[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Absolute noobs in programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: 1431727797897.jpg (149 KB, 1280x849) Image search: [Google]
1431727797897.jpg
149 KB, 1280x849
I know you're probably tired of hearing this, but how do you start into programming, what things do I need to know before actually getting into typing shit and where do I find these things?
>>
shialabeouf.jpg
>>
Go do project euler problems or some shit; solve them in your own made up pseudocode. Once you learn to solve problems with algorithms you're ready to learn a programming language which will allow you to implement your algorithms.

Do NOT just go start learning a language when you don't even know how to program or it will end up just being a hobby for you and you'll never do anything useful with it
>>
>>51447852
I recommend starting with x86 assembly.
>>
>>51447942
But how do I solve them? I mean do I need a program or something? :/ Seriously I don't know shit
>>
1. We have programming generals literally at any time of time. Use the fucking catalog.

2. This could not be a more google-it question. Just fucking using google and get these shitty 5th grade questions out of here.
>>
>>51447852
learn the basics on python and then move to a better language
>>
File: 1121150032 (Large).jpg (235 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1121150032 (Large).jpg
235 KB, 1920x1080
>>51448089
You can solve them on pen and paper using English.
Did a quick, non-great solution to a problem for you:
https://projecteuler.net/problem=13

Just literally write out how you'd solve the problem by hand. Once you get good at this, you can start to learn a language. At that point you'll simply be translating your English into that language which is usually a very simple process.

Note, my solution here wasn't very exact and would need more detail to be exactly translated to a computer language but it's more or less what you should be doing.
>>
>>51448089
ok you have two items, and you want to swap their names. but they instantly forget their old name when you give them a new name. you have an unlimited amount of items at your disposal, but you need to swap these two item's names

what do you do? this is the premise of a very common algorithm
>>
>>51448218
>what do you do?
Give up and let someone else do it for me
>>
>>51448218
Holy shit I'm I retarded or just need some more sleep hours, Im fucking trying to solve this with pens and markers on a table, swaping their names in a cycle
>>
>>51448265
*am *am

Holy shit I'm going to bed
>>
>>51448265
Keep thinking on it. It is actually quite fundamental; the kind of thinking you'll need to do to program.

One word of advice for you: the solution is very simple. Always aim for the simplest solution as it's usually the best
>>
>>51448304
I don't get it, can I just name one item pen an the other pencil?

Say I have a pencil and a pen, and I need to swap their names. So what do I just swap'em?
>>
>>51448218

push name1 onto the stack

take item1 and give it item2's name

pop name1 off the stack and give it to item2
>>
>>51448304
Is there any due process to follow?
>>
>>51447852
Google *programming language x* tutorials

Python is good for beginners, also C
>>
>>51448368
He said you have unlimited items, so say you have your two items:
x is named nigger
y is named nigger2

To switch the names, you could name z nigger2 then name y nigger then name x whatever you had named z (nigger2)
>>
>>51447952
best advice, learn with the basics then you can build up to more abstract languages like fortran or cobol
>>
>>51448376
>>51448397
Ohh ok, I thought of the unlimited items as individuals, like infinite individual items, not like in a stash.
>>
>>51448157
You have piss poor handwriting, anon.
>>
>>51448483
1. I'm not anon
2. It's fine, the paper was folded and hard to write on
>>
>>51447852

You read a book
>>
>>51448538
Like programming for dummies?
>>
If you want to make a career out of programming, I advise against these coding challenges. They really are distant from what real coding is like. Real coding is more about having a huge project that must work with many little parts, and most of the challenge is getting those little parts to work together and being skilled with the tools you're expected to work with for the project (i.e. a company's choice ide, code coverage tools, language, framework, packages, etc.) Rarely is programming as a job about solving difficult algorithmic problems, that's a smaller part for sure.

I recommend that to combine learning and having fun, you try to code something actually useful to you or something you want to write. Try coding up a mod to a video game, or try making a little program to help you do something (maybe a small widget that converts time, or alerts you when something happens, or does your math homework for you).

If you don't think you're at that stage yet, go through a beginner book on programming in the language of your choice, and you could follow through with some other key subjects like data structures.
>>
>>51447852
Lynda.com
^:)
>>
>>51448585
Gee thanks, will do.
>>
>>51447852
I started by looking at other people's autohotkey scripts and modifying them
Eventually I learned C#
No regrets
>>
>>51448122
Python allows you to take shortcuts that other languages don't allow you to take. It might be better to learn a shitty language like Java or C++ first, then you can appreciate the higher level aspects of Python without being limited by them.
>>
>>51448585
This is good advice for learning how to actually program, but actually getting a job in programming requires learning shitty "whiteboard-style" algorithms problems... you should probably do them on the side but also work on real projects.
>>
>playing with snow
>while transporting jews to their deaths

Why were nazis so kawaii?
>>
Am I the only one in here

Who can't have a good night sleep while on a development project?
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.