[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Linux
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
Why is Linux objectively the best operating system?
>>
It's not.
>>
>>51493038
/thread
>>
File: IMG_20151122_142828.jpg (411 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151122_142828.jpg
411 KB, 1440x1080
Idk, you tell me
>>
Linux is a kernel.
GNU/Linux is an operating system.
>>
>>51493051
What the fuck?
Is that a bee in your bread?
I hope you made a case of that.
>>
>>51493064
this
>>
>>51493006
It's not, install *BSD
>>
>>51493064

K.
>>
>>51493064
>>51493083
look up the definition of OS again kids and stop believing every bullshit some pathetic basement dwellers say on /g/
>>
>>51493078
>Is that a bee in your bread?
>I hope you made a case of that.
This makes me so sad.

Nature is full of insects, and I'd rather live in a world where our food is natural enough that we occasionally find them in it.
>>
>>51493006
I'm trying to install Windows 10 and holy shit what a fucking ordeal.

On my last machine I tried upgrading from Windows 8 4-5 times, but each time it failed.

On this machine, the upgrade failed, so I made some fresh install medium. The install failed, and left the system unbootable. Now I formatted and I'm installing again. Windows 10 didn't accept my 8 license key so now I don't even know how usable it'll be if it even works.

God, Linux is so much easier to deal with.
>>
>>51493006
[Interjects internally]
>>
>>51493006
It's OS X, then Windows, and then Linux.
>>
File: Capture.png (172 KB, 764x1044) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
172 KB, 764x1044
>>51493006
lol
>>51493593
as the linux users love to say: it works on my machine. you just need to get good honestly cause I installed mine flawlessly
>>
>>51493668
nice troll image,
where is it from ?
>>
>>51493668
>you just need to get good
You can't git gūd with Windows installation because if the wizard doesn't work you're basically fucked.

You can do all sorts of mind bending shit with Linux installers. It's so much easier and more flexible.
>>
>>51493647
OSX is the worst desktop OS in use today.
eyecandy doesn't account for the sorry state of security standards Apple has, outside of media production OSX has a severe lack of software, It doesn't have a standard way of uninstalling programs, the "good" font rendering is nothing more than bold fonts, It still lacks a package manager.
Really it's a shitty version of Linux with Adobe and some DAWs support, nothing more really.
>>
>>51493698
You could do a lot of nice things back in the 9x-era with windows-installations.
>>
>>51493690
Some shitty blog, but for some reason they forget to post the 2nd part of that rant, not sure why really.
>>
>>51493753
*Shitty version of BSD
>>
>>51493781
can you point me to it?
i wanna see what other bullshit they have there.
kinda reminds me of the "is your son a hacker" shit from the late 90s
>>
It's free and you can browse the fucking internet
>>
File: home.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
home.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>51493698
>You can do all sorts of mind bending shit with Linux installers
why would you want to? with windows you just press 'I agree' and then it just werks.
>>51493690
>>51493781
>>51493810
>troll image
you know those are all valid concerns
>where is it from
literally google 'linux is not ready for desktop' its the top result. can't post link here cause of filters
>>
>>51493993
>you know those are all valid concerns
from a kids who has no idea what he's talking about point of view: yeah.
>>
>>51493993
This is just some script kiddy kid who uses LOIC,and thinks he's a "leet haxxor" ignore him.
>>
File: gandhi.jpg (26 KB, 451x364) Image search: [Google]
gandhi.jpg
26 KB, 451x364
>>
>>51493993
>with windows you just press 'I agree' and then it just werks.
>with windows you just press 'I agree to get spied on, gettin my system broken by every second update, and basically allow you to fuck up everything' and then it just werks.
ftfy
>>
>>51494067
re read the image. if you think that those aren't serious problems then you are delusional.
>>51494106
lol out of arguments and straight to the projections. if you want a safe space where everyone agrees with you try going to tumblr.
>>51494142
>get spied on
tinfoil as fuck. show me one reported instance of M$ spying
>gettin my system broken by every second update
lol try actually using windows buddy. the windows isn't stable meme has stopped being relevant since 2001
>basically allow you to fuck up everything
like what? install windows, install software and then enjoy a stable and uninterrupted workflow for a decade.
>>
>>51494277
I am "projecting". See,this is what happens when women get into STEM,it becomes all emotional,illogical,garbage.
>>
>>51494277
do you have any idea how often the tuesday updates fucked up some 100 000 computers ? look it up if you don't believe me.

one fucking update changed some fontcache shit which caused 1000s of windows 7 computers to bluescreen while booting.
>>
I don't know if linux is the best operating system, but it works fine.
I use it because it is free as in freedom.
There is a lot of great tools that doesn't work on BSD and a lot of tools that makes it more productive than using windows.
There is a lot of things that are logical and easy to understand so the system is easier to maintain than say windows, but I don't know if that makes it the best.
It is not good for small embedded systems but then again, no OS is.
>>
>>51494114
Fuck off rajesh
>>
>>51493809
Let's agree that it's a shitty OS and a shitty Unix-based OS, at that, OK?
>>
Not sure why you would be trying to a compare a single kernel with fully functional operating systems; however if you're refering to 'GNU/Linux' it can be summarized with the following reasons:

Faster, easier to use & maintain, isn't prone to 'roting' or decreased functionality over time.

It's the best choice if you want to get the most out of your hardware.
>>
GNU/Linux is still the undisputed king of network infrastructure and it just shows that it's just the best OS that ever existed for professionals. But that's changing - lately Linux is a better OOTB option than Windows. You just install it and (unless you're using some kind of a shitty, old network card that uses proprietary software written by sandniggers) it werks. But I dont believe it's ever gonna beat Windows as a desktop OS in terms of popularity. It missed it's time to shine.
>>
>>51494703
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just.Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just.Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.