[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it really worth waiting a year for? It's not even going
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: i-35L9S0T2w0.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (33 KB, 878x494) Image search: [Google]
i-35L9S0T2w0.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
33 KB, 878x494
Is it really worth waiting a year for?

It's not even going to beat intel's last gen.
>>
>>51515322
You know they have not finished developing it yet, they can still improve the chip during that time.
But you are true about not going to beat intel last gen if the 40% performance boost stay like that.
>>
>>51515358
>lead architecture left
>in testing phase
>thinking there is going to be any major changes that will make big improvements.
>>
>>51515322
>Is it really worth waiting a year for?
Worth is an entirely subjective thing. If you had an existed intel i7E and needed more performance then you obviously wouldn't have any interest in Summit Ridge whatsoever.

>>51515358
The Zen core arch is entirely finished. AMD will be starting runs of engineering samples any time now if they haven't already.
>>
>>51515395
They already have engineering samples out right now, hence
>>51515322
It's not going to be a year, it's going to be closer to 6 months, and if they can deliver that 40% while matching or exceeding skylake efficiency, then it'll very much be worthwhile especially if they match intels prices just with more cores.

You are now imagining a 6700K for $20 less with 6 cores
>>
>>51515473
>$20 less

wow it's nothing
>>
It doesn't need to beat Intel's last gen.

It needs to give us a quad-core chip with SMT and a respectable serial performance/IPC at a respectable price.
>>
>>51515322
I think you've answered your own question
>>
>>51515322
given that intel is actually going to start selling workstation CPUs with >4 cores next year (and not just rebranded Xeons i9s or whatever), Zen looks credible within the industry at least.

If I can get a 6 or 8 core 3+ GHz CPU with ECC support at a reasonable price, I'll be ecstatic, regardless of who sells it to me.

Bulldozer didn't just fuck AMD, it fucked every consumer in the last 4+ years.
>>
>>51515383
keller came, did magic then left. Thats how he rolls.
>>
>>51515322
>It's not even going to beat intel's last gen.
Yeah it is. Maybe not in terms of flat out performance, but it will destroy intel in terms of price.
>>
I hope to build an all AMD Rig next year if Zen & the next gen of Radeom GPU's are good.

Im sick of intel and nvidia's bullshit.
>>
Maybe I will finally replace my ancient Q6600 rig. I really hope there are AMD socket mITX boards this time around.
>>
>>51516078
This. I'm building my friend an all AMD pc for christmas just to spite the bastards. I haven't upgraded my rig since I got my 2500k. well thats not true I got a gtx970. I'm part of the problem, but I just cant deal with the shitty drivers meme.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.