[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Continued from >>51399637 → >What is GNUnet? GNU
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20
File: 800px-GNUnet_logo.svg.png (177 KB, 800x827) Image search: [Google]
800px-GNUnet_logo.svg.png
177 KB, 800x827
Continued from >>51399637

>What is GNUnet?
GNUnet is a fully decentralised p2p framework for a number of applications, the most commonly used one (probably) is filesharing
More info:
https://gnunet.org/goals
https://gnunet.org/concepts

>Why use GNUnet over private trackers?
Private trackers:
>have to keep up a seed ratio or you're thrown out
>have to attach an account to your searches and requests
>have to trust that the private tracker's owner won't leak your details anywhere
>uploading must be approved
GNUnet:
>no seeding requirement
>no account needed
>no trusted 3rd parties needed
>no way to trace any traffic back to you, unless you set anonymity to 0
>even just searching for content can be done via GNUnet's anonymous protocol
>anyone can publish anything
>no way for publishers to know who's downloading
>no way for downloaders to know who's publishing (except via optional namespaces)

>Sounds cool, where do I start?

/g/ GNUnet QUICKSTART GUIDE FOR FILE SHARING

### INSTALLATION ###

download and install using the package manager of your distro

or

https://gnunet.org/installation

### POST-INSTALLATION/USAGE ###

*Before doing anything else, run following command in terminal: gnunet-arm -s

To use the GUI, run gnunet-gtk
For help on uploading/searching/downloading files via the GUI, see https://gnunet.org/first-steps-file-sharing

GNUnet can also be used in the terminal

__TERMINAL_COMMANDS__

To upload a file: gnunet-publish [-n] [-k KEYWORDS]* [-m TYPE:VALUE] FILENAME
*Note: see https://gnunet.org/gnunet-publish for more information

To search a file: gnunet-search "[SEARCH TERM]"

To download a file: gnunet-download -o FILENAME -- GNUNETURL
*Note: the gnunet-search command will output the command needed to download the desired file

To shut down GNUnet: gnunet-arm -e

### ADDITIONAL RESOURCES ###

https://gnunet.org/installation
https://gnunet.org/user-handbook
>>
First for if you don't share anime on GNUnet you're not welcome on GNUnet
>>
So if I want to find what /g/entoomen are posting I should run
$ gnunet-search "/g/" &

?
>>
>>51442859
I do
$gnunet-search "/g/" > GNUnet/Search/g
in a screen session, then I can just less the file later when it gets populated
>>
What is the advantage of this over torrenting? I gave it a shot last night but the gif I was downloading took an hour to get 50% so quit.
>>
How does this compare with IPFS?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0JH0ZzjefE
>>
>>51442732
GNUnet confirmed /v/ tier
>>>/v/317285962
>>
>>51442878
Nice. What do you call the greater than operator? Is it a bipeline X-DD?
>>
>>51442901
Adcantaes are listed in the OP
Also GNUnet theoretically can do more than just filesharing, but everyone here is still trying to figure that part out even
>>
>>51442918
that was a mistake on OPs part.
>>
>>51442916
Two completely different things
>>
>>51442918
>everyone losing their shit over the GUI
That's why we need a rewrite
>>
>>51443232
it's /v/, what did you expect? maybe they'll shitpost about the GUI enough to give GNUnet free advertising.
>>
Can I save the searches as text files, like this:
$ gnunet-search "/g/" > /home/anon/gnunet/search.txt

?
>>
>>51443071
IPFS is better in every single way.
Hijack time!
http://localhost:8080/ipfs/QmP7LM9yHgVivJoUs48oqe2bmMbaYccGUcadhq8ptZFpcD/
Some 8chen anon's site. Contains a list with many links (including the /g/entoomen library), and an OP for ipfs threads.
>>
Would GNUnet be fast enough to be practical if it had many more users?
>>
>>51443653
If ~1m extra users suddenly started using it, yes.
>>
>>51443568
Yes, in fact that's how I do it
>>
>>51443653
>>51443665
then we need as many people using it as possible. the /g/ wiki needs an article about GNUnet and GNUnet should be put on list of recommended sotware.
>>
>>51443596
>every single way
There's no anonymity for one thing, unless you route through another system first (including using GNUnet itself as a VPN)
For another, it doesn't look like there's much more applications than filesharing
>>
>>51443665
>create GNUMule using aMule + GNUnet daemon
>200k users starting
>>
>>51443696
Thanks m8.
>>
so why has /g/ all of a sudden taken a huge interest in GNUnet? it's all of a sudden become the newest general.
>>
>>51443709
Let's write it in this thread then. What information do we need? We can start with just the OP post for now. What do we need to get write privileges for the wiki?

>>51443784
It's cool freetard shit.
>>
>>51443784
Desu it seems like the hype has burnt out for now, but maybe that's because everyone who was interested is out doing things on Friday night
>>
>>51443784
>>51443796
Also, it's a solution to file distribution after people start getting butt-blasted by TPP. People are getting paranoid and tired of private trackers, as well, apparently.
>>
>>51443796
I'll make the logo
>>
>>51443733
You can make arbitrary sites on top of ipfs, though nothing dynamic (client->server) yet. It's actually in a better state than gnunet on that front aside from the fact that gnunet-conversation exists (does it even work?). It's also a fuckload faster - I can practically watch a 720p bdrip live without anonymity. I couldn't even find the file on gnunet with anonymity to 0.

However, you're right about the anonymity bit.
>>
>no way to trace any traffic back to you, unless you set anonymity to 0

Can someone explain how this actually works?

Also, how fast is it? And why should i use it when torrents just werk.
>>
>>51443871
It is slow, but that is because practically no one is using it right now. I think torrentfags are interested in GNUnet because torrenting will no longer be feasible after TPP passes.

I don't know how the anonymity settings work. I doubt anyone in this thread have read the manual.
>>
>>51443849
The only thing I see IPFS really having over GNUnet is ease of setting up, speed and GUI
Some advantages GNUnet has over IPFS is anonymity and the gnunet-conversation proof of concept showing more capabilities than filesharing
Both of these are worthy of checking out and have two completely different goals in mind. However, since this is the GNUnet thread I'd suggest you make a thread for IPFS. I would have made one already, but I don't know enough about it to make an informative OP
>>
>>51443871
It's beyond slow. If you even manage to get ahold of a file within 72 hours (fat chance), expect around 20 b/s average download speed (that's bits per second). You should use it instead of torrents when it gits gud because it's anonymizing unlike torrents, and more powerful things can be built around gnunet than torrents. The way it works for anonymity is that you connect to a peer which forwards your request, but only when the peer has enough traffic passing through it. You do direct connections with anonymity=0 though.
>>
>>51443871
>>51443907
When any requests are made with an anonymity level of at least 1, your peer will wait until it gets traffic from another peer before sending out the request. That way, any time you send traffic, it's unclear whether or not you made the request or are just routing it for someone else.
Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's slow, in my experience it's more often slow than fast, but it doesn't have very many nodes in it yet
>>
>>51443907
>torrenting will no longer be feasible after TPP passes
It's kind of bittersweet that things like this happen, it forces progress to be made.
>>
>>51444008
It's amazing how, ultimately, TPP will do practically nothing to prevent illegal file sharing.

House speaker with a Ph.D. in Computer Science when
>>
>>51443940
>That way, any time you send traffic, it's unclear whether or not you made the request or are just routing it for someone else.

That doesn't sound too private to me. Can't anyone just monitor the traffic on there and see anyway? Even if it's unclear if it was you, it still puts you in a smaller basket.

Does it have the amount of stuff trackers have?
If i wanted some music, would i be able to find it? Also is it monitored by the RIAA and other copyright trolls? Is it possible for it to be?
>>
>>51444029
>House speaker with a Ph.D. in Computer Science when
Never. They're all busy being useful.
>>
>>51444033
Traffic between nodes is encrypted such that only the two communicating nodes can see what was sent
Even if you wind up sending a packet to a malicious node, it would have no idea whether or not it was from you or someone else routing through you
Searches are also encrypted to not outright give away what was searched for, and downloaded content passed along the way is also encrypted, though I'm less familiar with how that works
>>
IPFS thread:
>>51444075
Patricians only, plebs begone.
>>
File: awe1350281144003.gif (498 KB, 262x200) Image search: [Google]
awe1350281144003.gif
498 KB, 262x200
>>51441999
>Perhaps some day even that ultrasonic method could be used to connect peers

too easily abusable
completely subverts the desire of anonymity
but I must say, I like the way you think
>>
File: 5c2d592aad49f1ed.png (180 KB, 2000x1909) Image search: [Google]
5c2d592aad49f1ed.png
180 KB, 2000x1909
is this accurate?
where does GNUnet fit?
>>
>>51444385
the middle
>>
>>51444463
This
Freenet has a limit? How does that work?
>>
>>51442878
>>51443568
why are you saving searches in a txt?
>>
>>51444591
$ less Search/g

Easier to read, can use the file reader of your choice, and when you want to download one of them
$ `cat Search/g | grep filename.mkv`
>>
>>51442917
thanks senpai
>>
>>51444486
There are only so many nodes on the network, and each of them only holds so much data. I think it's around 50TB that the network is capable of holding right now, and the more shit you dump onto Freenet, the higher the chance some of it'll disappear (usually happens after a week or so unless it's popular).

With ipfs and i2p, if you need to host a petabyte of shit, you can buy a petabyte of drives and host it all yourself. In Freenet you don't even have the option of hosting it yourself, so you're limited to what the network will host for you, which is extremely limited.

(FYI, I made this chart. Maybe "unlimited" wasn't a great choice of words.)
>>
>>51442732
Error in communication with PEERINFO service: Timeout transmitting iteration request to `PEERINFO' service.

What's this supposed to mean? I'm in the gnunet group and I started the service as a normal user... Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>51444937
What OS?
>>
>>51444463
if true gnunet is the future and we need to push this hard so it becomes faster/usable

we also need to find someone here to make a new gui

will happily still give the finger to windowns users though
gnunet is for freedom and people who care to try and be human
>>
>>51444966
Gentoo, but I compiled it from the tarballs.
>>
>>51445015
I'm assuming you've already run gnunet-arm -s?
Other than that, I wouldn't be able to help much, my install just werked
>>
>>51445052
BTW not on Gentoo, Parabola
>>
>>51445052
Yeah, I've done that already.
>>
How long should it take to find files after running a search? I've been running the search for about an hour and I haven't found anything. This is what I ran:
$ gnunet-search "/g/" > /home/anon/gnunet/search.txt &
>>
What type of files are up on there currently?
>>
>>51445097
How many peers do you have?
>>
>>51445097
10-24h. You should get your first hit within 1-2h though.
>>
>>51445127
I don't know. How do I check?

>>51445144
Alright, I'll keep trying.
>>
>>51445052
>>51445074
What's your user config look like? (i.e. ~/.config/gnunet.conf)
>>
for everyone having problems:
if gnunet-statistics shows nothing, or gnunet-statistics-gtk is blank with no colored words and lines, gnunet is not running
$sudo pkill gnunet
just to be safe, then
$gnunet-arm -s
then if gnunet-peerinfo still shows nothing after waiting a while, I don't know
there have been times when I thought it was running but it wasn't is why I say this
otherwise, everything's just worked

and to whoever's building the new gui
we need a simple `am I still actually connected/data is being transfered' indicator
>>
>>51445209
Thanks, I've got tons of peers now. I'll try again.
>>
If you want to help /g/ folks on here connect to more peers, post the output of
$ gnunet-peerinfo -sg

and people can use
$ gnunet-peerinfo -p [URI]

to add the peer to their database.
For example, my peer:
$ gnunet-peerinfo -p gnunet://hello/KCVG9EHIBTUHF7VJ2T1J9I0HK2AACUUV142DIDBRPO2FA0S2G2QG
>>
I am peer `LMLK3GM441R5E3T0IV5LTFEH61F14TBJ7J63KLB8F756UAR7EMO0'.
>>
>>51445253
~> gnunet-peerinfo -sg
I am peer `[...]'.
Error in communication with PEERINFO service: Timeout transmitting iteration request to `PEERINFO' service.
>>
>>51445412
Try kill and restart.
>>
>>51445412
So it displayed your peer, but couldn't talk to peerinfo..? That's really weird
>>
Anybody having IPv6 errors?
>>
>>51445450
Add DISABLEV6 = YES under [nat] in .config/gnunet.conf
>>
gnunet://hello/RA93JUUFAE1ICVKQ5L3DEESFQOQBSGC7L8J52157CSELDAMNQRBG
>>
>>51445664
Thanks, senpai. I'm going to read the user handbook once I get some free time.
>>
>>51445440
>>51445446
I did that, but the problem persists.

I tried adding you guys manually, but I get this error:
Failure adding HELLO: failed to transmit request (service down?)

I think I'll start pulling my hair out now.
>>
Have you read the user handbook?
>>
the goal is to make this as usable and accessible as possible, because it is basically useless without users

more users is always better, even if they are plebs/computer illiterate/etc., because even if they are not supplying particularly useful content, they are routing other peer's traffic, strengthening the system

also, if you tried to use it but thought i'll just wait until it gets faster/more popular, it's probably a good idea to just keep the daemon or whatever running, so you can help route traffic
>>
>>51446089
With that goal in mind, should we work on fixing the GUI for the people who have managed to install it first, or making shit consistent across platforms without weird errors and bugs every time someone tries to do something?
>>
>>51446089
>>51446131
Agreed.
>>
does anyone here have permissions to make a new article on the wiki? an article on GNUnet needs to be made.
>>
>>51446158
If you make an account, you'll get privileges. I was going to do it myself, but I can't access my password manager right now.
>>
>>51446179
how should the article be written?
>>
>>51446246
Make sure you include the OP's post and the OP's image.

Read up enough on it to write a little summary of how it works, its philosophy and its motivations.

That should be enough for now. We can add more when we have got it working for all of us and anime is flowing.
>>
>>51446286
ok. give me about 10 minutes to create the article.
>>
File: rms1339615412795.jpg (57 KB, 645x430) Image search: [Google]
rms1339615412795.jpg
57 KB, 645x430
I have no experience building gooeies.
I don't even know how you're supposed to approach it...

We should focus on just the filesharing for now.
It seems to me to be very simple, and the interface must reflect this.
What gnunet-fs-gtk has right now actually isn't bad - Just needs to stop segfaulting and being weird, and some things need to be moved and added.

3 tabs: published/seeding, downloading, search
the latter spawns sub tabs of it"s own for each search
downloaded things should auto publish on completion
`download as' should be the only option forcing you to put it where you want so it doesn't detach when you move it there after
status and transfer bar at the bottom

GNUnet general configs are saved elsewhere and can be dealt with later - So please do not get hung up on trying to make every possible option have a buttan or menu.
Simple, minimal, intuitive, and pretty - Power users will still just use the shell, so do not build this for them/you.

Make it look and feel like transmission-gtk.
Perhaps we could just steal this code and modify it - Like I said, I don't know how these things work.

The world needs this.
If anyone capable is looking for a challenge, please step up.
>>
>>51446347
This.

>I don't even know how you're supposed to approach it . . .
GTK has a GUI that helps you make GUIs.
>>
>>51446376
What's the package called? I only knew of the Qt builder
>>
>>51446394
Oh shit, I might have been thinking of QT.
>>
File: brisby_beauty.jpg (17 KB, 333x480) Image search: [Google]
brisby_beauty.jpg
17 KB, 333x480
QUESTIONS!

How do you know something you download isn't filled with a virus or CP?

How can I find out a particular version of a Download like with torrents for anime groups?

Setting it up on Ubuntu is confuing as well. I think I'll stick to torrents for now anyways.
>>
>>51446347
GUI programming is trivial. Either you literally drag and drop your shit and then modify the handlers in the generated code, or you push_back your UI items into containers that automatically arrange the elements for you and then register handlers with them.

The main issue with gnunet is lack of users, but it's a kind of catch-22 where no users = no content = no users. That catch-22, however, is heavily influenced by how retarded and buggy the UI is, and the lack of USEFUL feedback in the commnand-line tools. Waiting hours to be able to tell whether or not you're even going to find the file you have the hash for before you can start downloading it is fucking retarded.
>>
>>51446421
You can download from namespaces, which are maintained by a single peer (though those seem buggy atm) to ensure what you're getting has at least been scanned by the ego controlling the namespace
Namespaces also support versioning (but again, buggy)
Setup is ironically easier on supposed timesink OS's Arch and Parabola
>>
>>51446492
Well gee, thanks for the input!
>Setup is ironically easier on supposed timesink OS's Arch and Parabola
I gave up trying to install parabola today and just went back to Trisquel. I want full disk encryption but it's confusing to set up on Parabola from a console.
>>
ok. I made an article on the wiki with a throwaway account. it's barebones right now, but it's fine for the time being.
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNUnet
>>
>>51446421
Anything you download from anywhere could be pizza or malware.

By searching for it? I don't understand. If they publish a v2 that will be something that shows up when searching for it.
If this really catches on though, I imagine sites will pop up akin to torrent trackers for GNUnet URIs. The release group you're looking to download from could also post the URI on their blag or whatever.

We're working on the confusing thing.
If you read the threads or ask questions people will help you.
Unlike Retroshare and the other things I've tried, I actually see this as being able to usurp torrents as a primary means of mass file distribution.
It's incredible and beautiful and wonderful and I love it.
But to get there we need as many people to have this running as we can get.
Help create this wave for the future to ride on with us Anonymous.
>>
>>51446536
Is there a way to donate to support this? I'd donate a bit to help really!
>>
>>51446536
As long as we keep momentum in the development and use of the project, one day it will be viable.
>>
>>51446557
The best thing you can do is help develop at this point. I don't think they have a donation page. The project is small enough that it may be best for you to just contact the lead developers directly or write to them on their mail list.
>>
>>51446529
Looks good anon.
I'll save the OP copypasta and integrate it when I get home.
>>
>>51446578
Has anyone mailed them yet?
just to say `hey there's been a small explosion of interest in your thing and we want to help. what do, how can we help?'
You could even invite them here if you dare - Threads have actually been nice and civil.
DO IT OP
>>
I'd love to help the network but my only good computer is crippled to use Windows forever and my Debian can hardly go a webm without overheating. Any way I can help out?
>>
>>51442917
>pronouncing GNU as ganoo
>not pronouncing it properly as ñu
I mean if an animal was to be named by the sound they make it would be the ñu
>>
>>51446634
>my only good computer is crippled to use Windows forever
lies
>>
>>51446654
But it's not new at all, it's been around for decades!
>>
>>51446626
You should email them yourself. Anyone can join the mailing list. FOSS developers always appreciate help.
>>
>>51446592
awesome, thank you. over the next few days the article will be formatted better and will have a lot more info.
>>
1. Make an attractive website
2. Marketing, on the website and facebook sharing etc
3. "Fight for freedom use this product!" kind of shit that appeals to youngsters
4. The site had a brain-dead easy to find download button for a GUI program which runs a traffic routing daemon in the background and installs the daemon as a startup item
5. for winblows

I think that'd really get the project moving
>>
>>51446681
We need to make GNUnet general stays up on /g/, too.
>>
>>51446677
I can't program though...
>>
>>51446655
Nice double dubs, it's true tho. It's a laptop and the screen is broken, so I can't go into the bios to make it boot from a USB.
>>
>>51446683
you lose me at 5
every windows machine running this is a compromised node (not that it actually matters much for gnunet (supposedly))
rather than catering to reet normalfags, we should be encouraging them to step up to freedom and decent/usable software
>>
>>51446731
but there will always be shitloads of windows users, and windows users are stupid, so they will easily fall for the marketing tricks of some college student's making
>>
File: 1367902662047.gif (733 KB, 533x300) Image search: [Google]
1367902662047.gif
733 KB, 533x300
>>51446677
I don't have the balls or the skills man.
>>
>>51446742
then make those marketing tricks be `even your retarded nigga ass can use software that respects your freedom'
>>
>>51446744
Don't be intimidated. Projects don't only need more code. You can do translation, marketing, financing. If you have any skills to contribute they will be appreciated, I guarantee it. In regards to programming, as a /g/entooman you can already appreciate the value of learning how to do it.
>>
>>51446700
Try to teach yourself. Anything you can learn at a school you can learn online. If you program everyday for a while you'll be good enough to contribute.
>>
Wait... This gnunet thing seems like it's actually secure
>>
>>51446801
Yup.
>>
>>51446801
Not enough users for it to be secure yet.
>>
>>51444990
First, it has to become as usable as BitTorrent
>>
File: 1353812983138.jpg (13 KB, 300x357) Image search: [Google]
1353812983138.jpg
13 KB, 300x357
#/g/nunet on rizon
>>
>>51446812
give it time

>>51446819
GNUnet is going to overtake BitTorrent, I just know it.
>>
>>51446819
I can already see GNUnet with a micro for the U.
>>
>>51443596
oh cool, he has an IPFS OP pasta in there
http://localhost:8080/ipfs/QmP7LM9yHgVivJoUs48oqe2bmMbaYccGUcadhq8ptZFpcD/ipfs-general/index.html
>>
>>51442916
>>51443071
>>51443596
I don't see why GNUnet and IPFS can't co-exist.
>>
>>51446866
Because they're essentially the same technology. The difference is that IPFS is blazing-fast and its programs actually work instead of crashing left and right and requiring frequent restarts and delivering a peak of 0.0001 bpy, and gnunet comes with anonymity enhancements out of the box while ipfs, in a more unixy way, expects you to combine ipfs with whatever existing solution you trust (including gnunet).
>>
>>51446866
they can
these all have the place
we should all be using all of them really
>>
>>51446912
Yeah, man, I went to download the entirety of Wikipedia with IPFS and it finished before I even typed in the command, but when I tried to even look at my GNUnet install, my computer sprouted claws and teeth and I had to shoot it dead with a gun I downloaded and 3d printed from IPFS
Thanks IPFS
>>
>>51445831
The kind people on IRC helped me out and now things are working. What I did was install from SVN and make it so that everything ran as the regular user
>>
This project has serious potential as long as we keep on top of it, ignore posters who call it a meme or get them to try it. We just need to remember priorities (Not necessarily in order):

Contact the devs: Get ideas on how we can help, there are talented people on this board

Spread the word: The more people the stronger the network

Republish: The only way things start to pickup, as long as the hash doesnt change on the file it will not be listed as a duplicate

Windows version: Current install is iffy and really non user friendly.

GUI: If you want more users to use it, GUI is a good start

24/7 seedboxes: While all contribution is good, installing this on a laptop you have on only on intermittent periods during the day is not ideal.
>>
Anyone have this working on a raspberry pi? Trying to find a proper spot to dump mine. Maybe neighbours wifi will do
>>
>>51447477
>Contact the devs
#gnunet on freenode
Get to it senpaitachi
>>
>>51447477
>installing this on a laptop you have on only on intermittent periods during the day is not ideal.
Suppose you have a server running 24/7 already, but wouldn't it still be helpful to have a peer connected whenever the laptop is on, so long as you didn't publish with the laptop?
>>
>>51447561
This is a fair point, Like I said while it is useful, if any anons with bandwidth to spare and a server or even an old laptop could set up a 24/7 machine it would be even better
>>
File: hurdislove.png (43 KB, 709x709) Image search: [Google]
hurdislove.png
43 KB, 709x709
I vote we do not make this into an unnecessary shitty retarded general - Would only run it into the ground very quickly.
If we want this to stick (and for the sake of the betterment of the world do we ever), we should chill and hold back.
After this thread, eryone who's here take a few days and play with everything.
I'm going to delve into the handbook and gtk builder.
Wiki guys, thank you, let's see how nice and clear you can make it.
Eryone else, find something to do, make more logos I guess.
We'll come back and hit it hard again sometime next week.
In the meantime, I've registered #/g/nunet on Rizon for us.
>>
File: Cirno - Why.jpg (47 KB, 485x500) Image search: [Google]
Cirno - Why.jpg
47 KB, 485x500
>>51447894
>In the meantime, I've registered #/g/nunet on Rizon for us.
There's already #gnunet on freenode, though.
>>
>>51448144
They have more than just /g/ folk in it however, and they might resent us poking fun at the aboriginal dating service GUI they made
>>
ALART: Currently, if you installed gnunet from the SVN, file sharing is incompatible with people who are using 0.10.1. You will not be able to download/upload from people using a different version. Please keep an eye out for version 0.10.2!
>>
>>51448380
fug
sauce?
debian 0.10.1 here
guess I'll roll my own
>>
>>51448425
You can clone the SVN with this link: https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet/
>>
is it just me or is the gnunet wobsite really well done?
it's the first site I've been to in a long time where my immediate reaction wasn't, `wow, this is terrible'
it's pleasant even
it's just straight up information laid out in a nice and logical way

and it's clear now that anyone who had problems on install prolly just didn't spend enough time going through their site
it's far more informative and explicit than I first believed
>>
File: 1367956475300.gif (46 KB, 384x288) Image search: [Google]
1367956475300.gif
46 KB, 384x288
Can this be used to do a Tor like exit node thing?
This would get more people using it.
And if I'm understanding things correctly, the increased traffic would counterintuitive make everything faster.
The more traffic there is, the more there is to hide in, meaning you can make more requests to the actual locations of whatever rather than bouncing everything around.
But then I guess there are bandwidth issues.
How does denyability work with Tor exit nodes anyway? Like, if someone tries to go to some pizza site through my exit node, doesn't it then just look like I'm the one going there?...
>>
did ipfs take over?

>tfw nopeer
>>
>>51448970
Yes, gnunet-vpn
>>
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNUnet
so the wiki article is looking pretty good, what more needs to be added to it?
>>
>>51452522
Perhaps some sample search terms we're publishing on, e.g. /g/, test, anime, etc
>>
>>51453261
probably this and it needs more details on how it works.
>>
why has this thread been so slow since last night?
>>
>>51446131
making it work well and consistently across platforms is probably more important
as it is right now most people not on arch or parabola are probably going to be turned off of it
>>
>>51452522
Format the copypasta into readable form and put it above.
>>
>>51453596
It's the weekend, maybe a lot of people are out bring sociable right about now
>>
when i run gnunet-arm -s it gives me a bunch of errors mainly telling me to disable ipv6. i'm running arch and the wiki tells me i need to add some kernel parameters... does this mean i need to rebuild the kernel myself?
>>
>>51453596
seems like people did move to ipfs
>>
>>51453803
You can disable ipv6 in the GNUnet config file, as for the other errors, I just ignored them, it still works fine
>>
File: imgur-2015_11_21-18:34:49.png (85 KB, 1124x554) Image search: [Google]
imgur-2015_11_21-18:34:49.png
85 KB, 1124x554
who designed this abortion
>>
File: 11133819204.png (51 KB, 1295x647) Image search: [Google]
11133819204.png
51 KB, 1295x647
>>51453877
Dude, how did you get yours look so pretty?
>>
>>51453906
i have global dark theme enabled in gnome
>>
This shit's pretty slow.
>>
>>51453807
Seems like a natural hype dying off to me
IPFS is also faster at the moment, which makes it more appealing to most plebs on here, but both should be considered replacements for different dying techs
IPFS for HTTP(S)
GNUnet for bittorrent
>>
>>51454045
Gnunet is to bittorrent what Hurd is to Linux.
>>
>>51454045
ipfs can replace bittorrent as well

gnunet is like a limewire replacement (which was replaced years ago by bittorrent)
>>
>>51454157
That would be true if there were being crackdowns on Linux in increasing numbers lately
Linux also isn't in danger of the TPP, whereas hosting bittorrent trackers and using bittorrent at all is going to become riskier
>>
>>51454157
More like what early GNU was to UNIX, because gnunet is not complete shit and has some real advantages, like the anonymous search.

What matters to me is that it's fun.
>>
>>51454206
Since IPFS isn't anonymous, it's still not a good idea to use it as a bittorrent replacement
>>
>>51454221
run it on top of tor if you need anonymity
>>
>>51442732
Fresh install of crunchbang (in a vm)
sudo su
apt-get install gnunet
apt-get install gnunet-gtk
gnunet-search "test"

stalls forever, no results, using the GTK ui is the same, nada.

inb4 telling me to run gnunet-arm -s, it says it's already running
>>
>>51444854
So what you're saying is, gnunet is the crossing point between freenet and ipfs and i2p?
>>
>>51454259
Well run it again, and try gnunet-arm -r as well
>>
>>51454259
read the fucking instructions fagget
>>
>>51454239
That's a good point, anon
Since tor can't handle the load of bittorrent, it certainly can handle the load of IPFS, right?
>>
>>51454259
>sudo su
are you dense or something?
>>
>>51454239
-- should be noted that running ipfs over tor defeats one of the advantages to ipfs, which is why anonymity doesn't make sense as a core/default function

namely, one advantage to ipfs is its ability to find blocks you're looking for on machines close to yours, minimizing hops

for example, if you're in a school network, and you have many people accessing a common resource outside of the school, the first download goes into the cache on one machine, then subsequent requests can be pulled from that machines cache entirely /within/ the school LAN, saving bandwidth and runs much faster

you can't do that if you're anonymizing the traffic, since you can no longer, by definition, know if peers are truly close
>>
>>51454259
What is the output of gnunet-arm -I? That's minus eye
If fs isn't listed, you may need to add it to your config
>>
>>51454292
Gnunet couldn't handle anywhere close to the load of bittorent in a billion years, though.
>>
>>51454330
Wait, people use retarded fonts that don't have bars on the capital I?
>>
>>51454315
The point of ipfs is that you can choose at which point on the privacy v.s. convenience you want to be. It's only one advantage of ipfs that you find blocks close to you. Others include the content-addressing and swarm downloading.
>>
>>51454370
i literally did say "one of the advantages", of course, ipfs has more than that one
>>
>>51454353
That sounds like pure shitposting at this point, GNUnet is under development and gets better over time and especially if more peers use it
To write it off because it's currently unpolished and unpopulated is just silly
If you think IPFS is the end-all be-all for this, then go to the IPFS thread and leave the GNUnet thread alone
>>
>>51454417
>modmodmodmods!
>pls delete opinion i dun liek ;_;
>>
>>51454454
Good to know the supposed advantages to IPFS are just opinions
>>
>>51454490
Funny. I like it. Where do I subscribe for more?
>>
>>51454501
the IPFS threads; not here.
>>
>>51444061
>politician
>useful
/g/ logic
>>
>>51454490
>>51454353
why not you go talk about IPFS in the IPFS thread. both have their advantages and should co-exist.
>>
How do I set an upload speed limit? I'll run this all day long if I can limit it so it doesn't mess with my network quality. I have last-yard cable internet.
>>
>>51454330
>>
>>51454517
The only advantage of gnunet is the inbuilt anonymity. More importantly, it's important to realize that there are load issues with gnunet. Even more importantly is to realize that in its current state, gnunet is a broken piece of buggy shit (especially the UI) and needs way more users and way more development before it's even remotely usable. In other words, what should be discussed here is how to fix these core problems, instead of trying to share 10kb files within 24 hours.
>>
>>51454525
Try running gnunet-arm -e as root, then gnunet-arm -s as a normal user
>>
>>51454542
then clearly it needs to be worked on. it doesn't mean we should just drop everything and not care about it. it has potential to be better.
>>
>>51454542
>instead of trying to share 10kb files within 24 hours.
That makes us the best stress testers in the world though.
>>
>>51454557
If we had a set amount of resources to allocate, it would be a lot more beneficial to port the anonymity layer of gnunet to ipfs than trying to fix gnunet itself. While it's always good to have competition, it's false to say that ipfs and gnunet don't fit the exact same niche at a high level.
>>
>>51454542
https://gnunet.org/svn/gnunet/
https://gnunet.org/bugs/my_view_page.php
Let's get these added to the OP pasta, then
>>
>>51454594
you really think we could integrate GNUnet into IPFS?
>>
>>51454548
this is after re installing btw
>>
>>51454594
They don't
GNUnet and IPFS each have completely different stated goals
IPFS wants to, among other things, replace HTTP so that when sites go down, the content can still be accessed
GNUnet wants to be a secure P2P platform for private, anonymous communication where the anonymity is explicitly opt-out instead of opt-in
>>
>>51454606
Yes.
>>
>>51454622
That's a low-level implementation detail. The high-level goal for both is to provide a completely distributed and decentralized many-to-one content delivery system.
>>
>>51454613
Try pkilling everything gnunet, then running gnunet-arm -s again
>>
>>51454622
GNUnet is a lot like perfect dark shit japs use.
>>
File: 1447961443198.jpg (62 KB, 796x556) Image search: [Google]
1447961443198.jpg
62 KB, 796x556
>>51454654
>That's a low-level implementation detail
>>
Has anyone tried gnunet-vpn yet? How do you use it?
>>
>>51454661
With the plus of namespaces and without the minus of having encrypted cheese pizza uploaded to your machine in the background.
>>
>>51454519
Anyone?
>>
>>51454654
I disagree, GNUnet is unlikely to sacrifice its privacy features if it would mean higher speed, whereas IPFS is unlikely to do the opposite
>>
>>51454713
If you have gnunet-gtk installed, use gnunet-setup
>>
>>51454745
thanks
>>
>>51454713
You can set the download and upload bandwidth using gnunet-settings, under the network tab
>>
>>51454729
But both already do.
>>
"Enable unsolicited content transmissions from this peer"

"Enable caching content at this peer"

Which means mirroring cheese pizza and which means automatic seeding?
>>
>>51454851
GNUnet is already more anonymous than Perfect Dark, which is protecting the japanese pirate scene from the Media Corporatist Police State that they live in.
>>
>>51454855
I think caching content will allow stuff you've asked for to be made available to others from your peer as well, and unsolicited content transmission might mean stuff you didn't ask for but just routed will be available as well
>>
>>51454659
so how long can a search take?
>>
>>51454971
For more elucidation,
>Enable unsolicited etc
>Should we try to push our content to other peers?

>Enable caching
>Are we allowed to cache content received from other peers?
>>
>>51454993
It can take a while, especially at the start
I run searches in screen sessions and pipe the output to a file, which I can later read with less
How many peers do you have so far? You can chesk with gnunet-statistics | grep peer
>>
>>51454993
nevermind, getting a timeout error trying to download hostlist

maybe i'll wait until this software is a bit sturdier
>>
Published the Majora's Mask Debug ROM, try to download it.
>>
>>51443940
Oh great, so then I get trouble when it routes some other guy's CP through me?
>>
>>51455075
If you're in the USA, you're protected under the same laws that protect TOR relays.
>>
>>51455075
No one, not even you, will know what is being sent through your peer. Everything is encrypted such that no one knows what content is being routed, nor what is even bring searched for.
>>
File: 2000px-Freenet_logo.svg.png (99 KB, 2000x1342) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Freenet_logo.svg.png
99 KB, 2000x1342
>all this sudden interest
I honestly hope the interest doesn't die out fast.

But why not use freenet?
It even has some material some of you weebs might enjoy, very easily attainable.
>>
>>51455154
>But why not use freenet?
>>51444385
>>
>>51455094
I'm not, I'm German and we have this thing called Störerhaftung (which for example means your partly responsible if someone does something illegal on your unprotected wifi), which should apply here.
>>
>>51444444
>>
>>51454868
Except if you put anonymity to 0.
>>
>>51455154
A massive disadvantage to freenet is that the network can't handle more than a few PT of data. It makes it already incapable of hosting the current web (I think), let alone expand.
>>
>>51455243
>what is opting out
>>
>>51455259
Backpedal faster won't you?
>>
>>51455266
This isn't even backpedaling, unless the goalpost is set such that the only anonymous system would involve the phrase "My name is Mr. Example and I live at 123 Fake Street" being unable to be published, because that wouldn't be anonymous
>>
Can I torrent over the vns or vpn thing gnunet has ?
>>
>>51455756
Please don't.
>>
File: 2015-11-21_19-14-06.png (4 KB, 292x380) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-21_19-14-06.png
4 KB, 292x380
>>51448144
cant find
>>
>>51456097
/connect freenode
/join gnunet
wow
>>
>>51454259
I think gnunet doesn't work with VM
>>
>>51456110
didn't mean to quote you, but the anon that posted about rizon
>>
>>51456097
That's supposed to be for Rizon, right? There aren't very many people in the channel right now.
>>
How many files do you guys see under /g/? I see 51.
>>
>>51457839
Same here. Also, are you have problems clicking on some of the files? Specifically "no description supplied", and I think there may be another one
>>
when i publish something from my t420 and gnunet-gtk it works super fast with files ~400mb

but as soon as i try to publish from my pi with gnunet-publish -k /g/ CowboyBebop/somegayepisode.mp4 it NEVER PUBLISHES or gives me any output even if i -L info/error/debug/whatever

why is this so hard
>>
>>51458033
>from my pi
found the problem
>>
>>51446654
True, and this is presumably for educating children. What a shame.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildebeest#Etymology
>>
>>51458058
is that right though? Is publishing so cpu intensive that a pi cant pull through in a reasonable amount of time?

I bittorrent on my pi 24/7 and it has absolutely no problem doing that
>>
>>51458095
The real problem is you need peers to hit you with requests before gnunet lets you send any requests out
>>
>>51455032
I found it a while ago, just checked my search results now
Are you still publishing it? I'll give it a shot if yes
>>
>>51458486
I will be in a moment
>>
>>51458497
I just started dling now, got a few blocks already
>>
>>51458849
Done yet?`
>>
>>51459126
~13%
Sorry for the delays in reply btw
>>
>>51459214
Make sure your bandwidth limits are set to something sensible
>>
>>51459274
Up to 37% now, just set my caps to double what they were
>>
>>51456097
I don't know what I'm looking at but the room #/g/nunet does exist on rizon
>>
>>51459627
Just over 50% now
Hopefully this won't be so slow when more seeders happen
>>
>>51460029
>over 3 hours after the dowload started
>still only 50% done
G N U N E T
N
U
N
E
T
>>
File: considerthefollowing.jpg (9 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
considerthefollowing.jpg
9 KB, 251x251
>download as
>anonymity 0
>things download instantly
>>
>>51460488
Tried it, doesn't work. No noticeable performance difference.
>>
File: Chuunibyou - Dekomori 02.gif (1 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
Chuunibyou - Dekomori 02.gif
1 MB, 400x225
>run from SVN
>all these /g/ tags
>can't download any of them
Incompatibility is suffering
>>
>>51460881
It has nothing to do with incompatibility.
>>
>>51460488
To be serious, having people with anonymity:0 speeds up the network because they kickstart a domino reaction of sends.
>>
>>51461096
that's only if the network doesn't generate random meaningless sends once in a while
>>
>>51461112
Do it do this?

>>51461096
This was a question I had,
if we all started just downloading everything,
would that (counterintuitively) actually make everything faster?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.