[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/ what' your favorite chat platform? I'm trying
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: tittays.png (7 KB, 323x231) Image search: [Google]
tittays.png
7 KB, 323x231
Hey /g/ what' your favorite chat platform? I'm trying to find something that:
1. Saves chat logs
2. Has a clean, preferably customizable UI
3. Sells as little of my data as possible

Steam chat doesn't save anything, but the UI is nice with skins. Skype is ugly, ad-infested, and sends everything to Microsoft, and Facebook is Facebook.

I've googled everything I can think of for the past few days but haven't had much luck coming up with anything.

Any suggestions?
>>
( . Y . )
Holy shit it works
>>
telegram
it's used by isis
it's secure enough
alternatively tox but it's buggy
>>
weechat
>>
>>51485381
>Steam chat doesn't save anything,
based on what?
>>
>>51485404
It's not easy to access and sometimes impossible to recover steam chat logs. Excuse me for wanting some functionality.
>>
Tox or your choice of irc client. Weechat is great and on everything. My phone even has it through termux.
>>
>>51485381

sms
>>
I really like the looks of weechat but unfortunately a lot of my friends are practically computer-illiterate and would be immediately turned off by the aesthetics of it.

Tox and Telegram both look pretty nice, I'll give them both a try and see which one I like more. Thanks, /g/.
>>
Signal. Best Android chat I've ever used. Looks sexy, not many bugs, open source, end-to-end encrypted and even has encrypted calls. On top of that, it can still be used to send texts to signal and non-signal users.
>>
>>51485448
Weechat is an irc client. They can use whatever client they want. Also antox, tox's android port, lacks video and voice chat right now, but the desktop qtox has it iirc.
>>
On a related note, does anyone know of any good reading/places to start research for someone who is concerned about privacy in general but doesn't know that much about the technical aspects of it?

I'm a game dev so I'm not completely incompetent with computers but I'd appreciate a boost.
>>
Line
>>
>>51485381
IRC. The protocol is entirely open and there's a bajillion clients to choose from, on pretty much every OS. Different people have a different idea of what's a good UI, so look around. Most clients have an option to log. Both one-on-one chat (/msg) and group chat (#channels) are available. The servers you connect to generally don't log your messages, most support SSL, many with options to authenticate using your client SSL fingerprint instead of a password.

Things get a little yucky for phones though, since the protocol requires a constant connection to the server, and doesn't include push messages since it's about as old as the Internet. There are however bouncers and other programs you can run on a PC and then connect to from anywhere with either a normal IRC client or a special app that goes with it.
>>
>>51485448
>other irc clients don't exist
>weechat can't connect to tox
>weechat can't connect to bitlbee
i talk to everybody everywhere through weechat

also, for people annoyed at tox in general, this thing exists: https://ring.cx/
>>
>>51485396
try ( • Y • )
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.