[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw I need a new laptop. >tfw all of the new ones come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: feelshorribleman.jpg (73 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
feelshorribleman.jpg
73 KB, 900x900
>tfw I need a new laptop.
>tfw all of the new ones come with Windows 10.
I'm scared, /g/.
>>
given lenovo with superfish and now dell you'd think windows users would know better than to use any windows machine out of the box (i.e. without a fresh reinstall - and thus whichever version you want since you're wiping it anyway).

but I guess people like OP post to remind us that even on /g/ there are tech-illiterates.
>>
>tfw OP can't dual boot
>tfw OP can't VM
>tfw OP can't say fuck it and install your OS of choice on the HD if you don't like/know the first two choices
>>
>>51515615
>OP can't just install a new OS

are you an idiot?
>>
Maybe he doesnt want to pay for windows 7 and waste sn oem licence
>>
not op but don't you pay extra for the "privilege" to have wondose X
>>
>>51515615
>not building your own laptop
>>
>>51516008
>>51515727
Hey faggots, go try to install 7 on a lenovo that came with 10.

It's great fun.

>>51515615
MSI and Sager both make ones that still come with 7.
>>
>>51515615
Buy a used one for similar performance, half price, and Linux driver support. Done.
>>
>>51515615
Windows 10 is good, compared to 8.
>>
new business laptops come with either a choice preinstalled or a downgrade disc

you'd know this if you spent all your time dealing with old shitty software that businesses formed dependencies on. oh shit
>>
File: 2015-09-04.jpg (120 KB, 592x485) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-04.jpg
120 KB, 592x485
>>51516049
>disk management
>Shrink Win10 parition
>Install Win7 in larger partition
>Profit
literally worst case scenario. It's windows not open heart surgery.

>>51516054
Not really, looks and feels like the same OS to me except they replaced the live tiles with a live tile start menu...
Not to mention 10 gives all your info to Microjew
>>
>>51515615
What do you need a new laptop for OP?
>>
>>51516144
>Not to mention 10 gives all your info to Microjew
7 does too now.
>>
>>51516144
Yeah, except for how you can't install windows 7.
At all. The bios does not support it, the installer blue screens.

Hence why my piece of shit lenovo is currently sitting in a pile of rubbish next to me and my glorious Win7 asus is being used to tell you that microsoft want everyone on 10 way, WAY too much for my liking.

>>51516170
Or, here's a crazy thought, you could not be a dickhead and just not install the updates?
>>
>>51516290
What laptop model is this? Turn off secure boot. Turn on CSM. Make sure you have UEFI enabled media.
>>
>>51516314
Their cheap shit 15" one.
Tried all of that, ACPI compliant whatever. Other models got bios updates to fix this, mine and a few others didn't and lenovo have said they won't.

Stock up on Win7 laptops now, because very soon you won't be able to.
>>
>>51516008
he's a windows user. take a guess.
>>
>want to get new laptop
>modern laptops all lack the robust build quality and wealth of ports/features/support my old laptop has
>they barely have a higher resolution either (1366x768 eyecancer)
>>
>>51516049

Wait what happens when you try to install Win 7 on new laptops?
>>
>>51516383
In my experience, reports an ACPI error and blue screens.

Doesn't matter DVD or USB, didn't matter with an external USB DVD drive, didn't matter what BIOS settings i changed, tried an SSD with 7 already installed and it just got stuck in a boot loop.
>>
>>51516415
This is the world you chose when you chose to play by the rules of proprietary softaware.
>>
>>51515725
The issue with Dell isn't anywhere near as malicious as superfish
>>
>>51516415
Is this because of the fucking EFI shit ?
>>
>>51515615
>tfw all of the new ones come with Windows 10.
So just wipe it and put an actually good OS on it.
Or is /g/ not even capable of installing an operating system?
>>
>>51516528
How about reading the thread moron
>>
>>51516441
It wasn't as malicious, but it's just as dangerous; you don't need to be a genius to exploit the vector Dell exposed (and as far as I can tell it's not even clear WHY they did it - it might have been exactly the same motivation that was behind Superfish, in which case I think you're splitting hairs over a pretty serious violation of consumer trust).

Regardless of the intent (malicious or not), if you're telling me you would use a Dell model from the lines that were found to have the eDellRoot certificate *without* a fresh install from an image you trust, either you're a fool or Windows is a lot harder to install than I remember.

I worked tech support at my university in my undergrad and loading a ghost image onto a new machine took like 5 minutes. It can't take longer than an hour to install a new version of Windows on a machine. It doesn't take half as long to install *buntu and it took 40 minutes (at most) to get my hackintosh up and running (from beginning of installation screen to first independent boot).
>>
>>51516570
Oh I agree, you should always fresh install to get rid of bloat and other shit.
>>
I managed to install Win7 on a Windows 10 laptop that used UEFI and the new bootloader. Just install GRUB and you can install any OS you want. The hold-up is at the startup level, if you can boot into a Win7 compatible bootloader that also works on UEFI (Which GRUB is) then you're fine.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.