[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
PCIe or USB adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 300x300
PCIe or USB adapter
>>
>>51495925
Ethernet. There is no excuse to use wireless on a desktop.

None.
>>
>>51495925
CAT5e or CAT6 cable
>>
>>51495925
I use PCI e. I have pretty great internet (for US) so its no problem really. Ping is low and I get 100 down 10 up. Too lazy to drill holes through my wall
>>
>>51495945
Unless you don't feel like having Ethernet cables ran all over your house.

For the vast majority of stuff people do online it doesn't matter if they are wired or wireless.
>>
>>51495983
OP here. I've been using USB forever and I usually don't have problems. Sometimes I get random drops and my wireless network disappears but that happens on both my laptop and my desktop with a USB adapter.
>>
>>51496845
>Sometimes I get random drops and my wireless network disappears but that happens on both my laptop and my desktop with a USB adapter.
That would be because you're not using a cable.
Also because your house/router/AP is shit.
>>
If you're going wireless, always use a usb dongle if you can get away with it. USB can handle the bandwidth of the 2.4G bands.

>using an entire pci(e) slot when usb2 will do
>>
>>51496827
Homeplugs / power line plugs
>>
>>51497346
This abomination is even worse than wireless. You're going to shit up the mains on your whole house, wasting power in pretty much every modern device you have connected, just because you're too lazy to pull a cable like a man.

Wireless is terrible, but "power line" should be illegal.
>>
>>51496827
There is no excuse, use ethernet.
>>
>>51495945
sure there is, when you don't feel like running a giant tripping hazard through your house nor tearing your wall apart to do the same exact shit you can accomplish with a cheap PCIe card
>>
>>51498258
It's not a tripping hazard when you nail it down properly. Enjoy your latency and congested air waves. Also, all desktop wireless adapters are shit. If you're just that much of a pleb then there's the ubiquity products which plug into your ethernet, but they're stupid expensive.
>>
>>51497462
Not him, but what other options are there? Router is one main floor, and my computer is on the floor above. I don't want to run cabling all the way down the stairs, and I am not really interested in making holes in the wall and running cable down.
>>
Ethernet you faggot

>wireless on a desktop computer
literally retarded
>>
>>51498495
dipshits find a way

>Enjoy your latency and congested air waves.
certainly, I really don't give a shit since I do all my serious work on a remote system that's hardwired in the other room
>>
>>51498495
>enjoy your latency and congested air waves
>congested air waves
gud b8 m8
>>
>>51497462
give me proof that power line can ruin the wires in your home.
>>
>>51498651
My desktop on the third floor and the router is on the first. Running a cable is not an option and neither is moving either device. There's an excuse.
>>
>>51500763
this website is for people aged 18 and over
>>
>>51496827
Ethernet wall plates m8.
>>
>>51497346
These really depended on the wiring of your house/apartment.

Sometimes it's a much better solution compared to wifi, other times it's a lot worse.
>>
>>51501050
Also depends on whether it's an interior or exterior wall. Exterior will have insulation in it which is a bitch to fish thru. Some interior walls will have horizontal bracing, too - which means more holes and drywall repair/texturing/paint afterwards.

Personally, if my wife wouldn't have a conniption, I'd just tack Ethernet to the walls or run it outside in conduit if I were dealing with multi-story.

IMO, the right way is to bulldoze the whole site and start over.
>>
I'm getting 85-90 down via a $30 pcie card. Not running a cable down some stairs.
>>
>>51497462
This is the most FUDy thing I've read all week.
completely baseless bull shit.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.