[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
uBlock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8
File: ublock-ublock-origin-icons.png (26 KB, 383x241) Image search: [Google]
ublock-ublock-origin-icons.png
26 KB, 383x241
So, uBlock or uBlock Origin and why?
>>
Origin because it's maintained.
>>
inb4:MemeBlock
>>
>>51487206
plus
>>
>not adblock

Hipster fucking pleb.
>>
File: 1865-64.png (6 KB, 64x64) Image search: [Google]
1865-64.png
6 KB, 64x64
Just use adblock. It allows you to support websites that use unintrusive advertising.
>>
>falling for the uBlock meme
>>
adblock eats up ram
>>
>>51487206
Neither you stealing peace of shit.
>>
>>51487372
>It allows you to support websites that use unintrusive advertising.
that is a bad thing you dullard
>>
>>51487393
Unused ram is wasted ram.
>>
>>51487429
Hope you're enjoying all that swapping
>>
>>51487372
Because you can't manually whitelist sites using any ad blocking extension?
>>
>>51487372
I'd want that cause why?
>>
>>51487372
>unintrusive advertising
GET THE FUCK OUT SHILL
Just because they aren't giant Flash ads with sound doesn't mean they aren't harmful and track you.
>>
>>51487206
Well, uBlock is abandoned and uBlock Origin is actively developed. By the original creator nonetheless.
I'll let you figure out which the sane option is.

https://github.com/chrisaljoudi/uBlock/commits/master
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/commits/master
>>
File: 2015-11-23_05-18-20.png (4 KB, 47x47) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-23_05-18-20.png
4 KB, 47x47
Adblock Plus is a sellout
uBlock regular is abandonware
>>
Origin because it's not malware
>>
origin because ublock is depreciated
>>
File: windows-timeline.png (261 KB, 1364x684) Image search: [Google]
windows-timeline.png
261 KB, 1364x684
>>51487206
Origin because it's maintained by the Original dev
>>
>>51487419
by your definition if I go to movie theatre, and just by not looking at the advertisements before the movie I'm stealing from someone provided I already paid for the movie tickets? haha you are a fucking joke and this society's pleb
>>
>>51487817
I don't pay websites to view them though.
>>
File: 0ae5XzR.png (61 KB, 1972x178) Image search: [Google]
0ae5XzR.png
61 KB, 1972x178
>>51487995
>>
>>51488010
>this is what neckbeards actually believe
A restaurant is a pull medium, not a push medium. Go ahead and request food and then decline to request paying for it.
>>
>>51488032
that example would be
>go to restaurant and order just a burger
>they bring you burger, stale salad and cold fries.
you are only paying for the burger and decline to eat the salad and fries
>>
>>51488051
You're http request aks for the whole site. Ads are part of the whole site.
>ask for burger
>waiter brings you burger
>FUCK YOU I NEVER ASKED FOR SALAD ON THE BURGER
>>
>>51488032
>Ask for a pizza
>Delivery boy comes accompanied by 2 mormons
>You decline the 2 mormons
>>
>>51488010
This. I don't understand how people don't understand this. I'm downloading a document from you. I can edit that document how I see fit.
>>
>>51488072
i asked for 4chan.org, not google-analytics.com.
>>
>>51488072
>you ask for a salad
>salad comes with maggots
>they say the maggots are part of the salad
>>
>>51487206
AD BLOCK PLUS
STOP FALLING FOR SHITTY VIRAL MARKETING "/g/ MUH PROJECT LETS MAKE THE LOGO FIRST" SCAMS.
>>
>>51488111
That is part of the site. If you buy a newspaper you also buy the ads that come with it.

Seriously, neckbeards, what's so hard to understand? Can you literally not stop pirating?
>>
>>51488032
>hire a hooker
>she brings two aids infested gigolos
>you make the gigolos hide in the bathroom while you have sex with the hooker in the other room
>>
>>51488128
>If you buy a newspaper you also buy the ads that come with it.
but what's stopping me from ignoring or cutting out the ads on the newspaper?
>>
>>51488128
>buy newspaper
>know page B1 has ad
>don't turn to page B1
>>
>>51488128
if google analytics is part of 4chan, why is it not called 4chan analytics
>>
Holy shit piracy defense force is strong in this one.
>>
File: child.jpg (13 KB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
child.jpg
13 KB, 240x196
pirating ads meme haha
>>
uBlock is a sham and it's kill.

uBlock Origin = real uBlock
>>
>>51488128
i have a robot that cuts the ads out of newspapers

it's not illegal to cut ads off newspapers faggot
>>
>PCWorld announces that any Yahoo user checking YahooMail will now see an error saying 'To Continue you must disable Adblock'

http://www.businessinsider.com/yahoo-wont-let-users-with-ad-blockers-access-their-email-2015-11
>>
File: shit.jpg (17 KB, 500x327) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
17 KB, 500x327
>>51488032
>hear about a restaurant offering free food
>order a steak
>waiter says there will be no charge and I eat free, as advertised
>waiter comes back with a three meter wide plate
>the plate is covered in a myriad of different things ranging from rusty blades and literal garbage to postcards offering dining-related information
>I ask the waiter what gives
>he tells me that outside sources pay my bill and in return I must sift through this pile of stuff to find and eat my steak
>tell the manager that if I have to do this every time, I'm never coming back
>manager laughs and tells me he doesn't need my business

>a fellow diner sitting beside me is served the same steak without the pile on a much smaller and easily manageable plate
>he tells me that as long as he wears a red lapel pin, he gets what was advertised with no games
>come back the next day with a red lapel pin and get my steak with no fuss
>visit restaurant for most of my dining needs

>a few days later, the restaurant begins to complain that customers with the pin are getting what they were offered
>laugh and continue to eat my free steak
>>
>>51488199
>2016
>Yahoo
>>
>>51488117
ABP with their fucking mafia acceptable ads initiative is literally what's causing problem for people.
Fuck off stupid shill.
>>
>>51488117
>tells people to stop asking questions
>claiming they're being marketed to
>markets abp to them

:|
>>
>>51487995
neither are you obligated to support them. do so if you wish, but don't try to foist some obligation to do so on others. or even you'reself.
>>
>>51488207

Did you know you can only register a Flickr account by creating a Yahoo account? I was thunderstruck when I found out.
>>
>>51488072
I'm also free to leave any food brought to me uneaten.
>>
>>51488117
I'll work on the logo anon. What's this meme you're pushing called again?
>>
>>51488343
>Did you know you can only register a YouTube account by creating a Google account? I was thunderstruck when I found out.
>>
>>51488207
It's not that, it's just a fact that a huge site is implementing adblocking and the other big whales will follow. Within a short time furryfox/chrome will remove all adblockers from the app store and disable installing any 3rd party non store apps, you know it's gonna happen.

I mean people here will be fine as there are other ways around it, but the majority of normies that are now all starting to use adblock will be reverted back to sheep status.
>>
>>51487206
ABL because it prevents ads from loading instead of merely hiding them.
>>
>>51488199
yahoo in 2015 = bad meme
>>
>>51488207
I still use my yahoo account I made in 2002
>>
>>51488343
When I found out I couldn't believe how stupid that was so I just gave up
>>
>>51488395
ABL is kill. And uBlock Origin blocks ads, you retard.
>>
>>51488395
$0.001 has been deposited to your account.
Thanks for helping our cause by shilling!
>>
>>51488456
>ABL is kill
. . . lolwut
>>
>>51488519
Oops, I guess I confused it with ABE.
>>
>>51487350
>>51487372
>>51487374
Paid shills working for the industry.
>>
Adguard poorfag.
>>
>>51488128
This.

Anyone that doesn't understand this is lying to themselves or completely retarded.

>>51488138
You said it yourself retard, nothing is stopping you from ignoring the ads on the site or even removing them after the fact. Adblock would be like getting the newspaper from a third party source who scans the paper and then removes the ads and gives out the new ad-free paper to people, which is clearly stealing.

>>51488146
>go on website
>know it has banner ad
>scroll down and don't look at it
>>
>>51488665
no one can be this retarded
>>
http://someonewhocares.org/hosts

superior ad blocking reporting in
>>
>>51488665
did you eat a lot of lead paint as a child?
>>
>>51488199
People will just jump ship onto another email provider. This is stupid for them to think they can actually make it work.
>>51488204
That is an interesting way to put it. The twist on the story would have been instead of continuing to serve to the red lapel pin customers to tell them they will be refused service until they remove them. Then the customers have the options of just ignoring the place and laugh as they go out of business from the arrogance or accept the fate and enjoy their shit meals.

True adblockers refuse to request content as it's blocked and saves bandwidth. Some merely don't display it even though it was requested.
>>
>>51488696
They won't. You underestimate peoples laziness or care for this kind of this among normies
>>
>>51488669
>driving down the freeway
>notice billboard ad
>ignore it

vs.

>driving down freeway
>tell someone in advance to go and tear down all the ads on the freeway

Sure you're paying for the car and the gas already, but driving down some roads is a privilege, would you rather every road worth driving down was a toll road?
>>
>>51488128
Print ads do not shit up my computer and track me anon

Are you retarded?
>>
>>51488677
have fun with your 11k lines hosts file
>>
>>51488724
>would you rather every road worth driving down was a toll road?
haha are you implying the billboards are the source of funding for road construction?
>>
>>51488744
>not blocking 100s of thousands of IP ranges
>>
>>51488724
Webpages do not correlate with real life. I do not have a choice to remove advertising in the physical world. If I can personalize my Web experience to be less obnoxious, I will. If I could completely remove advertising, I would. However, that won't happen. So I will continue to not view adverts on the Web.

>$0.05 cents have been deposited into your Google AdSense account, Pajeet. Thank you for doing business with us.
>>
>>51488724
if it was a toll road they wouldn't need billboards. Also what >>51488750 said.
>>
>>51488724
Don't mix real life with digital shit. Nobody is stealing cars and tearing down billboards.

If a site has issues with adblockers, they can use a paywall. If their content is good enough to make people pay, they will survive. If it isn't, they are obsolete and not meant to make money either way.
>>
>>51488677
>blocking goatse
shiggy diggy
>>
>>51488665
>I don't like what you're doing
OMG STEALING
>>
>>51488744
i do, actually. it's faster than any adblocker
>>
>>51488665
>>51488724
>Being this delusional

it's like saying that if you don't fall for scams you are stealing from the scammers
>>
>>51488979
You sick entitled fuck. Russian hackers need to eat too.
>>
>Caller ID allows me to deny answering unsolicited phone calls
>>
>>51488771
>I do not have a choice to remove costs in the physical world. If I can personalize my Web experience to be less expensive, I will. If I could completely remove costs, I would. However, that won't happen. So I will continue to download things for free on the Web.

You probably pirate software and music and movies and other goods online. What's stopping you from getting things for free in real life? An easy way to avoid costs with no legal repercussions?

Kill yourself freeloading scum.
>>
just release ublock origin for safari plox
>>
>>51489185
>pay taxes for land
>plant a garden, raise chickens
>eat free
>get called a pirate because I refuse to go out to eat
ok, kid
>>
>>51489185
>2015
>thinks piracy harms anybody
>thinks something that doesn't harm anybody can be considered crime
Don't you have to take your meds? The delusion is kicking in, brah.
>>
>>51489202
What makes it so much better than ABP?
>>
>>51489185
You just stole a bit of my bandwidth with your shitty post. Damn pirate scum.
>>
>>51487429
That mindset killed web design.
Don't let it kill programming you lazy idiot.
>>
>>51489185
>What's stopping you from getting things for free in real life?
The police, and beyond that, revenge from original owners. Why do you think looting is rampant during natural disasters?
>>
Should I uninstalled uBlock for safari now and install ABP? Since uBlock is abandoned.
>>
>>51488390
At that point, i'd just start forking chromium and removing the addon checks myself. Remove any google requests, and all done.
>>
>>51489456
sure go ahead
>>
>>51488677
Do you know how much that slows domain requests down? A fuck ton, it has to scan that massive text file every fucking time it goes to a domain, it's pretty disgusting.

I do use it for blocking Skype ads, but that's only 5 extra lines.
>>
>>51489588
>latency when looking up a domain that is blocked: 0ms
>latency when looking up a domain that isn't blocked: at least 30ms

you are forgetting that the dns server is also just a huge list of domains. a hosts file circumvents the dns and actually improves speed ya dingus.
>>
>>51489621
Go put 1,000,000 lines in a hosts file and see how quickly it loads webpages. You clearly don't know how computers search simple text files if you think it's not putting a damper on speed.

Now, if they used an sql database or something for the hosts file, and separated it by numeric/alphabetical order, it would make a way smaller difference. But no, it's just going down a huge file and looking for specific lines of text. It makes a noticable difference on applications that request multiple domains, like online vidya. And yeah, 11,000 vs 1,000,000 is a big stretch, but the difference vs a smaller hosts file is still legible.
>>
The biggest problem I have with ads is their trackers so I will continue blocking them.
>>
>>51488897
why?
>>
>>51487429
>unused ram that I don't have is wasted ram
>>
Many ISPs/Cell phone companies have data caps

Ads eat into data cap

It is my right to block them.. fuck off anyone who disagrees
>>
>>51490520
I'm not disagreeing with you that ad blocking is good, but we should be fighting the fucking carriers for that data cap
>>
>>51490645
Well I agree about that, and I disable ad blocking on certain sites.
>>
File: img.png (1 KB, 37x43) Image search: [Google]
img.png
1 KB, 37x43
>>51487206
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.