[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pc
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: desktop_computer_512.png (139 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
desktop_computer_512.png
139 KB, 512x512
If I were to buy a PC but only for school work and if I wanted to, can I upgrade it as in add new parts
>>
Depending on the PC but most of the time yes you can
>>
>>51494496
Only if you build the PC
>>
Buy decent motherboard and yeah you can.
>>
>>51494496
of course!! :P for maximum upgradibility be sure to build your own pc :P
>>
>>51494657
What you can't upgrade

>>51494690
But this nigga said I can^

>>51494729
But I'm only planning on using it for school work

>>51495089
Well I'm using it for mainly school, So I'm not planning on building one
>>
>>51494496
Yes you can.
Avoid pre-built PCs.
>>
>>51495227
What's wrong with pre-build ones?
>>
>>51495483
Deliberately poor upgradablity
>>
>>51494496
Literally retarded OP

Call geek squad
>>
>>51495176
prebuilt pcs have extremely limited upgrade paths, if they have any at all.

most like you'll only be able to add another stick of ram, maybe a second hdd/graphics card but it depends.

even if you're only using it for school i would still recommend building your own, it will likely be cheaper than buying a prebuilt depending on if you already have some computer peripherials lying around like a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

its not hard at all as long as you follow directions.
>>
>>51494496
Depends on a lot of things.

Pretty much all motherboards nowadays come with at least ONE PCIe x16 slot for a Graphics Card to occupy so you could slap a GTX 750 Ti with no external power connectors in there and it'll work fine.

Cards that demand more power need additional connectors and OEM garbage PSUs either won't have those connectors or can't supply the required power the card needs but it's extremely common it won't have EITHER.

In that case you buy a decent quality PSU from a reputable Vendor that can supply the power that the faster cards need.

Whether you can upgrade how much RAM you have depends on how many slots there are.

If you only have two and both are occupied you can't exactly upgrade without removing one of those DIMMs.

If you have four slots then you probably have room for two more DIMMs.

But considering the average RAM capacity OEM PCs ship with that won't become an issue in the near future unless it's a bottom budget piece of shit.

You can upgrade your CPU to anything compatible with that socket and Chipset but in some cases you'll need to update your BIOS if the Chipset doesn't natively support a certain series of newer Chips.

Whether you SHOULD upgrade your CPU depends on what you have out of the box.

And like>>51495227
says, if it's at all possible to avoid pre-builts and try building it yourself, do it.
>>
>>51495520
Ok
>>51495540
>call geek squad

Nah,I felt like asking 4Chan

>>51495575
Oh I understand now, thanks for the advice man

>>51495598
That's a shit ton of reading man,I only read
>>Build one yourself
>>
>>51497330
if you are just using it for school work (aka, writing papers and web browsing?) it really doesnt matter what you get nor its "upgradibility".

you could probably make do with a used PC off craigslist running windows xp.

if you want to buy a brand new prebuilt, theres nothing wrong with that, upgradibility is overrated unless you're gaming.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.