[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: sp3UApA.jpg (355 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
sp3UApA.jpg
355 KB, 1500x1500
Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try Linux, you can:

1) Install a Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU/Linux (not recommended)

If you are serious about switching to Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-*buntus except vanilla Ubuntu (Unity)
-Debian (For Broadcom devices, use an ISO that includes non-free firmware)
-openSUSE
-LinuxMint (a.k.a Ubuntu LTS + Cinnamon)

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
What is Linux (or GNU/Linux for Stallmanists)?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First Linux (What distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/
>>
>>51500696
How does that image make any since whatsoever?
>>
Any WINE experts here? I want to play the Street Fighter V beta through wine but it errors out with an unintelligible mess of logs.

What's the general process to troubleshoot and move forward with software that doesn't work on wine?
>>
>>51500930
>What's the general process to troubleshoot
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
>>
>>51500725
How does your reply make any since whatsoever?
>>
How can I install Linux on a Dynamic disk?
>>
>>51501399
>Dynamic disk
Isn't that a MS thing? If so, it's probably best not to try.
>>
Is there any reason not to install pulseaudio?
>>
>>51501453

takes up hd space
>>
What's the best desktop environment? Building a new Arch machine
>>
>>51501511
if i had to pick a whole de, would be xfce or mate i guess. shit question though, different strokes.
>>
Is there any way to rotate a single window an arbitrary amount on kde?
>>
>>51501555
why is that a shit question? what do you mean if you had to pick a whole DE desu senpai
>>
>>51501511
That's basically just a matter of taste.
>>
>>51501511
>>51501621
A desktop environment is simply a collection of different programs, typically a window manager (the thing that handles titlebars and windows), display manager (the login screen), and normall other software such as file managers and text editors.

I wouldn't recommend a full desktop environment, instead I'd advise getting a window manager such as OpenBox and then messing around with that. You'll have to learn how to modify configuration files in the beginning, but it can be helpful.

With as little knowledge as you appear to have (don't take this as an insult), Arch is going to be tough. It took me over 50 different tries of installing Arch before I finally got it right, and I've been learning ever since. In short, this will not be something you accompolish overnight.
>>
>>51500696
I run Ubuntu on my Chromebook using crouton. Ask me anything!
>>
>>51501621
why? cause it's b8 silly, and i run awesome wm usually. It's nice n light which is great cause my computer is trash.
>>
>>51500696
best window managers: gwm, mwm, w9wm, dwm
best desktop environments: CDE, XFCE
>>
>>51501666
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

I'm a linux admin that came from the windows world. I've been running a shitty ubuntu box for a year to manage all our Centos/RHEL machines and have built a few arch and black arch vm's with Gnome... but i'm building a new desktop and want to do it right. Just started trolling /g/ and been wondering what everyone uses.
>>
>>51501715
>Just started trolling /g/ and been wondering what everyone uses.

there wont be one answer. in the unix world people are used to setting things up the way they like them. try out a few different window managers (ts not hard to switch between them) and see which one you like.
>>
Can someone help me out. I've been trying to install linux mint for hours (dual boot with existing windows 10)

- Installed via USB stick in the traditional method
- The installer didn't pick up that windows 10 was already on there, so I had to partition it myself (this was where it started to go downhill, because I don't know what I am doing).
- Gave it a root and home partition and a swap drive, didn't give it a boot partition because I think I assigned that to the existing windows one.
- I've done so many things and created such a mess that I don't really know what state it is in anymore.

Linux appears to be on the computer it just isn't booting into it. I have tried editing things from the live cd as well as from within windows using a grub editor.
Every time I set up grub it just seems to skip through it and go straight into windows every time.

Don't know what else to try really, it's driving me crazy.

Linux is fun

In conclusion, how to get grub to come up with windows 10
>>
>>51501903
>/boot assigned to existing windows one
Well, I have bad news for you, I think.
You might have overwritten your Windows partition that way if you formatted it or chose another file system.

Generally, you should create these partition:
/home where all your personal files go.
/root (often just / ) where the system files go (15-25GB should be plenty)
/swap should be around the same size of your physical RAM if you want to create one. Though, on computers with 8GB RAM or more I generally don't create a swap partition.

These are the partitions you should be creating.
/boot is not really necessary, as this is where the Linux Kernel and GRUB config goes. These can be put on the / partition just fine.
>>
>>51501974
Ok, so I did have my root, home and swap parts... then I proceeded with installation.

After this it still presents some error about it cant create the bootloader or something like that, and an option to chose where I want to put it
>>
>>51500696
>no XFCE
WHY?
>>
>>51502022
Could you post a screenshot of your current partition layout?
Use gparted to show it.

>>51502032
deprecated
>>
>>51502022
>After this it still presents some error about it cant create the bootloader or something like that,
The exact error message is probably important. Post it.

>and an option to chose where I want to put it
What did you select?

>>51502038
>Could you post a screenshot of your current partition layout?
And this too.
>>
Booting from a USB leaves the operating system on my HDD unchanged, right?
>>
>>51502059
Yes.
>>
>>51502059
yup. Unless it's some kind of disk-wiping tool. That should be obvious enough.
>>
>>51502059
>Booting from a USB leaves the operating system on my HDD unchanged, right?
Yes, unless you actually make changes.
>>
>>51502038
>deprecated
As far as I know it's not
Define deprecated
>>
>>51502092
>Define deprecated
"I don't like it, and I'm T3H MEME KING of \g\!"
>>
>>51502109
That make sense
>>
File: 20151124_204312.jpg (620 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
20151124_204312.jpg
620 KB, 2048x1152
>>51502038
Sorry for the delay lol
>>
>>51502109
>no GTK3
>no Wayland support
Tell me how that isn't deprecated.
>>
>>51502048
I didn't write it down at the time but I will try again and see what it says.
Thanks friend
>>
>>51502119
>/dev/sdb5 - BIOS GRUB
If you want to use that, you'll need to select "/dev/sdb" as the grub install target, not "/dev/sdb5". It's counter intuitive, and I ran into that issue years ago.
>>
>>51502159
I dont know if i want to use it or not. I just want something that will work. Do you think I should load boot loader onto there or onto where the windows is (sda)?
>>
Tfw Linus wrote 1.0.0 in his early 20s and I can barely read it at 21
>>
File: 2015-11-24 20.54.32.jpg (863 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-24 20.54.32.jpg
863 KB, 2048x1152
>>51502180
To sda or sdb, that is the question
>>
>>51502180
>I dont know if i want to use it or not. I just want something that will work.
It's what I do.

>Do you think I should load boot loader onto there or onto where the windows is (sda)?
I always put the biosgrub partition at the front of the drive. I can't actually recall if that's necessary or not.

>>51502206
Try "/dev/sdb", I guess.
>>
>>51502206
slap it on sdb to have the windows drive isolated
>>
>>51502119
I think it would be best starting over fron scratch on your Linux HDD.

Delete all Linux partitions on it and create, as mentioned earlier, a /, /home and /swap (if needed) partition.

When you install Mint again, there should be a dropdown menu somewhere that asks you for the device you want to install the GRUB bootloader on. Choose /dev/sda (without a number) for that.
Grub should then hopefully be intelligent enough to recognize the Windows partition and add it to its menu entries.
>>
>>51502234
Thanks for your help, much apprecited. Will update in a minute with my latest errors no doubt
>>
>almost 2016
>tracker-extract still trying to swallow all of my CPU
For fuck's sake, GNOME.
>>
>>51502250
here

>>51502234
>>51502241
These could also work.
Keep in mind, that you have to boot from your HDD and not the SSD then.
>>
Well after not being able to get void linux to work, I'm at a loss at what to try to install next. I really don't want to use arch.
>>
>>51502273
>tfw windows still loading every time
Feels good

The installation seemed to work fine, but the bootloadig option isnt coming up. Any suggestions?
Ive tried booting from both drives in the bios
>>
File: ching chong to E4.jpg (615 KB, 1137x1101) Image search: [Google]
ching chong to E4.jpg
615 KB, 1137x1101
This may be better suited for /v/ but I'm out of town on someone elses computer running my OS from a thumb drive, it has an old dual core duo, 3GB of RAM but no graphics acceleration. I'm gonna be here for 2 weeks and there's nobody else here and nothing to do, I need a list of OSS games that I can play, if I don't get them I may accidentally do something productive instead.

No real restrictions except for graphical ones, I can run things like gnome solitare, rougelike games, etc. just nothing too 3D intensive. What's some good stuff?
In particular I'm trying to find a good graphical implementation of the Go board game right now.
>>
>>51502585
There's always Tux Racer.
Otherwise Battle for Wesnoth should be able to occupy you for quite some time, great game.
>>
>>51502585
You can install Cave Story from AUR if you happen to run arch, dunno about other distros.
Touhous run fine in wine.
>>
>>51502585
>What's some good stuff?
telnet nethack.alt.org
OpenTTD
The Powder Toy
Battle for Wesnoth
OpenXcom
Old games in DOSBox
>>
File: tux_beastie.png (180 KB, 450x243) Image search: [Google]
tux_beastie.png
180 KB, 450x243
>>51502652
>>51502663
Thanks for the suggestions, BfW looks really cool, OpenTTD also looks good. Gonna look into lists of DOS games, that totally slipped my mind.

>>51502662
I have been meaning to replay that but I'm a little worried about performance, I'll have to try it out and see with NXEngine. For reference I'm on FreeBSD which is why it needs to be open source specifically (need to compile it for my platform). I know it's not Linux but I wanted to ask friendly GNU users because I figure we're all in good company here. Worst comes to worst though I could try things like the Linuxulator, WINE, and DOSBox, I'm also going to see how well retroarch will work in software mode.
>>
Does the average Linux desktop look like the ones in the desktop threads or are they just posers?
>>
>>51502788
depends on how much into ricing the user is
>>
>>51502788
I just use stock Xubuntu. I assume most people do the same with a few tweaks and different themes.
>>
Do any file managers have context menu extraction?
>>
I bought this second-hand quad port LAN card Intel PRO/1000 PT EXPI9404PTG1P20
it's PCIE port..
debian jessie doesn't recognize it..
even after "modprobe e1000e"
I thought it's gonna work out of the box..
anyone know how to solve this?
much appreciated.
>>
>>51500725
>>51501015
I accidentally since whatsoever
>>
So... I'm trying to decide between Cinnamon and KDE 5, I just tried KDE and I'm in love with the design, but, is it a bad DE? I mean, heard a lot of shit about it, like unstable, crashes, etc

I have a 4GB RAM and no video card laptop.

(Gnome looks like shit to me, to Apple OSX)
>>
>>51502788
most desktop threads are full of archfags that use their pc's to code stuff no one will ever use and find/watch/create/save massive amounts of loli.

Your average Linuxfag usually has a good ol' standard KDE/XFCE desktop.
>>
Running manjaro, I switched from thunar to xfe since thunar kept crashing when renaming files. Has anyone else had this problem with thunar?
>>
>>51503093
if you like it, use it. If you run into problems repeatedly, consider switching
>>
>>51503093
Cinnamon is XFCE for losers.

Most DE's are OK, and work fine unless you break your OS. And you can always change your DE following a few easy steps in most distros w/o theneed to reinstall.
>>
>>51503115
>>51503110

Coming from W7, and I'm trying to get the best experience with DE's, have tried almost all out there, those are my two options. XFCE it's kinda allright, but not my tipe, nor DE's thst looks like OSX.

Thanks guys for the advice, more suggestions appreciated.
>>
>>51503064
did you try this?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15817/Network-Adapter-Driver-for-PCI-E-Gigabit-Network-Connections-under-Linux-
>>
>>51502297
D E B I A N

E

B

I

A

N
>>
how do start ssh on bootup?
I'm using arch and open ssh and I can't get ssh to work
>>
>>51502202
We can hug if you want
>>
>>51503144
done it..
compile and load the module "e1000e"
still doesn't work..
removed the module.
then compile the source code from http://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/e1000e%20stable/
still doesn't work...
>>
>>51503186
ssh starts at bootup by default
>>
>>51503186
ssh server?
# systemctl enable sshd

Replace enable by start if you want to start the service while the system's up.
>>
>>51503204
it still says permission denied
>>
>>51503221
What command gives that?
>>
>>51503226
ssh on my computer when i try to ssh into the VM
>>
>>51503233
Are you trying to ssh as root@ip and didn't set a root password?
>>
>>51503240
no im trying to ssh into my user account
I did the allowusers thing and put my username there
>>
>>51503233
Paste output. I don't see how the ssh client could trigger a permission error.
>>
>>51503249
did you fuck with iptables at all?
And just to be sure, what's the output of "systemctl status sshd"?
>>
>>51503271
no
see pic
>>51503266
any idea how to do that?
host system is a mac and im using parallels
>>
wats a webdev ide I can use on arch? atom wont build from yaourt and I cant be stuffed setting up vim
>>
>>51500696
Is support for LXQT good now?

Using LXDE on a chomebook wouldn't mind trying something else, but trying to stick to resource low stuff. And while I like the Gnome 2 forks they seem heavier than Gnome 2 was.
>>
>>51503281
>Active: inactive (dead)
try "systemctl start sshd"
and if you didn't run enable before but want it to autostart on boot, run enable command too
>>
>>51503303
nvm the enabled part, I can't read
>>
>>51503266
>>51503281
I figured it out
I just added the # before the allowed user and im going to re test after I reboot
http://pastebin.com/YTMX269m
>>51503303
parallels decided it won't unmount the disk (I can't believe I paid $50 for this) so I'm going to try to reboot
>>
>>51503327
>I just added the #
# comments the line out, you don't want that
>>
>>51502785
nxengine works fine on openbsd at least

also try ur-quan masters, capitan sevilla, opentyrian freedroidrpg neverball frozen-bubble pingus dustrac colobot garden heroes solarus widelands wizznic alephone mirrormagic naev tong

also, good emulators: gambatte mgba fceux mupen64plus dgen scummvm residualvm
>>
>>51503343
I know, i did it to test something else out
>>51503303
I can run the "systemctl start sshd" just fine without any errors
and I tried with and without the allowed users and it still doesn't work
>>
what command brings up the distro logo and specs? I see it quite often here.
>>
>>51503407
screenfetch
>>
>>51503327
You look clueless. ssh login is far more straightforward than you might think.
1. your VM need to be on the same subnet, the virtual network interface should be bridged to the real one
2. configure network in the VM
3. start ssh server with
# systemctl start sshd

the "#" is the privileged command prompt, that means you need to be root for that
4. get the IP address of the virtual network interface of your VM
5. fire up your mac terminal and
$ ssh [VM user]@[VM IP]

It should be as simple as that if you didn't tinker with iptables on your VM.
>>
>>51501686
How does it feel installing a linux on chrome os instead of actually installing linux on a device and installing chrome on it?
>>
I hate the default Lightdm I have in Xubuntu.Have anyone used any alternative LightDm Wekit greeter?
>>
>>51503419
still doesn't work
and im not THAT stupid

also having the adapter set to "shared" has never caused any issues on any virtual machine that i've used in parallels.
it's just arch that refuses to just werkâ„¢
>>
>>51503462
Really stupid request: is the virtual network interface up and connected (having an IP, gateway, etc.)?
>>
>>51503478
yes to both
>>
Probably not the correct thread to ask this in, but what if I just want to simulate the UNIX-like environments of Arch on Windows 10? This is literally the only appeal that Linux has for me, if it weren't for coreutils and the support for twm then that'd be it.

I've seen a few people on desktop threads screenfetch on their windows machines, but I'm assuming that they're using bblean/openbox and cygwin, right?
>>
>>51503489
After you start the sshd service on the VM, what does
systemctl status sshd
output?
>>
>>51503490
also, is there a package manager for windows similar to homebrew for OSX?
>>
>>51503499
Windows Update and Microsoft Store :^)
>>
>>51503490
cygwin, it has a package manager on its own and you can even install a DE with it.
>>
>>51503498
no idea why it takes so long to run "systemctl start sshd"
>>
>>51503490
You might be better off running a headless install somewhere. Cygwin is an abyss that doesn't really give you integration with the windows environment.
>>
>>51503545
Okay, now, ssh from the host.
>>
>>51503568
wait I think I found the issue
my friend's shitty little command to give me the ip address was giving me the broadcast address instead of the actual ip address so I just tried to ssh into everything in my VMs network
>>
>>51503097
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26411
>>
Is the privacy issue on Ubuntu the main reason to not use it?
>>
>>51503700
It's too mainstream for /g/ to recommend it
>>
any way to upload pics from dillo?
>>
I need help with XFCE, every time i right click to get the context menu appear, if i dont unpress the button i can move the mouse to an option of the context menu and then unpress the mouse button and it will click that option (notice that this shouldnt be happening, continue reading for why). The problem? When in a regular use, you probably are going to press the right click, and before unpressing you are going to move the mouse just 2 or 3 pixels at least into the context menu because you have the intention of using one of those options and because inertia you are going to move it just a bit, and boilá, first option clicked without wanting to

I need to know if this happens to you, and how to disable it
In Windows for example this doesnt happens, you have to click twice, one for opening the menu and one for clicking the option (and the second one with the other mouse button)
I dont know/remember if this happens in the rest of DE
>>
Currently running the linux 4.1.13-1 kernel, is there a reason to change to 4.2.6-1 or even 4.3.0-1 as of yet?
>>
>>51504732
If your distro has the repo in the official (not beta/unstable), then upgrade.
>>
>>51501686

Why don't you just flash the bios and run Linux directly instead of being dependent on the chrome kernel?
>>
>>51504732
Is there a reason to use 4.1.13-r rather than 3.2.73?
>>
>>51503700
The privacy led to lack of trust in canonical so yes and no.
>>
File: 1448342126451.jpg (759 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
1448342126451.jpg
759 KB, 1500x1500
>>51500696
OP fixed your image to conform to the new KDE UI.
>>
>>51503407
Screenfetch,Archey3,Alsi,or Linux Logo.
>>
Are we living in the future yet?
Do we have flif support yet?
>>
>>51505797
>Do we have flif support yet?
father i'd like to 'fuck'?
>>
>>51503490
There isn't really anything like that. Cygwin's nice but it doesn't integrate with Windows at all, it's more like a separate system that exists alongside it. There is a tiling WM written in C# but the dev abandoned it and went back to using Linux before he could make it stable enough for daily use.
>>
>>51504732
It depends on your needs, do you expect us to be able to read your mind?
>>
Last time I asked about a secure replacement for NFS, and I got replies about NFS over SSH and SSHFS.

Which one would you guys use, and why?
>>
Anyone have any experience with RAID5 arrays and mdadm?

I have a disk which used to be a spare in a RAID array, but now I wanted to install a system on it since my primary non-RAID disk died.

I removed the former-spare from the array (mdadm --remove), formatted it, created new partitions on it, and installed ubuntu on it, but at every reboot it keeps getting added back to the RAID array as a spare for some reason, making it impossible to boot from it since the device is considered busy.
>>
>>51506126
you still have a option, samba. though.
>>
>>51506149
use wipefs to clear any signatures from the disk (might want to back up what you put on it though)
>>
>>51506192
oh yea, the reason this is happening is because you did a quick format when going to put ubuntu on it, which didn't zero out all of mdadm's superblock backups, as far as mdadm is concerned, it's simply a damaged mdadm disk
>>
When I boot my laptop with a Debian live image the Wifi card doesn't seem to work, but it did on mint and Ubuntu
Does this mean I will have to install its drivers later? I've heard about Debian being quite annoying when it comes to propietary drivers
>>
>>51506192
>>51506211
Thanks anon, that's sounds like a very plausible reason for my problem. I'll try it now.
>>
>>51501511
gnome shell anon
>>
>>51501903
your existing windows 10 should have come with a ~500Mb partition for boot handling, let's say its located at /dev/sda1.

suppose you have already installed Mint, boot from your live cd, you should have systemd installed (I believe its the current default for mint, if not I'm not sure how I can help), check it by typing in
bootctl status
if it shows some messages, its all good. navigate to your root dir cd / do a
mv /boot /boot.bak
and then
mkdir /boot
mount /dev/sda1 /boot
cp -R /boot /boot.windows

(suppose /dev/sda1 is the windows 10 boot partition)
bootctl --path=/boot install

after that you can follow this section https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-boot#Configuration to configure the boot

if anything goes wrong, you have a backup of your original /boot at /boot.bak and a backup of the windows boot at /boot.windows.

Good luck
>>
>>51506283
i know because i ran into the same thing

i suppose it's a good thing it's hard to 'damage' the data far enough that mdadm can't still recognize the disk
>>
>>51506179
No, I need Unix-style permissions for my needs
>>
File: fuck.png (118 KB, 848x623) Image search: [Google]
fuck.png
118 KB, 848x623
Any GTK theming wizards know how the fuck I can get rid of this annoying as fuck overshot indicator when I scroll to the top or bottom of any window?
>>
>>51500930

What direct x version does SFV need?
>>
>>51501511
>What's the best desktop environment? Building a new Arch machine
i3, in my opinion. Xmonad is the same basic thing but slightly glitchier and much harder to customize the .i3/config file.
>>
How do I make each instance of "tilda" have a different name in the topbar so that I don't get them confused? Changing the "title" option in the config file does nothing.
>>
>>51506211
>>51506192
>>51506405
Thanks Anon, it worked like a charm!
>>
>>51506580
>Any GTK theming wizards know how the fuck I can get rid of this annoying as fuck overshot indicator when I scroll to the top or bottom of any window?
Stop using Gnome programs and start using Dolphin.
>>
I can't configure wireless network during Arch install. Wat do?
>>
>>51506871
Install a distro you are capable of installing.
>>
>>51506878
How about BunsenLabs?
>>
>>51506871
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_network_configuration
>>
>>51506892
good.
>>
>>51506076
well, the NSA can. Why not you?
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.png (33 KB, 1191x842) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.png
33 KB, 1191x842
1) Does it matter whether I download the older LTS or the current version of Ubuntu? I assume in either case it will easily upgrade to the next release which is the next LTS in a few months?

2) How can I get a feel for whether I want it when running off a DVD is slow as balls. I ran Xubuntu off a USB stick before fully converting my netbook and it was a bit slower than a local install but still usable. But I tried Mint in DVD form (got old DVDs to use and no free memory stick over 1GB) and it was even slower than USB. Even opening a new browser tab caused the DVD drive to fire up.
>>
>>51506892
Can you install it?
>>
>>51507043

Also I guess I answered my own question in 2 but can extend it.

Is installing into a VM in Windows a better way to get a quick feel for a distro (than live boot)?

I'm going to buy a SSD and do a clean Windows 7 -> 10 install then partition with Ubuntu/other so cluttering up things isn't a huge issue.
>>
What is a good linux distribution for battery life? All the ones I use cut my batter life in half. On Windows, I get about 11 hours of battery life. How can I achieve close to this on Linux?
>>
>>51507096
This isn't distro specific. Tailor your chosen distro to your specific needs, all the underlying tools are the same.
>>
PulseAudio fucked up again for me in between boots. Problem: Sound from headphones don't work for any application. The only sound I hear is from alsamixer when i manually mute the sink. I have cleared my user config and purged alsa along with pulseaudio (that fixed it the last time), and the strange thing is that alsamixer shows my headphones playing sound...
>>
Hi /g/,

installed void linux today to have a mess around with. X and firefox work fine but vim/nvim give me bus errors every time I try to open a file.

Where should I start with troubleshooting this? Google isnt particularly helpful.

Might be worth mentioning there doesnt appear to be any problems with my partitions and vim works fine on my other distros.
>>
>>51507145
How about you start by saying what the errors are, do you expect us to be psychic?
>>
>>51507145
Be specific.
>>
>>51507096
get some rolling release distro (newer kernel) with a minimal DE/WM and use the right programs: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop#Power_management
>>
>>51507126
What toosl are at my disposal? I am a complete newbie at linux and need some guidance. I've seen ThermalD. TLP, and Powertop be some of the tools I can use. However, it still gives me terrible battery life. Any other tips?
>>
>>51507159
Literally just "bus error," verbosity doesnt seem to add anything other than telling me where my config files are
>>
>>51507190
I don't know, I am dual-booting Arch-Void and the only error I get is I don't have vundle installed. (Because I'm yet to install vundle on Void, while I have a shared config between the two distros)
>>
>>51507190
Try fsck, seriously.

This might be your problem.
http://serverfault.com/questions/456337/server-responds-bus-error-to-every-command
>>
>>51507247
Appreciated, will take a look. I don't get bus errors to every command (vi works fine oddly), but this is a start.
>>
>>51507247
I don't think that's the problem m8, he stated that Firefox and X works, and the only errors are from Vim.
>>
>>51507268
do you use the Void -musl version or the without -musl version?
>>
>>51507277
-musl version, could that be the issue?
>>
File: 1444000211373.jpg (69 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1444000211373.jpg
69 KB, 640x480
Cinnamon 2.8 on arch when
>>
>>51507314
Cinnamon is shit.
>>
>>51507293
Try to install the glibc version instead.
>>
>>51507330
You're cute
>>
>>51507344
Gonna give that a go, thanks for the help
>>
>>51507330
retard alert
>>
>>51506580
use pcmanfm instead
>>
>>51507436
>not spacefm
pleb detected
>>
I have one question about making bash scripts. I want to make the .sh file, which just updates my system and deletes the old update cache to show what's doing. If I run it from the terminal, it does it's job, if i double click on the .sh file, it doesn't show the terminal, which I would like to see. I've already tried xterm_... -e "myfile.sh", but it doesn't work.
I'm using manjaro, with xterm as a default terminal.
>>
>On Kubuntu 14.04
>buy new hdd
>now I have 11 Tb
>need to rearrange the disks to get everything in order
>done with the drives
>want to reinstall everything to get a fresh start since I rearranged the drives
>download kubuntu 15.10 beacuse "mah bleeding edge"
>install it
>KDE 5 looks really nice I think
>dolphin doesn't support video thumbnails.
>have to install dolphin 4
>dolphin 4 has no "extract here", "compress here" support on KDE 5
>need to transfer files from one drive to another
>dolphin crashes at the middle of the transfer
>got message of an application that crashes every 5 minutes
>fuck everything
>Install14.04 LTS
>try to install mpv
>while compiling I get an error
>ffmpeg and libass are too old
>compile log says that I have no opengl support
>mfw
>expend 2+ hours trying to fix it
>fucking amd drivers on the repositories are useless shit
>fuck everything again
>install 14.04 again
>download proprietary drivers from AMD
>follow their instructions
>download *.deb of libass 0.12 in the ubuntu page since the one available in the repositories is the 0.10
>get the git clone of ffmpeg
>compile it
>install mpv
>install ffmpergthumbs
>video thumbnails working
>extract here and compress here working too
>all ok with the world now
>mfw almost 3 days expended in this

Also, don't get Plasma 5. Is shit.
>>
>>51507450
And what's next? You're going to recommend shitty apps like Vivaldi? Shut up, you worst /flt/ OP.
>>
I have a Canon printer that I want to get working in Antergos. Canon provides a deb package. How do I port that so I can use it in Antergos?

I would rather just use Debian, but they have been retarded with the Nvidia drivers. The proprietary drivers are so old that Maxwell cards aren't supported. Nouveau sucks balls and I can't even go to a full screen terminal, the screen just goes black.

I just want to use a non-bloated distro that just werks damn
>>
>>51507494
What series is it? The AUR maybe has it.
>>
A question:

Is F2FS still awful or do you think it's usable enough to install Ubuntu on it?

I'm using an SSD and I want the best experience I can get.
>>
>>51507451
I'm sure there's an easier way but you could have the first script build a temporary second script, run it, and then delete it, ie.:

echo 'sudo apt-get update' > tempfile
source tempfile
rm tempfile
exit
>>
>>51507519
MP495. The AUR has a package, but I can't get it to install. It depends on some super obscure package that no longer exists and is so obscure that I can't find any info at all with Google.
>>
>>51507460
Yea I am not a big fan of kde5.
I have been using kde4 for a long time and so I am a bit sad to see this development.
There were a lot of bugs in kde4 so I understand why they would start several things from scratch.
I had hoped they would have learned their lesson from kde3 and not doing too drastic an upgrade as it drives people away.

I am not anti development, but they should recognize that kde5 is still unstable and therefore should not be the default DE on the major distros.

There have been several regressions, qt5 being one of them and it is sad that they all occur at the same time.
>>
>>51507494
have you tried to install it with cups?
>>
>>51507494
I've been through that nightmare, I hope you don't want to use it wireless.
Took me a whole day to get it working.
>>
File: arch.jpg (158 KB, 1102x747) Image search: [Google]
arch.jpg
158 KB, 1102x747
Is there a way to find out when will 4.3 kernel enter regular Arch release?
>>
>>51507571
i'll try this, thank you friend
>>
>>51507928
It won't. Wait for 4.3.1
>>
>>51507344
Would just like to confirm the -muscl version was the issue, works perfectly now.
>>
>>51507475
>I've never used spacefm and I have no idea of what it is or what its capabilities are so I'll shitpost about proprietary shitware instead
>>
File: 1448138709755.jpg (316 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1448138709755.jpg
316 KB, 1024x1400
>>51507990
he seems to be paranoid that you are the guy who makes this threads with this picture
>>
>>51508114
because of spacefm... since only that other op uses it and put it in to file managers
>>
File: 1418537087875.jpg (23 KB, 500x446) Image search: [Google]
1418537087875.jpg
23 KB, 500x446
How do one disable the videocard at all, when using home workstation remotely as a server? I don't need even 35 W power consumption when I work remotely (if it's true that vendors say about PC in idle mode). Also, disabling the VGA will automatically shut down the monitor, which starts with power-on.
>>
>>51508114
Yeah I know, but he's welcome to his own insecurities. That pictures is fucking terrible but not all the programs listed are bad.
>>
>>51507475
Do you know what even is? It's a fork of pcmanfm with loads of customizability and extended features added to it. It quite literally is pcmanfm next generation.
>>
>>51503115
>>51507330

same retard

stfu please
>>
>>51508114
To be fair, that pic is horrible.
>Sublime
>maim over scrot
>Vivaldi
>LastPass
>vlc
>Popcorn Time (Seriously, it's fucking dead)
>xbindkey (it's Xbindkeys you dumbfuck)
>Dolphin (Why'd you install something that pulls the fucking KDE desktop as a whole?)
>>
File: nice try dumbfuck.png (10 KB, 386x156) Image search: [Google]
nice try dumbfuck.png
10 KB, 386x156
>>51508452
>>
>>51508458
>cult based
>do the leg work
>>
>>51508477
nice shopping skillz
>>
>>51508494
>do the leg work
We've tried to tell you a thousand times, you didn't listen and kept going shit.

Seriously Popcorn fucking Time is dead, why'd you recommend something that's dead.
>>
How do I disable the username and password prompt on start-up in debian? I just want it to log in automatically.
>>
>>51508520
Do you use a tty/DM?
>>
>>51508477
you are the most retarded of the two

really nice, faggot
>>
>>51508537

LXDM
>>
>>51508494
>do the legwork
>he didn't give out the files needed to fix the shit
well, can't argue with your logic.
>>
>>51508555
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LXDM#Autologin
>>
>>51508557
>>51508518
guys, that post wasn't by the author of that abomination, hence the green text.
>>
File: 1448389221777.jpg (778 KB, 1024x1400) Image search: [Google]
1448389221777.jpg
778 KB, 1024x1400
>>51508114
Fixed. Any suggestion welcome.
>>
>>51508842
Please commit sudoku
>>
>>51500696
I've been using Linux Mint for quite some time now and want to try something new.
I was thinking of going with a similar one like Ubuntu or maybe something like Arch.
I play quite a bit of games through Steam and Wine if that matters.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>51508842
Why did you black out the music player and didn't add any replacement?
>>
>>51508861
If you're going Arch, you need the ability to read.
>>
>>51508842
Pass for password management as well
https://github.com/peff/pass
>>
>>51508882
but on the bright side, most any problem you run into on arch has a solution that's easy to find
>>
>>51508857
$ git commit sudoku
error: pathspec 'sudoku' did not match any file(s) known to git.

>>51508866
I meant to put cmus there, I'll fix it later.

>>51508905
Is it available in any repos? (at least PPA/AUR)
>>
Guys, I want to dual boot W7 and Elementary OS. Currently I have W7 on 500GB SSD and Vista on 120GB SSD. I want to create a iso of my 120GB drive, save it on the 3TB HDD and reuse it if I want. I plan to install Elementary OS on the 120GB drive.

What is the easiest way to do that? I've never installed Linux outside of VMs, can it fuck up my W7 install? Will it recognize my other HDDs automatically? How can I safely achieve a dual boot of Elementary OS and W7?
>>
>>51508842
>blacking out vlc
>leaving cancerous mpv

>blacking out sublime (not complaining)
>not suggesting gedit/kate
>>
>>51509398
>mpv
>cancerous
>>>/trash/
>>
>>51509365
you really don't want elementary bruh, it's buggy
>>
Testdisk seems to have taken up all of my drive's space,but I cant find testdisk.log anywhere (I think it mentioned it being corrupt when I exited)

What do
>>
>>51509443
VLC too mainstream, you fucking hip?
>>
>>51509522
VLC is ancient, bloated and the keybinds are not as good as the ones in MPV. also MPV doesn't use an intrusive GUI.
>>
>>51500696
Anyone know of a good flat icon set for xfce?
>>
>>51509581
numix-circle just werks
>>
>>51509501
Found it nevermind
>>
>>51509581
Paper or Numix
>>
>>51509640
>>51509680
I would normally love to use those icons, but they just don't seem to play along in some cases. Not even after refreshing font cache
>>
>>51509744
show us the folder you put them in and the path
>>
>>51509560
/a/ and /g/ shit on vlc because of the technical issues it used to have, but today it serves its purpose just fine.
>>
>>51509581
paper, super-flat-remix, evopop,...
>>
>>51509780
MPV is still better for the reasons i named. i don't hate VLC. i just like something else better, that doesn't make someone a hipster.
>>
What makes zsh worth using? I understand like from sh to ksh to bash we got more nifty scripting features. What does zsh bring to the table?
>>
>>51508137
set up the machine so you can ssh into it, and that whatever you want to run at boot does so. Then take the video cards out. Most motherboards made in the past decade will deal with that okay and continue booting. If the machine has integrated graphics, just unplug the monitor and leave it. If it's an all-in-one built into its monitor, then get a new machine.
>>
>>51509560
>bloated
>worse keybinds
Not compelling reasons for ruling out one of the most well-featured media players
>>
>>51510166
i didn't, i just told him why i like MPV better.
>>
Windows user here.

A friend of mine keeps telling me to install Arch. I looked at it, it's pretty and stuff. I know there's Architect that allows an easy installation and even Antergos that comes out prepackaged.

So, why the hell should I install Arch instead of Ubuntu (Apart the fact that I don't really like Unity)
>>
>>51510128
Thank you for the answer, but I need a software/kernel method, because I don't want to unplug VGA. When at home I use to play some linux games. The idea is to use PC both ways - with VGA at home, without - remotely.
>>
>>51510270
Don't start with arch. Arch community is not newbie friendly
>>
I've been trying to increase the resolution of my virtualbox VM, but the menu tabs are all greyed out. In other words, I'm stuck with that small guest window which is extremely annoying. Is there a way to up the resolution without resorting to scaling?
>>
>>51510315
He said the complete opposite. Figures.
>>
>>51510270
So he can laugh at you
>>
For installing pulseaudio, gentoo says to set consolekit to default if
/etc/init.d/consolekit status
brings status: stopped, which it did. However, running consolekit start gives me
 start-stop-daemon: /usr/sbin/console-kit-daemon is already running

Should I just leave it as it is?
>>
>>51510325
user-centric distros are not for new users, ever. your friend is probably a hipster, start with something user-friendly, not centric.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux#Recommended_Distributions
>>
>>51510270
Ubuntu has far more issues than most people admit.I used to suggest it but I can no longer (Ubuntu server is decent though).If you must use Ubuntu, stay away from the Software Center GUI piece of shit.It crashes constantly and breaks everything.
>>
>>51510368
I think starting with a more difficult distro is helpful in the long run, it forces you to really understand your system. And they tend to be a lot easier to get help with (gentoo irc is probably the most helpful distro irc out there)
>>
Im having troubles installing the package for the wifi of my x301 computer.

I downloaded the file, how do I install it? When I use the tar command it only extracts it.
>>
>>51510426
Which distro are you trying to install?
>>
>>51510270
>>51510325
>>51510422
To be honest Arch is one of the nicest distros out there. But it is designed for people who know exactly what they want in their system, not bad at all - but if you are not sure which Desktop environment, display manager, graphics/wireless driver you have to use, don't bother arch.
Start with intermediate level distros: Opensuse, Manjaro etc.
>>
>>51510422
i disagree. a new user running into arch that doesn't know that there are a lot of easier and more stable distros out there may think that every distro is like this. also not everyone wants to learn absolutely everything about an OS before using it.
>>
>>51510461
>>51510390
>>51510368
>>51510422
At this point, I believe that I should try pretty much everything and see how it goes.

Thanks.
>>
>>51510484
>learn absolutely everything about an OS before using it.
You don't need that for using Arch either
>>
>>51510518
Good choice
>>
>>51510453
Debian, and its just the wifi driver thats fucking my experience. I already have the file on my computer but idk how to install
>>
>>51510556
Should have got the unofficial nonfree version, would have saved a lot of headaches.
>>
>>51510280
The BIOS could contain some settings to disable some peripherals, otherwise you could look for the PCI registers of your specific motherboards and tell Linux the right values to disable the one slot you want.
>>
>>51510524
i know but it feels like it for a new user. trying everything and then going for what you like is the best thing to do. i personally started using GNU/Linux about one year later than i would have if i listened to the advice of using arch as a first distro i got from a friend aswell. i only sticked to GNU/Linux once i tried LMDE and a few others before finally switching to debian testing.
>>
>>51510556
add non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list
install whatever driver you need from apt
>>
>>51510518
Good luck and don't get discouraged.It's worth taking things slowly.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.