[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me ONE reason for not using Linux >inb4 muh games Wine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 37
File: dfg.png (41 KB, 505x250) Image search: [Google]
dfg.png
41 KB, 505x250
Give me ONE reason for not using Linux

>inb4 muh games
Wine
SteamOS
>>
NukeX runs like shit on lincux
>>
I don't really feel like it
>>
>>51482452
muh games
>>
neurotypicality

pardon the tumblrism
>>
>>51482452
I use it,but it gets to be a pain in the ass after awhile.
>>
Games, drivers, programs
>>
>>51482452
Hentai games are really hard to get working on linux, if at all.
>>
>>51482688
What's the fucking point of this shit?
>horrible gameplay so no merit as actual games
>have to put in hours of work to get nude anime girl pic #1795843 you could just find literally anywhere else online
>by the time you do this your boner is gone
>>
>>51482452

terrabad support and userbase that`s mainly composed of indians, commies and turbonegroes
>>
Give me one good reason why I SHOULD switch to linux?

> inb4 "muh security," I never get viruses/malware anyway.
>>
>>51482452
>im not you
>i dont want to use your shitty "OS"
>i dont want to spend thousands of dollars for chemotherapy after i use it
>>
>>51482452
because I use OpenIndiana
>>
Your work requires MS VisualStudio.
>>
>>51482883
The challenge makes the reward sweeter.
>>
File: 1375249156942.jpg (26 KB, 421x320) Image search: [Google]
1375249156942.jpg
26 KB, 421x320
None of the fucking programs I need are on it.
>>
>>51482452
Muh games. Steam OS and Wine are both limited.
>>
>>51482918
commies for sure
but everyone knows Windows is the official OS of all Indians
>>
>>51482452
because I don't want to have to bother with installing packages and searching up which commands do what and having to use shitty "workarounds" or alternatives for 80% of the shit I use

fuck Linux
>>
Noob here.

I know Linux is very lightweight, so is good to use on old computers.

But what about applications? Are they lightweight too? Say I open 30 tabs on firefox while watching a video or doing some photo editing.

Is it going to be faster doing that on Linux than on Windows?
>>
>>51483182
VS just went open source you nigger
>>
>>51483287
Most things seem faster on linux desu senpai
>>
AutoCAD and other Autodesk programs

they just dont fuckin work in wine, its not even worth trying at this point, if you do get it to work, theres no fucking driver support for the graphics card i need to run the programs

id rather just work offline and unplugged to avoid the botnet than have to deal with trying to use maya on linux
>>
>>51482452
Just personal experience:
>no any proper multimedia application like video editing, DAW, publishing software etc
>driver support for studio soundcards
>unreal engine on linux requires compiling and no marketplace
>directx since most linux games are just ported to opengl poorly
>>
>>51483287
web browsers run much smoother on linux, only proprietary plugins have issues
>>
>>51482452
Video Tearing
>>
>>51482452
shitty mascot
>>
Isn't WINE 32-bit only?
I thought today's games are 64-bit only.
>>
>>51483541
Even if you were to run games on wine, they would run like shit
>>
being able to afford modern hardware
>>
>>51483278
And I like looking for programs in the interwebs, download them bundled with adware and cryptominer with my glorious native internet explorer
>>
>>51483541
Wine exist in 32 and 64bits. The big aaa games are often available in 32 and 64, but most of them still 32bits.
>>
>>51483293
VS != VS Code.

One is a full IDE with tons if useful stuff, the other is a glorified text editor.
>>
Installing a game on Windows
>click install

Installing a game on Linux
>click install
>game runs like shit
>try open source drivers
>game runs even worse
>mess with wine
>no clue what version to use
>google says nothing
>go on internet forum and ask
>mod tells you to learn to google and closes thread
>format drive and install windows like a normal person
>>
>>51482452
The only reason: Linux requires curiosity and initiative. If you lack those, Linux aint your thing.
>>
muh windows explorer
>>
>>51484134

>installing a game

well, there's yer problem right there
>>
>>51485100
The file managers available on Linux are way better than any available on Windows.

Explorer doesn't even have tabs, no easy way to toggle showing hidden files, no support for SFTP, can't fully customize sidebar, no native video thumbnail support, no split screen, no "open in terminal", no built-in terminal, no support for opening files with shell scripts, if you want to rename a file extension it forces a popup box warning you, it just feels clunky, etc.
>>
>>51485262
b-but muh familiarity
>>
It doesn't just werk, and even if you make it work after 10 hours it still won't work for longer than 2 days

I really wanted to go linux on my laptop, because win10 was buggy, I've red shitton of stuff about it, learned how to console and this shit
Then I somehow managed to make it work, it was so good,it looked great and everything

2 days later, I haven't even done anything, I can't log into gnome, I tried other DE's and I still couldn't log in, I asked around everywhere and no one had an answer

So now I'm stuck with win10 again
At least it works
>>
>>51482452
I use Kubuntu on my laptop for my daily shit like browsing 4cins, listening to music and watching movies, but has Windows for gaming on my desktop.
The rabid and toxic community that is attracted to Linux is reason enough to not use it though.
>>
>>51485305
My wife uses mint and she can't even use a file manager.
Hassle free install.
Hell, all I did was add a few plug-ins to FF and copy her music collection to it.
>>
No reason why I would switch from a user-friendly OS to Linux
>>
>>51482452
lack of cd/dvd ripping software like eac, dvdfab, avisynth, megui
>>
>>51482452
I make video games and software
A huge majority of my target audience is using Windows
>>
Is there reason to switch FreeBSD from Gentoo?
>>
>>51483471
This isn't 2003 anymore. Half the criticisms of Linux on /g/ is shit true a decade ago but no longer apply. Sure, wine is still spotty and game support sucks but general computing (interwebs, office, video) is near flawless if you pick a stable distro
>>
>>51485383
> implying familiarity = user friendly
>>
>>51482452
FUCK off you imense retarded just install a distro or dont, stop posting the same god damn as every other day.
>>
>>51483380
osx is more secure than linux anyway
>>
>>51482452
try running fallout 4 and gta v in wine... also people dont want to sped ages setting up their games.
>>
>>51482452
>Give me one reason except these reasons I arbitrarily choose to reject.
No.
>>
Linux is fun for hobbyists, the fun is in getting it to work exactly they way you want to

If you just want to do shit then don't use Linux
>>
>>51482688
Most eroge works on Wine nowadays
>>
cuz loonix is work
windowz is game
mac is art
>>
Games perform like shit.
Too many different distros using different versions of shit leading to compatibility issues, especially with drivers.
Shit drivers.
Breaks really fucking easily.
>>
>>51482452
>running linux
>not running vax/vms
>>
File: meme.png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>51482452
Windows 10 is objectively better than OSX/Linux/BSD in every aspect.

The purpose of an OS is to run any application the user requires to facilitate their lifestyle, not the other way around. 99.99% of software is produced exclusively for Windows, it has the best gaming performance of all platforms with DirectX and the biggest software ecosystem in the world where it is easy to find solutions to problems and installers make it chicken shit easy for even noobs to get on board.

Checkmate faggot
>>
>>51486593
Um no, the point of an OS isn't to work, the point of an OS is to agree with a "philosophy" by the people who created the OS. It's way more important to know that your OS is free, libre, free-range, organic, cruelty-free software instead of having something that actually does shit.
>>
call me when it runs battlefront without a vm/gpu passthrough. bonus points if it runs natively without wine.
>>
File: 1447857686784.jpg (15 KB, 185x268) Image search: [Google]
1447857686784.jpg
15 KB, 185x268
>>51486593
>Windows 10 is objectively better than OSX/Linux/BSD in every aspect.
>>
>>51486634
Windows 10 is free, unlike OSX where you pay the Apple tax first and let them probe your bum.

Linux needs better drivers if it wants to get the mainstream users on board. It also needs to consolidate its ecosystem. Every distro has 5 things that I like and 10 things I don't like making it impossible to settle with any one distro/DE for the long haul. It is an insult to the intelligence of the users when people put such outdated and crude UI designed for autistic turbo nerds instead of normal people.
>>
>>51486634
Did u rly just say the point of an OS isn't for it to work

OPERATING SYSTEM
OPERATION
END USER
USER
USE
HELP ME IM DYING

most people don't care about the freeness or fairness of their stuff as long as it Just WorksTM

we are the abnormals
>>
File: mornin son.jpg (54 KB, 512x534) Image search: [Google]
mornin son.jpg
54 KB, 512x534
but if you don't exclusively run windows you have le autism!
>people who use their personal computers for their jobs
>>
>>51486730
What else is the purpose of a computer? If it cannot multi-task and be used anywhere then it can fuck off.

A robust operating system is flexible and feature rich enough to adapt to any environment from gaming, workstation, enterprise, personal use, entertainment or development etc.

If your OS fails to meet most of these criteria, it is a piece of junk.
>>
>Video games
>Photoshop
>3D modelling (blender is convoluted)
>GOOD video editing software
>Can run software without spamming away at the terminal for an hour in an attempt to get it to work
>>
>>51482452
I see no Visual Studio replacement for C# and C++. Visual Code is coming up on C# but C++ is still missing.
>>
>>51486690
Windows is full of shitware while the Arch User Repository and the Arch Wiki have almost everything I need.

You seem to have posted this >>51486690 and some other stuff with the same high intellectual standards. Please change your way of acting, you're funny but ultimately useless.
>>
>muh games
now kindly fuckoff
>>
>>51486799
Because developers don't target one OS for something doesn't mean it's not capable. In the mid-80's, doing much of anything on the old Mac OS was a pipe dream, but by the time ten years passed, it was the birth place of Photoshop, had Quicktime (played back media rapidly even on shit hardware, ask a Macintosh IIx owner), and started a conquest in school systems all over the U.S. Windows itself, the thing everyone takes for granted, started with no good games, too. All the developers stayed back on DOS, where they could access things the quick and dirty way, and for the time being, it was good enough. Recall WinG and the original GDI. Nobody develops for Linux so nobody into "the most popular thing" uses it. And if nobody uses it, who would have bought what would have been developed? Nothing has had multitasking/preemption issues since Mac OS 9 died, and half of those criteria sound like ads for some shitty tower at Best Buy.
>>
File: flash-html5.jpg (123 KB, 526x738) Image search: [Google]
flash-html5.jpg
123 KB, 526x738
>>51482688
>Flash
http://occupyflash.org/
>>
>No Origin or Origin-like open source software that WORKS (not the EA Origin, since a lot of people mistake those two)
>No AutoCAD/SolidWorks (LibreCAD and FreeCAD are all shit)
>Problems with software under Wine (for example, GSAS with EXPGUI still refuse to work properly under my machine at work)
>DX10+ games (like if SteamOS is actually solution, plus Wine covers only DX9 so far)
>No windows transparency and blur under muh Mint

I cant recall more right now.
>>
>>51486593
Refuted: http://www.cvedetails.com/vendor/26/Microsoft.html
>>
File: 1407286328914.jpg (22 KB, 400x309) Image search: [Google]
1407286328914.jpg
22 KB, 400x309
>>51483293
>VS just went open source
>you nigger

Get your facts right before insulting. End your life
>>
>>51487011
>Flash
>Bloated piece of shit that should have been fixed/decommisioned years ago
>So many sites still use it, so you can't even fucking ignore it

For what purpose?
>>
>>51482918
So all of under-35 Europe and Asia then?
>>
>>51487052
Because people hang on to legacy, even in light of all the security risks it brings along. Some businesses actually made Flash part of their core infrastructure, like video streaming or cartoon fetish games.
>>
>>51487052
I’ve deactivated flash a year ago and never looked back, everything just works.
>>
SteamOS is shit.
You will literally get 30fps worse than Windblows.
>>
The actual worthwhile reason is that if something goes wrong, you're fucked.

Everyone on /g/ lies and says that [distro] has no problems. I installed mint and it couldn't even connect to wired internet and the WiFi worked at a random 20 % of the time. I then installed Ubuntu (I originally switched to mint because it wouldn't connect to WiFi and couldn't install random shit for random reasons). It worked perfectly, then shit itself and seemed to become unusable, then a day later it started to work perfectly and its been perfect since then.

If you want to learn programming then Linux makes installing and using various things extremely easy. It's obvious to me and I'm a noob, so I expect to figure out more big benefits. But as someone who wants to Just Werk, I'd be crazy not to have Windows 10 ready to use at the first sign of Linux breaking down.

Also I'm fairly sure that reinstalling your distro is more efficient timewise than trying to troubleshoot most problems.
>>
>>51482452
muh games
>>
>>51487080
>>51487081
I never use it on my private PC's, but my users HAVE to use it at work, despite us telling management that it's an open invitation for day-one attacks.
>>
>>51482452
feelsnotgoodman
>>
>>51485136
yea, you must compile it from the source.
>>
File: terminal.png (4 KB, 213x70) Image search: [Google]
terminal.png
4 KB, 213x70
Obligatory use of terminal. I hate it.
>>
>>51487158
You should make a case with your department to present to you management why it's too big a risk. They love statistics, numbers, graphs, pie charts and all that stuff. This may help you http://www.cvedetails.com/product/6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html?vendor_id=53
>>
>>51487203
We already tried. I'm by no means a great speaker, so my sysadmin presented the case (he's originally educated as an accountant), but to no avail.
>>
File: why linux sucks.png (38 KB, 450x625) Image search: [Google]
why linux sucks.png
38 KB, 450x625
Because linux is totally shit.
>>
>>51482452
muh gaymes
muh photoshops
I run Linux on both my laptop and server though, Windows is reserved for my desktop that I actually use for those things.
>>
>>51487217
Some people, damn shame.
>>
Linux is good for servers, Windows for everything else. Simplesenpei.
>>
>>51487219
"why windows sucks" and "why os x sucks" lists would be at least as long as this, if not longer.
>>
File: Bulger_cctv.jpg (5 KB, 150x180) Image search: [Google]
Bulger_cctv.jpg
5 KB, 150x180
>>51482452
im too retarded to make my arch install feel as comfy as windows 7 with classic theme
>>
>>51487252
Yup. At least we have everything documented, so if shit hits the fan, our asses are covered.
>>
>>51487286
Exactly. Makes the OS X vs Windows vs Linux shitflinging completely pointless.
>>
>>51487289
I think LXDE desktop environment is the closest to that.
>>
>>51487286
Basically this. Everything sucks so no matter what you're using it sucks and so do you. You cannot win, only lose.
>>
>>51487291
Good thinking! Getting real tired of all the blame games.
>>
Why would I install Linux to run the same proprietary software via wine with massive performance / usability hits
>>
>>51487334
We have to, man.
If somebody complain about a slow PC, and I ask him to hand it over, then I'll look into it, I'll never see or hear a peep from him, until my manager call me into the office, because the fucknugget has stabbed me in the back and complained about me not doing my job.
So now my standard answer is just "Send me an email, or else I've forgotten all about it later". At least they can't lie their way out of hard evidence.
>>
File: 9238454859608 .png (698 KB, 743x502) Image search: [Google]
9238454859608 .png
698 KB, 743x502
>>51482452
Desktop environment inconsistencies dependency issues autistic community very few games virtually no production software bad support for cutting edge hardware fuckugly icon themes shitty font rendering

and the biggest reason of them all:
>>51482483
>I don't really feel like it
The key reason for not using linux is there's no fucking reason to use linux unless you're some retarded 13 year old chink-pad che-guevara

just look at pic related

this is the world of AN AVERAGE linux user

think about that for a second
>>
>>51484134
this
>>
>>51482452

I have a job, and need to use professional-tier programs, not homebrew.
>>
>>51487219
>terminal is not user-friendly !
>muh iOS !

I promote openness in the Linux communities but you should stop whiming it's not good enough for you.

tl;dr : so what is your contribution ?
>>
One word
>Usability
>>
>>51482974

Their silence says it all anon.
>>
File: xGt05wB.png (181 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
xGt05wB.png
181 KB, 600x600
>>51487386
>>
File: 1421224379001.jpg (48 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
1421224379001.jpg
48 KB, 460x276
>>51487219
>Suspectible to kernel exploits, security vulnerabilities, viruses, trojans, malware and hard-drive fragmentation
>>
>>51487407

Answer it with facts instead of memes.
>>
>>51487367
Not for an average Linux user, but reading docs takes time indeed and some don't manage their time well.

I know some Diaspora*-tiers Linux users and their desktop is pretty clean.
>>
>>51482974
as someone who's used windows, OSX and loonix each for at least several years i would say the one big reason that makes linux a good choice is if you like tinkering.

the kind of person that would enjoy building their own gaming rig or their own motorcycle would be the kind of person that might enjoy linux and the ricing limbo and console tomfoolery that comes with it. i personally enjoyed that quite a lot, for a while at least. i main hackintosh now. because truly it just werks
>>
>>51487464
That really depends on what your needs are.
I use Kubuntu for my laptop, because it's much more lightweight than Windows, and Windows for my gaming rig.
At work we run a pure Windows set up, workstations, servers, everything.
Dat AD.
>>
>>51487509
>I use Kubuntu for my laptop, because it's much more lightweight than Windows
doubt it, but ok
>Dat AD.
Anno Domini?
>>
>>51487367
>dependency issues
>implying it never happens on Windows
>>
>>51487544
>doubt it, but ok
Feels a lot faster than Windows, but it could be placebo effect
>Anno Domini?
Active Directory. And don't give me any shit about the Linux version. It doesn't work half as well imo.
>>
>>51487441
Ok, so here we go.

The software that runs on my computer is open-source stuff that is maintained by people whose GnuPG keys are signed by people who confirm their identity. This way there is a real "web of trust" related to installed packages.

You don't feel it's important ? There are arguments on the Internet to know if Windows 10 has a keylogger. It wouldn't have happened if it were even open-source.

I don't do gaming because I don't have time for that. A portion of it is indeed taken by Linux (and I love it, really), and another is taken by my studies. I understand someone prefers to do gaming though, as it may happen for professional software, but don't make it an argument about the quality of Linux itself.

About security breaches : first of all Linux is shit and Linus Torvalds is an asshole, secondly what I run is called GNU/Linux. I'm considering monthly giving to FreeBSD and BSD, so should you do instead of complaining about security. (Bonus point if you've got Flash or Java on your computer.)

So I've got a quality software base from people I trust, which is not true about Windows, both about quality and about trust.

GNU/Linux is fully customizable and you can do whatever you want with it. If Windows worked the same as GNU/Linux everyone would've just needed to $ nano /etc/cortana.conf. If you want to set a gif as wallpaper, just find the proper doc or write it yourself, as it teaches you how to solve a tech-related problem (which won't happen to Mac OS X users, besides the quality of this software).

I'm in GNU/Linux for 2 years, but according to older users it has significantly less bugs than 10 years ago.

It makes you question what Evgeny Morozov calls "tech-related propaganda", as you naturally see some code (mostly bash code). That's something a Windows or Mac OS X user can't understand.

The minus of Linux are tech-related. The pros of GNU/Linux are tech-related and cognitive.

And for free software that is easy to use, just run Haiku.
>>
>>51487598

So you use Linux primarily for its philosophy.

Fair enough if that's so important to you, but for the rest of us who don't really care about that, and more importantly, need to use our computers to "get shit done", it just doesn't make the grade.
>>
File: 957.jpg (24 KB, 176x179) Image search: [Google]
957.jpg
24 KB, 176x179
>>51482452
>Wine
>SteamOS
custom maid 3d 2 and other 3d hentais, and dont tell me you dont play them
>>
File: 1364847945730.jpg (116 KB, 509x490) Image search: [Google]
1364847945730.jpg
116 KB, 509x490
>>51483985
Not even Bethesda is pumping out 32bit exes anymore get your facts straight negro
>>
>>51482452
Shitty drivers that drive up the heat and power consumption

No good, high quality software

I don't play games, but knowing that they perform worse by a higher energy consumption turns me off

Not easy and comfortable to use, I literally have to type everything like a monkey into the terminal

No stop it OP
>>
Just yesterday I had to search an hour how to change the DNS in Linux Mint. Using the network settings did nothing till I found out that I had to edit some cryptic config file. Why does everything have to be such a fight with Linux?
>>
>>51487646
You don't get it.

I use GNU/Linux for what it teaches me and because it gets shit done far more efficiently (and in a far more sane way) than Windows.

If I need to install adb (android debug bridge) I just search "Android" in the Archlinux Wiki.

If I need to record something I just search "video capture" in the Arch User Repositories.

Etc.
>>
>>51487598
> The software that runs on my computer is open-source stuff that is maintained by
Don't care
> There are arguments on the Internet to know if Windows 10 has a keylogger
Microsoft isn't going to steal your passwords, the legal shitstorm would fucking end them
> what I run is called GNU/Linux
No it isn't, faggot, if you want to name it after everyone who put work in, you should name it after Mozilla or Google. Your web browser does far more than that GNU CLI bullshit ever does
> GNU/Linux is fully customizable and you can do whatever you want with it
Sure, if you by that you mean "spend 5 hours reading a man page then find you need to change the source to get something to work"
> If you want to set a gif as wallpaper
Again proving Liniux has absolutely no use to anyone but ricers, use a better example of the unlimited brilliance of Linux next time
> That's something a Windows or Mac OS X user can't understand.
Probably because they don't need it. Do you know COBOL and ADA too?
> The pros of GNU/Linux are tech-related and cognitive.
So TL;DR "Linux is useless but it makes you feel better about yourself, like you're actually smart or something"

gj, i'll stick to Windows 10
>>
>>51483380
maya works natively on GNU/Linux. no reason to use wine. https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Operating-system-compatibility-for-Autodesk-Maya.html
>>
File: 1439887356386 (1).gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1439887356386 (1).gif
2 MB, 250x250
Why the fuck would I devote time to installing an OS that doesn't support the software I use and is completely unfamiliar to me?
>>
Mac OS* is a better desktop.
Windows is better desktop and enterprise.
FreeBSD and friends are better at serving.
Custom OS are much better in tiny embedded.

linux (usually +gnu) is a total currynigger OS.
>>
File: 1443918654864.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1443918654864.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>51487832
>linux
>currynigger OS
>>
>>51487768

Cute, but wake me up when it has Photoshop, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Sony Vegas, Final Cut, Avid, Premiere, iTunes, MS Office, Pro Tools etc. etc.

You know, shit people use for their jobs, not just desktop ricing and shitposting on /g/
>>
>>51487854
Employed people work when they are at work, not in their spare time on their PCs at home. Why would the OS I use at work (not even Windows btw) influence what I use at home?
>>
File: jej.jpg (33 KB, 314x288) Image search: [Google]
jej.jpg
33 KB, 314x288
>>51482452
If you're not using it to web dev, programing, typesetting, watching vídeos, rendering stuff, doing openGL/Cuda calculations, Retro gaming, General Server Jobs, Virtualization, High availability operations, clustering, Sensor/Cameras/Hardware remote control of devices and or not limited to Network control you should not be using Linux.

If you want to protect your network you use PFsence (FreeBSD based) for router operations.

If you want to do CAD or anything that is preparing files for vídeo rendering and assorted tasks you use Botnet Windows.

If you want to do absolutly fucking nothing but spend Money and go online you use HomoSex OS.
>>
>>51487887
painting in photoshop is my hobby
>>
>>51487928
I do bouldering, play in a band, shit-post on /g/ and enjoy meeting new people :^)
>>
Enjoy linkeks where protected flash will not play chrome is broken and 3 hours of workarounds gets you nothing
>>
File: 149.gif (46 KB, 360x358) Image search: [Google]
149.gif
46 KB, 360x358
>>51487949
lol no, you dont
>>
>>51483498
>shitty mascot

This is actually legit. Make something that isn't a fucking joke.
>>
>>51487959
>149.gif
Nice picture, did you create that with your professional painting software on Windows?
>>
File: 1593.jpg (247 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
1593.jpg
247 KB, 1224x1445
>>51487975
you are acting like a typical freetard
>>
>>51482452
>recommending shit and immature options
That is not a solution. Currently the best implementation for gaymes on Linux is a passthrough Windows VM. Everything else is unusable so it's not really an alternative or substitute.

Also, people have to use corporat shit all the time that is not developed under GNU/Linux. VMWare and Microsoft products are often the only way to get a project done if you're more than a codemonkey.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a freetard and specialsnowflake GNU/Linux user but I still can not get around using GNU/Linux fultime in the "real world"
>>
>>51487854
>iTunes
Vomiting_anime_girl.jpg
>>
>>51487854
>implying there is any good job by /g/ standards that uses those meem "artist" packages and paper pusher office software
>>
File: 1448071008997.gif (507 KB, 318x212) Image search: [Google]
1448071008997.gif
507 KB, 318x212
The touchpad drivers on my notebook were utter shit, they didn't even worked half the time and 2 finger scroll was a mess, the notebook ran like shit, freezes and lag everywhere, then i tried Windows 10, even worse experience.
Now i use Ubuntu 14.04 because it just werks, the wifi and bluethooth are solid, the touchpad runs smoothly, dad font rendering, and it's a lot faster than Windows.
I have my Windows only software in a VM, and thanks to snapshot i don't have to worry about malware or things breaking on Windows.
I'ts really the best of both worlds, and if i need muh gaems i have my desktop pc and i can use Steam to stream into my notebook.
>>
>>51483950
Did you really have to completely change your operating system just to avoid having to learn how to use the Internet safely?
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1688x2535) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1688x2535
>>51482452
>>51482688
>>51482974
>>51483278
>>51483287
>>51483307
>>51484134
>>51485084
>>51485305
>>51485313
>>51485383
>>51485482
>>51485712
>>51486432
>>51486530
>>51486664
>>51487140
>>51487219
>>51487226
>>51487255
>>51487351
>>51487381
>>51487458
>>51487598
>>51487646
>>51487727
>>51488071
I’d just like to interject for moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!
>>
Windows 7 works perfectly well, so I have no reason to switch.
>>
File: nichijou is shit.gif (955 KB, 450x242) Image search: [Google]
nichijou is shit.gif
955 KB, 450x242
>>51487854
>iTunes
>>
File: my_happy_choice.jpg (3 MB, 2396x3484) Image search: [Google]
my_happy_choice.jpg
3 MB, 2396x3484
>>51482452
>Give me ONE reason
FreeBSD.
>>
>>51482452
I don't want to have to deal with ugly font rendering and having to use the command line on a daily basis.

I want my computer to just work.
>>
>>51490187
>that horrible feeling when you have a proprietary wifi chip
realtek is so shitty
>>
Because a mac is good enough for a Unix-rip-off environment and it's an acutal polished OS instead of a clusterfuck designed for people with autism.
>>
File: fontrendering.png (43 KB, 1000x339) Image search: [Google]
fontrendering.png
43 KB, 1000x339
>>51490424
>ugly font rendering
That's a meme

>command line on a daily basis.
How about you install a desktop environment and you don't have to use the command line anymore? Hint: Ubuntu has one pre-installed.
>>
>>51483293
Literally retarded.
>>
>>51490537
>Ubuntu has one pre-installed.
What do you think I'm using right now?
>>
>>51490572
And what do you have to do in command line mode that you can't do in GUI?
>>
>>51490592
I had to install Steam via the command line yesterday.

I can't even edit certain files without having to do sudo nano kung fu in the command line .
>>
I do, on everything but my desktop.
>>
>>51482452
no adobe software support.

Before you,"muh proprietary" me, it's a requirement of my job as an illustrator and graphic designer. I actually use my computer to make money, not to masturbate to software. Free alternatives to adobe stuff are all pretty shitty, unfortunately. The way the creative suite interacts well with itself is currently not replaceable. If another company comes along and creates a better alternative that covers everything like Photoshop, illustrator, InDesign, acrobat pro, and aftereffects does, I'll use it. Until then, I'll keep using "muh proprietary" software.
>>
>>51487727
Because you have absolute control in Linux. If they put everything you could change into a menu than everyone would complain the menus are massive and bloated.

Put common configuration changes into the menus, for everything else the user can edit the config.
>>
FreeBSD is faster.
it's too mainstream.
It doesn't have a cool logo.
>>
>>51487854
this
>>
File: 1447285892554.jpg (79 KB, 550x450) Image search: [Google]
1447285892554.jpg
79 KB, 550x450
Truth be told I could give less of a shit if Linux was "superior" or not (It's not) because Windows is what I'm comfortable with and the environment I'm most productive in.

Having to spend so much time to re-learn how to ride a bike is for someone whose time is worthless.
>>
>>51490699
Then why don't you?
>>
>>51487854
>shit people use for their jobs
If you have a shit job

Also
>iTunes
>for job
wut
>>
>>51490699
>Having to spend so much time to re-learn how to ride a bike is for someone whose time is worthless.
That's a bad analogy.
A better analogy would be if you learned how to ride a bike and then learned how to ride a spaceship.
>>
>>51490622
There are distros that ship with Steam client pre-installed but I guess Ubuntu wasn't one of them. I still think it's possible to install it without command line. Most guides just tell you to open the terminal since it's faster and should give everyone the same outcome.

There are files that you're not supposed to edit on daily basis and they require root privileges. If you create a file it shouldn't require anything.

You also don't have to use nano, you could use something like Gedit for example. You just give it some elevated rights in the terminal by writing "sudo gedit" and the GUI program pops up.
>>
File: 1446951978316.jpg (193 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1446951978316.jpg
193 KB, 1024x1024
>>51490751
No, not really, maybe if you were going to learn server administration with it but that's unlikely when you're formatting C:\ and putting Ubuntu onto your consumer laptop.

Also implies Linux can do more than Windows, which is just wrong.

>But muh terminal

Powershell takes a huge shit on Bash. Plus Cygwin.
>>
>>51490810
s/sudo gedit/gksudo gedit/
>>
>>51490699
Nice blog grandpa, now how do you justify teaching the next generation some inferior system just because that's what people used to use?
>>
>>51490824
>Also implies Linux can do more than Windows, which is just wrong.
Both OSes have features the other doesn't, but Linux has probably much more.
Some examples are FUSE and inotify.
>>
Every fucking time I use it, I'm guaranteed to need to go into the terminal to fix something. If not, something will just decide to break. Plus it makes my nice computer feel cheap and worthless. Like I'm driving a modern sports car.
>>
most people are too retarded
>>
>>51490824
>Powershell takes a huge shit on Bash.
Perhaps, but IPython is even better.
>Plus Cygwin.
Cygwin what?
>avatarfaging with moeshit
Why am I not surprised?
>>
File: 1443576904275.png (53 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1443576904275.png
53 KB, 625x626
>>51490878
>>
It's all about application support.
Windows holds a fuck ton of market share and it makes most every program run on Windows.

I play games but would love to switch to Linux, but the support just isn't there. I can't randomly download a program and double-click on it. That's the real problem.
>>
File: 1447457534942.jpg (99 KB, 640x800) Image search: [Google]
1447457534942.jpg
99 KB, 640x800
>>51490853
>Why do you guys still use wheels?! They are old shit from 10,000 years ago!

>>51490897
>IPython
>Written in nigger languages

No thanks. But that's available for Windows too.
>>
>>51490947
>Why do you guys still use wheels?! They are old shit from 10,000 years ago!
Since we are talking about staying in inferior systems I'm assuming that these wheels are on a flying car. Yeah, why do you hold on to them when there's no real reason to do that?
>>
>>51487967
KEK
>>
>>51490923
>I can't randomly download a program and double-click on it
and you wont ever be able to because repositories are much easier. why should people regress just to please retards
>>
>>51490878
Too retarded to not break system, obviously systems fault.

Maybe if you just installed Debian and didn't fuck with it you'd have no issue
>>
>>51490947
Are you 12?
>Written in nigger languages
What?
>But that's available for Windows too.
OK, but what's the point?
>>
File: 1445368482042.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1445368482042.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
>>51490993
Name one reason why Desktop Linux would be like a "flying car" in comparison to Desktop Windows.
>>
>>51490999
Checking the trips of truth
>>
>>51491018
Faster, safer, botnet free, adaptable, modifiable, uses package managers, updates the whole system and all of its programs from one place. It's also not tied down to one profit making company who could drop it after it stops making money, since it's open source and developed around the globe. It's pretty much only a standard, not a product.

Windows has no qualities that make it a better operating system, it only has more third party programs since it's popular. That's the only reason. If hardware manufacturers and software developers would optimize their shit to Linux instead it would give better results. Windows is popular because it's already popular. It's also pre-installed in almost every computer so you need to go out of your way to make the switch. That's not something that people bother to do. This might change after more people start using Linux and it gains popularity.
>>
>>51482452
DOES NOT SUPPORT ADOBE'S FUCKING SUITE

adobe is the shit, there isn't any other fucking company that can match their software.

fucklinux.psd

>haha fuckers
>linux can't open psds niggas
>>
File: 1433027994234.png (729 KB, 787x830) Image search: [Google]
1433027994234.png
729 KB, 787x830
>>51491192
>Faster
Faster in the same way Windows 98 is faster than Windows 7. And because Linux drivers are so shit, it's actually still much slower in some respects.
>Safer
Only because you're restricted to your distro's closed environment of package repositories instead of being allowed to install whatever you like.
>Implying you care about botnets
>Implying windows doesn't have a shit ton of customization tools available (which are all much easier than Linux's method of manually editing configs)

Also, Microsoft pledges all of their release cycles, they don't just randomly "drop" something if it doesn't make money. Like how the Zune software was actively developed, supported and updated until like two weeks ago. Nothing like what you would see on Linux.
>>
>>51491241
Which drivers exactly are, as you referred to them, "shit"?

Could you also please stop using avatars? It's against global >>>/rules/
>>
File: images.jpg (8 KB, 181x278) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8 KB, 181x278
Only queers use Linux
>>
>>51491241
You aren't locked to package managers. You can use them but you can also install from source/install a downloaded binary/execute a downloaded binary. The difference is that pretty much anything worth using is in the package manager which is safer than downloading exes from multiple sources
>>
>>51491350
I see what you're saying and after careful examination of my viewpoint under the scrutiny of your critique I've decided Linux isn't a good platform. Thanks for enlightening me
>>
File: CTyM4a7UEAExpDP.jpg_large_0.jpg (283 KB, 1024x760) Image search: [Google]
CTyM4a7UEAExpDP.jpg_large_0.jpg
283 KB, 1024x760
>>51483195
For what? Just pushing around eh? Pic of the state
>>
>>51491410
No problem m8. I kek'd hard after reading that.
>>
>>51482452
because every week mr. freedom came to your system and rape your xorg
>>
>>51491241
>And because Linux drivers are so shit, it's actually still much slower in some respects.
Only in gaming where you need the most from your graphics card and it needs to be optimized.
Linux is faster by architecture. Make Nvidia optimize their drivers better.

Repositories and package management are infinitely better than having to google each site and finding a download link. Also having a central update system which updates anything that has anything new means that those programs which you rarely use don't allow backdoors into your computer since they are so old.

>Implying windows doesn't have a shit ton of customization tools available (which are all much easier than Linux's method of manually editing configs)
They are not even close to being easier since you can customize things without editing configs.

>Zune software was actively developed, supported and updated until like two weeks ago. Nothing like what you would see on Linux.
So they dropped the support. Did they release everything in open source code so others can continue development or is it now permanently gone because of one company decided so?
>>
>>51487854
I'm sorry, I had an exam.

I couldn't say it better than the answers you've got.
>>
I don't have autism
>>
Drivers and updates that can potentially break a perfectly running install.

I use it daily on my old work laptop with a 1.8 dual core but it only has to function for web browsing as all my work-related stuff is web based.
>>
File: 1431423586322.jpg (14 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1431423586322.jpg
14 KB, 251x242
>>51486593
>Windows 10 is objectively better than OSX/Linux/BSD in every aspect.
>every aspect.
>>
>>51482688
just use widnows on vm, and if you have 2 video cards, just sign the better on vm, and you can play as good as windows - 25%
>>
>>51486593
The biggest software ecosystem in the world has no man page.

>downloading aircrack-ng
>finding the file in muh Explorer
>opening it
>searching the README.txt
>INSTALL.txt
>please search through Bing™ and install the 13 following dependencies

>checkmate faggot
>>
>>51482452
Active Directory
>>
>>51489642
You must be fun at parties.
>>
I prefer OpenBSD and OS X
>>
File: 1429034967734.jpg (58 KB, 669x425) Image search: [Google]
1429034967734.jpg
58 KB, 669x425
>>51482452
>being too poor for Windows

>not playing Games all day every day

GTFO FAGGOT
>>
>>51482452
Games run like shit in linux.
>>
>>51483182
Your work is shit.
>>
if you need to do anything other than program, this shit suck as hell
>>
>>51487887

>what is freelance
>what is byod

Not everyone works in McDonald's anon
>>
>>51492566
Wrong board, faggot, >>>/v/
>>
>>51490630

This, as much as Freetards want to pretend that they work in a design studio and everyone applauds them for using GIMP, I also work in design and we'd laugh anyone out of the room who turned up using Linux and GIMP. Actually we'd laugh at anyone who didn't use a Mac, but we're all cunts.
>>
File: 1390353437118.png (284 KB, 585x400) Image search: [Google]
1390353437118.png
284 KB, 585x400
>playing video games
>>
>>51482974
>>51491018
because it's fun tbհ
op is a faggot btw
>>
File: smash that like button.jpg (56 KB, 720x438) Image search: [Google]
smash that like button.jpg
56 KB, 720x438
>>51492944
>we'd laugh at anyone who didn't use a Mac
>>
>>51492998

Fairly standard twattery in a design studio, desu
>>
>>51487807
Oh, I had missed this one.

>Don't care

Congrats.

>Microsoft isn't going to steal your passwords, the legal shitstorm would fucking end them

So you solved a major argument on the Internet. Any opinion about string theory ?

>No it isn't, faggot, if you want to name it after everyone who put work in, you should name it after Mozilla or Google. Your web browser does far more than that GNU CLI bullshit ever does

Are you talking about IRC, XMPP, mails, FTP or Twitter ?

I do most of my work in the browser because everything has a web interface, but for the sake of God how comes this would be an argument ?

>Sure, if you by that you mean "spend 5 hours reading a man page then find you need to change the source to get something to work"

The man tar has 815 lines, which equals to 20 pages of a book which details every situation the software is intended for.
The answer is almost always in the synopsis. If it isn't there just check the wiki.

>Again proving Liniux has absolutely no use to anyone but ricers, use a better example of the unlimited brilliance of Linux next time

My example would have easily been understood by a masturbating monkey, so I guess you did : you can do whatever you want with Linux.
It may be used for ricing and that's how I used it first but it was to show there is no customization limit.

I must say people like you, who elevate some high intellectual standards they don't understand, nor do they care about, as an argument are the worst.

>Probably because they don't need it. Do you know COBOL and ADA too?

I don't know what it is but I keep that in mind.

>So TL;DR "Linux is useless but it makes you feel better about yourself, like you're actually smart or something"

Tech-related e.g. I update every single line of code with one command prompt.

Cognitive e.g. it changes the way you see technology.

>gj, i'll stick to Windows 10

Don't care.
>>
>>51487807
I just succeded to a huge exam so I spend this evening on the Internet, but if you desperately bait people on a daily basis this is ill. You should see a therapist.
>>
>>51492944
>as much as Freetards want to pretend that they work in a design studio and everyone applauds them for using GIMP, I also work in design
Nobody has said that at any point. All the pretentious hipster aura comes from your end. If you can't learn another product besides Adobe you're not really a professional, you're just doing what you were shown before and work with muscle memory, without understanding what it means. This shows pretty clearly if you think Macs are the only computers that you can work with. It's what you were taught to think.

It's very much possible that Linux becomes the standard in every computer. Maybe Adobe won't be the king forever either. Stop being so close-minded retard and maybe you have a job even after ten years.
>>
>>51485305
You're doing something wrong.

Werks For Me™
Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.