[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am planning on buying 2 3TB WD Greens, one to use as storage
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: 240138-wd-caviar-green-3tb.jpg (131 KB, 500x482) Image search: [Google]
240138-wd-caviar-green-3tb.jpg
131 KB, 500x482
I am planning on buying 2 3TB WD Greens, one to use as storage and the other as a backup of the first one. I don't plan on using RAID, just setting it up to backup every night or something. I'm not totally sure how to do this yet.

I have 2 questions:
1. I have uTorrent running 24/7, is this bad for a green HDD?
2. How do I make sure my backup drive isn't dying? It would be bad if my first HDD died and when I went to the backup it was dead too.
>>
>>51498084
>uses utorrent
>>
It will die, and fast. If you are running it 24/7 get a red or red pro
>>
File: 1389462862309.png (150 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
1389462862309.png
150 KB, 500x371
>>51498975
>not getting purple
what are you, poor or something?
>>
I don't get why not run it in RAID? Wouldn't your backups be "instant" pretty much?
>>
>>51498084
This should be a raid 1
>>
>>51498084
dont get greens

dont rely op automatic backups. i had the exact setup you're planning on, the main storage drive started to fail but i didnt notice until it was too late. had a couple auto backups run while the drive was about 80% corrupt so the backup drive got equally fucked.
>>
>>51499194
>>51499321
I always read that RAID wasn't a backup solution, so I wasn't going to do it.

>>51499393
Well, I have no idea what to do then.
>>
>>51498084
>1. I have uTorrent running 24/7, is this bad for a green HDD?
Yes because the drive will be constantly spinning up and down. You can use idle3-tools to change that behavior, but you'd be better off getting a 3TB Blue. You can use SMART monitoring to check health.
>>
RAID is to insure your server stays online in the event that one hard drive fails. It doesn't necessarily protect against data corruption. This is why you use something like rsync so the original data is preserved in addition to corrupt data and other file changes.
>>
>>51498084
First, don't get greens, second a RAID backup is a good idea for the storage aspect, the actual torrent drive should be some shit drive you don't care about.
I have a pair of greens that are for backup and they sit off most of the time. If I needed 24h access to them I would have gone with reds.
>>
>>51498084
wd greens are the worst 3 tb drives you can get. avoid like the plague. either get a different 3 tb drive, or get a different size.

also, will you be writing to these disks often? if so, you might be better off getting reds.

in my experience, i did the same thing with my greens, using them for utorrent and constant random access. i've had them since 2008 and they're still going strong. however, they are 1 and 2 tb each. from what i've seen, all 3 tb drives are bad, but the worst is wd green at that size. just stick to a different size or if you must have 3 tb, go with a different company.
>>
>>51500264
you are retarded
>>
>>51500852
I have a wd green 3 tb running strong for yearrrs now I love it so much I got a second one 2 days ago and will be running them in raid.
>>
>>51501075
What is your load cycle count? Greens aren't meant for RAID. They aren't even suitable for OS installation. They are purely for backups.
>>
>>51501146
I will check that when I get home gladly and elt you know. I can agree they aren't meant for raid reds would do a better job I use it PURELY to store loads of media. I don't leave it running 24/7 only when I am home but it does great for me. Should I just use it as 2 back up drives why shouldn't I run raid 1?
>>
>>51500427
>RAID is to insure your server stays online in the event that one hard drive fails.
That's not the only reason?
It offers a speed boost, in addition to making sure you still have your data in case 1 or 2 drives randomly die.

It doesn't HAVE to be a server.
>>
>>51501191
This anon is right that is why raid has so many forms even raid 0 and 1 and completely opposite.
>>
>>51501075
i believe you. as long as a person isn't doing anything stupid with the drive, there shouldn't be an issue. however, always be wary of the first batch.
>>
>>51501206
>>51501191
RAID 0 is a special case and suicide mode. RAID was never meant for backup. It was always meant for uptime in the event that one drive dies so there's no downtime.
>>
I've got a pair of 3TB greens as the media drives in my desktop to go along with 1.5TB of SSD and my 16TB NAS.

I've had no issue with them when they're running pretty much 6-10 hours a day every day.

I use KeepAliveHD to keep them spinning the whole time though, the spin-up and down times made browsing from idle really slow.
>>
>>51498084
Green is fine, just disable the IntelliPark bs.

Make sure the drives come from different batches. Also, the backup drive should not be permanently connected.
>>
>>51498084

spend the extra $$ on red, get a larger green drive down the road and use it for backups if you want.
>>
Greens kill themselves rather quickly if left on 24/7, more so in a unix system. get some Hitachi Deskstars
>>
>>51498084
Having a backup drive is a good place for viruses to hide... especially on a drive partition because most anti virus doesn't search there
>>
>>51502115
This is bullshit. Greens last as long if not longer than other consumet drives. They're just slower. Did you even disable IntelliPark?

I could only see that happening if you let a Green park/unpark grind endlessly.
>>
get ready to not have data with your hippie drives
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.