[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I used this ages ago and hated it, but realised I hadn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
I used this ages ago and hated it, but realised I hadn't given recent versions a fair shot. So to go along with their nice new fancy website, I decided to give it a quick test and make some notes as I went.

Download DMG, opens in regular Finder window rather than the expected branded custom one with shortcut to Applications and drag indicator. Bad start.

“Fonts may take a while”- they sure do. And I switched away, and the splash didn’t reappear when I switched back. Whatever- can't really judge by first start, although you'd think they could cache that stuff at build time.

It opens. It's split into many different windows opened on different monitors. Toolbox and the “main” window opened on my secondary monitor, and a combined Layers and Brushes window opened on the far right of my main one. It seems to choose the leftmost monitor, not the “main” one.

File->Open uses a strange, custom, home-rolled file selector. This is an ABSOLUTE NO NO- there is no reason at all not to use the real one. This is a smack in the face. It’s a terrible dialogue, too- files and folders don’t even have separate icons.

Eventually opens an image window. Neither Shift, Control, Option, or Command work as mouse wheel modifiers to zoom. Eventually find that it’s Ctrl+Command+Wheel by default.

Professional retouching tools are advertised on said site, so I try to heal a spot. There seems to be no equivalent of Photoshop’s “Spot Heal” (where a source is selected automatically), so I select the regular Healing Tool and set a source.

Having placed a source and now adjusting the Size option, the size change is not reflected in the image window until I mouse over it.

Begin healing. It lags severely and unusably, with a near-second delay when dragging and a multi-second delay before the UI is responsive again after the operation. It produces an awful result. The poor result is probably due to my inability to accurately drag due to unresponsiveness.

[cont’d]
>>
/g/ is not your personal blog, faggot
>>
>>51487781
[cont’d]

To verify I hadn’t simply underestimated the size of the image, I tried in Photoshop. It was completely responsive and finished instantly, with an excellent result.

I try a noise reduction by going to Filters->Enhance->Despeckle. There is no full-image preview, only a tiny window at 100% zoom which is not useful at all. Since it was impossible to accurately set values for the sliders, I instead selected completely arbitrary ones and press apply. It takes many seconds, and it takes several more to repaint the canvas when done. The result is unacceptable, so I undo- it takes several seconds to repaint again.

I try in Photoshop- there’s a full-image real-time preview, it completes in a few seconds, and repaint is instant when I undo.

At this point I gave up and I haven't even touched on some really awful problems yet (e.g the whole save vs export shitheap)

I'm nowhere near a professional graphics artist. I probably use barely 5% of Photoshop's possibilities. I usually just want to heal stuff, remove shitty phone camera noise, mess with colours, crop, save. GIMP can't even do that. It's an absolutely worthless pile of shit.

And Linux users are stuck with this (well, either that or crude emulation of old versions of Photoshop). How do you guys tolerate it? Do you just never need or want to take pictures, of anything, ever?
>>
News flash: gimp sucks ass

Also, >>51487796
>>
>>51487796
this.
nobody cares this much about the misadventures of some retarded faggot.
>>
>>51487781
>you'd think they could cache that stuff at build time.
I don't think you know what's going on. It's caching the fonts installed on your machine. That takes a while because fonts are slow as fuck for some reason and it will need to be redone if you ever clear caches and whatnot.

Gimp not just using the system font cache is something I frown over too though
>>
>>51487781
dumb macposter
>>
This is about the same issues I have with GUMP.

Equally, try dragging more than 100 odd images on to GIMP and watch it steal focus from you for every image.
I did it with PNGs at least, to make a GIF at the time.
The layering system is a complete pile of shit too.

GIMP is everything that can go wrong with a FOSS project, and without the shine.
The community of devs are fucking wanks of the highest order, argumentative little pricks, have huge egos.

>B-B-BUT FORK IT
Nobody fucking wants to, it blows ass.
The source code is fucking atrocious.
There is a reason it isn't forked.
You'd have a better chance of making a far superior product FROM SCRATCH in ASSEMBLY.
>>
>>51487781
>Download DMG, opens in regular Finder window rather than the expected branded custom one with shortcut to Applications and drag indicator.
Why does this matter to a majority of computer users? Apple tot does not concern anyone.

>“Fonts may take a while”- they sure do. And I switched away, and the splash didn’t reappear when I switched back.
I don't think I've ever experienced a 'font caching' in GIMP, either on Windows, nor Debian or Arch.

>It opens. It's split into many different windows opened on different monitors
This is all by preference, there is a simple 'one window mode' that can be enabled. That being said, I prefer the multi-window layout, as I'm used to it.

>File->Open uses a strange, custom, home-rolled file selector.
Again, a macfag problem.

>Neither Shift, Control, Option, or Command work as mouse wheel modifiers to zoom.
So babby duck syndrome?

I'd keep going, but I don't want my post to get unreasonably large by quoting your crap.
Your complaints seem pretty inane, most of which stem from your use of OS X or personal preference.
I've had no problems using GIMP for almost five years, and have found some things (like an actually functioning FFT filter) only possible on GIMP.
Even then, I don't think the developers care whether you use it or not. It's no skin off their backs if you fork out shekels for adobe's shit or not. This is what I find the strangest about people complaining about Free Software. It's not like Free Software users and developers are threatened by non-free software like it seems some Win/Macfags are.
>>
Also, since I am here, happy birthday GIMP, you are twice as shit as you were before and Krita outperformed you in half the time.
>>
>>51487813
>How do you guys tolerate it? Do you just never need or want to take pictures, of anything, ever?
I am used to it, and I think it is a fairly great program.
At least its not as shit as paint.net. Now that is what I call suffering…

Also, there is still Krita, if you want to try a highly lauded FOSS painting program.
>>
>mfw scripting GIMP in scheme
>>
>>51487781
>Download DMG,
Stopped reading there. You're too stupid to get a system that's free, you're too stupid for free software.
>>
File: The Official _g_ guide.png (62 KB, 803x714) Image search: [Google]
The Official _g_ guide.png
62 KB, 803x714
>>51487781
It' hard isn't it?
>>
>>51487813
>>51487781
I agree with you except for this
>the whole save vs export shitheap

But yeah, Gimp is annoying.
And it's getting worse.
Like when I try to just add a caption to a picture.
Last version of Gimp has 3 redundant fields, the tool window, the docked text editor, and a direct on-screen text field.

Problem is, the 3 field never manage to synchronize which each other, so they give contradictory information about very simple things like the text font size.

To change the font size and color, you can try everything, ignore the 2 other redundant fields, try to change the font only after typing and highlighting...

You can try to change the font size 3 times in all 3 fields. You thought you had wasted enough time? No. The resulting font size is still not what you asked for.

Doing something extremely simple just drives you nuts.
Usually, I eventually have to decide if I punch my screen, kill myself, or try to laugh about it.
>>
Use Krita
>>
>>51487781
Could you post your image? I'm an ex-dev and pretty sure your fucked something up. Actually you fucked multiple things up (by not reading the docs first, something you apparently did do for Photoshop), but I just want to test your percieved 'irresponsiveness' with the latest version....

Most of the things you are pointing out have been heavily discussed and are clear and logical to the somewhat experienced user.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.