[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck do large companies always suck ass at making good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
Why the fuck do large companies always suck ass at making good websites?

>oracle, software giant
>website uses clickable divs for links
>slow as fuck
>3rd party account linking is done with a fucking hourly external database sync instead of maybe something that isn't disgusting, like openid
>can't change account linking myself
>"change account linking" form referred to by website doesn't exist
>hotline for my country and language redirects to america nad hangs up on me while I'm in the queue
>only remaining option is "LivePerson chat"
>some murican faggot whose messages are 90% nonconstructive shit like "I appreciate your patience. Please give me a minute to look into that. I value your time."

>base, some shit phone provider, dunno if just for my shithole country (Belgium, the developmental black hole of Europe)
>"budget alert" and other shit scheduled to be sent at 7:00 in the fucking morning even on weekends
>want to change to email
>sections of the website give errors on load every fucking time I load the page for weeks on end
>"preferred contact option" doesn't persist after save, and saving errors half the time
>account has email address, yet another "preferred contact option" (why 2???) wants me to get an email address first

>red cross internal platform for volunteers
>a bottom-fixed toolbar with a logout button? that'll require 20 nested divs, all of which serve only 1 purpose at a time (align to right, align to bottom, set row height, etc), anon

>all companies ever
>overusing js for everything
>overengineering everything
>slow as fuck everything
>nothing is lightweight

I think this is the kind of shit that causes /g/ to say web devs are cancer and web dev is a meme. I work for java dev company and often have to do web frontends. Take it from me, these shitheads give web design a pretty bad fucking name. Kids just out of college do a better job making websites than whoever the hell these corporate faggots are.
>>
>>51486443
Because they don't care, they don't make their business with their website like some shitty startup and let clueless trainees work on them so they get used to the company without caring about the quality of the result
>>
>>51486474
They really should fucking care. Their websites are fucking disgusting and a pain in the ass to use.

For example, because of Oracle's shitty website, I can't view my oracle cert exam results, because they royally fucked up the account linking (you need 3 fucking different accounts to view your fucking cert exams) and managed to make it so that the cert viewer is oblivious of my exams.

Whoever's in charge of shit like this should be shot, fired, and set on fire.
>>
>>51486537
Are you going to stop using oracle products because of that? Are you going to say to your boss that he should change your DB or whatever because their website to manage certs sucks? Are you going to refuse to work with oracle and use your newly acquired certificate?
>>
>>51486555
Having no choice but to go along with it doesn't mean I can't hate their stupid ass guts for the shit quality work they deliver
>>
File: 78234754861.jpg (24 KB, 285x413) Image search: [Google]
78234754861.jpg
24 KB, 285x413
>>51486443
>tumbler gif
>>
File: CQ2M5WH.png (63 KB, 760x619) Image search: [Google]
CQ2M5WH.png
63 KB, 760x619
>>51486443
I feel you.

> Pic related.
> Has been like this for 3 days
>>
>>51486589
Hear ya, but complaining about clickable divs is #1? I mean wtf is up your ass? Seriously, you work for SAP or Salesforce or some shit, eh?
>>
>>51486712
following order does not imply priority
>>
>>51486636
>thinking I care about the fucking source or anything of a stupid gif
I couldn't care less about /g/-peen and all the other 4chan culture bullshit
>>
>>51486443
>slow link click blamed on div
>doesn't control proprietary software
>international call disconnected
>too kind help desk
>other complaints making no sense
Are you on your period, Anon? I'll wait.
>>
>>51486443
:DDDDDDDDD
>>
>>51486927
>>slow link click blamed on div
Where do you even read me blaming x on y? Clickable divs where links should be used (or clickable spans, even worse) are separate from the site just being slow as fuck
>>too kind help desk
There is nothing as annoying and unkind as someone just yanking your leg and wasting time on formal bullshit dialogue instead of just getting to the point
>accounts being auto-linked by a system that apparently can't tell left from right in a way that gives the user 0 control and doesn't ask for confirmation or anything, meaning you're screwed because it fucked up
>shit contact services
>website that doesn't fucking work at all for weeks and just pulls your leg by "saving" shit and then resetting it
>etc
>nothing wrong with any of this

What kind of fucking sheep are you man?
>>
>>51486474
Of course they care, impressions through the website are very important for any company. It's free marketing, they better make it good.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (874 KB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
874 KB, 500x210
>>51486990
this
>>
>>51486443
Do you work at 4chan because this shit is slow as fuck right now
>>
>>51487027
>implying I would commit this sort of atrocious web dev
>>
I hate these new types of single page scroll until you die websites full of pictures and fluff but devoid of the content I am looking for.
Why would you design a corporate website for mobile first when any potential client sits at work surfing on a desktop?
>>
>>51486856
hello reddit
>>
>>51487559
Infinite scrolling websites are a cancer that needs to be violently killed with the softest instrument.

The worst part is those FUCKS don't even have URL pagination, so you ALWAYS have to scroll through X pages to find what you want.
FUCK. OFF.

Even worse are those shit infinite scrolling pages that automatically populate more of the page.
SO YOU CAN NEVER REACH THE FOOTER OF THE WEBPAGE UNLESS YOU REACH THE END. BECAUSE FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY.

Any time you find a site with infinite scrolling, e-mail the webmaster and call him a fucking cunt.
>>
>>51487734
>The worst part is those FUCKS don't even have URL pagination, so you ALWAYS have to scroll through X pages to find what you want.
>FUCK. OFF.
Well, actually, URL-navigation for those kind of sites is pretty easy to do.
>SO YOU CAN NEVER REACH THE FOOTER OF THE WEBPAGE UNLESS YOU REACH THE END. BECAUSE FUCK YOU, THAT'S WHY.
Why would you ever have a footer on such page.

Problem is not with the concept, which is great for landings, problem is with retards who implement it.
>>
>>51487883
I know, that's what pisses me off the most, URL page parameters are trivial to work with.
If they exist, act on them, if not, do nothing.
With websites that are entirely based on templating, it is even easier to do. Nope, can't do it m8, 2 dum.
Infinite rage.

The footer thing is so mind-numbingly stupid though. It is done so often.
Hell, I think Facebook does it. Let me check that shit.
Nope, at least they fixed that shit. They have their footer in the 3rd sidebar now.
But the UI got even worse since I last saw it. Fuck me that thing looks like an eyesore now.
>>
>>51487594
I'm not a redditor either, idgaf about breddit
>>
>>51486443
>>51486856

dumb frogposter
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.