[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give it to me straight, if I just want to get hardcore in to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: hKiCeE8.jpg (70 KB, 639x640) Image search: [Google]
hKiCeE8.jpg
70 KB, 639x640
Give it to me straight, if I just want to get hardcore in to programming, is using windows fine?
>>
>>51444354
lmao
>>
File: 165.jpg (140 KB, 500x541) Image search: [Google]
165.jpg
140 KB, 500x541
>hardcore programming
>windows
>>
>>51444354
Yes, it is. It was stupid to ask /g/ though
>>
>>51444354
Nope.
>>
>>51444354
The company I work for is roughly 95% windows %4 Mac and 1% linux. Linux is only really used by the sys admins, windows is for the Java, Android, .NET and C# devs. Mac is for the iOS/Swift team and web (web can obviously also be done on any platform).

It depends what language you want to do and the support available.
>>
>>51444354
I suppose Windows is the way to go for C#/.NET but I wouldn't use it for anything else ever.
>>
OP here, I read so much contradictory advice. On one source it says Unix based or bust, another says it makes no difference.

From what I've experienced, Linux makes it easy to install everything but if you do get a problem with the OS it becomes hell to fix.
>>
>>51444354
If you're writing windows applications, then yes, it is fine. If you're doing anything else, well, you can use windows, but you'll be making things much harder on yourself.
>>
>>51444354

if you do c# and c++
>>
You can do whatever the hell you want as long as you don't use kek languages and target platforms (like iOS)
>>
>>51444354

who is this semen demon
>>
>>51444354
Who is this juice sluice?
>>
Use whatever you want unless you're using niche (aka meme) languages that are targeted towards a certain system. For example doing swift development on windows would be kind of silly.
>>
>>51444354
Who is this reproductive fluid claiming entity from hell?
>>
>>51444354
Who is this sperm crusader?
>>
The best operating system for gud programingers is windows 95. It has the best DE and cool graphx. I recommend using nothing but old versions of windows. Get gud fag
>>
File: hestia3.jpg (369 KB, 1398x1956) Image search: [Google]
hestia3.jpg
369 KB, 1398x1956
What kind of programming

but the answer is probably yes, it's down to person preference
>>
Programming on windows is MUCH more hardcore actually desu. On unix/linux you just use packet manager or go 'make & make install' and shit just works, try that on windows senpai.
>>
File: confused.png (213 KB, 635x542) Image search: [Google]
confused.png
213 KB, 635x542
>Is programming on the most widely used OS fine?
>>
>>51444354
Now that I reread your post, I assume that by "hardcore in to programming" you actually mean learning a good amount of different languages and implementations, I would say avoid Windows like the plague.
>>
>>51444354

if you had a chance you would know

im actually very curious about what all these self proclaimed expert programmers actually do
>>
>>51444438
Just start programming on windows and if you find its not suffice then change. No reason to an OS you're not comfortable with to learn something you don't know.
>>
>>51444575
/g/ is full of self important helpdesk and edgy junior sysadmins. The actual engineers are a tiny minority.
>>
>>51444354
Windows is programmer-hostile. Also, underage b&.
>>
>>51444354
What the fuck is on her finger?
>>
>>51444540
This desu. If you want to get into extreme programming, you use windows.
>>
>>51444649
Spider
>>
>>51444478
Which would be KEK languages?
>>
>>51444649
Snake
>>
>>51444649
Her stupid face
>>
>>51444354
Sure. If you want to work on OS programming (kernel programming), you'll probably want Linux. Otherwise, Windows is fine.
>>
>>51444354
>Give it to me straight, if I just want to get hardcore in to programming, is using windows fine?
Yes, its fine. What everyone in this thread means when they write you can't use [insert any os here] for this is, that they can't because they are stupid.
>>
>>51444354
If you aren't contributing to Linux, you aren't a programmer. Eudyptula challenge bro.
>>
File: wwwww.jpg (80 KB, 656x650) Image search: [Google]
wwwww.jpg
80 KB, 656x650
>>51444354
holy fuck this looks like a girl I used to know
>>
Unix based makes a lot of server related file sharing much easier. Since you need extra Windows softqre to run a shell
>>
File: me killing gnfos monkeys.png (135 KB, 313x382) Image search: [Google]
me killing gnfos monkeys.png
135 KB, 313x382
People always say "Linux is the best environment for programming!" but have never once heard a valid reason why.

>Linux has vim!
So does Windows.
>Linux has emacs!
So does Windows
>Linux has gcc!
So does Windows
etc...

Meanwhile Linux does NOT have tools like Visual Studio, Dev C++, and Notepad++.

I think you would only run into a problem if you were using an extremely fringe language like Smalltalk 80, which I personally have had trouble finding windows software for, but that's literally it.
>>
programming on windows is in fact more hardcore
>>
File: bmsr.jpg (173 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
bmsr.jpg
173 KB, 700x700
>>51444618

Truth with a capital T.

Windows is fine, OP.
>>
Windows is fine. The only reason for using Linux is for developing for Linux or as a matter of comfort. Honestly I'm thinking about going back to Windows for game development and programming due to limited support.
>>
Well if you look at the installation instructions for some library, the Linux instructions are usually just a single command for your package manager, or at most a git clone make install, on the other hand the Windows instructions are usually a bunch of inane bullshit.
>>
>>51444354
Not only is Windows good for "hardcore" programming, it allows you to do things that only Windows can do. Linux has no exclusives, and Mac has iPhone development and nothing else.
>>
Honestly Windows is fine for most shit. I say this as someone who hasn't used anything but linux for... 5 years now?

>>51446699
You can't be serious. You're leaving out the biggest reason to use linux (other than being a free unix environment): Package management. I'm doing a project for one of my grad courses that involves modifying Tor. You know how I got the build environment working? sudo-apt get install [list of dependencies], followed by make. That's it. You know how my project partner got it working on windows? He didn't. Two days of wrangling this shit and he's finally given up, and is supposed to meet up with me after he manages to dual boot linux. You definitely don't *have* to install Linux to get a decent development environment working, but if you're trying to argue Windows is just as good for everything important, you're simply lying to yourself, or don't have a decent breadth of development experience.
>>
>>51446917
Again, how do people believe this shit? In my 4 years of undergrad CS work, I never ONCE saw anyone saying "damn I wish I had windows for this project". While on the other hand, I cannot count the number of times people had to switch to Linux to get shit working. In my current grad lab, with ~20 people, every single person uses Linux as their primary OS. In all the other labs I go to regularly, it's pretty much always Linux and OSX. You think it's because nobody at these schools knows what's best for development?
>>
>>51446967
I noticed with myself that the switch was a placebo.
Switching to a "smarter" OS helped me think more critically about my code in general.
In reality, the difference is almost nil.
>>
>>51446927
>>51446882

If I had a nickel for every time I got frustrated dealing with dependencies in Windows I'd be a fucking modern day John D Rockefeller.
>>
>>51446992
Again, what does Windows have that's equivalent to package management? Dependencies have historically been one of the most difficult parts of programming in large projects, and Windows still has basically no solution other than "find and download a bunch of (potentially conflicting) files"
>>
>>51444354
I worked at microsoft for a while.
Windows is barely good for light programming, let alone hardcore.
>>
>>51446699
It depends a lot on what you're developing for. If you're writing software that will run on a Linux server, then running Linux on your dev machine makes a ton of sense.
>>
I went to linux because of the programming meme. I stayed not because it's good for programming, but because it's a pretty neat, lightweight OS. Your laptop will thank you.
>>
>>51446699

>Visual Studio
https://code.visualstudio.com/Download
>Dev C++
Who cares, it's yet another language-specific IDE
>Notepad++
Holy shit this is literally just a barebones text editor, kill yourself

It's the best environment for programming because nothing is hidden from you. The only thing that holds you back from learning more about your Linux system and modifying it is your own willingness.

Windows was made for people who don't care about how to develop anything. Windows developers know that the majority of their customers will use this one OS so they use the specific tools that MS has set out for them, and god forbid you try to go against that rigid formula.
>>
>>51448596
>I enjoy and am passionate about being part of a community that is even more divided and unwelcoming than Windows'.

Chill, dude, Notepad++ is quality code. You should try it sometime
>>
File: mousepad.png (51 KB, 720x806) Image search: [Google]
mousepad.png
51 KB, 720x806
>>51448656
Not him and I don't remember what qualities Notepad++ had but I think most of them can be had with Mousepad in Linux.

>Colored lines
>Highlight matching brackets
>Line numbers
>>
>>51448764
At the end of the day, a notepad is still a notepad
>>
Who is this cum dump?
>>
>>51444438
You just described Windows in your last sentence. With Linux you only have to spend hours googling your issue. Windows wants a full reinstall.
>>
>>51444354
Yep, you'll need a Linux VM to make sure your shit code works everywhere though.
>>
>>51448596
>https://code.visualstudio.com/Download
>Implying "Visual studio babby codes html5" is equivilant to actual Visual Studio 2015.

You are literally worse than people saying linux has something equivalent to photoshop and then linking gimp. even though windows also has gimp and it's shit.
>>
>>51444354
Don't grt meme'd son. Windows is fine.
>>
>>51444354
¿Usted quiere ser hardcore?
>>
>>51444806
Ruby
Angluar JS, NodeJS, or any shit that sits atop Java script.
>>
>>51448910
>Ruby is considered a kek language
>Python isn't
What is this world coming to?
>>
>>51444354
If you are going to do C#/.NET windows is pretty necessary.

If you are gonna do other stuff, linux will be nicer.
>>
>>51448929
mah hard science, python served a purpose, ruby came along and does little more.
>>
>>51448795
Especially if you have some smart linux devops/sysadmins that will assist. Or even other engineers who use linux.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.