[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>user has no control over updates Who was the fucknut at Microsoft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6
File: Windows10_1.jpg (624 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Windows10_1.jpg
624 KB, 1920x1080
>user has no control over updates
Who was the fucknut at Microsoft who though this was a good idea?
>>
It's a rolling release.
>>
>>51454141
It is a good idea, because 99% of people who use Windows are normies and if they're given control over updates they'll fuck up. For example, botnets (the real ones, not the retraded meaning /g/ gave to that word) exist solely based on the fact that retarded normies don't update their OSes to plug the security holes.

You non-normie "power-user" autosts can still disable automatic updates by either getting the pro/enterprise version or by stopping the update services and some registry tweaks (which is kid's play to a power user).
>>
>>51454201
But you still can't choose which updates to install or not.
>>
>>51454141
It is a good idea because faggots like you would get all the regular people to turn them off and they would get owned. If you weren't such a retard you would know how to disable all this.
>>
>>51454201
so what about updates that brick your system?
>>
>>51454223
Yes, you can. There's a standalone tool to hide individual updates, you can download the .exe (or .msi, I don't remember) from Microsoft's site.

It's called literally "Show or hide updates".
>>
>>51454141

Because Windows is for plebs. MS knows that their customers aren't the smartest (gamers etc)
>>
>>51454223
What you actually mean is that you don't know how, not that he doesn't. Your fishing.
>>
File: up.png (65 KB, 1229x953) Image search: [Google]
up.png
65 KB, 1229x953
>>51454246
?
>>
>>51454272
Only works for drivers
>>
>>51454246
Refer to >>51454272
>>
>>51454233
The problem isn't about enabling/disabling automatic updates. The problem is about having no control over which updates will be installed, as well as deciding when to download them or not.
This shit is a step down from Windows 8. Fucking windows 8
>>
>>51454283
So what happened to "updates are always on forever because lolsecurity"?
>>
>>51454201
>>51454201
>>51454201
>>51454201

this. people don't seem to get it. /g/ in particular struggles with the idea.
>>
>not using Enterprise
Home and Pro are for normie idiots now
>>
>>51454272
why is this not so well known about?
>>
>>51454317
Because it doesn't actually do what he says it does
>>
>>51454275
I know right. They aren't elite hardcore fizzbuzz hackerz like you.
>>
>>51454317
Because
>having to install extra shit to get a basic feature
>>
>>51454201
This post right here is almost word-for-word what I was going to write when I saw this thread. Saved me the trouble.
>>
>>51454283
>bricked
>>
>>51454375
F8 or Shift + F8

Uninstall all updates.

Done.
>>
>>51454201
you have to put a lot of faith in the software authors that they won't mess up on their end. A bad update could easily wreck a system
>>
>>51454141
People who defer critical and security updates drag the entire ecosystem and spread vulnerabilities. Since Windows 10 is integrating pc, tablet and phone, everyone must be on the same page to protect other users and prevent compatibility issues due to version mismatch.
>>
>>51454392
>uninstall all of them
>unable to choose which one to uninstall
Bravo Microsoft.
>>
>>51454141
great idea. You can't trust the users into doing updates whatsoever.

Why do you assume the best for the hoi polloi? You are delusional, OP.
>>
Part of the point of the Windows Insider program is to beta-test updates.
>>
>>51454415
wut
Have you ever used Windows Update in the last couple of years?
>>
>>51454440
Windows 10 as a whole is just a beta-testing program
>>
>>51454450
Windows 10 is a shift to a rolling release cycle. It's meant to be unfinished and they never hid this when it was announced on September 30, 2014.

Redstone will make it more solid, though. We'll finally have an OS-wide dark/light theme along other stuff like improved Continuum.
>>
File: Smug Anime Face -Smug Cat Face.jpg (26 KB, 604x499) Image search: [Google]
Smug Anime Face -Smug Cat Face.jpg
26 KB, 604x499
>>51454295
Just because you don't know how doesn't mean it can't be done. This "I'm going to get people to help me by saying its impossible" won't work with me. People who can't use a search engine are lost causes.
>>
>>51454477
Ya know I just built my new rig yesterday and am day 2 of working on Win10 and it DID feel super unpolished to me. Like little things. I have an Xbone too and the Win10 update to that feels unplished as fuck. I was wondering about that shit, those fuckers, makes me wanna go back to Win7
>>
>>51454141
>windows xp thru 8.1
>uniformed non-technical users have control over when to apply security updates
Who was the fucknut at Microsoft who thought this was a good idea
>>
>>51454523
Uninformed*
Thanks windo
>>
>>51454141
if you really want control over updates you would use wsus
>>
>>51454523
You mean "Windows 98 through 8.1". Microsoft first added Windows Update in Windows 98 and they also allowed Windows 95 and NT 4.0 users to download updates from the web site.
>>
>>51454477
maybe at that point it will be complete and you can choose to turn off updates with out going through tweaking registries and stuff.
>>
>>51454332
Yes they are not.

Enjoy the badger I placed into you execution emulator. A64_86 :)

Don't skip town..
>>
>>51454561
I doubt they'll do this. They did this for a reason, and for Enterprise use there's WSUS.
>>
>>51454541
Wow.
>>
>>51454591
>>51454541
neat
>>
>>51454583
>>
So I'm the guy who is using Win10 for the first time after building my new machine yesterday. So I just installed Steam and it looks like Microshit default DNS was jacked up. My Steam client couldn't talk out to update and wouldn't run. After a bunch of troubleshooting it looks like this must've started a few hours ago. Reddit of all places suggested switching to Google DNS which I had yet to do on this new build. Sure enough that did the trick. Fucking Microshit, this stuff is unacceptable if you ask me.
>>
>>51454201
>botnets (the real ones, not the retraded meaning /g/ gave to that word) exist solely based on the fact that retarded normies don't update their OSes to plug the security holes.

Wrong.
Most botnet exist because retards install them manually and because Windows doesn't have any proper sandboxing.
>>
>>51454864
what the fuck are you talking about, windows just uses whatever DNS you're given based on DHCP. Blame your ISP
>>
>>51454201
why the fuck they don't use UAC, kernel sandbox, jailroot and all that linux/bsd bullshit that tin-foil hat evryone is shilling?
>>
>>51454864
Your default DNS is set by your router settings ie your ISP, dipshit.
>>
>>51454201
>For example, botnets exist solely based on the fact that retarded normies don't update their OSes to plug the security holes.
[Citation Fucking Needed]

Automatic updates are enabled by default in Windows. That means that the tech-illiterate Joe you are talking about has to go into the control panel and manually turn it off, also accepting the UAC prompt that appears. The people who you are talking about are too dumb to do that.

>>51454272
That's only temporary, and according to some users the tool no longer works after the latest update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
>To TEMPORARILY prevent the driver or update from being reinstalled until a new driver or updated fix is available, a troubleshooter is available that provides a user interface for hiding and showing Windows Updates and drivers for Windows 10. You can obtain and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter by downloading it from the Microsoft Download Center.
>>
>>51454141
>biggest issue with OS now is updates

wow, freetards on suicide watch
>>
>>51454201
This a hundred times. The average retard should be given the option to disable updates.

>"Anon, please fix my computer!"
>Open Windows Update, activate it, 200 updates to download
What was the last time you updated it?
>"I disabled updates, they were so annoying..."

Every time.
>>
>>51457847
*shouldn't
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.