[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pc upgrade thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 449004-alienware-x51-r2.jpg (30 KB, 333x245) Image search: [Google]
449004-alienware-x51-r2.jpg
30 KB, 333x245
Unfortunately, fifteen year old me purchased one of these years ago thinking it was unstoppable and could run anything for years to come. Recently I've realized how shifty my Pc is and I'm looking to beef it up for fallout 4. The power supply on this thing is very limited and I'm pretty sure the motherboard is shit too. Should I even bother upgrading, or is there a somewhat inexpensive build that will far surpass my current setup?

Specs
Intel i3-2120 @ 3.30 ghz
4 gb ram
Nvidia GeForce gt 640

Other notes, I got a 740 on the uniting heaven benchmark 4, and I want something that'll either last me a few years, or be easily upgradeable unlike the piece of shit I have.
>>
Upgrading that thing would be a waste of money. You might be able to use the ram and hard drive in a new build, but I would suggest selling the computer as a whole and putting the money towards a new build.
Check out http://www.logicalincrements.com/
>>
>>51455522
>I'm looking to beef it up for fallout 4.
fallout 4 literally has the same graphics quality as fallout 3. On the 360.
>>
>>51455522
You could slap a 750ti in there for like $100
>>
>>51455622

This. I actually think a 950 is the highest OP can go.

Full disclosure: I have one of these, but I got it for free. Form factor is awesome, but itse never going to be a powerhouse.

OP, your CPU is a bit shit though. I'd go for a 750 TI and settle for console-tier.
>>
Im not even for certain it won't run fallout 4, I used to run new Vegas with a shut ton of mods and texture packs on this thing fine. If I was to buy a new one, are there any cheap builds you guys would recommend?
>>
>>51455684
I was thinking of upgrading the ram to 8gb just bc four is kinda shitty, but would just throwing the 750ti in there even do me that much good?
>>
>>51455522

>Two 4GB sticks of 1333 or 1600MHz DDR3
>GTX 750 Ti

Should be like $170.
>>
>>51455722

Check YouTube for 750 Ti and 4gb. They probably run i3s. 8GB is a good idea, but the GPU is most important. Don't spend to much though.
>>
>>51455741
Will doing this still give me results despite my shitty cpu? I'm not looking for anything that's gonna run me ultra at 90fps, I just want something that can run new games smoothly on high or medium graphics.
>>
>>51455828
Yeah you'll be fine.

750ti isn't really going to be bottle necked by an i3 and most games are optimised like shit so they only ever use one or two cores really.
>>
>>51455921

Plushe has 4 threads, which has been proven useful for some games. You're looking at 1080p/60 and medium-low settings or 900p/30 and high-ultra OP. You should find a good balance at around console levels.

I haven't upgrade my X51 yet, but eventually I'm getting a 750 Ti or 950.
>>
Alright thanks guys you've been really helpful. One last question, what do I need to check for compatibility with before I purchase the 750 ti? Power supply, motherboard, anything else?
>>
>>51455596
Someone has a shitty pc then
>>
>>51456141

Oh actually, you need to update your X51 bios to A13 I think. Google it.
>>
>>51457134
Why would I need to do that? What exactly is that?
>>
>>51457244

Compatibility with the 750 Ti. As long as you're one A07 though, you can do it with a USB stick.

Not technically difficult, but not mom-tier stuff. You can't be an idiot, but it's not hard to look it up. Just check for software details on the Dell site and I think there are directions for how to make a bootable USB.
>>
>>51457244

Since you seem technically inept, I'll give you some advice:

>Check your computers current BIOS version in the regular control panel: system information place.
>If it's A06 or below, you might have a tough time. The only option is a BIOS update through Windows, which can fail and brick you mobo.

>If you're on A07, they you can create a bootable USB with the BIOS update software. This is safer but still a little risky if your power goes out during the process.
>If you are on A07, DO NOT rely on the exe to update your BIOS. It's not worth the risk.

I'll be honest. I broken my first X51 mobo trying to update the BIOS in Windows. I had to get a new one from eBay for $100 and luckily it was on A07. I haven't tried to update it since then, but I think it's easier with a USB. Still a little complex and risky. Dell are annoying with their propriety motherboard. If you break the mobo, it's a good idea to just build a new computer reusing the CPU, HD, and RAM. Yeah, kind of annoying.
>>
>>51455522
Whats pretty inexpensive to you?
A decent comp in US prices will cost about $400, a good comp $600-700, a great one $1000.
>>
>>51455596
aylmao
>>
Believe it or not this pc was 700 I believe when I bought it, but I had no idea how to build one so I didn't really have a lot of options. I understand a lot better than I did, but mostly just with stuff I've personally had to deal with, so the compabitibilty and bios stuff is kind of over my head. Id rather upgrade than by a new pc, but if mine is beyond saving anything around 750 that would last me four or more years would work
>>
>someone unironically owns an ayyliumware on /g/
>they post a tech support thread despite it violating the sticky
>not a single post ITT telling them to kill themselves

what happened /g/?
>>
>>51458478
The power brick, shit cpu, and form factor will be too much of a limitation. At best you could buy a new compatible low power gpu like a 750 ti to stretch it out six months.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GQxwWZ
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/shxwWZ

Those are my suggestions for a new comp that will last you awhile.
>>
sell it to one of your dumb friends
>>
Is this the guts thread or a mere imitation?
>>
>>51458979
>>51459056
Like I said, the alienware was a mistake made in my youth. Are there any other low power consuming gpus out there?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.