[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What real benefits are there to rooting your smartphone? >inb4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
What real benefits are there to rooting your smartphone?

>inb4 android is botnet
>>
File: Screenshot_20151024-111712.png (59 KB, 768x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151024-111712.png
59 KB, 768x1280
You get to change the screen DPI setting so you don't have to deal with retarded huge text everywhere.

Coincidentally, this can also make Android default to using tablet UIs everywhere which tend to take better advantage of the screen.
>>
AdAway is enough of a reason.
>>
>>51442505
What about Firefox and ublock?
>>
>>51442531
The difference with AdAway is that it gets rid of most in-app ads as well, though it can't seem to block soundcloud ads or Youtube ads.
>>
>>51442420
android is botnet
>>
I don't know shit about android and am not a smart phone user but I mean I sure as shit would not be using a linux operating system without root access... even if its my phone.
>>
>>51442548
Eh, I'm good without root then.
>>
>>51442548
firefox and ublock stops youtube ads and you can play the vids in the background
>>
>>51442611
Why?
>>
>>51442420
gives you full control over the device that you sort of own
>>
>>51442724
what could you even do with full admin powers, that's worthwhile
>>
>>51442750
Google search it anon
>>
>>51442505
When using using adaway on youtube, my phone just quits and then the Samsung logo appears stuck in a loop, forcing me to take out the battery. Fucking pile of shit.
>>
>>51442794
all adaway does is put ad domains into your host files and optionally it sets up a proxy to filter out ads (which may work without root but nor while connected to mobile network)

you must have something else interfering
>>
>>51442946
I never touched the hosts file. Hell, I didn't even know that android has a hosts file. The xposed and wanam are the only apps with root permissions.
>>
File: heretic.jpg (17 KB, 232x217) Image search: [Google]
heretic.jpg
17 KB, 232x217
>>51442652
how is this a legitimate question
>>
I rooted for a call recorder app because I'm paranoid and I worry that every time I call someone they would die before I get to see them again and I need to archive the last thing I said to them.

Adaway is also nice.
>>
>>51443012
But you Don't need to root your phone just to use a call recorder app fanm.
>>
>>51442420
For me, the main thing is accessing the build.prop file to change the DPI.

Not a big thing, but my phone was like a one click root, so well worth the "effort".
>>
>>51442475
You don't need to root for that.
>>
>>51442750
>block all the ads (except some on youtube)
>install Freedom (which allows you toget ingame unlockable content for free)
>have access to root files (there are plenty of small useful things you can use this for)
>install SD Maid
>get custom ROMs
>get xposed framework

And... Why not? Rooting is really simple to do, it took me 15 minutes and I honestly don't know if it was even possible to fuck up and brick the phone.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.