[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
60Hz vs 144Hz Monitors - Are they worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: conventionalCLD.jpg (48 KB, 563x321) Image search: [Google]
conventionalCLD.jpg
48 KB, 563x321
Alright guys, it's getting close to black friday, most stores are already starting to do all types of discounts and shit but I'm kinda wondering if I should get a 144HZ monitor.

>Are 144Hz monitors actually worth the extra money upgrading from a 60Hz?

I've got a BenQ GL2460HM 24" LED monitor now. Size is perfect, good quality, 60hz so I don't have any problems with it at all. But is it worth spending another £200 to buy a new 144Hz monitor? Will it really be that noticeable for me to say this was definately worth the extra cash, and I can never go back to 60Hz?

If I was to upgrade I'd probably get a 24" like the one I have now, just a 144hz.
>>
I don't think they are, old games and some new ones have problems with higher frequency (like crashing or blinking).
>>
>>51511639
It depends on what you play.
Racing games, rhythm games, and fast multiplayer FPS? Impossible to go back to 60Hz.
RTS, RPGs, slower FPS? Not a huge difference, especially if your card isn't capable of delivering >100Hz.

>>51511672
I've never had this happen. And if it does, you can easily set your monitor to temporarily run at 60Hz.
>>
>>51511672
what

>>51511639
yes. i have been doing 60hz all my life and 144/120 is just amazing. even moving your mouse around is awesome, never mind the difference in games.

if you just use your pc for work, then probably not worth it. if you play games, especially csgo, then you'll see a huge difference. if all you do is program and browse the chans then its probably not worth it for you.

games - yes get it

everything else - no
>>
>>51511870
you can set the monitor to 60Hz that easily? if so, my comment is useless.
>>
>>51511870
144hz monitor usually has shitty colours too. It's a very niche item because of this.
>>
>>51511639
just using the desktop feels better.
However, nvidia+144hz doesn't bode well on most of linux(except kde).

60hz animation looks like poopoo with a 144hz monitor as there isn't any blur.
>>
>>51512007
what is 144hz IPS and VA
>>
>>51512053
expensive
>>
>>51512065
yes
>>
>>51511639
It's funny what this picture indicates is slightly misleading. Both 60 and 144hz are shit for motion clarity. What you need is a strobed backlight to lower the display's persistence, for CRT motion clarity. Then the refresh rate is rather a variable of your source content's frame rate rather than one being better than the other. 60hz at 60fps with a backlight strobing 60 times per second = perfect motion clarity and it is a thing of beauty.
>>
Really not that big of a deal unless you are playing very fast moving (Quake, racing) games. Can't really notice a huge difference for CS either and it certainly isn't as big a deal from 30 FPS to 60 FPS
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.