[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dual booting Linux and Windows
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: 1986-BMW-ParisDakar.jpg (449 KB, 2028x1692) Image search: [Google]
1986-BMW-ParisDakar.jpg
449 KB, 2028x1692
Since Windows 10 has pissed me off and I have to install fresh anyway[1], I'm thinking about dual booting Linux and Windows. My intention is to do most of my daily use in Linux, and boot into Windows mostly for playing games.

I would also be running a couple of Windows virtual machines under the Linux host, so that I could do Windows programming with Visual Studio.

I know that I need to install Windows first. I have a 512GB SSD for my main drive, and several large HDDs. Currently, I symlink all my photos and videos to the hard drives and it works pretty well. I imagine the same system will work fine with Linux.

Any advice for me? Am I just better off sticking with Windows as my host OS and running Linux VMs? That's certainly worked well in the past, since Linux is lightweight and runs very nicely under a VM.

[1] I replaced my failing mobo and it turns out that Win 10 places the secret key into the motherboard's UEFI BIOS. So now my Win 10 install is invalid, and the only way to recover is to install Win 8/8.1 again and start over. Since I kind of hate Win 10, I'll stick to Win 8.1 + ClassicShell.
>>
Nobody has any words of wisdom?
>>
At the very least, if you put any windows on the same hard drive as your manly OS, you need to disable the internet for it. Therefore place windows in a VM and do that. If you run windows add the host OS it will having tracking access to everything you do in your Linux VM.
>>
Seems about right, Linux for your truly personal needs, including email, photos, etc, and the Windows partition for work related stuff only.

I my case, I keep a separated small PC to do my everyday computing.
>>
>>51498633

I'm not concerned with NSA spying, I'm annoyed by the shitty UI.

* Random shit done in Metro/Modern-style
* Said random shit flickers white, then re-fills with the dark color scheme you selected
* Every window titlebar is white, which window is active? Gotta look for the retarded glow

>>51498693
>Seems about right, Linux for your truly personal needs, including email, photos, etc, and the Windows partition for work related stuff only.

It's kind of the opposite. I figure this setup will add friction, preventing me from dicking around playing games as much. Plus, it'll give me incentive to get better with Linux and open source programming tools.
>>
>>51498716
That's also a valid reason, specially if you're a software developer, Linux is a great toolbox.
Most of the software tools out there pretty much take for granted that you're on a Linux environment, so developing will be easier than ever.
Have fun, I recommend Fedora and openSUSE.
>>
>>51498781

> I recommend Fedora and openSUSE.

Why is that?

I think I like Gnome. I've mostly used Ubuntu in VMs for years, and hated it when they went to Unity. I *think* I started forcing it to KDE after that, but for whatever reason the Gnome UIs seem to look the nicest to me.

I'm also really conditioned to using apt-get. Is it a big switch to Fedora?
>>
>>51498716
Your problem is GPU drivers and not looking at Settings.
>>
>>51498843
>Your problem is GPU drivers and not looking at Settings.

Wut?

My GPU drivers are up to date, and I don't even know what you mean about settings.
>>
>>51498829
>I think I like Gnome

I just realized that my comment looks retarded, as if I'm saying Gnome is a distro or something.

Anyway, my understanding is that both Fedora and openSUSE use Gnome, which I like, but I think I'm used to the Debian-line of tools like apt-get.

Since I haven't administered a Fedora system in a looooong time, how different is it from Ubuntu?
>>
>>51498829
>>51498920
>Why is that?
Fedora and openSUSE are developed by both a wide community of programmers, and also the biggest successful Linux companies in the world, Red Hat and SUSE, so you'll be using an enterprise class operating system, which is also used in other software developing companies.

They both support GNOME and KDE, along with other DEs.
apt-get is just simply a package manager, Fedora and openSUSE ship different ones (dnf and zypper). It's just a matter of learning the few basic commands (install, remove and search), an you're ready to go. Package managers behave in a sort of similar way, so it shouldn't be difficult for you to get used to it. Keep in mind that Fedora and openSUSE are rpm based, so you want to install rpm packages, not deb packages.

>how different is it from Ubuntu?
Different packages, different repos, different package managers, and different (and better!) administration. Canonical is known for doing crazy decisions, and Ubuntu in general is not very respected in the Linux world because of that, along other things.
>>
>>51498891
Flickering means it's related to the GPU. Colored title bars, etc. is a setting.
>>
>>51499175

*sigh* no, dumbass. It's because their Metro app creates a white-filled window, then it checks the user's selection in the registry, then it starts drawn the app UI.

Microsoft has just bifurcated UIs yet again. Go two dialogs deep and you're back to Windows 2000/95 battleship gray. Now you have classic battleship gray, you've got WPF UIs, and you've got universal app UIs.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.