[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
plugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: B_plug.jpg (9 KB, 453x275) Image search: [Google]
B_plug.jpg
9 KB, 453x275
How common are pic related in the US?

I need to go from glorious Schuko to US plugs, which either means I have to get an adapter for those, or have to get an adapter for non-grounded EU plugs, and then hope to be able to cut out some pieces to make grounded Schuko fit, and just disregard ground (which works OK for my laptop).

so what should I do?
>>
Those sockets don't look too happy
>>
>>51485528
buy an adapter.
Have you never travelled before in your live?
>>
>>51485528

Three prong outlets are ubiquitous. You should get an adapter for two prong outlets too because some older places might have a combination of the two outlets and really old places could still be two prong only.
>>
>>51485562
>Have you never travelled before in your live?
Yes.
And then I realized that there is still some backwards, third world countries which dont have ground built into their receptacles and thus all adapters dont have it either.
And to avoid running a device that needs ground on a non grounded line, Schuko plugs are designed in such a way that you can easily built a non grounded outlet that will not fit a grounded Schuko, which means that I have to cut away the parts preventing me from plugging in my plug.
>>
>>51485589
stop being autistic for once, just buy an adapter and get it over with. I've been to various non-EU countries and never has my laptop exploded, nor did my phone.
>>
>>51485555
Their mouths exist solely to accept large grounded dicks. You'd be unhappy too.
>>
>How common are pic related in the US?

That's a joke, or a trick question right? They are the standard AC outlet in the US, have been for 15+ years now.

>you ignorant fool, don't come to my country, stay the fuck where you are, please
>>
>>51485612
It is not about the exploding.
I know that I can run my laptop without ground (in fact, the power brick is even designed for it), but I dont want to buy an adapter for a plug that I will not be able to use because it wont fit, either in the outlet, or my Schuko.
If it really is autistic to think before you plug (pun intended), then yes, I am autistic.
>>
>>51485589
for someone as naive as you, you're a pretty powerfully overwhelming condescending faggot.
>>
>>51485622
Well, given that most small devices that are focused on the US (eg laptops and tablets) dont have ground, even if they really need it (fucking surface has no ground, so it grounds through you, when charging, as does the thinkpad tablet and various series of macbooks), it seems like a reasonable assumption.
>>
>>51485646
Jesus fuck stay away from the US you Finnish-level autistic failure.
>>
>>51485577
I lived in a house that was two prong exclusively. Built in 1943, so really unless OP is going to stay in a really old place that has never been upgraded, they will only ever see the newer three prong.
>>51485646
You only really need grounding when there is the potential for mains voltage to contact a surface the user may come into contact with, such as a drill that used an all metal case would need to be grounded, as if the line side breaks the whole case could be carrying line voltage if not grounded. Things like power bricks (plastic and low voltage dc out) and many other things that have suitable insulation or nonconductive cases simply don't need to be grounded. No point in grounding the plastic case of a little electric screwdriver since even if the wiring breaks, it can't become lethal to touch since it's plastic.
>>
are you asking about the ground specifically? I live in the US and I can go years without seeing a NEMA-1 socket, however NEMA 1 plugs are common so they can make a single plug useable Japan which has not adopted NEMA 5.
>>
My condo was built in the late 1990s and it still has all two prong plugs except the kitchen and A/C.

Hell my front load washer I bought last year came unmodified as two prong.
>>
File: configchart1.jpg (107 KB, 564x660) Image search: [Google]
configchart1.jpg
107 KB, 564x660
>>51485528
>>
File: configchart2.jpg (26 KB, 504x150) Image search: [Google]
configchart2.jpg
26 KB, 504x150
>>51486480
>>
File: configchart3.jpg (66 KB, 504x365) Image search: [Google]
configchart3.jpg
66 KB, 504x365
>>51486493
>>
File: configchart4.jpg (31 KB, 504x181) Image search: [Google]
configchart4.jpg
31 KB, 504x181
>>51486503
>>
File: configchart5.jpg (24 KB, 504x153) Image search: [Google]
configchart5.jpg
24 KB, 504x153
>>51486515
>>
>>51486480
That chart is kinda off, as I know for a fact that Japan runs on only 100V not 125V

The country I reside in runs on 110V and not 125V.

Plugging strictly 100V japanese appliances into my 110V socket without a stepdown results in a shorter lifespan.
>>
>>51485912
>You only really need grounding when there is the potential for mains voltage to contact a surface the user may come into contact with,
True.

However you should have it too, when you have a low voltage and a metal casing, such as with fashion accesoires like >muh airplane grade aluminium laptops since they neither
>have suitable insulation or nonconductive cases
It really sucks when you touch your laptop and get this slight electric tingling on your fingertips.
>>
File: Cheater_plug_edited.jpg (130 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Cheater_plug_edited.jpg
130 KB, 1280x960
>>51485528 (OP)
Those are the only type of outlet in the US.
There are two versions, grounded and not grounded.. the only differecnce is the bottum hole being there or not being there.

the two hole version is the old one used before "grounding" was a thing.
You should be able to go into any hardware store and buy an adapter plug. honestly the ground doesnt matter if you just want a device to werk.. you could probably just cut the bottom prong off and never notice a difference but if you dont want to go that route get pic related.. they cost like $2 usd.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.