[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, I was wondering if some of you guys worked in the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
Hey guys,

I was wondering if some of you guys worked in the IT industry. I'm about to start my first job as a help desk tech and they told me I would be answering 40 calls a day from multiple offices and I would have to do tech support.

wtf? how come I can't go physically fix computers? Is it harder by phone?
>>
It takes a lot of time to drive place to place.

If you fuck it up at all then your company would have to buy the person a new computer.

99% of the problems you will deal with are ID10T or PEBKAC issues.
>>
>>51489180

So basically it's the user being a dumbass?
>>
>>51489204

Yeah, most of the population is ridiculously computer illiterate despite computers being a thing in mainstream for 20-30 years.
>>
File: 1432962177640.png (431 KB, 522x503) Image search: [Google]
1432962177640.png
431 KB, 522x503
CS/Tech Sup for credit card processing company here. We deal with businesses all over the country so it's not exactly feasible to show up in person. For credit card machines guiding the end user through messing with it is only usually a pain when you're dealing with Hispanics or male nail salon Asians, in my experience.
>>
Hospital tech support here.
Most of the thing you'll do are take calls, figure out their weird ass explanation, remote desktop in to see exactly what's going wrong, then fix it.
Usually it's a common problem, or something similar, but you'll have to listen well since different people with no tech experience will not know how to describe it properly so they'll make it sound like they've launched ICBMs at Moscow but in actuality just need to press cancel.

Usually, interns are sent to actually do the on-site support. We don't actually fix things unless it doesn't take a lot of time.

If you can't fix it, register the call and send it to the back office.
>>
>>51489254
i... need to see more.
>>
>>51489373

Ok, so I can use remote desktop most of the time ?
>>
File: 1442603069457.gif (836 KB, 317x320) Image search: [Google]
1442603069457.gif
836 KB, 317x320
>>51489388

There is no more, she's already part of a complete breakfast.
>>
Help desk = nigger tier IT.
>>
>>51489675

where else to start?
>>
File: 1431319342245__0_.jpg (75 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
1431319342245__0_.jpg
75 KB, 900x675
>>51489130
Yeah fixing a computer illiterate persons computer over the phone by describing to them how to get to command prompt and what to type in is way easier than doing it yourself OP.

>implying you wouldn't have a panic attack from making eye contact with another person.
>>
>>51489765
With a CS degree
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.