[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been using Ubuntu for a while and I wanted to try
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
So I've been using Ubuntu for a while and I wanted to try out a new distro with more options.

>try archbang
>spend hour installing
>sudo pacman -Syyu to update
>can't use pacman to add anything until I update
>update
>breaks
>revert
>can't use pacman
>update
>breaks

After wasting my entire day on this, I give up. I know what's breaking but I just don't care anymore. Can you suggest a distro that can work on a shitty 8 year old laptop and won't constantly break? I have decided that I don't want bleeding edge, I want functionality.
>>
>>51442106
lubuntu or puppy linux
>>
>>51442106
> I have decided that I don't want bleeding edge, I want functionality.
Why not both? Give openSUSE tumbleweed a try, you'll love it.
>>
>>51442106
Debian?
If you're coming from Ubuntu, that's probably the best idea really.
You could also opt for Crunchbang (BunsenLabs) if you want an ultra-lightweight debian installation.
>>
anyone have that image of how a persons choice of distro changes over time?
>>
Void Linux with LXQt.
>>
>>51442212

>more options

what's that mean?
>>
>>51442246
This

it starts with ubuntu, then they get arch, and then they mature.
>>
>>51442106
>using any *bang distro
You are an idiot and deserve everything you received
>>
>>51443227
I didn't know any better. Would you mind elaborating?
>>
File: tm.jpg (47 KB, 728x546) Image search: [Google]
tm.jpg
47 KB, 728x546
>>51442106
>i can't install arch and break everything
i still don't get this meme
>>
File: kk.png (37 KB, 788x420) Image search: [Google]
kk.png
37 KB, 788x420
>>51442106
why'd you lie to me?
>>
>>51443878
try installing it with an ATI Radeon Xpress X1200
>>
I hate to be that guy but I just installed arch yesterday on a new pc and did an Syu today like I do everyday without a problem

what exactly is breaking
>>
>>51443947
sure. ship it to my address.
>>
>>51443954
During boot I get a black screen. I figured out that KMS is crapping out after disabling it through grub. With KMS disabled, the display functions improperly.

If I don't sudo pacman -Syyu I can't add any new packages

It's a rather nasty catch 22 I've tried to fix all day.
>>
>>51444062
You know pacman keeps the last 3 versions of every package you've ever installed in /var/cache/pacman/pkg ? Just check your logs and roll back the packages you updated.
>>
>>51442106
rolling release in a nutshell. why would any one who deploys anything of significance want this shit
>>
>>51444088
And once you've done that, add the offending package to the ignore list.
>>
>>51444103
It's not meant for enterprise, it's for enthusiasts/tinkerers.
>>
>>51444133
even that, the downtime is a heartache man
>>
>>51444088
>>51444114

In the OP I mention this is a fresh install of Arch. There are no packages to roll back too and no way to know exactly what package is the problem aside from manually downloading 200 seperate packages and rebooting after every single one.
>>
File: Chakra-shiny.svg.png (59 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Chakra-shiny.svg.png
59 KB, 600x600
>>51442106
>>
>>51444103
No you fucking retard. Rolling release is pretty much perfect in every way, and is likely the way most distributors will go in the near future.

The problem is that arch is *bleeding edge* NOT rolling release. Obviously shit breaks when you're running a bleeding edge distro that also has a rolling release model, you're pretty much permanently opting in for the alpha test.

Rolling release can and is perfectly stable on a stable release fucking distro.
>>
Distro hopping when what you had was working is stupid. Go with ubuntu minimal and install the DE you wanted. If you are on old hardware I recommend xfce or lxde.
>>
>>51444321
>Rolling release is pretty much perfect in every way, and is likely the way most distributors will go in the near future.
Nope, both Canonical and Red Hat disagree:
https://www.scrye.com/wordpress/nirik/2013/01/04/on-rolling-releases/

Linux ecosystem is just too fucking broken with no stable ABI/API/SDK. Packaging it to something stable can't be really done against some moving target.
>>
>>51442106
Fedora should be fine if you've got 2gb of ram.
>>
>>51442106
> I don't want bleeding edge, I want functionality
You want Debian or Slackware.
>>
>>51442106
Ubuntu minimal. Installs a base command line system like arch but is harder to shoot yourself in the foot.
>>
>>51442106
>archbang
kek
>>
>>51447090
>Slackware
>functionality
nope, being stuck in some 90s linux distro isn't very functional anymore
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.