[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi. I don't know anything about hardware. I was thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1448146175092[1].jpg (321 KB, 640x430) Image search: [Google]
1448146175092[1].jpg
321 KB, 640x430
Hi.

I don't know anything about hardware. I was thinking about making a computer.

How hard would it be to make a computer and processor from scratch? I was thinking of starting from making a calculator and stopping at some type of game machine that can run game code.

Obviously I have nowhere to start with any of this though, so I just want to know the feasibility and what books I should get.

Keep in mind I just want to make a simple game box with a controller and some shitty, probably black and white LCD with a simple interface.
>>
If you really have to ask, it's beyond your capabilities.
>>
>>51459459
I wasn't aware people who made the first electronic calculators were born with the knowledge. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
I remember being young and stoned all the time as well OP
>>
How is this book?

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-computer-electronics-Albert-Malvino/dp/0070398615

Is there more modern books that perhaps are any better. If not I'll probably get this and start here.

>>51459550
What?
>>
If you are interested in this thing first learn about TTL logic and attempt to build less complex circuits first.

Making a security alarm is a good project.
>>
Start with an Arduino and a litte tft screen for your "game machine", after you're confortable with how microcontrollers and C work you could start working on something from scratch
>>
>>51459579
Use microcontroller and move on. Watch video on yt about scott CPU. It's easy explained how it works on small scale and you get idea why you won't build your own cpu like never. And knowledge of using mCUs will be much more usefull because it's something with you could work in the future.
>>
>>51459680
I was planning on it. The entire point of this thread is I was looking for good books on the subject. I have found some but just wanted to see if anybody had any recommendations.

Would a security alarm be simpler than a binary calculator? I did the calculator thing somewhat in high school but if it's easier I'll start there.

>>51459723
I'm not trying to make a Microprocessor.
>>
>>51459438
What you're proposing is thousands of dollars in equipment.

If you're seeking understanding, you can make a computer in minecraft using youtube tutorials for free. You will learn about binary logic, data buses, adders, t-flip flops etc.
>>
File: Simon-Game_l.jpg (40 KB, 400x348) Image search: [Google]
Simon-Game_l.jpg
40 KB, 400x348
>>51459438

Assuming that you're talking about wiring your own logic gates, as opposed to using some kind of embedded CPU, the most complex "game" you're ever going to make would be something along the lines of Simon.

But you almost certainly will never do that. Wiring up your own calculator would be interesting. You could probably do a few basic operations. It's been years since I covered it, but in my CS program we looked at the logic necessary for basic arithmetic. I forget exactly how it works, but you only need something like an OR and a NOT in order to compose other arithmetic operators.

You're *never* going to make anything that does floating point math, though, so get that right out of your head.

Here's what you could do: wire up two series of switches that correspond to bits in each number (so, say, four bit numbers, two rows of four switches). Then a switch or knob that selects the operation. Then a push-button that initiates the add/subtract/whatever operation.

THAT is the level of circuit you're likely to be able to create from scratch within your lifetime.
>>
>>51459764
And what is making "simple computer and processor from scratch" OP? Learn some shit. Then think if you are ready to talk about it.
>>
If ahmed can solder cpus so can this goy
>>
File: 1446341095353.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1446341095353.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>>51459884
>>
a calculator is about as far as you'll get before you give up because there's too much to think about
>i tried it once
>it didn't go well
>>
File: datapoint 2200.jpg (93 KB, 800x546) Image search: [Google]
datapoint 2200.jpg
93 KB, 800x546
>>51459438
If you have to ask then you aren't going to be able to. If you want a place to start, read about basic logic gates and then go onto doing various shit with those logic gates, between that and reading about the basics of computers work you'll eventually piece together how to do it and be able to build a shitty 4 bit computer. On the other hand you could be an idiot who doesn't want to learn anything and has way to much time on their hands, in which case you could build a copy of pic related (there are schematics floating around on the internet, I have a copy if anyone in this thread wants them) as it was based on discreet logic components.

Some reading about digital logic, complete with simulations you can dick around with to keep your attention:
http://www.play-hookey.com/digital/

>>51459961
The calculator isn't to hard.
>>
>>51460304
>> If you have to ask then ...

What the fuck is this shit?

Are we supposed to magically know everything? Fucking idiots.
>>
>>51460375
>Are we supposed to magically know everything?
No, but if you don't even have an idea of where to start then it's not something you're just going to be able to jump into doing. I gave you a link for where to start.
>>
>>51459438
>How hard would it be to make a computer and processor from scratch?
Actually, depending on your definition of "computer" it can be very easy. You can build a simple relay-logic adder/shift register type of computer. I've seen a model of Babbage's Difference Engine made from Meccano.
The next step is semiconductors. Before ICs people would build up AND and OR gates from discrete transistors when making timing/speed calculators for car races.
So, yes. It would be time consuming, but not hard.
>>
>>51459438

its a great idea ... don't know something ... learn

for you op
http://www.nand2tetris.org/
>>
i could recomend learing C, writng simple IO and maybe conection to pc on Arudio.
And eventualy you can go deeper to learing how to program dispaly, i2c, sd card, filesystem by changing other source.
>>
>>51460834
for those too lazy to open the page..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtXvUoPx4Qs
>>
>>51460834
>>51460879

please notice this notice
seeing as it actually answers the question asked in op

is also probably relevant to those that think this is
>>.. too hards for u m8..
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.