[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>yfw you realize C# was meant to be (C++)++
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: 1448111406667.png (5 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
1448111406667.png
5 KB, 375x375
>yfw you realize C# was meant to be (C++)++
>>
Ok i know this sounds retarded but what's actual differente betweem c# and c++?
I only know c++.
>>
>>51452901
Mind actually blown
>>
>>51452916
C# is a .net language means it's compiles for . net framework to run it. While C++ runs natively.
But C# is what we call a high level language while C++ can be used as a high a well as medium level coding.
Also c# is a direct counterpart of Java so you don't have to worry about pointers and memory management. It's actually the fixed version of Java.
Once you go c# you can't go back.
>>
>>51452916
C# is managed code
>>
>>51452916
C# is Java done better.
>>
Why use anything other than c++
>>
>>51452962
C# has pointers though doesnt it..
>>
>>51452916
C# is Microsoft Java
>>
>>51452901
Programming in C# is eons more cozy than progamming in C++.
>>
>>51452962
>Once you go c# you can't go back.
I actually did, learned C# as first language but coded Java ever since cause I just needed the ecosystem. Can't understand C# people whining about Java, its not that different.
>>
>>51452962
>Once you go c# you can't go back.

this is true. enjoy spending two weeks doing something in C++ that takes two days in C#.

no really, that's the difference, I had a work assignment and I could whip out a halfassed windows software in two days that just werks, while this guy whipped out a worse halfassed crashing steaming pile of C++ 10 days later.

so enjoy your 90s hacklanguage while I'm enjoying life.
>>
>>51452916

C# is Microsoft's attempt to "modernise" and standardise C++.

It's basically C++ except it runs in a huge complicated Microsoft runtime environment. It compiles to a fluffy Microsoft Intermediate Language thing instead of right down to byte code or machine code or whatever it is C++ compiles to (been a while since CS 101). It introduces certain higher level features.

It's actually a very nice, standardised, well documented language to work with. It doesn't have the crazy mess of shit for historical / backward compatible / tacking on new features, reasons that C++ does.

Obviously it's more modern and slightly higher level, and runs in the .NET framework, so the downside is you can only do what Microsoft lets you and it's not as fast. But it's not Java or Python by any means. It does compile and create fast tailored code. Just not bare on the metal playing with pointers like C.
>>
>>51453085
.NET is open-source, Anon.
>>
>>51452994
>C# has pointers though doesnt it..

It does but you have to go well out of your way to use them explicitly bypassing lot's of shit, and there's little gain.

They're not an integral part of the language like C.

Instead certain things are just passed "by reference" by default, and the stuff that isn't can be by use of the "ref" keyword.
>>
>>51453116

I wasn't implying you're locked in. Just that Microsoft created the runtime environment and Microsoft created the IL.

Also I did see that people have ported .NET to Linux and whatever, but I never used it. I assumed it was an amateurish "for fun" thing and that there's little point actually using it. If you want portability don't write your program in C#.
>>
>>51452962
>>51452967
>>51452977
>>51452995
>>51453085
Fuck, i hate pointers. Guess this means I'll go right now and study c#.

Also why the fuck are y'all so polite?
>>
>>51453085
C# is slower than Java.
>>
>>51453152
But Mono is no longer really necessary.
>>
>>51453223
[Citation required]
>>
>>51453200
Because we're C# Devs, also great for rapid development in gaming
>>
>>51453085
Nah, C# is much more Microsoft's copy of Java with .NET being the copy of the JVM.

They first had their own custom version of Java, called "Visual J++". But they couldn't do any changes or additions to the language without Sun sueing their asses of, so they came up with C# instead.

It's one of the better designed general purpose languages out there, primiarly because Anders Hejlsberg really knows what he's doing.
>>
>>51452962
I learned C# in university and used it for 3 years.
But for the past 2 years or so I haven't used anything but C++ and I quite like it.
Yeah it's more tedious, but I like working close to the metal.
>>
>>51453223
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/u64q/csharp.html
>>
I really was happy when I stopped doing C/C## and went right to C#.

C# is backed by a real business, unlike C++, which is just neets living with their mom.

C# projects are actually succesful. I don't think a C++ project has ever been completed before in the history of earth.

Frankly, I hope for .NET's success, if it can ruin the day of autistic man children wasting away vital efforts on archaic languages.

My favorite feature of C# is it drains the attention and oxygen away from C and C++.

You can also program Haskell. Which is a bug-free language.
>>
>>51453521
Mono is a .NET clone made by NEETs get some proper comparisons.
>>
>>51453537
This is bait.
>>
>>51453389
If you develop in Unity, kill yourself. Even worse then UE3
>>
>>51453223
Java is the slowest language by default because simply starting a Java program takes 2-3 seconds.
>>
>>51453537
>C# projects are actually succesful

Microsoft coded Visual Studio in C#. It's a slow buggy piece of shit.

Microsoft also commissioned a brand new OS built from the ground up, and tried to do in C#. To see if starting fresh would be better than the constant evolution with legacy code that is current Windows. They gave up cos it was unworkable.

They also tried to write MS Office in C# but it was shit and slow, so they switched back to C++
>>
>>51453584

What is a good game framework?

You can use JavaScript in UE
>>
>>51453584
I develop in Unity both on personal projects and professionally. If you're not going to roll an in house engine. It's the best one out there.
>>
>>51453609
Windows Runtime (WinRT) [NOT Windows RT] is also C++.
>>
>>51453613
The performance is shit.
>>
>>51453640
You obviously don't know what you are talking about if you just spit out this accusations like without backing it up with any facts. What specifically do you know that makes the performance "shit"?
>>
>>51453716
The fact that I can "feel" it when Unity is used is fucking hilarious. There are no games that require much resources based on Unity because the shitty engine can't handle it.

Hell most patch notes on 5.x have performance increases in them that promise "it'll be fixed now, promise!!"
>>
>>51453537
top kek!
>>
those faggots who say c# is slow never heard about .net native.c# in windows 10 gets compiled to native code just like c++.even more they use their c++ optimizer for optimizing the native c# code.stop standing in the way of future oldfags.
>>
>>51453613
Unreal Engine
>>
>>51452901
Garbage collection is a fucking retarded design
>>
>>51453200
They've sucked so many horsecocks their hearts are filled with rainbow cum.
>>
>>51453613
>Unity
>Professionally
Kill yourself and your close family
>>
File: 1350237286281.jpg (275 KB, 648x540) Image search: [Google]
1350237286281.jpg
275 KB, 648x540
>>51453959
>>
>>51454148
Hey making 70k a year
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-21-18-02-01.png (95 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-21-18-02-01.png
95 KB, 1080x1920
>>51454182
Wow 70k, please stop I'm dying.
I'm making €85k with Php. But that's off-topic.
Idk why but unity (The free version) seems to be really slow and is used too much by amateurs and lazy assholes, that it's got an exaggeratedly bad reputation. It's actually pretty ok for light stuff. The paid pro version seems promising though. But it doesn't seem close to UE4 at all. Ue4 is more difficult though. Cryengine is pretty nice too, but it's harder than UE and a lot harder than Unity. So basically Unity free is shit, unity pro seems decent, Ue4 is pretty much the best option, cryengine is basically on-par with ue4 but even harder. And there's source 2, but I don't know much about that. In the end most amateur devs (teams) who want to turn a profit choose the cheapest, and after realizing it's shit, they quit or they pay the price to use a more expensive engine.
>>
>>51453118
Interesting. Thanks
>>
>>51453927
If, what your saying about windows 10, is true, that's really a game changer. I love C# cause anything you write in it, the source code always makes sense and is readable.
>>
>>51453541
Mono merged big parts of the .NET framework
>>
>>51453927
If, what your saying about windows 10, is true, that's really a game changer. I love C# cause anything you write in it, the source code always makes sense and is readable. >>51456328
Also, MS is finally going open source with all of their shit and it's possible to see a full version of .net framework running on Loonux.
>>
>>51453584
What's wrong with unity and unreal? I've had some school projecs with those.
>>
>>51456353
>the source code always makes sense and is readable
I have worked on one enterprise client written in c#, it was horrible spaghetti code. C# doesn't make your code automatically more readable.
>>
>the moment when you relize that # shouldn't be called hashtag but 4 plus
>>
>All these street shitters being Microsoft shills
>>
>>51452901
Who uses c# except young win10/unity3d fags?
Since it's a fucking easy language why not but I think there are better things to do...
>>
File: 1442625558624.jpg (103 KB, 476x648) Image search: [Google]
1442625558624.jpg
103 KB, 476x648
>>51453223
Source? Because I've literally heard that C# runs as fast as native code (somehow)
>>
>>51458858
OK, I looked it up and "raw" C# runs equivalent to native code, but it becomes slightly slower from all of the frameworks and assorted bullshit you can add onto it. But the VM miraculously doesn't affect performance.
>>
>>51456758
>C hashtag
>>
>>51452901

In 1983, the name of the language was changed from C with Classes to C++. The ++ operator in the C language is an operator for incrementing a variable, which gives some insight into how Stroustrup regarded the language. Many new features were added around this time, the most notable of which are virtual functions, function overloading, references with the & symbol, the const keyword, and single-line comments using two forward slashes (which is a feature taken from the language BCPL).
>>
File: 1445959089118.png (479 KB, 499x528) Image search: [Google]
1445959089118.png
479 KB, 499x528
>>51458771
It's widely used in enterprise because corpos loves to use agile methodologies in development. Well made test and debugging tools, loads of free open source nuget packages to avoid rewrite code for exisiting functions and real OOP(not like in java) allows to create systems that are easy to change and any stage of development and cheap in maintaining. With webapi2 server side applications are easy to do as hell, mvc.net provides front. It's just cheaper to program in C# for companies because you can do more, faster and in better to manage way in the same amount of time. Because that things small lacks in performance in comparison with C or bare assembly is not relevant at all.
>>
>>51453224
As of when? I haven't been keeping up with c#
>>
>>51454612
Comparing salaries across different countries is kinda retarded because you guys pay totally different taxes, but that's none of my business.
>>
>>51458771
C# is still very popular because computers are fast. Getting people to write software for you is expensive, so if you can reduce the amount of time it takes them to do it that saves you a lot of money.

The majority of software just needs to accomplish a task. Highly efficient, ultra-fast software is almost a niche market.
>>
in music, a sharp note is half tone over the current note

so, c++ is c+1, meaning D

C# is c+0.5
>>
File: benchmarks.gif (95 KB, 1200x635) Image search: [Google]
benchmarks.gif
95 KB, 1200x635
>>51458858
>>51453302
>>51453598
Microsoft forbids to benchmark .NET and compare it with other products in the EULA, therefore you won't find hardly proper benchmarks that compare both runtimes. This has probably changed when .NET went open source, but because of this long period of this restriction there aren't much benchmarks.

The benchmarks from credible sources that do exist (which are JVM vs Mono) show that C# is significantly slower than Java.

There are still a few benchmarks floating around on blogs that compare JVM with .NET, and basically Java on Linux performs better than *any* C# runtime (.NET and Mono) that is available. The exception is Windows, on which Java seems slightly worse, which is probably mainly due to the fact that .NET is heavily optimized for Windows and uses native libraries, while Java isn't optimized for any platform.

In practice, you will just run your Java application on a Linux server and it will perform better than the .NET application.
>>
>>51453200
Pointers are awesome, and they're the basis behind real understanding of memory management in a programming environment.
>>
>>51453753
OK buddy, you can stop pretending you know what you're talking about.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.