[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Discuss Also do you play with Vsync-On/Off?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: 4855341.jpg (49 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4855341.jpg
49 KB, 1280x720
Discuss

Also do you play with Vsync-On/Off?
>>
>>>/v/
>>
>>51513024

Isn't there being a tangible difference just a meme?
>>
>>51513024
monitor, v-sync off, framelimiter on
>>
>>51513024
Monitor, certainly. Vsync on, because I can't stand to see screen tearing.
>>
Monitor
>>
>>51513068
,tearing : visible
>>
>>51513068
This
>>51513069
Mild screen tearing is way more bearable than horrible input lag imo
>>
>>51513104
not much of an issue with a 144 hz monitor in most games, but it's not ideal either.

tearing sucks sure, input lag from v-sync does too. it's time tech like v-sync and freesync become common and we'll finally be done with this.
>>
what's the difference between using a tv as a monitor and using a monitor as a monitor other than televisions have built-in speakers
>>
>>51513168
Nothing, only size
>>
>>51513157
>not much of an issue with a 144 hz monitor in most games
screen tearing at 144hz is still very visible and not something should be defended, at all.the problem is people are now buying 144hz monitors with freesync while owning nvidia cards, probably due to shit advice from people telling them that gsync and freesync is a waste.
>>
>>51513067
tv's have a slower response time, its not a meme, and its not "audiophile" level shit, but it is "60fps" level shit, which is something, but it basically means its usually not cost effective to worry about unless you're both rich and really really love games to be as perfect as possible
>>
Triple buffering v-sync <3
>>
Don't even current LCD TVs have overscan?
>>
>>51513168
Response time and dpi
>>
>>51513024
Monitor. Higher refresh rate, gsync on. TV's don't come with display port. (As far as I know.) I don't even own a TV anymore.
>>
Play with a tv since its the only thing that fits on my tiny desk. I have a nice 27' monitor which I'd like to use but like I said, I'll have to get a new desk. I need the tv for general tv watching and consoles(lol).

And v sync on since I can't stand tearing.
>>
I use my tv. It has the same refresh rate as my monitor, but slightly better picture because it's like 3 years newer.

My vsync setting changes from game to game, I've had some that don't run decently on one setting or another.
>>
I hope to one day have a rig capable of running at a high enough FPS where it matters.
>>
>>51513024
On. That is the whole reason for 144hz monitors. Its to get 144 fps without taking your gpu to 90%+.

With it off, your gpu will try to push as many frame as possible.
>>
I apologize if this belongs in the /sqt/, but why is screen tearing still such an issue?
It is the year twenty-fifteen, after all.
>>
>>51513540
Because you're playing with monitors with a low refresh rate.
>>
>>51513024
Why is the mouse plugged into the monitor/tv
>>
File: CRT_color_enhanced.png (773 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
CRT_color_enhanced.png
773 KB, 1280x1024
Only video game I play is melee.
>>
>>51515427
I play on 144hz and I never see screen-tearing. Am I just retarded?
>>
>>51517127
Melee is for autistic man children.
>>
>>51517230
And? It's not like anybody here on /g/ isn't an autistic man child.
>>
>>51517230
All videogames are for autistic manchildren.
>>
File: display_hdmi.jpg (42 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
display_hdmi.jpg
42 KB, 1200x1200
since i don't have a HDMI 2.0 card (290x), would buying one of these display port to HDMI adapters be worthwhile for gaming?

i know it only gets 4:2:0 chroma subsampling but for gaming will i really notice any real lack of image quality?

i really don't give a damn about all the fancy things that monitors can do, size is king so i'm going with a 40-50 inch 4k tv for comfy gaming.

http://www.uptab.com/displayport-to-hdmi-4kat60hz-adapter-cable-gold-plated.html
>>
>>51513024
Either is fine, but you have to watch out for latency in TVs. Most modern TVs lag on input due to cheaper control chips.

Doesn't matter often, but try playing something like Battletoads or Megaman on it and you'll feel the delay. You can find monitors that are better about this more easily. Game mode in TVs helps, but it won't fix it for really fast stuff, not entirely.

Vsync depends on the game, some it helps some it makes worse.
>>
>>51517328

also what's up with these wasabi mango monitors? never heard of them. getting something with display port in the 40+ inch range at this price solves all these issues as far as i can see.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH2VD9559
>>
Monitor, vsync in driver not in game
>>
>>51513024
One factor not mentioned enough is TVs are often brighter than monitors. For me that makes a difference.
>>
>>51513168
Sometimes TVs have image enhancement built in that is a pain in the ass to turn off, or can't even be turned off completely.
>>
>>51513464
>csgo or any source engine game
>>
>>51513168
Monitors are better, TVs are cheaper. That's basically it
>>
>>51517990
>not wanting to play at 250+fps every competitive game and then cap it at 125 for a safety 'never under this number' zone
>>
i have a 144Hz freesync monitor with 32Hz-144Hz variable refresh so no vsync for me
>>
>>51513024
Well, because of space constraints I had to go with a PC monitor with a built-in TV-tuner thing.
Makes me wonder, since I switched to digital and run TV thru HDMI, would a simpler monitor (with built in speakers) suffice? Run PC via VGA/DVI/HDMI/whatever and another HDMI for TV. Is it even worth it? I have a remote that there wouldn't be for your typical monitor.
>>
>>51513024
Could a TV reach over 60 hz??
>>
>>51513024
Some gaming - especially non-fullscreen stuff, my monitor
>Dell U2410, 1920x1200, AH-IPS, 1200:1 static contrast

FPS'es and the like, a TV
>Sony KDL32CX520, 1920x1080, ASV, 5000:1 static constrast
>>
>>51517963
TV's generally have better contrast as people see them side-by-side in a shop when buying rather than looking up marketing memewords.

Most TV's are VA like technologies, which offer typical 3000:1-6000:1 (most at 5000:1) static contrast vs. IPS and IPS-like which is usually around 1000:1

IPS is a shitty meme that needs to die - IPS is great for sensitive color work, that it - for everything else VA is better.
>And if you don't care about >120degree domain shift, TN is the fastest.
>>
>>51519978
I don't see why they couldn't. Problem is consoles on a TV are never over 60fps, movies run at 60, TV shows max at 60. Manufacturers have no real reason to push a TV's refresh rate.
>>
RGB x CMYK
Cmyk if are a designer
Rgb for games and everything else
>>
>>51519236
you are supposed to have vsync on or the freesync wont work m8
>>
>>51521307
>60 fps movies and tv
I wish
>>
>>51513104
nig put limiter to 62 fps, tearing is moire pattern in time.
>>
>>51513024
this has nothing to do with technology. take this to >>>/v/
>>
>>51513024
dynamic vsync through radeonpro
syncs frames when im at or above 120fps, disables vsync if below 120

also this fixes a lot of games with locked framerates or shitty vsync implementations, like dead space.
>>
>>51513024
i play with vsync on because i dont like screen tearing.. i turn it off if there isnt any tearing..
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.