[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
my computer started fucking up recently. i wanted to see if it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: what.png (56 KB, 802x586) Image search: [Google]
what.png
56 KB, 802x586
my computer started fucking up recently. i wanted to see if it just needed updated drivers or something but i found out it's listing two processors in the device manager. is my laptop kill?
>>
Gee Bill, two processors?
>>
File: Clipboard01.png (3 KB, 229x206) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01.png
3 KB, 229x206
>>51448340
Grayed-out means the system saw it before but it's not installed now. Did you upgrade or overclock your CPU? Right click the grayed out bullshit ones and uninstall them. Or uncheck this box to hide them. Or ignore them because they're not hurting anything.
>>
>>51448340
Damn dude, I wish my laptop had 2 processors.
>>
>>51448340
>>51448361
>>51448494
That are cores you dumbasses
>>
>>51448494
OP would appear to have either upgraded an i7-4710HQ to an i7-5700HQ or moved his drive to a different laptop. Or possibly his OEM made a Windows 8.1 image on a i7-4710HQ system and then used the image on his i7-5700HQ, leaving the old device entries for the system they imaged it on (this is sloppy and means they did things kinda wrong). Both are quad core and hyperthreaded, so 8 logical processors appear in device manager for each.
>>
>>51448529
it's a chink brand, and it's the "pro" model of one of their laptops, so that makes sense. i'll just send it back on warranty and hope they fix it or send back a non-fucked up one
>msi
>quality
>>
>>51448830
If they're imaging them that way, returning it won't do anything for you other than spend time and shipping money.

While it's a sloppy way to image laptops, it's nothing to worry about and shouldn't affect anything. Also, after about a month, Windows 8.1 should delete the bogus devices since that's what it does if it hasn't seen a device for a while.
>>
>>51448875
>Also, after about a month, Windows 8.1 should delete the bogus devices since that's what it does if it hasn't seen a device for a while.
source?
>>
File: Untitled.png (71 KB, 1275x590) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
71 KB, 1275x590
>>51448914
This scheduled task here.
>>
>>51448509
>literally retarded
>>
>>51448989 again
Also I notice that if I don't plug in a device for a while, it does the "installing device driver software" thing again. One time it also killed off the "fn" key state setting I had for the USB keyboard I use with my laptop.
>>
>>51448361
subtlest of posts. toppest of keks.
>>
>>51448989
damn, microsoft just decided to start letting windows W R E K your shit. it's like they don't even think stuff through these days
>>
>>51448989
slut
>>
>>51449024
I fail to see the issue here. It beats having your registry slowly fill up with tons of entries for every random USB thing you've ever plugged into your laptop, as I've observed happen on XP.

If I borrow a mouse or USB stick from a friend to use for a half hour, I don't need the driver for that and the record of its existence to stay on my laptop for years.
>>
>>51448529
>>51448875
Wait, can you change which processor WDS installs? As far as I was aware WDS automatically deploys drivers based on hardware unless specified otherwise, and thats only if you include drivers.
>>
File: 1430126032768.jpg (8 KB, 161x160) Image search: [Google]
1430126032768.jpg
8 KB, 161x160
>>51448509
Goddamn moron
>>
>>51449634
Processors use generic drivers.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.