[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ex winfag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: linux-logo-600x300.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
linux-logo-600x300.png
41 KB, 505x250
Hi /g/

please help me here;
I have HP EliteBook 8730w and I want to install some linux distro.

specs: 2GB ram, intel 2 duo cpu @2.53 GHz

wat do?

Thank you.
>>
Pick a distro based on what you want from it.
Copy to usb or DVD
Install
Enjoy
>>
>>51509637
ubuntu or mint?
>>
>>51509637
Make a T-chart.
>>
>>51509914
pls do it
>>
File: Ospicker.png (493 KB, 3000x1568) Image search: [Google]
Ospicker.png
493 KB, 3000x1568
>>51509618
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux#Recommended_Distributions
>>
OP here. I want fully encrypted linux system.
Is there some guide on how to do it? Can I do it with any distro?
>>
>>51510395
THANK YOU MAN!
>>
File: debian.jpg (192 KB, 1421x607) Image search: [Google]
debian.jpg
192 KB, 1421x607
halp!
>>
>>51510395
>do you like package managers
>no
>slackware

heh
>>
>>51510403

you can't have an encrypted boot(ergo no "full" encryption) partition unless you have hardware that supports it (such as a libre/coreboot thinkpad or other computer), if you don't want an unencrypted boot partition on the system then you'll have to stick it on a usb or something (also unencrypted)

otherwise literally any gnu+linux installer that supports encryption will be 99% comparable
>>
>>51510444
please don't install linux on mommy and daddies computer

they will be really upset
>>
>>51510495
Ok, but can I have my home partition encrypted? Is this enough?

>>51510531
I am the father. heh.
>>
So I want to download debian. Can someone give me the actual link? Because getting Debian is rather difficult to average winfag.
>>
>>51510595
pls anyone respond. this is a major issue to most people who wants to migrate from win to linux.
>>
>>51509618

If shit doesn't work right out of the box for you, then move to the next best distro on the flowchart. Forget about looks for right now. Just try to get an environment setup where you can start learning the basics.

It's really important you don't have to dick around with drivers your first time. This is always a problem for an ex winfag moving to Linux...their hardware purchases were not made with Linux in mind. Before you know it you'll be copy-pasting incomprehensible shit you find in the Ubuntu forums onto your command line, desperate to get something to work, which is a nerve wracking process.

The user friendly distro's are light years ahead of where they were ten years ago. My five-year-old daughter could install most of them. But there's only so much they can do if a hardware mfg is less than cooperative.

Also, it is imperative you check these out, so you aren't stuck in your graphical desktop and helpless at the command line. Linux is all about the CLI, that's where all the action is. After you get your feet wet you will agree...

http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/intro-linux.pdf
http://tldp.org/LDP/GNU-Linux-Tools-Summary/GNU-Linux-Tools-Summary.pdf
>>
>>51510625
>>51510595

https://www.debian.org/CD/

Debian might be worth a shot, but I don't recall how noob friendly it is. I remember getting setup was pretty easy, then again I'm a Slackware user, it's hard to forget everything you know and pretend you know nothing about Linux again.

Just get comfy and burn a bunch of distro live CD's. This is the funnest part! Distro hopping as a total noob is something you can only do once, so if one starts up all broken, skip it and move to the next one. Have fun.
>>
>>51510748
thanx bro. my DVD drive is kill, so I'll go with USB. I really want Debian and please can you give me advice on 32 vs 64 regarding my specs ; HP EliteBook 8730w 2GB ram, intel 2 duo cpu @2.53 GHz.

And yes, I know I'm total noob regarding linux but any advice will do.

thanx in advance.
>>
>>51510636
>If shit doesn't work right out of the box for you, then move to the next best distro on the flowchart. Forget about looks for right now. Just try to get an environment setup where you can start learning the basics.

man, after jerking of for decades with windows, I think that I'm fully capable to deal with few issues on linux system.

that is a fact.
>>
So, what do you recommend? Stable or unstable version of Debian?
>>
File: debian.jpg (97 KB, 673x383) Image search: [Google]
debian.jpg
97 KB, 673x383
>which one?
>>
>>51510847

I looked up your laptop, it's 64 bit.

So you want amd64.

Google-ing shows folks run into driver issues (of course). But as time goes on, people on a distro's forums work this stuff out. Linux Mint might be the way to go.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

>>51510978

No offense, but in Linux land being proficient with Windows just means you're the smartest kid on the short bus. It's not your fault, it's the way the system is set up.

>>51511150

None of those, you want the amd64 iso: http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/amd64/bt-hybrid/
>>
File: apu.png (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
apu.png
51 KB, 500x500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlmgwHAXgB4

is indian guy right?
>>
>>51511302
>I looked up your laptop, it's 64 bit.
OK, but some of my program settings are for 32bit on win. For example, I can transfer my Firefox user folder to linux ONLY if it is 32bit as it was on win7? Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm thinking; if most of my software was on win32bit then maybe I can transfer its settings to linux 32? Maybe I'm wrong, but I know it can be done with Firefox and Keefox and certain video players etc,etc..
>>
>>51511398
...also, since word alternatives are still not compatible with word, can I run msword on virtual machine?
>>
And one thing that is most important to me: can linux remember last window size and position?
>>
>>51511398

You'll be able to transfer your settings to 64 bit Linux just fine.

>>51511430

Sure you can. But that will take some figuring out. Why don't you first see if you can even get Linux running?

>>51511472

Holy crap...yeah, sure. It depends on your desktop environment.

Don't post here again until you burn a Debian iso and a Mint iso, along with a few others, and try them out.
>>
>>51511535
ty. will try Debian 64
>>
>>51511599
lxde
>>
>>51510847
>I really want Debian
No you really don't want that on a laptop
I suggest trying out Lubuntu, it is much mire beginner friendly
>>
>>51511665
b-but I want rock solid rolling distro!
>>
>>51511684
Yes but you might have to install some drivers for wifi and GPU manually
Also only the unstable versions are rolling releases
>>
>>51509618
Pick a distro and install gentoo.
>>
>>51511701
>unstable versions are rolling releases
Are you saying that Debian stable is not rolling distro? Also, I'm just about to download all drivers for my laptop.
>>
>>51511743
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/24865/is-debian-stable-a-rolling-release
>>
>>51511684
Debian is the polar opposite of a rolling release.
If you insist on using it, at least get the non-free version that actually has drivers.
>>
>>51511761
ty for the link. I want to have a rolling linux distro. Is Mint Debian only solution?
>>
>>51511806
Mint isn't rolling either. Opensuse tumbleweed is about the only one of reccomend for you if you want some level of stability.
>>
>>51511806
> I want to have a rolling linux distro
Why? Do you want things to break randomly?
As I said, get Lubuntu. It has all the drivers built-in or can install them with 1 click. And the packages are not outdated, but also not full with bugs. I'd suggest avoiding Mint, the developers are a bit behind and have stupid preinstalled software
>>
>>51511862
Why do you think that Lubuntu is better than Debian lxde?
>>
>>51509618
how the fuck were the first 5 comments not >install gentoo
>>
>>51511920
Because it contains "unfree" software like more drivers.
>>
>>51511942
because all the kiddies are at school right now
>>
>>51511948
is that all?
>>
>>51511988
It's quite important, you know
Manually installing drivers on linux is something you really want to avoid
>>
Linux kernel is shit, install openBSD
>>
>>51509879
mint is a meme

go for any *buntu except vanilla (unity)
>>
>>51512013
ok, but how the distro "knows" what to install? or it has all on the .iso

btw, I think I can handle downloading and installing proprietary drivers.

and, what do you think; is it better to have a rolling distro or not?
>>
>>51512095
1. it detects the hardware
2. No you can't if you don't even know if you need 32 or 64 bit
3. rolling releases are only good if you really know what you're doing
>>
>>51512095
>I think I can handle downloading and installing proprietary drivers
Sorry m8 but you can't.
>>
ok, to recapitulate; what would /g/ recommend?
http://strawpoll.me/6093811
>>
>>51509618
Mint seems 2 dumbproof R U and make sure you pick cinnammon or some other distro with for example lxde (low resource hungry) DE
>>
>>51512210
Non-rolling: any *buntu spin
Rolling: Suse tumbleweed
>>
one more question. for example, I have lubuntu 15.10.

how can I upgrade it without changing my current settings etc? is it fucked up like in windows?
>>
>>51511743
The problem with debian is that it has problems with non-free drivers because they are not free as in freedom. So it deletes them because nonfree(as in freedom) programs are malware. Usually wifi and gpu drivers are not free(as in freedom)
Rock solid doesnt mean what you thin it means. It wont crash on you, because its stable, but again, neither will any other distro unless your are using them 24h a day every day. Debian is stable because you can have a server running it and never restart in years. Other distros may require restarts or may crash on you after a couple of weeks of nonstop running. You dont need debian. Its not user-friendly at all. If you really really want to install it go ahead, but you have been warned. Dont come crying to /g/ if you cannot connect to the internet or cannot use a printer because of the nonexisting drivers or
>>
>>51512294
No, its ok. Its gnu/linux
>>
>>51512412
that does not make any sense because, for example, nvidia drivers are proprietary on ANY linux distro. am I right?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTQbiNvZqaY

to all /g/ tards

thank you for your help
>>
>>51509618

Well OP, don't leave us hanging, did you do it?

Did you manage to click "next next next" on the Lubuntu install CD,
are you trying to get your 64-bit driver blobs to run on your 32-bit Debian install,
or did you just decide to just start with Linux From Scratch, since you're a Windows Pro?

Screen shots please!
>>
>>51513582
I'v downloaded Debian lxde 64bit and lubuntu 15.10 64bit. I will try both tomorrow from usb. It can go either way desu. I'm sick of windows...
>>
>>51513582
>Screen shots please!
will post it tomorrow...
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.