[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CIS vs CS major
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: 1438993227420.gif (199 KB, 336x468) Image search: [Google]
1438993227420.gif
199 KB, 336x468
Anyone here on the fence about CIS/MIS or getting a CS major?

I am halfway through my CIS major and I am beginning to rethink it because it's mostly business related details and less programming. The thing is that I am only 2 years away from finishing my degree in CIS and if I decide to change now I would probably end up having to spend 4 more years in school to get a CS major.

Do you guys think the change would be worth it? Or am I better off just majoring in CIS and someday getting a masters in CS?
>>
I saved that pepe.
>>
the dancing pepe derailed the thread
>>
>>51455704
dumb frogposter
>>
You could do that option of going to school again for CS.

I had a professor who did English as his bachelors and then did his Masters in CS

Of course, he's also kind of retarded, so it's your call OP.
>>
File: 1441644115130.gif (88 KB, 179x159) Image search: [Google]
1441644115130.gif
88 KB, 179x159
>>51456212
oh fuck taht would be perfect, do you know if I have to do the math for the masters program?
>>
>>51456235
Looking at my Masters Program at my Uni, it doesn't specify. So I believe no.
>>
Just learn the math. It's not that hard.
>>
>>51456056
Let me guess, you have a huge anime reaction image hoard? Kill yourself.
>>
>>51456366
Nice projection. I can use this site without dumb pictures.
>>
File: villain.jpg (682 KB, 1481x1028) Image search: [Google]
villain.jpg
682 KB, 1481x1028
is kamiya censorship better than pepe censorship family?
>>
>>51455704
>I am halfway through my CIS major and I am beginning to rethink it because it's mostly business related details and less programming.

kek

I'm 3rd semester CS and we only had programming (Java and C) in the first semester
second semester it was only a little bit of programming in java (sort algorithms, generic shit and stuff like that)
Now third semester it's again only a little bit of programming in "programming methodologies"
Profs said from beginning that we don't do a lot of programming

I'm in 3rd semester and still don't even know what to do if I would want to start a "real" project

But who needs that, I know linear algebra, analysis and group theory :)))
>>
>>51456432
>Use image board without pictures
>>
>going to school to learn programming

You already blew it senpai
>>
>>51456560
Not everyone needs to use pictures.
>>
>>51455704
stupid frogposter
>>
I'm a bio-chem major. Switched from CS.
>>
What do you want to do after you get your degree? Just work as a codemonkey?

Employers just want people who can program. Don't stress yourself out too much, man.
>>
File: 1444691503580.gif (58 KB, 752x752) Image search: [Google]
1444691503580.gif
58 KB, 752x752
>>51456349
I can learn the math. The math isn't difficult for me. The difficult thing is the fact that I will either graduate at 25 with a CIS degree or I'll be 27 with a CS when I graduate.
>>
>>51456578
I am learning to program at home, I aced my programming classes because I already knew all of that before hand... the idea is to have the degree in my pocket that companies will look better on.

>>51456736
really? so My skills as a programmer count more than the fact that I took the "easier" computer degree?
>>
I fucked up with my MIS degree.

Got good grades and still feel like a colossal failure right now. All the work I can find is either seasonal part time jobs and the odd contract job here and there.

The degree did not help much, alot of general business classes with more of a focus on management and a very light focus on databases, UML, and some really basic web dev stuff.

Im in my current situation due to the lack of serious internships I had and the relative ease of my program. While all my friends are going to graduate in 6+ plus years with CS degrees, I graduated in 4 into unemployment.

Now I'm sitting at home still on 4chan. I feel absolutely useless.

KEKED in fucking everyway.
>>
File: 1442178216155.jpg (42 KB, 508x472) Image search: [Google]
1442178216155.jpg
42 KB, 508x472
>>51456848
I am not worried about this at all, but I feel your pain.

I learned from a friend with an Information Security degree (Lol) that if you don't internship you don't get jack shit. He spent 4 years at some private school and didn't intern once, now he's working at some department store folding clothes.

So I'm not really worried because I do plan on interning before I graduate.
>>
Stay in CiS. You wont learn to be a master programmer in CS either. In both scenarios youll be doing most of your programming outside of school or you learn jack shit (unless youre at a top 50 school maybe ).

Worst case scenario youre marketable in many ways beyond just programming but you give yourself the ability and wiggle room to learn whatever else on your own.

Plenty of people currently in the field who dont even have tech related degrees at all.

Just my personal opinion - im in the IT program at my school (has a lot of programming courses) and i still write better programs than 90% of the kids on my cs101/201 classes (most are C.S majors)
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com(17).jpg (27 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(17).jpg
27 KB, 480x360
Just finish CIS and learn programming yourself. That's what I'm doing. I just attend uni for the piece of paper and the odd class where I actually learn something.
>>
>>51457169
This. No degree will get you anywhere. Its just what you do to play the game (get last hr).

Furthermore 90% of the programming you learn outside of school (your personal projects) will not even apply in the workplace.

Theyll show you how x y and z is done -- you get way less liberties than you think unless you manage yo survive as a private freelance programmer who contracts work, in which case, a degree is even less necessary for.
>>
>>51456235
CS is pretty much entirely math, so probably not.
I suppose it depends on your uni, but programming is easy to learn, especially if you already understand the basics. My CS degree only has 3 programming courses, one of which was mostly redundant, actually. After that programming is essentially a tool that you need to use in other classes. An example is learning LISP for my school's AI Class.
>>
>>51455704
Having a Degree is not really definitive employers want from their employees, what is definitive is how much experience, networking, and credentials to you have. Graduate+job related experience is the goal, but degree alone is not as important as you think.

You could easily build your resumes with projects, volunteer work, contracts to make your programming skills more relevant. Once you join communities, projects, events,etc your degree will matter less. You realize that a degree isn't what you need to a get a job in IT.

>>51456848
Don't give up.

A lot of the IT work force is actually mostly contract, and seasional jobs. If you continue to do contractor job, seasonal job, projects, join communities event, volunteer, you can eventually get something.

Internship is nothing more job related experience. You can get job related experience in many other ways.
>>
I would think you should finish your CIS degree unless you really, really, really love programming. Understand CS also has math and theory that goes beyond learning to code and not everyone enjoys that.

I make bank as an MIS major (which, depending on the curriculum, is equivalent to or similar to CIS). I do SAP consulting and holla holla make dolla.
>>
>>51456560
he said DUMB pictures, anon
>>
>>51455704
Depends what you want to do. If you want to go to grad school then yeah switch to CS. If you want to find a job and work then to employers CIS is close enough to CS that you'll get interviews. I got multiple software dev offers with my CIS degree.
>>
File: look_at_my_dumb_fucking_face.jpg (192 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
look_at_my_dumb_fucking_face.jpg
192 KB, 1920x1080
>>51455704

first post ITT

think of it like this, OP

MIS/CIS = absolutely zero respect, easy major, nobody will care, and you will probably work as a twitter account manager or something equally worthless

CS = at least it's decently complicated and you know some shit that not everyone else know and are actually worth something, even though it's still a lame degree, not nearly as lame as fucking MIS/CIS

IF I STILL HAVE NOT CONVINCED YOU YET

pic related and link related
https://www.youtube.com/user/electrickeye91

This guys name is Thomas Frank and he makes videos on youtube as a full-time job and gives talks that probably nobody goes to. This absolutely useless faggot has an MIS degree. He is the PRODUCT OF an MIS DEGREE. This is his job, making faggotry clickbait youtube videos that just masturbate motivational and "organizational tips" over and fucking over again. If you want to be a fake idiotic POS salesman literally shilling his dumb shit on youtube or some social media retardation, go into MIS/CIS.

At least with CS you'll be worth fucking anything at all and possibly have a real job doing something that possibly, maybe matters or fills your life with some sort of purpose.
>>
>>51459097
This is some fine crafted bait right here
>>
>>51459140
remember to stay mad which is pretty clear since you actually had to pull the bait card
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.