[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can a computer die just sitting on the shelf?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: 1447992678949.jpg (169 KB, 670x503) Image search: [Google]
1447992678949.jpg
169 KB, 670x503
I built a gaming desktop in ~2006, left it behind in 2008 when I went off to college.

Went to go boot it up now, can't get any video to appear on the screen, not even a POST message. One of the disk drives was making funny noises (has cd and dvd) so I unplugged both and the hard drive as well, but the symptoms are the same.

All leds light up and the fans spin, and that's it. I don't remember if it's supposed to beep or not on POST, the SMT pads labeled "buzzer" are unpopulated and there's a jumper marked "speaker" near the USB connectors but my case doesn't have a connector for it.

Could a dead CMOS battery cause all this? I don't have a spare one on hand. None of the capacitors are bulging.

Any ideas? I was hoping I'd be able to scavenge some pieces from this build but it's going to be way harder if I can't tell what's good and bad.
>>
If you live near sea, the salt water might fuck things up during the humid season.
>>
File: 1446901697744.jpg (42 KB, 380x400) Image search: [Google]
1446901697744.jpg
42 KB, 380x400
Forgot to mention that the shelf it was stored on is only ~12 feet away from my old computer desk, so I don't think it was banged around too much.

Also the CPU and southbridge heatsinks stay pretty cool to the touch after being on for ~20 seconds, but the northbridge heatsink gets suspiciously warm.

The motherboard does not have a video out so I am testing the video through DVI on the video card. I double-checked my monitor with a few different sources so I don't think the monitor's the problem.
>>
RIP annons computer
Post pics so we can properly morn it's passing together.

Was it able to run crysis?
>>
>>51458693

I'll get some pics together in a little bit. I don't know about crysis, mostly I played Oblivion and F.E.A.R. on it back when they were new.

I still remember escaping the intro caverns of Oblivion and being BLOWN AWAY HOLY SHIT BLOOM LIGHTING.

F
>>
>>51458551
The PSU could have easily died. It has tons of electrolytic capacitors, and if it's a low quality PSU as 99% of computers had back in those days those caps are deader than dead.

With dead caps a PSU is not particularly reliable at putting out the voltages/amps you need.
>>
>>51458551
2006 hardware is completely useless nowadays.
Just grab the drives and rip the data off them.
>>
>>51458862
Oblivion was pretty fucking spectacular in its day on high settings.
>>
>>51458862
Bloom a shit tho.
>>
>>51458932
You better make yourself scarce before the chinkpad fags see that post if you know what's good for you.
>>
File: IMG_0012.jpg (263 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0012.jpg
263 KB, 960x720
>>51458693

Dear friends and family, we are gathered here today in reminiscence of our dearly departed.
>>
File: IMG_0013.jpg (214 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
214 KB, 960x720
>>51458912
>>51458693

He was a brave computer, a loyal computer. All he asked was electrons and in turn he delivered happiness.
>>
>>51459023
>dat motherboard
nostalgia'd so hard
>>
>>51459023
Is that a floppy drive I see?
>>
>>51459037
>old cooler master shitPSU
>so shit that the load table is incomplete
No wonder it's dead.
>>
File: IMG_0014.jpg (270 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0014.jpg
270 KB, 960x720
>>51459023
>>51459037
>>51458948

With two hundred and fifty six megabytes of pure graphics fury, he showed us wonders previously unseen in our own mortal world.
>>
>>51459023
I miss GPUs being that size.
>>51459067
A little respect for the dead please
>>
File: IMG_0015.jpg (290 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0015.jpg
290 KB, 960x720
>>51459023
>>51459037
>>51459110

And with ear-piercing highs and earth-shaking lows, he truly delivered the thunder and majesty of the gods through his six-channel dedicated soundcard.

And in his everlasting beneficence, he allowed us to plug in legacy peripherals like old logitech joysticks so that we might bask in the glory of Tie Fighter Collector's Edition.

Thank you all for coming friends, there will be a short reception with cookies and tea in the lobby.
>>
>>51458862
>that feel when bloom lighting for first time
Godspeed OP; I mourn your loss
>>
>>51459151
That gold plated goodness

And Firewire too!
>>
That looks like an old AMD board.

If it has an Nvidia chipset, the CMOS battery WILL be dead, and it will NOT POST. Replacing the battery often revives those.
>>
>>51459175

Yeah, it's a proper Soundblaster Audigy of some sort, was like ~$100-~$150 when I bought it. Really hope it still works as it's one of the few things from ~2006 that I don't think's really been outdated.

It had a really neat driver/configuration utility where you could drag a point source in a circle around the listener's head to verify you had everything set up and balanced correctly. My xbox 360 doesn't have anything like it so standing near the preacher in Megaton is the closest thing I've been able to find.

Also it had tons of weird EQ's and IR presets so you could make it sound like you were listening to your music in a cathedral, underwater, jammy hendrix phasers etc.

The 25-pin parallel port expansion card that came with it is super useful as even back in 2006 those things were hard to find on motherboards. It was the only way I could plug in my joystick to play Tie Fighter and F-22 Raptor.
>>
>>51459296

I had an AWE32 years back, a huge ISA card.

These days, i just need a digital output and im all set.
>>
>>51459205

I'm impressed, sensei. You're correct, I'm pretty sure it was the first generation of AMD64, back then I think they had better price/performance than intel? I couldn't find any of my bulk 2032s around, but if there's a chance it'll revive it I'll go out and buy a two-pack at supermarket gauge prices.

Will probably bump in 20 min when I get back. Fingers crossed!
>>
Remember when AMD was better than Intel? Good times.
>>
>>51459445
Don't make me invest emotionally in your story and not follow through. Has computer-kun ben revived? :'(
>>
>>51459760
Also not op, from the last time I made a thread. Sorry.
>>
>>51459067
>>so shit that the load table is incomplete
Sorry to ask but English isnt perfect but what do you mean by that?
Is it the stats that are on the sticker?
Can u explain or link me a site which provide some info on this load table?
>>
>>51458551
Your supposed to water and feed it dumbass
>>
>>51458551
Yes, it can.

>Could a dead CMOS battery cause all this?

Could be.
>>
>>51459023
Such a humble PC, from the golden era.

RIP
>>
>>51459760
>>51459205

Op here. It's not to be, even with a new battery I get the same symptoms. Oh well.

also

>$8.59 for two fucking batteries god damn it CVS
>>
>>51460275
R.I.P thanks OP and sorry for your loss
>>
Is any of those motherboard condensators bloated? Do you have a spare PSU to test the components so they are getting enough power?
>>
>>51458551
>~2006 era

Reseat all of the components and check the PSU connections. Then get another PSU to check the components if you can't get it working.
>>
>>51460520

Not to be rude, but it's "capacitors", and no. Maybe they are called condensators in your language?

I have a working setup from circa ~2003 that I gave to my parents, They gradually bloated it so much throughout the years that they don't use it anymore. Next step tomorrow is probably to swap parts back and forth to see if I can isolate the problem parts.

My only current PC gaming options are a macbook pro w/intel graphics and a couple Intel Atom netbooks with Lubuntu, so it really won't take much horsepower at all to be an improvement. The mac is recent so it has decent hardware, but it's impossible to find mac torrents and some stuff just plain won't run under WINE.

I may also just go in the other direction and try to build myself a win 98/3dfx rig so I can play games from the PC dark ages.
>>
>>51459023
>built a gaming desktop in ~2006
>psu at the top of the case
>that tiny GPU

Shit, time flies.
>>
>>51460644
>Not to be rude, but it's "capacitors", and no. Maybe they are called condensators in your language?
Indeed they are. I even studied them back in 2003-2004 in school.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kondensaattori
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.