[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ANDROID BTFO!!!! Police can EASILY DECRYPT Android phones!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7
>"Google can reset the passcodes when served with a search warrant and an order instructing them to assist law enforcement to extract data from the device. This process can be done by Google remotely and allows forensic examiners to view the contents of a device."
MANHATTAN DISTRICT ATTORNEY’S OFFICE

http://manhattanda.org/sites/default/files/11.18.15%20Report%20on%20Smartphone%20Encryption%20and%20Public%20Safety.pdf
>>
>>51482072
Why would a criminal store incriminating information on his phone? That does not seem very smart.
>>
They can do the same with every OS in every device.
>>
>>51482240
Why would any "criminal" use a phone? heh
>>
>>51482255
> They can do the same with every OS in every device.
Not with iPhone running ios 8 and later.
>>
>>51482072
better buy an iphone instead
>>
They're talking about the passcodes that usually protect a phone.

If you read the entire article, or hell, even the summary, you'll see that they're railing against Apple and Google using unbreakable FDE.
>>
>>51482318
Android doesn't even use FDE. Google again delayed it indefinitely... probably a pushback from governments around the world.
>>
>>51482072

you can easily decrypt iphones as well

just hold the person down and put his thumb on the scanner.. easy
>>
>>51482072
They cannot "decrypt" Android devices.

They can reset, and therefore bypass, the screen lock, but NOT full device encryption.
>>
>>51482348
LMAO... that's illegal and makes all the evidence inadmissible. Also, most criminals don't use a thumbprint scanner.
>>
File: 1447797719157.gif (2 MB, 303x277) Image search: [Google]
1447797719157.gif
2 MB, 303x277
>>51482360
>NOT full device encryption
good because 99% of Android devices don't even use FDE.
>>
>>51482389
So install a ROM that has that option available to you?

Works fine for me, but I check for shit like that before I buy a device. I have no idea why you'd buy a phone that doesn't have the option of FDE if you care about it.
>>
who cares? someone who steals your phone isnt going to be able to decrypt it. dont do illegal shit and you wont be fucking arrested
>>
>>51482426
half the shit doesn't work with FDE. not to mention that many OEMs will void your warranty if you use FDE.

It's a lose-lose proposition right now.
>>
>>51482344

Not by default. FDE has been available for a few years on Android. They haven't pushed it because of the shit storm that would happen when thousands of people lose all their data because of forgotten passwords.
>>
>>51482455
>not to mention that many OEMs will void your warranty if you use FDE.

this is a bitch ass lie

Nearly every new phone has the option to turn it on and every nexus since the nexus 5 has come with an encrypted disk and the first question it asks you is to set the key
>>
>>51482566
>install knox on a samsung phone
warranty void

nice try shilling though!
>>
>>51482315
>give us your password
>no
>bashed with wrench in kneecaps untiil you tell them it

TECHNOLOGY
>>
>willingly carrying a tracking and surveillance device
>>
>>51482372

The police are allowed to fingerprint you when you are arrested. They can also use that fingerprint to unlock some iPhones.
>>
They can't get your encryption password you have to enter in when you boot. Fuck you
>>
>>51482072
That's a remote unlock for when your phone is remotely locked.

Apple can do the exact same thing.
>>
>>51482072
I just found that paragraph as it was literally right before they started talking about Android 5.0 and how that would make that impossible.

So shut the fuck up.
>>
File: 16dc1f38.jpg (44 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
16dc1f38.jpg
44 KB, 640x360
>>51482072
And I care why?
>>
>>51483569
I don't care either. I'm not poor/indian/chink... so I don't have to use Android either.
>>
File: important bit.png (55 KB, 796x480) Image search: [Google]
important bit.png
55 KB, 796x480
>>
>>51482072
>trusting default OS manufacturer encryption like the android default or BitLocker ever.

Also smart criminals use burners, I applaud police arresting dumb thugs.
>>
File: 1447526003293.gif (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1447526003293.gif
49 KB, 300x250
>>51483206
This.
If police wants your info, it gets it even if you like it or not
>>
>>51483889
/thread
>>
>>51483186
It's clear you don't know what you're talking about, apple shill
>>
More bad news for Android...

>Android adware can install itself even when users explicitly reject it
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/android-adware-can-install-itself-even-when-users-explicitly-reject-it/
>>
>>51484234
he's right.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2447832

you're probably a jew google shill.
>>
>>51485415
>The hijacking happens after a user has installed a trojanized app that masquerades as an official app available in Google Play and then is made available in third-party markets.
Surprise surprise, the same circumstances as the last malware.

Moral of the story, don't install shit that requires permissions that are suspicious for what the application needs to do, particularly when dealing with stuff outside the Play Store.
>>
>>51482072
Brb shredding phone
No joke
>>
Go to security and disable "Android Device Manager" as system admin.

THERE, DONE

Stop spreading FUD.
>>
there are still people who are too poor to buy an iphone? this is why you're still a virgin
>>
>a-a-aANDROID BTFO!!!!1!!1

Almost any phone can be cracked. Even iPhones.
>>
>>51485626
Flashlight app
>requires WiFi viewing
>contacts list
>keep display turned on
>microphone
>view files on device
>>
>>51487343
The only real reply and nobody even read it.

Good job you guys.
>>
>>51487377
>Even iPhones.
no they can't
>>
>>51487343

If it's on by default, it means 95%+ of all Android phones have an exploitable backdoor.
>>
Every single smart phone out there running these operating systems from various companies have master keys for these devices.

Don't kid yourself, these silicon valley entities are not on your side in regards to privacy. Remember, Uncle Sam handles their tax returns, among other facets affecting their profit margins. Stop being their walking billboards.
>>
>>51484071
>thinking the police are some supernatural entity.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.