[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Update from yesterday's thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10
File: 35-103-182-TS[1].jpg (18 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
35-103-182-TS[1].jpg
18 KB, 300x225
I know most of you don't care, but in case there's some few of you who do, here's an update. Yesterday I posted a thread asking for help about my computer overheating. I thought it was the power supply. I was wrong, though, apparently my CPU fan went bad.

Pic related, I've got a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 that I let the salesman upsell me on when I built this rig 18 months ago. The fan's supposed to be rated at 40,000 hours. Apparently not. Something's stiff in the bearings making it not spin as readily as it used to. Oh well.

The thing is, that 212 has this massive heat sink stack with no screw holes, so the fan has these brackets that snap onto the heat sink. I went to the store and talked to the guys about picking up a new fan with the brackets, since taking the whole heat sink out would be a real pain in the ass. They told me they don't sell fans like that, so I could either take the brackets off my broken fan and put it on a new one, or I could buy a new heatsink/fan combo and just use the fan out of it. I opted for both, figuring at least one would work.

Well, I'm glad I did that, because it turned out that I picked up the Cooler Master Hyper T2 instead of the 212, and the brackets don't fit my stack!

I managed to install the other fan, though, and booted up. Seems to be working fine for now. I'm already running ~10C less at nominal load than I was yesterday. I guess the heat sink is just so great, and my case cooling environment is so thorough, that I could run without a functioning CPU fan yesterday until I put it under heavy load.

It's time for the moment of truth now, though. I'm going to load the processor and see how the new fan responds. Wish me luck.
>>
Dude that heat sink isn't that expensive, if it's on the blink then just buy another.
They're like $40 and buy it off amazon so it'll arrive quickly and you get a guarantee
>>
>>51445837
Yeah, you're right. The heat sink is fine, though. It's the fan that has problems.

I don't even really need a new fan. I just need another set of the little snap brackets that seem ONLY to come in that combo box. So I'm basically paying $40 for these little plastic snaps that probably cost $0.10 to make, just because they're the specific right size to fit on the damn heat sink stack.
>>
>>51445866
I do see where you are coming from, however I think you can buy the fan as a unit ..

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-20PK-R2/dp/B005O65JXI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448075060&sr=8-1&keywords=hyper+evo+212+fan+replacement

yeah it's $26.99 here I wouldn't worry too much I'd just get another
>>
>>51445942
Thanks for the link. Maybe I'll buy it, but I think I may have solved my problem here already. Conceivably I could run redundant CPU fans. One on either side of the stack, both blowing in one direction (so one is a vent, the other exhaust). Would make things tasty for overclocking.

I'll probably just take the T2 back to the store tomorrow and be done with it all, though.
>>
File: Capture.png (75 KB, 748x575) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
75 KB, 748x575
>>51445983
Yeah I see where you're coming from, hopefully it works
I had the same unit, I felt it was a bit fiddly to get it on but I didn't have any problems with it.
I ended up going with a liquid cooler and went total NZXT fag on my pc.
Ended up getting a kraken x41 and a Phantom 510 case
Keeps it all nice and cool
>>
>>51446049
I've always wanted to go water cooled, but I'm paranoid of leaks. Of course, I would do it the old skool way: with aquarium tubing, and everything 100% custom.

Still... 13C on a Haswell i5. You're an absolute madman, you know that?
>>
>>51445796
Why wouldn't you just take the brakets off of that one and get a better fan?
>>
>>51445796
>they don't sell 120mm fans
Top fucking kek, what kind of retard are you? What kind of retard store is that?
>>
>>51446116
It's not that bad, the nzxt stuff quite nicely if I'm honest.
What makes me so mad? Sitting @4.4GHz, 1.25V
>>
>>51446148
That's what I did.
>>51446156
They sell fans. They don't sell the bracket, except as part of the package with the same heat sink.
>>51446164
Hey, I guess that's the way to go. If it were me, though, if I wanted to spend so much on a cooling solution, I would also want to get the fastest processor out there, just to push all the limits.
>>
>>51446285
But dummy, the bracket screws onto the fan, and simply snaps onto the heatsink. You never needed a bracket. You just needed a fan.

Why are retarded people all over /g/ now?
>>
>>51446285
what processor do you have? I think the Haswell i5 ain't so bad
I had a fx8350 and never, ever again
>>
>>51446301
Alright, then how else do you suppose I should attack the fan to the heat sink? Rubber bands? Superglue?
>>
>>51446307
Haswell i5 is pretty good. I'm running a 4770k myself. I dunno about your experience with AMD, but they'll always have a soft spot in my heart. I had an AMD Athlon Thunderbird that slaughtered intel chips of the same generation.

Oh well. Times change, I suppose.
>>
File: IMG_0496.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0496.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51446398
The Evo 212 comes with additional mounting brackets for another fan, I'm guessing you threw the box away didn't you? Ask Coolermaster if they sell replacements.

>pic related, screws are under the rubber rectangles
>>
>>51446467
No it doesn't. I have the box right here. Documents, yes. Brackets, no.
>>
>>51446539
You must have accidentally thrown them out or something then, just reuse the brackets on the broken fan then.
>>
>>51446467
how are they corsair fans holding up? I've got noctua fans on mine and they're really quiet
>>
>>51446572
I was an idiot and accidentally got the voltage model, they run at 100% all the time because my motherboard doesn't have any fan controlling hardware. Admittedly they were semi-quiet even when running at full but I'm planning on buying Noctua's as well for my new radiator.
>>
>>51446550
That's what I did.

I accidentally snapped off one corner, though. The thing is much more brittle than it looks. So now my new fan is only holding on by 3 of the hooks, which makes it rattle. This is not ideal.
>>
File: nvidiots.png (560 KB, 645x984) Image search: [Google]
nvidiots.png
560 KB, 645x984
>>51446597
Time for cable ties then
>>
Are you a dumb cunt?
The 'bracket' screws into the fucking 120mm fan. You literally unscrew the little plastic shits, screw them into a new fan and snap it into place.
This isn't even 'tech' shit, this is fucking common sense.
>>
>>51446609
What the fuck am I lookin at?
>>
>>51446609
I'm thinking of using plastic cement to put the bracket back together.
>>
>>51446648
I think the point is that the guy is bleeding edge. He modified his GEForce 970 with a water cooler, only to ditch it to upgrade to the 980, which isn't really all that much better.

Only thing it's missing is SLI.
>>
File: before you do this no.jpg (315 KB, 1920x1044) Image search: [Google]
before you do this no.jpg
315 KB, 1920x1044
>>51446637
Are you, by chance, Australian?
>>
Good fucking lord.. would seem there are more and more numpties not just on /g/, but most other tech forums as well. You buy a new 120mm fan, PWM or not, remove bracket from old fan, mount to new fan, mount new fan to heatsink.

Not fucking hard.
>>
File: Capture.png (357 KB, 506x661) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
357 KB, 506x661
>>51446714
Oh, he has that too now as well.
>>
>>51446732
Don't worry bro, next week we'll tell them all about how to install an SSD when you don't have a 2.5" adapter bracket
>>
>>51446753
lol, typical. At least he's not goofing around with some crazy waterpipe setup on SLI.

Actually, I would love to see someone try that. I wonder how they'd fit it in...
>>
>>51446783
I mounted mine directly to my case :^)
>>
>>51446783
Hah, pretty sure mine's just floating around somewhere behind the motherboard tray not attached to anything, despite having specific brackets in the Enthoo Primo to mount 2.5" drives. Velcro is enough, don't need all these fancy 2.5 to 3.5 adapters and shit..
>>
> Doesn't realize what he bought
> Breaks
> Buys different replacement item that doesn't even do what you want
> Breaks the old shit worse
You are retarded. I've bought two 212's before and both came with extra brackets for another fan. Even extra rubber feet for fans to rest on the extra brackets.
>>
If the HSF fan is broken, you can unscrew the fan from the bracket, and put a new fan in.

5 seconds on el google.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjYrdZgx20I
>>
>>51446844
I literally use folded over duct tape.
>>
I really can't believe how popular this thread has become. My thread yesterday got almost no replies. Today, when I don't actually have a problem, everyone has something to say.
>>
>>51446878
It is almost like 4chan has more than 2 different people visiting it!
>>
>>51446889
I was in his other thread yesterday as well though...
>>
>>51446889
Nope we are the only people on 4chan. I post my comments and you go in a schizophrenic frenzy pretending to be everyone else. Like watching a bad Rodger bit on American Dad.
>>
>>51446307

>own 8350
>receiving so much shit about
>feels bad about purchase
>decides "might as well push it"
>buy corsair h110
>lower ambient temps to 10 - 15°
>overclock to 5.5 GHz stable
>beat 4790k and 6700k in cinebench r15
Feels good
>>
>>51446973
I'll take 'lies not even a retarded monkey child would believe' for 20, alex
>>
File: 822_zps8655aaf8.jpg (121 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
822_zps8655aaf8.jpg
121 KB, 1024x640
>>51447111
Fuck I can't find the one I had for 5.2 and 5.5 GHz, but a quick Google search and here you go. And mind you this is at 5.1 GHz. Also, this is multithreaded, so single threaded will probably a different story
>>
>>51447431
>>51447111
Sorry that was the 8370, here is the 8350 at 5.3 GHz
>>
>>51445796

>Hyper T2

I bought one of those things out of necessity. I don't plan on owning it for long because it's worse than a 212.
>>
>>51446398
Listen, dipshit, you got duped into buying a new heatsink for no reason.

And now after I pointed out that you only needed a FUCKING FAN AND NOT THE BRACKETS, you're throwing that whole argument to the side.

>>51446597
>I accidentally
Well maybe you should have put that in the OP, you stupid motherfucker, instead of shit talking me.

People like you are idiots and the reason /g/ went to hell after 2012.
>>
>>51447998
>But dummy, the bracket screws onto the fan, and simply snaps onto the heatsink. You never needed a bracket. You just needed a fan.
You do see the contradiction in this sentence right?
>>
>>51448017
No, no I do not. Explain how it's contradictory.

In the OP he states his fan broke.
He then states that instead of buying a new 120mm fan, unscrewing the brackets from the old fan, and then putting the new fan on the heatsink,
Instead of that he bought not only a new fan but a new heatsink.

And later, and only after I mentioned it was stupid, did he say he broke the bracket.

So explain the contradiction.
>>
>>51448032
You posted that (I'm assuming) before knowing his bracket was broken.
>>
>>51445796
>fan broke
>buy a whole new heatsink.
wow.
just wow.
i think you have the dumb.
>>
>>51448041

>>51448032
>and only after I mentioned it was stupid, did he say he broke the bracket

Can you read? Can you fucking read?
Are you all fucking idiots?
>>
>>51447998
I may well be an idiot. I certainly make plenty of mistakes. But you know what? I specifically took two independent strategies to mitigate the risk that one may not work out. I've got my receipt. Tomorrow, I'll go back to the store and return the heat sink and fan I didn't need. Everything works out.

But you? You'll still be a jerk tomorrow.
>>
File: cream of teat.webm (3 MB, 540x400) Image search: [Google]
cream of teat.webm
3 MB, 540x400
>>51448068
>WAHHH WAHHH SOMEONE WAS MEAN ON THE INTERNET

Do you know where you fucking are???
>>
>>51448032
Actually, in the OP, I said that I installed the new fan with the brackets from the broken one. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear enough for you.
>>
>>51448043
Eh, it was 20 bucks. I'm returning it in the morning anyway.
>>
>>51448091
Of course I do. Are you self examined? Don't answer that.
>>
>>51448116
Which is exactly why you're posting :^)
>>
File: have a nice day.gif (216 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
have a nice day.gif
216 KB, 160x160
>>51448126
I enjoy your company and wish you a merry thanksgiving with your loving family.
>>
>>51446049
That's a false temp reading unless your rooms temp is under a 13°C.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.