[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what can you do with a virtual machine? i've been told the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: vbox_logo2_gradient.png (30 KB, 140x180) Image search: [Google]
vbox_logo2_gradient.png
30 KB, 140x180
what can you do with a virtual machine? i've been told the only save way to browse the internet is with a virtual machine. is this true and how do? is it something #soeasy a caveman™ can do it?®
>>
>>51518542
you can install gentoo on it
>>
>browsing the internet in a VM from a possibly compromised host
>safe

Nope.
>>
>>51518676
>possibly compromised
so if the host is clean then there are no worrys?
>>
You can do lots of shit with a VM.

I use it for penetration tests or just playing around with them.
>>
>>51518542
>browse internet
there are sandboxing programs that are designed to be transparent

look at how Sandboxie works for instance, there is almost no performance hit whatsoever and you can even run games in it.

(not sure if there are any open source alternatives)
>>
>>51518693
provided you have done your due dilligence to prevent "bridging the gap" between your vm and your host. as a number of hypervisors do make that possible for attackers to do when configured improperly.

you shouldnt have an issue.
>>
>>51518693
Not really

Some malware targets popular VM software. As VMs become more common you'll likely see more malware doing this

Then there is the malware which can detect if it's running inside a VM. It will lay dormant until it detects it's outside a VM at which point it will activate
>>
>>51518542
Honestly, if you're this concerned with browsing security your best bet is to switch to a more secure OS
>>
>>51518542
install 30 different OS in VM and playing with them every night
>>
You can try to ssh into your home machine from the virtual machine and order it to open up a virtual machine and then order a shutdown. That's usually fun.
>>
>>51518542
anyone ever put virtual machine inside virtual machine..like inception?
>>
All the tools I use for C are a million times easier in Linux (valgrind!!!!) but prefer using windows as a desktop.
>>
>what can you do with a virtual machine?
i have a bunch of hardware that are old and only have drivers for x86 os. like i have a usb scanner that only has x86 win 7 drivers. so i have installed in a vm that os and now can use that scanner on a win 10 x64 system. so now no need to get new hardware when using a new os.
>>
>>51521440
Yeah. So ?
>>
Your IPS knows everything you do on the internet regardless of OS mate.
>>
>>51521517
what is the max. layer of vm inception?
>>
playing retro vidya
>>
>>51518676
Open up a vm inside the vm and you're 100% safe.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.