[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I teach myself to code and eventually be able to find a job
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
Can I teach myself to code and eventually be able to find a job from it, or should I not bother?

I kind of need an honest answer before I commit to this.
>>
yes 100% it is possible.

For you? probably not esp if you like anime.

(anime rots the brain)
>>
>>51478038
I did it. But it took a few years of struggle, and I'm actually getting a bachelors now so I can go and get my masters afterwards.
>>
>>51478056
>OP's image
>anime
>>
>>51478063

Going back to univesity is not an option, still possible?
>>
File: image.png (76 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
image.png
76 KB, 420x420
>>51478056
>>
>>51478056

the only acceptable /g/ animu is Ghost in The Shell
>>
>>51478038
What do you mean?
How on earth do you think the rest of us learned how to code? Of course it's possible! Why wouldn't it be?
>>
>>51478116

I just never seem to get a straight answer.

Some people me I need a degree on my CV or else it's useless, some others say that it's perfectly simple to get a coding job without having a degree.

I'm just a little lost, and want some honest answers.
>>
>>51478135
i dun get it. so it's black and white then? it only works one way or something? How do you get through life thinking like that

Maybe you can get a "coding job" by doing either of those things.
You could always check the job market and see what people are looking for. Craigslist has like 5 sections for jobs having to do with computers
>>
>>51478186

So you're basically saying I should go for it, even without a degree? It's not a waste of time?
>>
>>51478135
A degree is useful, but I have plenty of friends with a degree who can't get a coding job because, frankly, they don't know how to code. Sure, they went to college, sure they learned a few tricks and of course they did their assignments, but they don't know how to code.

Decades ago, you could show up with a college diploma and you would get a job - no questions asked... it was just assumed you know your shit. Nowadays, you'll be tested. Degree or not, you will be asked what you did, how you did it, and what can you do.

If you want to nail a coding job, you need to learn how to tinker with technology and how to think like a programmer. You can start anywhere, honestly... online tutorials, college, books, online courses, anywhere! That's the beauty of this trade in general - you can live in San Francisco, or buttfuck nowhere in Bangladesh, but you still have the same resources available to you for learning.

In order to land a mining job, you need to get acquainted with mining equipment. In order to land an EE job, you need to have a bit of money to work with electronics and measuring instruments. In order to land a job as a doctor, you have to practice medicine. But here, you're on equal terms with everybody - you can download everything you need, you can learn everything you need... and if you fuck up, you delete your shit and start again.

PS: a friend of mine is a sysadmin and works without a degree. His "secret"? Landing his first job. Landing your first job is paramount, after that, you've got experience to replace any lack of degree.
>>
>>51478312

That's a great response, I feel way more optimistic now, thanks bud :)
>>
>>51478280
i think so. I think if you're really unsure about it check craigslist in your area for computer gigs or web/info, software/qa/dba ,system networking, technical support and just see what kind of people they are looking for.

What people REALLY care about is experience, confidence and proof that you can do the work and do it well. So if you go the no degree route then i would suggest making some projects of your own on github and advertizing that on your resume or during interviews.

I dont have a job in CS/IT but i plan to and i've read alot of these sorts of threads so this is just my 2 cents
>>
>>51478067
Not an Anime, visual novel, and fan art of it
>>
>>51478312
The problem is exactly where to start. Which language should I learn, which manuals are good, etc.
>>
>>51478536
Coursera is fine.
Anyway... ANY language is fine, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise. Python, C#, PHP... it's all good, as long as you learn what is a variable, what is a function, what are loops, etc.
>>
>>51478520
>VN

Even worse.
>>
File: Both stupid.png (486 KB, 992x1398) Image search: [Google]
Both stupid.png
486 KB, 992x1398
>>51478056
>>51478067
>not having a cripple waifu
I feel nothing but contempt.
>>
>>51478072
Probably not. You'd be able to learn enough to maybe be a free-lancer if not work at a low level small company programming job.
>>
>>51479268
>posting katawa memejew in 20 fucking 15
>>
>>51479353
your whole fucking post is a meme
step away from the computer and go outside desu senpai
>>
File: 14371868233432.jpg (878 KB, 2165x2095) Image search: [Google]
14371868233432.jpg
878 KB, 2165x2095
>>51479361
>says the faggot who plays visual novels
Holy kek, you can't be serious
>>
>>51479399
>plays
kek
>>
>>51479268
>>51479353
>>51479361
>>51479399
>>51479428
you guys realize you're losers right
>>
>>51479445
yes
>>
>>51479445
I never said I wasn't desu
>>
>Honest answer
Do what the fuck you want.
If you don't, you'll likely regret it more than working towards something you really want.

Find some people doing stuff you might want to do and see if your motivation and interest still stays.
>>
>>51480537
That being said you probably need a degree and you'll probably be a replaceable element inside a vast machine of stress working for the man...

You can teach yourself, sure, but I'm not sure you can get a job without a degree.
And again, you're replaceable.

That's what I've heard any way.
That being said, I doubt I could get a either way, what with me being nearly on the verge of giving up on school and the only thing I've really bothered programming is some dumb script for an incredibly simplistic turn-based RPG fight thing in python that doesn't even actually utilize any sort of strategy nor is it conceivably useful even for entertainment value...
>>
>>51478536
>Where to start

You know those "learn programming in 24 hours" books? Yeah fuck those, don't use them. Instead get a introductory programming textbook because textbooks come with problems and THE BEST way to improve as a programmer is to do lots and lots of problems. Just reading about how to code isn't enough, any employer is going to want you to have experience with problem solving and debugging your own code/projects. So get out there and start burning the midnight oil and, most importantly, don't shy away from the hard problems but treat them as a challenge, there's plenty of online resources to help you if you get stuck anyway.

Good luck
>>
File: chinese_girl_giving_thumbs_up.jpg (55 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
chinese_girl_giving_thumbs_up.jpg
55 KB, 680x383
>>51478056

It's just anime, old man
>>
>>51478072
They're might be some kind of technical school that could get you some where.
>>
>>51478091
>Ghost in the Shell
I mean its not 'bad' I guess, but how do people even watch that and feel like they can grasp the story enough to even pass judgement on it?

That show is too.. wordy for me.
I mean they word I know for the most part, but goddamn they say a lot of them.

Also, stop baiting. You're on 4chan.
4chan.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.