[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay /g/, I implore you to help me in finding a good monitor.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: monitor-lineup-625x350-c.jpg (34 KB, 625x350) Image search: [Google]
monitor-lineup-625x350-c.jpg
34 KB, 625x350
Okay /g/, I implore you to help me in finding a good monitor.
Please take a look, I'm probably just gonna end up buying something awful without your assistance.

Let's get right down to some info I can give you.

>size
24", I sit about 2 feet away from the monitor so I feel 27" would be slightly too much. Currently on only 21.5" and feeling okay with that so I'm sure 24" would be great

>rig I have
gigabyte 2gb windforce 770gtx
4670k cpu

>features and how it'll be used
Mostly for games with the odd tiny bit of photoshop work. Watching some videos.
I play the occasional Battlefield and such, but usually it's more RPGs, platformers or weird Japanese games.
If I can hit above 60fps I'd rather make the game look better than try to hit 120fps or something. So I think getting a 144hz display, especially given my not so new card, wouldn't make that much sense. I heard 60fps on a 144hz might look worse than 60 on 60hz too, but that's just what I saw on the net.

I don't need it to have speakers, I don't need to be able to rotate it around or anything fancy like that.

>budget
I'm in Krautland. No firm or set budget but I didn't want to empty my whole wallet over it, if it could be around 500€ or under that would be nice.

If you need any other info, please ask. Glad for any helpful suggestions. Just want my games and occasionally other things to look great and smooth.
>>
>>51493004
Just go on amazon enter in 24" and 1080 or 1440p or whatever and grab best looking one with the best reviews in your price range.
Any "features" on a monitor besides G Sync, high refresh rate, or like TN versus IPS panel is probably a gimmick.
>>
Korean 1440p ips
>>
>>51493311
Amazon reviews are an odd thing. You get the people who review it after 1 day who go "wow it's working perfectly no problems!" and you get people who give it the lowest rating because of some odd issue they encountered.

Still, that's what I would have probably went and done yeah.

How do you feel about 144hz? Would it be worth it for those games I can run at more than 60fps?
Would it make 60fps look worse and less smooth than a 60hz?
>>
>>51493340
I'm not so sure abut 1440p being a good idea with my card in mind
>>
>>51493341
I use a 2560x1440 monitor that is 144hz and I have no problems and I'm using a gtx 780ti. I would recommend it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4JH1NB1871

You will need to get educated on how to overclock your monitor before you use it to it's full potential though. It is a nice monitor and I have two of them. Not overpriced and not cheap low quality shit like what most /g/tards buy. I don't know if there's a 24" version of this monitor though.
>>
>>51493491
Hmm that reaction time though.
>>
>>51493311
>TN versus IPS panel is probably a gimmick.
Oh boy.
>>51493340
If you like 20 dead pixels in your screen, sure.
>>51493491
This one seems alright
>>
http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-Monitor-Supported-seamless/dp/B00ITORITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447884547&sr=8-1&keywords=xl2411z

thoughts?
>>
File: fw900.jpg (24 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fw900.jpg
24 KB, 640x480
>>51493004
>24"
>gaming
>color accuracy
Sony GDM-FW900
2304x1440 at 80hz or 1920x1200 at 95hz
>>
>>51493902
He said features other than refresh rate or IPS are a gimmick
>>
>>51495261
Sorry
>>51494071
I heard that the image fades if it has been used much
>>
>>51493373
The monitor he suggested can be had for 188 euros. You could buy a good gpu with the difference.
>>
>I feel 27" would be slightly too much

Yeah you could think that when you haven't tried it. Even a 40" isn't too much. Bigger is better.
>>
>>51493491
I've heard that korean monitors with more than one video input have input lag of up to two frames. Is this true? Thinking about pulling the trigger on this one.
>>
144hz 1337gaymur master race

[Spoiler]nah but forreal 144hz is so nice[/spoiler]
>>
if your GPU can run games above 60 FPS then you can go looking for 144HZ monitor but with much worse image quality, like having a yellow-ish screen when its supposed to be white. IPS monitors is what my bet is on but more expensive
>>
>>51496393
Its called Tearing, this can be stopped as most games have v-sync to counter this
>>
File: monitor-angles.png (47 KB, 2735x2158) Image search: [Google]
monitor-angles.png
47 KB, 2735x2158
>TN panels
No
>>
>>51496393

I've had no problems with it. No lag at all.
>>
>>51497257

I've read claims that some of the new TN panels look pretty much as good as IPS. I say this as an IPS user.
>>
>>51497236

Huh? What does that have to do with tearing?

He's talking about the monitors that take, e.g. DVI-D, HDMI, and DisplayPort. Therefore, they necessarily have some kind of circuit board in there that translates them to the screen. This translation takes some time.

Whether or not that time is perceptible is arguable. Many people have claimed it is. Personally, I don't believe for a second that it's more of an issue than the poorer response time of IPS/LPS panels.
>>
>>51498111
Thanks that's what I meant; I think I'll just wait to see what screens go on sale in the coming days before I make a concrete decision.
>>
>>51498369
>Thanks that's what I meant

Then why did you say tearing? Tearing is what you get when you write to the frame buffer while the current frame is still being drawn. You get part of the old frame, and part of the new frame.

The original question was about latency introduced by the circuit, which has absolutely nothing to do with tearing whatsoever.

Unless you're saying that the delay causes it to somehow fall out of sync with the vertical blanking interval.
>>
>>51498492
nah senpai I'm the anon who asked the question.
>>
>>51498689

Oh, gotcha, sorry. I want that other dumbfuck to get in here and explain himself.
>>
>>51498840
we all do
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.