[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Extending wifi range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg (23 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
P_setting_fff_1_90_end_500.jpg
23 KB, 500x500
FCC restrictions be damned, I want to access wifi within a mile radius. What do I need to make this happen?

Current hardware: ASUS PCE-N15 11n PCI-E
>>
>>51498103
>using wi-fi on desktop
>>
Even if you pull it off, you're going to get shut the fuck down pretty quickly. Triangulating "pirate" radio signals and reporting them is a hobby in the Ham radio community.
>>
it is my opinion that your data will be all stretchy due to redshift
>>
>>51498116
>Implying it makes a noticable difference for most people and uses
>>
>>51498135
What if I'm not in the USA and local government doesn't give a shit
>>
more power to antenna = greater intensity of signal

intensity decreases with the square of distance.

so you need 4X the power broadcasting both from PC and router to double the distance the same strength of signal can be picked up.
>>
You don;t because modem transmitters are weak.
>>
This wifi extender can reach a 7-mile radius. It's legal to use in the U.S.

http://www.globalmarinenet.com/product/redport-halo-long-range-wifi-extender-system/?gclid=CNmXv_T9p8kCFUKQHwodsxAM5w
>>
>>51498135
Get out FCC Shill. Now go find me a list of where the FCC has fined or enforced anything inconsequential in the last 15 years. You are a fucking idiot and need to tune into 40meters and see if the FCC can enforce shit. Eat dog shit and die faggot.
>>
>>51498103
You're gonna want a high gain antenna mounted just below the lip of your roof. You can get directional or omnidirectional antennas depending on your need, and they may support different network speeds.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA29J3BV4921

This is an omnidirectional N600 antenna. Actual WiFi range will depend on how much environmental noise there is (rain, etc) and the terrain (trees, etc).
>>
>>51498139
That only makes sense if the space between the client and the router was expanding at a significant rate
>>
http://www.w6pql.com/120w_13_cm_amplifier.htm

120w Amplifier
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.