[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you all think of Seagate's solid state hybrid drives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3
File: 2tb SSHD.jpg (170 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
2tb SSHD.jpg
170 KB, 1500x1500
What do you all think of Seagate's solid state hybrid drives?
>>
Here's what I think:
Why?
>>
>>51482680
Second that price/GB SSD hit a tipping point.
>>
>>51482680
to have greater speed and more storage
>>
Maybe a year or so ago, I could see a use. With SSD's rapidly expanding in storage and coming down in price, there really isn't a point anymore.
>>
>>51482706
nigga what?
you are relying on their caching algorithm for speed. Why would you not just get a SSD and a HDD and have complete control over what does where?
>>
Anyone not willing to drop $350 on a SSD with a 500MB/second read/write is a spoiled little bitch that has no clue how big of a deal this leap in technology is.
>>
>>51482746
The entire point is its cheaper than an SSD, but faster than an HDD, while retaining the size of an HDD.
>>
>>51482805
how can one be spoiled if they're not willing to spend money? What?
>>
>>51482836
Really? Rewind 5 years ago 1TB hard drives cost the same as a 1TB SSD does now. You sir are spoiled by the fast advancement of technology. Get an SSD and stop trying to make a hybrid a thing.
>>
>>51482906
The two points you're saying dont complement each other. I dont understand what you're trying to say
>>
>>51482921
Justify > 1TB of fast storage without stealing anything.
>>
>>51482979
make me
>>
>>51482979
not him but I do landscape photography and shoot in raw format. Raw files are almost always over 20MB in size, and fast access is really useful even to access one file at a time (let's not even think about stitching or layering lots of photos).

<1TB would be begging for trouble in my opinion.
>>
>>51483008
150,000 raw images, by the time that happens who knows what size SSD's are out.
>>
>>51482979
I still dont understand what you're trying to say, what does "stealing anything" mean? Yea an SSD is better, its just more expensive. Obviously its going to be better, thats not why the product exists.
>>
>>51483142
If you want fast caching just cram 32GB of RAM in a computer, if you want a fast drive buy a SSD. There is absolutely no use for a hybrid and that is why they are so rare when they are not complex to make.
>>
>>51483177
The use is to replace an HDD. Why is it so hard for you to understand that an SSD is expensive proportionate to an HDD? It is a really good replacement for that only twenty dollars more for a noticeable improvement. Thats the use, its not complicated. It is also more cost efficient than 32gb of RAM and thats just a fact. So if thats your rebuttal to me my point still stands that its more cost efficient.
>>
>>51483207
You can slap a bandaid on an issue (hybrid) or you can solve the problem (SSD) and if you want it to be more cost effective, time solves that. The rate of change is so drastic you compromise on space and upgrade when needed. If you have high end needs you pay a high end price.
>>
>>51482979
Database server.
>>
>>51482665
>Seagate
I think i'll just get another brand instead.
>>
>>51483352
If you think Seagate can predict database trends with their caching algorithm, you have more faith in that technology than I do.
>>
>>51483403
You asked for fast storage over 1TB, that counts RAID10'd SSDs. Fuck SSHDs.
>>
>>51482821
nah son, you can get an SSD and a tb hard drive for about the same price as any of the hybrid drives.
>>
>>51483450
Database must be of a DVD collection or something relatively that important if on junk hardware.
>>
>>51482665
Worthless. You can get SSDs at around ~1TB for almost 20c per gig now. Some Black Friday sales have 1TB SSDs for $200 w/free shipping.

Why bother with a hybrid drive if you need faster storage in large amounts?
>>
SSD's are cheap as fuck nowadays, there's literally no point in getting one of these.
>>
File: 74567h34567h36.png (249 KB, 398x368) Image search: [Google]
74567h34567h36.png
249 KB, 398x368
>>51482665
>Seagate
>>
>>51482665
These are good only if you have a system that's limited to 1 drive.

Some laptops/notebooks, consoles like the PS4 or Xbox One.

It's also decent for old people who just don't learn to separate their things on different drives.

Some tech illiterate clients call me and complain why their C drive is full and when I check, their D drive is empty, everything is on the fucking desktop and installed on the C drive.

Replaced their SSD+HDD setup with a SSHD and they become happy, heck some of them even recommend their friends with regular HDDs to upgrade to a SSHD.

There is obviously a market for SSHDs, we're just not part of that market.
>>
>>51483778
Redirect home directory to mass storage, install os/programs to SSD if grandma and grandpa somehow come up with over a TB of data.
>>
Didn't these hit shelves like 6 years ago and die just as quickly?
Worst of both worlds and twice the MTBF.
>>
>>51483905
Doesn't work when they have kids that install games all over the C drive.

Doesn't matter if you set the default download directories to the mechanical, they will just click desktop when downloading.

>>51483931
The early ones didn't even have TRIM or power loss protection.

People were touting that the SSDs would go into read only mode when they hit the end of their life but there are lots of report of the SSD just being gone in bios instead.

Sure, if you pay out the ass for a top end SSD it will last, but even drives like Samsungs have their own problems.
>>
>>51483261
The fact of the situation is some people dont want to pay that much so it exists for them. You keep saying over and over that an SSD is better but it exists to be a middle ground. What kind of reality do you want where there is only low and high end but never an in between under no circumstances for no other reason than I said so?
>>
>>51483547
its $80 for two tb, and you're only getting that number from a sale event once a year. You can say the same for literally any other product that goes on sale. its not worthless, its a value and alternative to hdd
>>
>>51482665
I think it might be an okay idea if it wasnt from seagate but
>seagate
>>
Is this thread filled with non native English speakers, my god I can barely follow these conversations
>>
>>51482906

>Rewind 5 years ago 1TB hard drives cost the same as a 1TB SSD does now

Rewind futher
>>
>>51483649
<meme arrows
>>
why hardrive is even buy when ssd is nice fast now?
>>
>>51484580

It's curry o'clock.
>>
>>51482665
Irrelevant now that 1TB SSDs are affordable
>>
>>51485958
DESIGNATED
>>
It's a shit ratio between cache and storage. I remember fucking around with Intel RST and using a 60gb ssd as a cache foer gaymen and a few other things and difference was good. 8gb for 4tb is trash though.
>>
Fastest 4tb 7200rpm drive that isn't WD black?
>>
File: jej2.jpg (33 KB, 314x288) Image search: [Google]
jej2.jpg
33 KB, 314x288
>>51482665
2 things
First
>Seagate
They make bad drives bruh.
Second
>SSHD Firmware and drivers
This is the second problem as it stands self optimized mode and Host OS mode, they just plain suck.
Benchmarks prove this by testing the R/W speeds on all disks and smacking the cache around like a little bitch they just go haywire and revert back to HDD performance levels.
>>
It's a scam to get people to pay more for a mechanical drive.
>>
>>51482979
virtual machines work faster
video games load faster
programs load faster
boot is faster
just faster
faster
>>
>>51487904
>virtual machines work faster
I didn't know upgrading your storage improved your VM's processor.
>>
>>51487999
virtual disks can be slow on a traditional hard drive. random access speed is faster on a ssd so you get better file system performance which can equate to your vm running better/faster.
>>
>>51488008
Waiting on i/o is not "work," faggot.
>>
>>51488022
the overall function of a VM can be improved by the use of SSDs you semantic faggot fuck
>>
>>51488259
Are you running virtual machines on you home computer or something? Real work machines have enough memory to make swapping a non-issue.
And no, doing shit at home isn't work, you retarded NEETfag.
>>
>>51483352
Please don't ever build a database server.
>>
>>51482979
1 TB is nothing we ate not in the 90s where you would compress data or delete stuff when your drive gets full just buy another one every one or two years. Save your work every few hours and not replace it backups ate awesome to have. And when I buy media the first thing I do is led it on my media partition why the duck should I need to put a blue ray into something more then once?
>>
>>51482665
I've never had anything Seagate last longer than a year.
>>
>>51488620
Can't take care of your shit? I had one that lasted 10 years of constant formats, installs, torrenting, etc. Ended up just throwing it away because it wouldn't die and was slow as fuck.
>>
>>51482665
bought one two weeks when i built my pc
1tb sshd was 70€ while a normal 1tb hdd would be 60€ for me so i though why not
it does its job, booting takes <10sec, so thats fine
currently it's my only drive till i get a samsung 850 pro or sandisk extreme pro
>>
>>51482665

Almost comedically outdated already. Anyone who needs a fast terabyte drive can afford a full SSD, anyone who wants tons of cheap storage will just buy a huge HDD, and normal people barely use any space and can easily settle with a smaller SSD.
>>
Why is Seagate so bad?
Only two hard drives I have are Seagate so I have nothing to compare to but they were cheap and work.

Are others faster or something?
>>
>>51482665

>SSHD

meme
>>
>>51487999
Ill take IOPS for 500, Alex.
>>
>>51482665
>the speed of a shit-tier ssd coupled with the unrivalled failure rate of a seagate mechanical disk
yeah i think i'll give it a miss m8
>>
Hybrid drives are pointless. A small ssd isn't that expensive anymore, so pairing one with a large hdd is the best route.
>>
>>51482979
I do CAD to CAM ghost images and they can be anywhere from 500mb to 80gb+ a piece, along with other files from the project a single folder for one project can be 150gb or more.

I have 15 TB of storage filled with hundreds of old projects.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.