[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anti-virus software either dies young or lives long enough to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
File: its happening.png (134 KB, 701x442) Image search: [Google]
its happening.png
134 KB, 701x442
Anti-virus software either dies young or lives long enough to become the villain.

What anti-virus do you recommend? Because AVG just spams pop-ups about updates and shit like this now even though I have all those things disabled.
>>
I'm using gnu/Linux
>>
Malwarebytes by far
>>
AVG is pretty good, why are you fucking crying OP?
You can just leave it like that, it doesn't matter.
>>
>>51483856
>AVG is pretty good
>literally selling you online
>>
>>51483330
MSE + common sense 2016
>>
>>51483888
Trips speak the truth.
>>
MSE+malwarebytes now
dropped avast after it gave me false positives from programs I wrote myself (really awful heuristics, pretty much any small program that does anything at all seems to get flagged)
>>
>>51483330
Linux
>>
Avast + Malwarebytes
>>
>>51483330
>using AVG
>ever
AVG has always given me headaches every single time I evaluate it, since 2003.

It was never a good AV solution, EVER.
Nor was it ever performant, EVER.
Nor did it ever have good detection rate, EVER.

Just crawl back into your nostalgia and go buy a copy of Kaspersky, because you're too fucking stupid to manage using any decent free AV solution without shooting yourself in the foot.
>>
>Using an antivirus
>>
>>51485643
Man, I installed AVG on my nephew's computer and now I feel bad.
>>
>>51485735
You should.
>>
NOD32, never needed anything else. It just werks
>>
malwarebytes only
>>
>>51483330
AVG went to shit years ago.

>What anti-virus do you recommend?
Nothing.
>>
>people still think not clicking downloadavirus.com is enough
>>
mfw an antivirus is just a willingly installed spyware that checks all your files while you use them and makes your computer slower
>>
>MSE used to be the best
>then MSE was the worst
>now MSE is the best again
>>
>>51486359
AVG was ALWAYS shit, I cannot stress this enough.

You know what I always say when I see some sort of shit "AV" solution (Panda, nProtect, norton, etc.) on a computer that isn't one of the good ones? (Kaspersky, ESET, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, etc.)

"At least it isn't AVG"
>>
>>51486386
did AVG fuck your mother?
>>
I use vipre
It werks
>>
>>51486396
No, but it has been a plague of my professional life for well over a decade, now.
>>
Kaspersky.

The russian sectret service had to set up a seperate server for all my rare peeps.
>>
Common AV aren't good as how they work.
You need some deny-policy based software, like in Comodo (free security suite BTW)
>>
>>51486365
this
Common sense is pretty useless nowadays.
>>
>AVG
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-09/17/avg-privacy-policy-browser-search-data
>>
>>51483330
I use ESET Smart Security, which is basically Nod32 with a firewall. Has some deny-based policies that I enforce against phone-homes that I don't like.

>>51486396
AVG fucks everyone's mother, when it comes to executables. When it comes to an unsigned EXE, they err on the side of caution every single time.

Their browser they like to bundle is also kind of Ask-tier, anyway.
>>
>>51486499
You also forget it slows everything to a fucking crawl to the point that even removing it is a pain in the ass.
>>
My company uses ESET. Dumb fuckers we install it for never run scans of course and get infected out the ass.

I had been using Avast every year for a long time to the point I started actually paying for it just out of appreciation, then they pulled that adware bullshit a ways back and I uninstalled. Currently using Defender and I probably don't need an active AV since I have MWB and adblock plus, but I feel very naked without it.
>>
Any opinions on 360 Total Security?
>>
all AVs are botnets, use your god damn brain and don't download shady files or video game "cracks" made by "scene" groups
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.