[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Questions Thread - /sqt/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56
File: giphy-facebook_s.gif (93 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
giphy-facebook_s.gif
93 KB, 480x270
>>
File: ayayay.jpg (223 KB, 682x732) Image search: [Google]
ayayay.jpg
223 KB, 682x732
>iz gud?
>iz bad?
>wat do?
>>
to that anon with line DSL problems, post the SNR - singal to noise ratio
>>
Reposting my question because we were right in the middle of it

QUESTION:
>DSL Internet locks up for a few seconds every minute or so
>Call Verizon, get told its my router
>Buy a brand new router and modem
>Still hapenning
>Verizon tells me its because i have too many electronics in the house on at once (???)
>Turn some off still happens
>Call a 3rd time
>Tells me my cables are bad
>Point out they are all brand new (including the DLS filter)
>They hang up on me
>Call a 4th time
>Tells me everything is fine with my connection and hangs up on me
>Try a chat session
>Jumps me through hoops, ends up "testing my connection" and will call me back
>Calls me back at midnight
>Tells me everything is fine
>Tell him I am having problems
>"OK" (Hangs up)

WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO. I am ready to blow a fucking gasket. Verizon is the ONLY FUCKING INTERNET PROVIDER NEAR ME AND I NEED RELIABLE HOME INTERNET for work.

And its not just my computer
>Cellphone
>PS3
>Tablet
>Desktop

ALL HAVE THIS ISSUE

What the fuck do I do? Who or how do I escalated this shit so I dont just get some fucking Indian who is just going to hang up on me?

What the flying fuck could even be fucking wrong at this point.

NEXT: Some anon told me to check line Attenuation. Here are my stats
Line Attenuation: 15.0db DOWN 9.1db UP
Noise Margin: 19.9 DOWN 20.7db UP
>>
File: 1447510779984.jpg (142 KB, 960x721) Image search: [Google]
1447510779984.jpg
142 KB, 960x721
Really new to programming. There's so much information floating around about platforms and how to implement things, that I have no idea where to begin.

Building a tool in python to crunch some simple numbers according to some already derived beam bending equations.
I can do this in terms of the code, it's quite simple providing I handle exceptions correctly to ensure proper inputs from the user.

Is tkinter the best thing to use to create a GUI? If not, then what?

How can I package my tool for use on other people's computers?

I know python is an interpreted language instead of a compiled one, but can I create a compiled executable for what I'm building?

Mainly so the user doesn't have to have python installed on their system (likely windows)?

Would it be easier to put it on google cloud services and host it as a web application instead? Or maybe even do something with android.

Help, I think I'm overloaded with info at the moment.
>>
File: 148-00.jpg (121 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
148-00.jpg
121 KB, 1200x900
I have pic related and it just sucks. Are there better pumps or are they all shit? I don't wanna pay 100$ for a proper desoldering gun
>>
>>51461682
both those values seem ok (you want the noise margin to be 20+, while you want attenuation to be 20 or less for a optimal connection).

it will seem suck eggs, but have you gone about disconnecting every device in your house from the phone lines, and just connecting your router straight in, without using a splitter, just straight to the wall?

What else do you usually have plugged into phone lines in your house and again suck eggs, but does every device plugged into a phoneline in the wall have it's own splitter?
>>
>>51461776
you said it sucks, what is the problem?
>>
File: #.jpg (66 KB, 600x354) Image search: [Google]
#.jpg
66 KB, 600x354
>>51461776
Use a desoldering wick/braid

I was using the pump for a while. Then I stopped being a faggot and learnt to use the wick. Best decision.

>tfw No more fucking exploding shitty chinese made pumps, spraying molten and solid solder all over my fucking living room.
>>
If I want to get hardcore in to programming, will I care if I use windows 10 instead of Linux? I only have bad bad experiences with Linux and I'm too poor for apple
>>
>>51461781
The only things that were plugged into the phone line were my Satilite Box (Which is out now) and a Wireless Phone (I got it for free).

(Note: My phone jack I mean into the wall)
The Modem is plugged into one Phone jack (Using a splitter) amd the phone is plugged into an opposite jack (Also using a splitter)

I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep the splitters in, just incise I need to do some rearranging, but what do you think?

I will take a walk and disconnect them both and see what happens. Should I remove the splitters on both/either?
>>
I'm looking at a 980 or 980 Ti for my PC this holiday season. Would a Core i5-4430 @ 3.0GHz bottleneck either?

Also, would a 650w PSU be enough?
>>
I'm getting into Hydrus Network. Is there anyway to compare my image to a booru and and download the tags for the image from the booru if it finds a match?
>>
>>51461634
but really now, is this issue or not? im nab help me
>>
How much current can you safely draw from a cellphone battery?

Assume it's a 3,000 mAh 3.7V lithium-ion battery. I understand drawing 1 amp of current (3.7 watts) is safe but what about 2 amps or 4 amps?

I ask because I'm curious if slapping a 10 watt max tdp CPU on a small 7" tablet is possible without using multiple lithium-ion batteries configurations.
>>
>>51461815
I've tried wick and it's even worse, just gets stuck to the PCB all the time and I didnt manage to desolder anything with it. I desoldered an entire keyboard pcb with the sucker but it took me 2 hours, several tries on each joint it's just super inconsistent.

>>51461786
huehue
>>
>>51461839
it doesn't really matter unless the tools you want to use aren't available for your platform, but really if linux is giving you trouble then you might want to work on your diagnostic and resolution skills or at the very least be aware that it's likely an issue for you and comment the fuck outta your code for when you need to fix/change shit
>>
>>51461843
just do a test by making sure no device is plugged into any phone line, then plugging your router straight in with no splitter. Also yeah, if you ever have a regular phone and a router/modem plugged into a wall you will need a splitter, even if each device is plugged into a separate wall socket. However if you don't have a home phone and only use the phone line for your router you don't need a splitter, same as if you didn't have a router and just plugged a phone in.

Does you home phone experience distortion or drop outs as well?
>>
>>51461850

considering most i5's are sub 3.5 ghz anyway, you'll be fine.

650w psu will be fine. i always buy more watts than i need though. not much more money for a lot more watts should you decide to SLI down the road.
>>
>>51461946
it's unsafe not have to a decent overhead on your PSU power anyway
>>
Trying to add a user in slackware properly, but when I add it with most of the recommended groups, I cannot run "NetworkManager" "reboot" and a couple other notable commands as this user.
It will just come back as "command not found"
Am I missing some groups?
>>
>>51461914
depends on the rating of the battery
but I'm guessing that battery won't be able to hold it
>>
i got a GTX 960 like 2 months ago and it worked well, but suddenly for no reason that i can think off everything became choppy, mostly MMOs. And i'm not talking drop to 30fps choppy. I mean games that before played in smooth 60 now play in fucking 15fps. How do i check what could have happened? I restored my gpu drivers and i'm starting to think it's CPU's fault but it shouldn't, as i have an i7-4790K running at 4GHz
>>
>>51462054

what do you mean 'restored'?

always uninstall and reinstall.

try an older driver and see if it's better.
>>
>>51461937
Alright will do.
Is there an easy way to test this issue? Right now I have been booting up a game and trying it online every time.
>>
File: battery.jpg (187 KB, 826x1280) Image search: [Google]
battery.jpg
187 KB, 826x1280
>>51461977
What about pic related?
>>
I've got a simple, stupid question.

My PSU, a Seasonic SSR 750RT, doesn't seem to have a switch to go from 110v to 240v, ie, from North American voltage to New Zealand voltage.

It does however say the voltage range is 100-240v, does this mean that I don't need to manually switch to 240v; it'll just be fine if I plug it into a NZ socket without a step-down transformer or something?
>>
Why is ARM such a piece of shit? I thought it was suppose to replace x86 but it didn't. Instead it's used in miniature facebook machines which are using intel chips more and more (zenfone 2).
>>
>>51462117
I uninstalled the GTX, ran some games on an intel HD 4600, it's exactly as bad so either the games aren't using the 960 for some reason or the CPU's fucked up. halp?
>>
>>51461611
I have an old monitor with blown capacitors and the radioshack has capacitors that are 10 volts over the ones on the power board, otherwise, the same.
The capacitors that need to be replaced are 2x 220uF 25v and 2x 1000uF 25v. The ones I can get locally are 220uF 35v and 1000uF 35v.
Will this harm the monitor in any way?

Someone last thread that this is a bad idea. Why?
>>
>>51462273

for whatever reason your shit is defaulting back to the integrated graphics.

i'd power down, remove card, reinstall card, reinstall drivers, reboot, and run GPUZ and some benchmarks. check in your BIOS if you can disable onboard graphics and force pcie slot graphics instead.
>>
>>51462227
Pretty much. PSUs are designed to take 120/240V unless explicitly stated. If the manual didn't mention any voltage switch then the components inside will adapt to the 240V.
>>
>click on .gif file
>stare at it for several seconds
>it's not animated
niggggggggggggggggggggggggggggger
>>
File: dsl-filter-and-spliter.jpg (9 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dsl-filter-and-spliter.jpg
9 KB, 300x300
>>51462137
>>51461937
Alright so I found that my phone was connected to some weird device that just said "phone" and had 1 phone line input.

So I found what I recognize as a DSL splitter (Pic related) and connected it. I cant unplug it right this second because the phone is in use (I live at home to help take care of my mom and she is having a long winded conversation.)
>>
>>51462337

I'll give the PSU another quick lookover and then turn it on and see what happens.

Thanks.
>>
>>51462311
yeah i unplugged it and reinstalled the drivers. Gonna try disabling the intel one later but also i realised i'm using 2 screens, one connected to the GPU via an HDMI port, another one to the intel one with a VGA. It's been like that all the time, even before it shit itself so would that change anything? Should i buy a VGA/DVI converter? My 960 only has an HDMI, DVI and DP ports so can't connect the VGA screen to it.
>>
>>51462139
cant find any max current ratings
it might work, but you'll get much less time out of it than calculated
or it could blow up
>>
>>51462378
SURVEY SAYS

NO
>>
File: 1414195054320.png (276 KB, 580x471) Image search: [Google]
1414195054320.png
276 KB, 580x471
>>51462447

yeah narrow it down using your main monitor over hdmi first.

>vga cable

got one of those fancy CRT's you just can't let go of?
>>
Would it be possible to come up with a script for 4chan that would automatically ban frogposters?
>>
Why did the color of my monitor change after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10?
>>
>>51462619
Also, before someone asks, I did make sure my graphics drivers are up to date.
>>
>>51462529
i was switching from a laptop to a desktop and only had one HMDI screen at home unfortunately.

I also noticed games run jast as bad on low settings and on ultra? Seems to be unable to go above 25 fps. And it only happens in online games(Blade and soul, ESO, Tera, swtor)? Just cause 2 for example falls down only to around 40 from maxed out 60fps. FO4 works fairly ok too.
>>
are wd blues quieter than greens?
>>
File: macbook_fire.jpg (11 KB, 441x362) Image search: [Google]
macbook_fire.jpg
11 KB, 441x362
>>51462454
>it might work, but you'll get much less time out of it than calculated
>or it could blow up
lol Interesting. That must be why the macbooks kept causing house fires. Too much fucking current was being pulled out of those poor batteries.
>>
>>51461611
I have a quick question about my nokia lumia 800

I dropped it 10 minutes ago, it looked fine.
It landed flat on the back on bricks, and now i had to take the battery out because the screen got scolding hot and black spots started to apear.

Is the phone doomed now?
or what could i do to fix this?

I opened the case and the part that is hot is near the camera, not the battery itself but something near the sd card and camera is turning very very hot
>>
>>51462692
no too much current or whatever going in for "quick" charging
>>
Is -70dBm a bad signal strength?

Why would it be represented in windows as a good signal strength if its bad?
>>
>>51462619
>>51462634
It's likely that your monitor had a specific colour profile that was being used in Win 7

go to the monitor's manufacturer's website and see if you can find it
>>
>>51462724
It seems to be a browser thing. Images look different in browser and outside it.
>>
text on 4chan is thicker on one machine than the other. both win10 machines displaying on the same display, both using opera.

wtf?
>>
>>51462706
Is that why they discourage quick charging Note 4 batteries? Could they burst into flames from all that extra current as well?
>>
>>51462742
It's not specific to what browser I use either. Images appear the same in Chrome and Firefox.
>>
How fucking long does it take ifixot to process my order, it's been a fucking week and it's still processing
>>
>>51461914
amd doesn't make tablets
don't try using amd in a tablet
>>
>>51462785
>>51462785
never heard of them bruh, but I ordered something from district lines once for a family member present and it took them a fucking month to ship it out
>>
>>51461634
IS THIS ISSUE?
>>
>>51462268
Because ARM always tried too hard to be "power efficient". Because of that they doomed themselves to only be used on low power devices (phones). They were never a viable option for desktops or even laptops because of how insanely weak the cores were.

During all this time all the useful programs were written for OSs that used x86 chips. So in the end ARM is best used to browse the web, as a facebook machine, listen to music/ watch movies, or just play angry birds but nothing more serious than that.
>>
What does the FSB Strap to Northbridge option in BIOS do?

I'm running an OCd E8500 on a P5Q board with DDR2 800Hz RAM.

If I set strap to 333 I get the option for 801 MHz for RAM, if I set it to 400 I get the option for 800. I set it to 400 since it's "cleaner"
>>
Differences between Crucial's mx200 & bx100 line? I'm looking to get a new SSD for a Linux dual boot.
>>
So I understand that Linux gives you some extra stability and doesn't use as much resources as windows, but if games and software tend to be made for windows and won't run on linux, why go linux? Why make a second partition and do half windows half Linux? Doesn't it just become a pain in the ass to have to switch back and forth? Also have you ever felt like your linux wasn't secure? I heard that its a growing issue for most builds.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-21-21-40-15.png (91 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-21-21-40-15.png
91 KB, 960x540
>>51462816
lol have you been living in a cave? AMD already has [4] power efficient 28nm Mullins APUs for tablets. Not sure about the prices though.
>>
>>51462908
most any mainstream program will run fine through wine
>>
>>51462712
Bumping
>>
>>51462904

Get the mx200, it's nearly the equivalent of the samsung 850 pro (that's pro, NOT evo). Basically faster and more reliable than the bx100. Watch for sales right now. Just saw 250 GB mx200s for $80. Currently sold out, but that gives you a price point to shop for. An 850 pro still goes $120 minimum and there's almost no difference ... primarily Samsung offers a longer warranty at 10 years, but the mean time between failure on both drives is 2,000,000 hours and more.
>>
>>51462909

why is amd wasting money on shit like this when they need to be releasing a powerful desktop cpu two years ago?

nobody gives a shit about those cpu's.
>>
>>51462958
I heard that by running it through wine it takes up even more resources than it would on just he native windows, but I've never used it. I assume most games/mmos and what have you don't work, or run rather slowly through wine, no? I want to try Linux, but when I start to do my research it starts to look like it just doesn't make sense for what I use my computer for; 50% web browsing, playing videos, music etc. 50% playing rather intensive games, which I think is the problem area.
>>
>>51463029
dude, you can believe what some randoms on the net tell you, be it good or bad about linux, but the bottom line is it's free so you can give it a whirl and spend only the time you invest in it, to see for yourself if it fits your needs
>>
>>51463023
True but they are still pretty neat. For AMD to cram [4] 1.2GHz cores on a chip and only require 4.5 watts under load is a pretty amazing accomplishment. They would be perfect for small 10-12" laptops imho.
>>
>>51463078

perfect for a facebook machine, sure.
>>
I've only ever used a mouth with two buttons and a scroll wheel, but I know there are others with a bunch more buttons and stuff.
Is it worth it to get one of those nice with extra buttons? For those who own the, have you gotten plenty of use of them?

And which one would you recommend to an 'advanced mouse' noob who is left handed (but still have the two buttons arranged as they would on the right handed mouse: the left button is the primary one and the right button is for 'right clicking' stuff.)
>>
>>51462712
assuming you mean mobile signal, it's good. the lower the better.
>>
>>51463149
I wouldn't go for one with a shitload of buttons but five is nice, you can map them as back/forward buttons or whatever you want
>>
>>51462619
>>51462634
>>51462776
Fixed this issue myself. The problem was the due to the way in which the image was saved in Photoshop (not using "Monitor RGB").
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-21-22-09-00.png (80 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-21-22-09-00.png
80 KB, 960x540
>>51463094
You'd be surprised. It has ~65% the processing power of the Core M-5Y10. It certainly can't be used to encode video but it would do fine in other applications like photoshop or adobe illustrator.
>>
>>51463216
>You'd be surprised

no, i really wouldn't. i had a shitty slow amd netbook before and it was balls.

but if it's your thing that's cool.
>>
File: signal.png (16 KB, 1574x295) Image search: [Google]
signal.png
16 KB, 1574x295
>>51463164
No I mean Wifi Signal.

I installed Xirrus and it says my signal to my home Wifi is -81.

Alsoif thats bad it this would explain>>51461682

The only question would be, since I only have a 5Mbps connection, what extender to get so that I lose the least on my already pathetically slow connection

Pic related
>>
Old PC got fried. Been using my gaymen laptop but it gets too hot and just turns off if under heavy use (can only get to TW3 main menu and shuts off after a minute)
i5 4460
Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3
An 80+ 550w PSU
NZXT 410
I'll reuse the following from my old build
4gb ddr3 ram (upgrade to 8 or 16 gb if I find a good deal)
7770 (960 ti soon)
I'll be replacing my ram and gpu once I find someone who will buy them.
Purpose will be for vidya such as TW3 and DaS2 on a 1080 display. Other than that, I'll also be using it for PyCharm and Visual Studio but I prefer to separate work and real life so this won't usually happen.
This will probably be the last time I'm gonna blow cash on my PC as I have other priorities now.
>>
>>51461776
https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-45-watt-desoldering-iron?variant=5717855877
>>
>>51463386

do yourself a favor and get something faster than a 960 for TW3, it looks good on max.
>>
Just downloaded Debian. It's only showing the CLI, and startx isn't working. I've downloaded GNOME (I think), it just won't show up. I'm not/can't get connected to the internet. What do?
>>
So I want a good search engine that works both on linux and windows (I'd be willing to use something that ran in a php server, even) and has all the same functionalities of google. I don't want just to search by filename, I want it to search in the content of the files themselves when I tell it to do so.
How could I do this? Using some php engine and indicating it to scan file:// and local ftp servers?
>>
>>51463640
Also, what's a good alternative to raspberry pi these days? I imagine there must be some superior alternative at this point.
Only thing I want is something that can work for a few hours on batery (My electricity is kind of wonky, with these drug dealers that live close by fucking it up in with their hooked connection in a monthly basis), network access, USB ports, and ssh access, which I guess is something every single mini computer must have at this point. Other things would be nice but aren't strictly necesary.
>>
a male librian said that he does not like linux because its open source since its open source its likely to get more virus/hacked

how do i rekt him with facts?
>>
>>51463692
Open source means that every single error will be found within weeks nine out of ten times.
>>
I want to use a TV as a third monitor, mainly for games/videos. I also want it in a different spot then where my computer setup is. Can I use something like the Roku to connect the television to my computer?
>>
>>51463709
i dont think roku has an option to do that.
just get a long hdmi/dvi cable and hook it up
>>
>>51463692
Give a windows 7 machine to a grandma and, say, a xubuntu machine to another grandma. Answer their questions, but don't stop them from fucking up.
Wait a week, and see which of the two is still working.
>>
I NEED A CHEAP CAMERA. IT DOESN'T NECESSARILY NEED TO RECORD VIDEO, I WOULD ACTUALLY PREFER AN OPTION FOR EVERY 5 OR EVEN 10 SECONDS A SHOT BE TAKEN AS THAT WOULD SAVE A LOT OF SPACE YET SHOW ME WHAT I NEED TO SEE. IT ALSO NEEDS TO BE WATERPROOF AND PREFERABLY LAST AT LEAST 8 HOURS ON A CHARGE

MY BUDGET IS 200 DOLLARS, BUT WOULD DEFINITELY PREFER LESS THAN 100 DOLLARS. DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD CHEAP CAMERA/RECORDER? PLEASE /g/
>>
>>51463759
none becasue both are grandmas
>>
>>51463783
Just don't install wine and they'll be fine.
>>
File: eh?.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
eh?.png
304 KB, 722x768
>install FreeBSD
>want to load it using GRUB
>try to load the kernel directly
>shows a blank screen
>try to load the special bootloader it has
>hangs trying to load the kernel
>select FreeBSD drive from the EFI boot menu
>loads normally
>>
File: flash_media_2015-11-21_5249.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
flash_media_2015-11-21_5249.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
>>51461611

I'm looking for recommended utilities to test & evaluate flash media devices for reliability. I've got a bunch of them in various states of use and age. Want to parse out the ones I can trust from the ones that should be trashed or write-once with data and store them for (mostly) read-only back up devices.

What does /g/ use to test their flash drives?

I tried to start a thread here on the topic:
--> >>51462067

Answer here or there is you are so inclined to answer at all.

Recommendations of what utilities to avoid are just as welcome.
>>
File: taylor-swift-reaction-face-1.gif (247 KB, 250x133) Image search: [Google]
taylor-swift-reaction-face-1.gif
247 KB, 250x133
Is there a key combination that behaves like the middle mouse button when clicked?

I want scrolling and the ability to open a link in a new tab, but I don't have a middle mouse button.
>>
>>51463759
Both, since my Grandma would try to use it for 5 minutes, give and curse the Gypsies for a bit in Italian.

They'd be kept spotlessly clean though.
>>
>>51463777
nice lucky trips. The gopro hero is what you're looking for. 5MP camera + 1080p30fps video recording. It's like $100 iirc and is waterproof. You can buy a cheap $20 32GB mSD for basic storage.
>>
anyone know where i can get a decent Z77 mobo that supports sli without having to pay an arm and a leg

i'm canadian btw
>>
>>51464019
THANK YOU FOR THE RESPONSE, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT. CAN THE GOPRO HERO ALSO DO SIMPLE SNAPSHOTS AT INTERVALS? THIS WILL BE USED ON MY DOG SPECIFICALLY TO SEE IF THIS FUCKER IS THE ONE KILLING OUR OTHER ANIMALS. THE BATTERY NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO LAST AT LEAST A DAY DOING CONTINUAL SNAPSHOTS. ALSO BEING ABLE TO LOWER THE RESOLUTION TO SAVE SPACE WOULD BE VERY NICE AS WELL. please respond
>>
>>51463957
curious about this too, my middle mouse has been broken for 2 or more years now
>>
>>51464207
STOP YELLING!!

And yeah a go-pro hero can do time lapse. It can take burst photos from 1-5 fps. I'm not sure about the battery though. It's only rated at 2.5 hour @ 720p but time lapse photos might extend the battery life.
>>
>>51464274
JUST CRUISIN' THE 'CHON. I APPRECIATE THIS CONVERSATION WE HAVE HAD. THANK YOU
>>
>>51463149
Mice with extra buttons are commonly used by gamers to increase their APM. Normal users might not get much benefit for their costs.
>>
Is there any benefit in upgrading 1333mhz ram to 1866mhz or higher when it comes to gaming?
>>
File: Screenshots_2015-11-21-22-55-58.png (1 MB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshots_2015-11-21-22-55-58.png
1 MB, 1080x1920
Is there anyway to change the color of the bar on the brightness slider?I'd like to have the whole thing grey scale, would also like to be able to hide that gear icon and probably make the checkmark grey as well. I have been having it hidden because it's hideous, but would like to have it in my notification panel if possible. Rooted note 3.
>>
Why does my Firefox Developer clear its history upon exit even though it is set to remember history?

It started when I switched to the 64bit version, but I have changed back to 32 bit and the history still clears itself. The problem still occurs even when all my addons are disabled.
>>
File: 1446518734236.jpg (70 KB, 750x1061) Image search: [Google]
1446518734236.jpg
70 KB, 750x1061
Will the g1840 bottleneck the gtx 750?
>>
>>51464425
Only if you are using an APU. If you are using a dedicated GPU then faster ram won't do jack shit. 1333MHz is already transferring at a blistering 10.6GB/s.
>>
What motherboard should I get with an 1150 socket and no intention to overclock?

Thinking an H81 but any model inparticular?
>>
File: 89h9.png (368 KB, 432x580) Image search: [Google]
89h9.png
368 KB, 432x580
I acidentally did block element with ublock on something I needed. How do I cool that gui where I can unblock certain elements on the site. I did it before just forget
>>
>>51463957
Page up and page down scroll and I believe alt-enter opens a new tab but I'm on my phone and can't test that. I would just buy a new mouse desu
>>
>>51464557
There are only two. One has a DVI port and the other has HDMI. Choose whichever one you have.
>>
>>51464563
>>51464563
>How do I get to that gui******
>>
>>51461611

why does 4chan not allow real anon browsing?
>>
>>51464569
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=h81&N=-1&isNodeId=1
uh.....
>>
>>51464582
To stop CP and to document non vpn/tor IPs that have posted real CP to the authorities.
>>
i'm going to get my grandmother a laptop because she's insisting on it

should i just have her learn windows? should i get her a used macbook? should i have her try elementary os?

basically, what OS is most friendly to computer illiterate old people
>>
>>51464582
It's used by spammers to ban evade
>>
>>51464727
Get her the used mac. Mac os is designed for people with room temperature IQs and old people. Anything linux would confuse her too much and windows while more useful needs some time getting used to and old people don't really have much patience and expect things to "just werk" without having to think too much.
>>
>>51464806
yeah, i had a feeling
does it need to be good enough to run el capitan or would she even be fine with the 2006 macbooks
how much should we realistically spend on a used mac for her
>>
>>51464844
>does it need to be good enough to run el capitan or would she even be fine with the 2006 macbooks
Preferably, she might not like the snail slow processing power of a 2006 macbook that can barely load 720p youtube.

>how much should we realistically spend on a used mac for her
$200 - $300 for a used 2010 macbook seems ideal imho
>>
My computer is freezing randomly, audio also buzzes. I've run 8 passes on memtest and one of my ram sticks gets the note that it might fuck up on high freq hammer row, while the other one came out perfect. So I've been running the single working stick only today and it froze again. Nothing in event log for crash just afterwards saying unexpected reboot without shutdown (I have to hard reboot to get my computer up). When I'm on linux nothing in journalctl nor xorgs log. I built this computer last week so I'd lile to pinpoint the fuck up quickly so I can use my warranty, what can I do?
>>
>>51464902
>$200-$300
i should mention i'm canadian
so that'll make it more like $300-$450 :'(
>>
>>51464902
>>51464944
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook/specs/macbook-core-2-duo-2.26-white-13-polycarbonate-unibody-late-2009-specs.html

I can get one of these for $350 Canadian. Good idea or bad idea?
>>
File: cd2p7550.png (86 KB, 943x329) Image search: [Google]
cd2p7550.png
86 KB, 943x329
>>51465060
Processor is almost celery performance, a 2010 macbook would be better if you could find it on the cheap.
>>
hi,

i've never used linux but i want to try please push me in the right direction /sqt/
>>
>>51465261
ubuntu
fedora
>>
how possible is 3DS emulation currently?
>>
Does having a good router make your internet faster?
>>
Best distro for a media center pc?
>>
What light meter should I get?
L-308s or L-478D?
>>
>>51465512
it depends, if you are close to the router adn just use it for internet a crappy 100mbps down one will easily suffice. You'd need some really stupid fast internet like google fiber to be bottlenecked and in any case if you get internet that good they will give you a router that can actually use it anyway.

The difference comes when you use the router for multiple things. if it is trying to service a bunch of connections to phones, computers etc, as well as maybe stream something from a media server then yeah, a shitty router will cause problems and getting a better one will help.
>>
I hear that NFS is considered bad now because of no security.

What is the preferred modern replacement? SSHFS? NFS over SSH?
>>
File: Capture.png (38 KB, 228x149) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
38 KB, 228x149
What's the cause of this?

And before someone says GPU is going bad this issue occurred on my previous GPU and was what made me get a different one

that happens in games, web pages, programs etc. That example I made go away just by resizing the window which seems to work when and where ever it happens.
>>
does /g/ ever have threads where anons sell their gently used parts?
>>
Is there anywhere to download Opera 12 extensions?
>>
>>51461760
>Is tkinter the best thing to use to create a GUI? If not, then what?

tkinter can be used to create simple GUI's but as soon as you want something advanced, I'd move to something like PySide, Kivy or PyQt.

>How can I package my tool for use on other people's computers?

There's several tools that can do it for you. Google search it.

>I know python is an interpreted language instead of a compiled one, but can I create a compiled executable for what I'm building?

Technically.. yes. Take a look at Nuitka.

>Would it be easier to put it on google cloud services and host it as a web application instead? Or maybe even do something with android.

Idk, but I think creating a program is easier and more manageable.
>>
>>51461869
Read the Help.
There's also a public tag repo around which might help.
>>
>>51462601
Yes.
>>
>>51467128
then why hasn't someone made one yet
it would improve the website five-fold
>>
>>51466542
No.
>>
What is the best way to split the operating system and user files on a dual drive setup(singular dual drive WD Black2) on OSX? 10.8.5?

All I want is system speed and all the rest does not matter

Also does parallels preform better on a SSD or could I move that also move that to the HDD partition? I only use it for Chinese Visual books and small windows only games.
>>
When does the majority of personal computers become passively cooled?
>>
I need to deploy my application to OSX but don't have one in possession. I've tried setting up a VM with no success, the dependencies I need won't install properly.

Isn't there anything I can do?
Does a website exist where you can ssh into a public OSX free of charge or something?
>>
>>51465513
i think there's a xbmc/kodi distro somewhere

>>51465359
not at all
>>
>>51466504
Anyone?

Currently I'm blaming the pci-e slot and will be able to find out later when i have what i need to clean it, if cleaning doesn't wok i'll just try a new slot.

I can't manually reproduce this it kind of just happens at random.

Again once it happens i can usually just resize whatever it happens in and it goes away. But if it happens on the desktop I enable then disable eyefinity and it goes away, jsut about the only way I've found that gets rid of it barring a reset. It's always square shaped like that as well.
>>
Help me /g/. I'm new to linux and I don't know how to put volume control in my tint2 panel. Been looking for solutions but I'm too retarded to make them work. What do?
>>
>too stupid for google

Are there devices for home PC's to protect them against power outages?
What are they called?
Only can find >multiple thousand $ stuff on google
can't be that expensive, right?
>>
>>51467365
...You mean like a UPS?

http://www.amazon.com/b?node=764572
>>
>>51467382
yes, nice, thanks
>>
What's the general consensus here on Sailfish OS? From the things I've seen and read about it it looks like a neat project. Has anyone here ran and tested it?
I was thinking about getting a nexus 5 some time in the future to put it on.
>>
>>51467647
it's kinda shit senpai
>>
>>51461611
is there any way to get an ahk file to call a function defined in the main script file? i tried running a script i have defined there and gives an "undefined function" error
>>
I'm building an HTCP with some old parts I have laying around my house.

I can choose between two mobos:
Asus M2A-VM
Asus M2N-E SLI

Which one should I choose?
>>
>>51467876
well, i guess as long as the calling and texting bits work it should be good, right? what's shit about it?
>>
I have some bluray rips I want to shrink in file size for portability.
I'm thinking of bringing them down to ~4GB.
Should I just run
ffmpeg -i in.mkv -vcodec copy -acodec copy -b:v [value] -a:v [value] out.mkv

and adjust the bitrate values accordingly, or are there better methods to bring the file size down which will yield better quality?
>>
File: 572924238_148.jpg (36 KB, 681x516) Image search: [Google]
572924238_148.jpg
36 KB, 681x516
I've never chosen a router, they've always been given to my by my ISP. Lately I've been streaming my desktop to my tablet so I can be a lazy shit in bed although there's some jitter and lag. Would a better router fix this? It's the only thing I can think of that would be a bottleneck.

What should I look for in a router and should I upgrade from my Thomson TG782T.

Current setup is wired connection between the router and the desktop and wireless connection between the router and tablet.
>>
>>51461925
Sounds like you don't know what you're doing. I have both a solder sucker and solder wick and they work fine. Git Gud Scrub.
>>
what websites do people use for torrenting now days?

For anime and musiic i have private trackers but for movies i prefered to just use the piratenbay. what surpassed it?
>>
>>51462337
But even ones with a voltage selector will say "110-240V" on them.
>>
>>51468179
I usually use Kickass torrents
>>
File: ba-dum-tss1.jpg (17 KB, 320x276) Image search: [Google]
ba-dum-tss1.jpg
17 KB, 320x276
>>51468235

Is it...Kick Ass?
>>
File: 1383733707129.gif (459 KB, 245x141) Image search: [Google]
1383733707129.gif
459 KB, 245x141
>>51468248
>>
>>51461611

Anyone know what's a good dictaphone? The missus wants one for lectures, and I've no idea where to start. Hoping to pick one up during black friday for her.

Any ideas?
>>
File: mBuQaFyKPMI.jpg (59 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
mBuQaFyKPMI.jpg
59 KB, 540x540
Is it possible to mod Fallout 4 models into Fallout 3?
What is more likely to happen, someone recreating Fallout 3 with a Fallout 4 mod, or someone putting Fallout 4 stuff in a Fallout 3 mod?
>>
What's the best way to clean out a PC i'm selling? (2 drives, including drivers and shit but not things as relevant as system 32)
>>
I'm using an old AM2 board for a media center.

I have 2x 2GB DDR2 ram sticks running on dual channel. I'm considering adding two 1GB sticks I have laying around but I'm not sure if this will hurt dual channel performance.
>>
>>51468368
yes its possible, no one has modded it yet though. you could work on it yourself, porting the gamefiles probably isnt too difficult.

Although why would you want to? fo4 doesnt look that good and fo3 isnt that old
>>
>>51467956
>using an sli mobo for non-sli purposes
why
>>
Why android apps doesnt need the main class?
>>
>>51468368
Probably more likely take the Tale of two wastelands approach
>>
>>51468490
I ended up using that one because:

It was already installed on the case that was in better condition, with everything already connected.

5.1 speakers support.

But mostly laziness.
>>
>>51466504
Alright, I'ma rephrase this. Can an unclean/ broken pci-e slot cause this?

I'd like to just say it's the GPU because it's the most obvious but my previous GPU did this, it's what caused me to get a different one.

I can stress the GPU out 100% but not recreate the issue. It's not temps, etc.

Could it be RAM somehow? Even though I've successfully ran memtest with no issues.
>>
>>51468672
If it is the Pci-e slot how much if any performance difference would there be if it's run in pci-e 2.0 X4 vs 3.0 x16? This is an R9 280x by the way.
>>
>>51468672
mobo is fucked... or chord is
>>
Is there an easy way of temporarily blocking the access to the internet for certain apps on android without root?

For example if I want to block access to the internet of whatsapp when I lend my phone to my mother to make a Viber call.
>>
>>51468772
settings has a restrict back ground data feature
>>
>>51468777
Good idea, however, that only works if you're not connected to WiFi.
>>
>>51468802
interesting, i can turn it off for all data. probs an app for this exists
>>
Do you really need expensive case fans? Can I just slap couple of cheap $5 on it?
>>
>>51468820
sure. but don't complain when you hear a constant rattling noise then.
>>
File: 1440243542273.jpg (67 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1440243542273.jpg
67 KB, 540x960
Is there a way to set up a fast NAS with a router and openwrt? Does Openwrt support SATA over ethernet??
>>
>>51468820
i replaced the defaults in my 300r becuase they made an awful buzzing noise. spent $40 on some dece fans and i dont have the noise anymore
>>
>>51468820
>>51468825
and shit fans are loud as fuck, even without rattling noise
but if you don't care there is no difference
>>
>>51468701
Bummer.

I'm gonna try another pci-e slot just in case before I go out and get a new one. I didn't want to have to get a new one without getting a new CPU but oh well.

Anyone have good recommendations on an lga 1155 motherboard in case it is the board?
>>
does skype4pidgin still work or did skype's developers find a way to ruin that
>>
How would one go about streaming content from a GNU/Linux box to a dumb TV, wirelessly? Bonus points if I can stream the screen.
>>
>>51468825
I don't like it when my fans sound like they are going to fall apart either.
>>51468882
>>51468873
As long as they don't sound like helicopter or plane engine then it's alright. I work in a factory with loud as fuck old machines so I'm used to noises.

My only worry is that they don't move enough air to generate airflow inside the case. You get what you pay for after all.
Guess I will get some cheap ones then upgrade them when I have more budget.
Thanks for the input guys.
>>
>>51469011
check what fans you can put in the machine

if you can take 120mm fans or bigger, not the small 80mm or smaller, with a high rpm
all the same besides the noise
and how many do you think you will need?
what temps do you get in your factory?
most machines have unnecessary many fans
>>
How do I make a bootable Windows 7 usb from Linux?
I want to go home ;_;
>>
>>51468968
get a chromecast or similar device
>>
>>51469052
>download iso
>mount it
>copy all files from iso to usb
>restart and boot from usb
>go home
>>
>>51469052
No. You're here forever
>>
>>51469059
>get a chromecast or similar device
But then I'd only be able to stream from chrom* browsers. I'd like to stream from mpv.
>>
>>51469111
>or similar device
id role with that. chromecast sucks ass
>>
>>51467110
The public tag repo bloats the program considerably, and adds some tags I just do not like that I have to petition for removal.

I'll look over the help again. Maybe I missed something.
>>
>>51467092
Thank you friend.
>>
File: Untitled.png (30 KB, 1127x288) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
30 KB, 1127x288
How do I get Foobar2000 to order the tracks from Disc 1 first and Disc 2 second?
>>
File: Capturee.png (215 KB, 1666x992) Image search: [Google]
Capturee.png
215 KB, 1666x992
How do I get google results to use more than just half my web browser's width?
>>
Do the following motherboard and CPU go well together?

Asus H81M-PLUS and i3 4170
>>
>>51469066
Does that actually work
>>
>>51469303

If you want to use the web properly, turn your screen portrait, like god intended. The Web goes down not across moron.
>>
File: 18025_1.jpg (77 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
18025_1.jpg
77 KB, 900x675
I have the opportunity to buy a XFX R9 390X 8GB for 400€ (normally 450€), which is about 425$.

Should I go for it or is there something better perfomance/price wise?

Is XFX trustworthy in re-branding GPUs?
>>
File: Capture.jpg (16 KB, 1266x36) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
16 KB, 1266x36
Im going to be spending most of the day in a waiting room at a hospital tomorrow and they have public wifi. The problem is they block a lot of stuff. I was wondering if there was an easy guide to set up a VPN on a router running tomato? Would it be easier to set up if I flash to DD-WRT? And how would I connect to it with my laptop running Ubuntu and a tablet with Android?

I really only need it for at most 2 days so if there is something easier like SSH to access blocked sites from my home internet that would be fine too.
>>
File: 1353401929516.png (70 KB, 243x200) Image search: [Google]
1353401929516.png
70 KB, 243x200
How do I block an https website?
My Asus router can only block http sites...

I want to block an asian dating site that my roommate keeps getting scammed from. I'm sick of watching it, and he won't listen to me, so I want to make it look like the site's gone down or maybe even direct it to their 404 page.

>inb4 catfishing him
>>
>>51469502
block the ip
>>
>>51469497
Just run a socks over ssh. But the hospital might block 22. So forward it to 443. PPTP would be better performance if you have about 30 minutes to set it up.
>>
File: PPyX4.png (29 KB, 1007x393) Image search: [Google]
PPyX4.png
29 KB, 1007x393
>>51469589
Won't that bring up the router's blocked message?
Or can it be just the "Page not Found" message?
I'd rather he didn't know I'm doing this for his own sake, just like the site 'happened' to go down or something. Whoops.
>>
>>51469502

Hax his computer and bloxx it from the codecs within the <:E>Windows</:E>.
>>
Do you know a minimal program to encrypt files singularly, using AES-256? (CLI/GUI whatever, it just needs to do one thing, nothing else).
>>
>>51469731
He leaves his computers out all day, I could do that no problem if I just knew how.
>>
>>51469750
Aw hell, I just remembered he uses it on his phone too, that's why the router would be the better option.
(He's too stupid to turn off the wifi on his phone)
>>
>>51469731
1) Ping the site
2) Get the IP
3) Edit the hosts file or router settings
4) ...
5) Profit.
>>
why does Ublock block sourceforge?
>>
>>51469916
Malware programs desu
>>
>>51469627
Should I just be able to put these numbers in and it work?

http://www.rickygao.com/configure-tomato-vpn-server-to-access-back-home-network/
>>
Hey guys, anon from /k/ here, i just put in 4 gig memory stick on my motherboard and it just kept on bluescreening when the starting windows thing appears, i used to have two sticks of 1gig memory, how do i fix this anons? you programmers would have a idea wouldn't ya? i tried memtest and it just gets stuck at 27%
>>
>>51470256
>>51469627
I put that stuff in and it looks like I was able to connect to it through my tablet and ubuntu machine so we will have to see if it will work at the hospital. If it doesn't work it wont be that bad ill just be blocked from using dumb stuff like imgur
>>
>>51463239
Bumping. Should I be getting a Wifi Extender?

I am desperate as fuck. I can't keep letting my internet connection be like this because if I keep failing to log in from home (I am always on call for work) I am going to lose my job
>>
>>51470266
>you programmers
programmers are sub-human scum who hate themselves. don't lump me in with them

but, anyway, you can't fix dead ram, bud, download memtest86 and put it on a cd or usb to make absolutely sure it's your RAM that had gone bad
>>
Is there any free software that would allow me to clone hard drive but change partition sizes as well?
>>
Bought a new pc, parts coming in a couple days

How do I assemble it? Got any good guides?
>>
File: 1448131796098.jpg (1 MB, 1277x2036) Image search: [Google]
1448131796098.jpg
1 MB, 1277x2036
Is it recommended to reboot Gahnoo/Loonix after updating graphics drivers?

Everyone says you only need to reboot if you update the Linux kernel, but I would've thought driver updates would require a reboot too.
>>
>>51470646
Oh, and what about systemd? Are you supposed to reboot after updating that now too?
>>
>>51470589
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>>
>>51470480
Can you just run a cord?
>>
>>51470705
I wish, but its a rental and they won;t let us do any modifications.

I guess I could run it externally but that would be a hell of a long cord.
>>
File: Save me.jpg (147 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Save me.jpg
147 KB, 1680x1050
>>51470496
Hey there, I just put in my other two sticks that were there before and this is what my specs look like, 4GB Corsair Value DDR3 PC3-10600 (1333) Non-ECC Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V is what i ordered and once i put it into the slot and turned on the machine, it kept blue screening
>>
>>51469749
7zip
>>
>>51470745
>hell of a long cord.
http://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Cable-CAT5E-Beige-Grey/dp/B0018LU1JA
>>
>>51470891
>Only $10

Shiieett. Thats about $25 cheaper than I expected.

Might have to do some measuring. I'd use an extender, but my internet is only 5Mbps so I REALLY dont want to cut that in half.

Also my router doesn't have an external antennae, but I will try that first

>6 months of troubleshooting and all it took was me getting really drunk to possibly figure it out
>>
>>51471054
Can you just use your own router?
>>
How do I backup an Android phone?
What I want is to backup everything on my rootless Android 4.0.4 phone and then install it on a completely different phone or through Bluestacks.
>>
>>51471120
Possibly. All I would have to do is connect it to the original modem by an ethernet cable right? I have a shitty laptop I can use to configure it to be an access point.

Two questions on that front.
1. Where should I put the danged thing? I can probably get it into the room just below where I need to WiFi. I was looking at some maps of how WiFi travels though and it was a bit much for me.

2. How much speed loss would I experience?

Thanks a ton for your help. I am pretty uneducated about Networking in general, and it means a lot to me that you are helping me figure this out.
>>
>>51471170
Yes you would have to plug it in to the modem.

1. You always want it higher then where you need it, not lower. Lower will work but not as well.

2. Not a clue.
>>
>>51471254
>You always want it higher then where you need it,
Sadly this won't work since I need to WiFi on the second floor and there are no phone jacks up here.

Thanks for the help
>>
Is there any disadvantage to hibernating versus powering down aside from the hard drive real estate of hiberfile.sys?
>>
>>51471335
Best of luck.
>>
My laptop shuts off when the power adapter plug is moved slightly. Im using a generic one, is my laptop just shitting out on me? If its in one position there is no problem at all.
>>
File: 1425619048683.webm (265 KB, 702x720) Image search: [Google]
1425619048683.webm
265 KB, 702x720
I'm currently building a new computer but can't fit an OS into the budget. Since Windows 10 is free I downloaded it onto a USB. I do have Windows 8 and a product key on my current system. Will this be okay for the new one, will I be able to boot 10 on the new one?
>>
>>51471453
that's your processor dying. get a new laptop before it starts burning
>>
>>51461611
What are the best applications for keeping a TODO list?

Preferably it synchs phone and desktop, and it can be done online via a slick UI
>>
>>51471501
Also will my old laptop get deactivated or not?
>>
>>51471453
Do you own an HP?
>>
>>51471553
Google Keep, Evernote. Basically do the same thing.
>>
>>51471501
>>51471573
You have to convert your key somewhere if I remember correctly.
Your laptop will not be deactivated.
>>
>>51471595
Do I need to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10 first to convert the key?
>>
I need to find/host a simple website where I can display 1000+ jpgs. Also the visitors should be able to navigate between them graphically, like left/right buttons. Lastly I need to be able to add/remove jpgs when I want.

What would /g/ do?
>>
>>51471580
Does google keep really have a good integration of todo? I do use it for notes and stuff, but can I add items with a deadline and reminders and importance/priorty etc?
>>
>>51471642
digitalocean VPS + angularJS + nginx?
>>
File: unigi.png (610 KB, 756x613) Image search: [Google]
unigi.png
610 KB, 756x613
Why does my unigine heaven start screen look like this?

nothing works and it doesnt start I'm pretty sure its some .network 4.x.x but i cant seem to find which one.
>>
>>51471672
I will look into them, thanks.
>>
>>51471763
if it would be missing a .net framework, then the application wouldn't launch at all.
I guess they just didn't test classic themes, so the stereo dropdown is wider and moved down.
>>
What's the reccommended way to move AppData\Local off the ssd my Windows 10 installation is? I would like it moved from c:\users\me\appdata\local to d:\me\appdata\local.

Do I need to worry about extending the life of my ssd?
>>
Will
sudo apt remove flashplugin-installer
uninstall flash or just delete the installer?
>>
>>51471793
if you just want to move it because you're afraid of your SSD then don't.
it'll outlive you unless you write terabytes of data every day on it.
>>
>>51461611

If my room is always closed why do I see spiders in 2-3 weeks?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 56

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.