[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
video monitor thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: r9390.jpg (22 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
r9390.jpg
22 KB, 350x350
sup /g/, over the last few days I've been putting together a build for my new PC, but I don't know what monitor I want yet. Can you help me?

I have an r9390, is AMD freesync actually worth it? Also, can anyone reccomend me some decent 27" monitors, ideally in the 120hz+ range?
>>
I've been having the dilemma of choosing a monitor recently and I come to the conclusion that fuck 144hz.

With games having shitty optimization and even fps lock, whats the point?

So I'm aiming towards a large ips 4K screen.

You can always buy a cheap tn 144hz screen on the side.

Also freesync usually means you have to turn some other feature off and it's also >AMD.
>>
>>51471092
Yeah, feel the same. We're in a shitty transition period where the hardware to drive 1440p or especially 4k much past 60fps is ridiculously expensive. Give it a couple years and it will catch up.
>>
>>51471233
Just curious what you think expensive is?

Just built my friend a PC, and now I'm working on mine. I'm so overwhelmed.

I can't decide if I should target 1080p or 1440p which my budget ($1,400)
>>
>>51471267
s/which/with
>>
>>51471267
go with 1440p if you can
>>
>>51471092
This I cap my games at 60 anyway and I'm not a professional fps player, gaming is just an expensive casual hobby to me
>>
I'll either use PG278Q or MG279Q depending on if I buy Fury X or 980TI.

What are the pros and cons of FreeSync vs. G-Sync?
>>
>>51470675
>Also, can anyone reccomend me some decent 27" monitors, ideally in the 120hz+ range?
>>
Best choice for you is the Asus MG279Q, just keep in mind Freesync only works at 35hz to 90hz despite it being a 144hz monitor, however that's not the end of the world because the 390 is great at 1440p but probably won't be pushing anywhere near 90fps in demanding games. Freesync is really more to smooth out lower FPS anyway. If that's no good for you, there are TN panels that are nearly the same other than being TN instead of IPS and they cost less.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you so I'm looking at a lot of options, both Gsync and Freesync. Lately I've been looking at some ultrawide monitors too, since there's a freesync one that's 75hz (shitty compared to 144hz, but depending on my GPU will I even reach 75fps in a lot of demanding games anyway?) and I prefer having a big beautiful screen over super-high refresh rates. It's hard deciding, especially since there's going to be a big shake-up in GPU's next year and we keep getting all these new expensive monitors with a lot of pros and a lot of cons attached to them.
>>
>>51470675
Putting robot images and stupid shit on the card boxes makes me doubt about the card quality.
>>
>>51471307
>Matte coating on everything
fugg. i'd want non-matte for better colors.

>>51471311
are there any freesync monitors where the freesync works at maximum hzs of a 144hz screen
>>
>>51471311
What's the big GPU shakeup coming next year.

nVidia just releases rebranded shit and AMD too.
>>
>>51471353
The TN panels listed here >>51471307 (there's a BenQ and an Acer one) both go up to 144hz and they're cheaper....but they're TN. Granted they're not shitty cheap old TN panels like what most people are using now, but they're TN.

>>51471375
HBM2 and all that. Probably nothing but hype considering how Nvidia tends to treat consumers (and AMD too, to an extent) but at least they're not just rebrands again.
>>
>>51471353
All the other FreeSync screens, unless I am mistaken.

>i'd want non-matte for better colors
It is anti-glare coating, not the heavy stuff.
>>
>>51471092
This.

My friend has some 27" 144hz mnoitor and while it looks pretty cool when gaming, mine looks better for just about anything else.

Both 1440p, his is TN, mine IPS.
>>
>>51471289
They're pretty much exactly the same, technology wise.
With freesync you have to pay attention more to the monitor since AMD just lets any old jobber make freesync capable monitors, but they're also $200 cheaper. For the privilege of being a valued nvidia customer you get to pay $200 extra for a g-sync version of the monitor over the normal one.
Freesync is cheaper but exactly the same.
>>
>>51471444
You can now get both 144Hz and IPS.

Of course, it will cost a lot.
>>
>>51471417
I would have to go and see how the colors are in the TN panel. I really want good colors, so looking to get ISP.

Doesn't Fury X already use HMB?

>>51471424
Oh, didn't know that. It just reads matte so I assumed it is the one that looks like it has muted contrasts. THey look weird.

>>51471471
Yeah figured as much.

Does anyone know why the MG279Q has limited freesync? Not that Fury X could even get any modern game FPS to 144 but still its weird no?
>>
File: yes ok.png (17 KB, 612x567) Image search: [Google]
yes ok.png
17 KB, 612x567
>>51471506
Yo Falcon. Philips 272G5DYEB or Acer Predator XB270HA?
>>
Is the color difference of IPS and TN panels really big, noticeable, distracting or is the color difference of the panels just that - a difference and not necessarily a minus side?
>>
>>51471596
Is the Asus MG279Q not the same price, but IPS?
>>
>>51471837
It's 150€ more in my country. I would also like to use G-Sync.
>>
>>51471521
>Does anyone know why the MG279Q has limited freesync?
It was one of the earliest (if not the first ever) FreeSync screen. They did not get everything right the first time.

That said, the majority of reviewers note that FreeSync/Gsync has the most noticeable effect in the 30-60Hz range. If you are above 90Hz, your gaming is going to be very smooth anyway. As smooth as having it with FreeSync/Gsync all the way up to 144Hz? No. But "extremely smooth" and "the ultimate in smoothness" are not too far apart.
>>
>>51471869
They both have the same main characteristics: 144Hz, 27", 1080p, Gsync. Personally, I am against 1080p at 27", and both units seem to be similarly reviewed, so... pick the cheaper unit, or the one that has the better warranty? If both are the same in that, then go with whichever you think looks best.
>>
>>51471961
Thank you very much.
>>
>>51471892
I'd worry less about the Freesync range and more about the absolute shit QA all these "gaming" monitors have. It's been over a year since some of them came out and they're still riddled with dead pixels and the IPS ones suffer from a lot of backlight bleed too. Granted, people who get a bad one will bitch about it but it's still pretty unacceptable.
>>
>>51471092
As someone who just bought a 144hz 1440p freesync monitor I have to disagree. My poor little 290 can play most games at 1440p. I can do BF4 and Hardline Ultra with no AA and get 60 ~ 100 fps. Battlefront I need to set the settings on High to have playable FPS. Of course the only reason this is playable is because of free-sync.

My issue is that I want to upgrade to a new GPU. The only thing worth upgrading to is the Fury x or the 980 Ti Hybrid. Of course since I already have the Freesync monitor I should go for the Fury X. The issue is that the 980 Ti at stock beats the Fury X in almost every game plus the fact that the Fury X can barely get to 1150 the 980 Ti can hit 1400+. I am still in the window of returning my monitor and since the ROG Swift is only $550 that would be $1250 for the upgrade all together over the $1150 for the Fury x and monitor. I think $100 is worth the difference in up to 20 fps in most game especially for having a 144hz monitor.
>>
>>51471289
The main difference between G Sync and Free sync currently is that G Sync can run on Full-Screen Windowed mode. Which for me is important cause Blade and Soul doesn't really have a real Fullscreen and Black Desert caps fps on Fullscreen but is unlimited on Windowed modes.
>>
>>51472247
Winter is coming along, why not buy a second r9 290? Of course, if you don't have the PSU for it or don't want to be in a hot box, it isn't worth it.
>>
>>51472365
I thought about that as well. Trust me I have thought out plenty of options.

>1
Most of the games I play or will be playing don't really support crossfire or have issues with crossfire (blade and soul).
>2
My motherboard is shit. P8P67 LE 16x and 4x can't even overclock my 2500k properly. Would have to buy a used or find a new one. If I am going to upgrade the motherboard I want to upgrade the CPU as well.
>3
Only have a 750w PSU but since my 290 isn't even overclocked it only goes up to maybe 230watts anyways. Plus that bitch gets up to 84c anyways. Adding another one would probably be awful.
>>
Anyone have any feedback on large, 28/32" 4K ips screen input lag?

I'm comparing one of those to Asus 1ms 144hz tn panel screens.
Tomshardware shows 20~ absolute input lag for the asus and for various 4k ips screens its 60-70ish.

I do a lot of gaming, but I'm currently on a 8ms dell screen, not sure if its btb or gtg. But I don't want to take a step backwards in the response time anyway.
>>
>>51472123
What is *QA*
>>
>>51472807
Basically it means quality control. A lot of gaming monitors tend to have a lot of issues. For the IPS panels you have backlight bleeding, IPS glow and dead pixels. For TN you still have backlight bleeding and dead pixels. For me I am on my second BenQ 1440p 144hz Freesync monitor. 1st one had bleeding along the entire bottom and up the right side. Second monitor had a lot of ghosting and had an orange tint that I couldn't get rid of AND the black levels were a lot worse than on the 1st. It is kind of tedious process to get a decent monitor. But I am not spending $500 on a monitor to accept a defect.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.