[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's official, I hate BT their service is fine, but their
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: fuck you BT.png (14 KB, 603x445) Image search: [Google]
fuck you BT.png
14 KB, 603x445
It's official, I hate BT
their service is fine, but their DNS sucks

General ISP hate thread
>>
comcast in chicago right now is complete ass. also their dns is shit
>>
>>51436092
>their service is fine, but their DNS sucks

This. Glad I'm not the only one to notice it.

Just let us set some fucking DNS resolvers on the HomeHub, BT! I don't want to use your shitty fucking unreliable DNS!
>>
>>51436092
... and why are you using BTs DNS?
>>
>>51436551
>why are you using BTs DNS?

You can't change it the their router; if you want to use anything other than their DNS servers you have to set it manually on every device, and then you lose local DNS.
>>
>>51436092
sky's DNS sucks dick too, but at least using their router as a VDSL modem and having a different router means i can use google's DNS without having to change all my devices.
>>
>>51436092
>using your own ISP's company
>2015

Are you niggers serius?
Either use FreeDNS or OpenNIC.
Or hell even scroogles is better.
>>
>>51436652
>didn't read the thread
Back to >>>/v/
>>
>>51436682
I read the thread.
But this is also the reason you can buy new fucking gateways and replace the shitty ones your ISP gives you.
>>
>>51436092
>Not running your own DNS
/g/ is full of fucking tech illiterates.
>>
>>51436609
Put it in bridge mode and use your own?
Set up a dmz?
Dedicate a box for dns caching/forwarding?
>>
>>51436768
Thats too hard for a /g/aymer
>>
So WHY are ISPs so shit?

Any network engineers or telecom professionals on /g/ that can answer this question in detail?

Why would any given ISP only offer shit speeds? Why do they traffic shape the shit out of high traffic sites despite it being illegal in my country? Why do they charge me for X mbps and only actually give me Y% of X? Why do they still use phone cables and not fiber optics and then tell me I'm too far away from their DSLAM for the phone cable internet to work reliably? Why do they still sell me fucking phone services I don't want without the option of just giving me Internet? Why are the routers they give me so shitty and locked down and more expensive than much better aftermarket routers?

If I were to somehow start an ISP company whose express purpose is not being absolute shit, would I make it? Is it greed and laziness and taking the easy way out and monopolies and not giving a fuck that makes ISPs shit, or are there actual technical reasons and limitations for them to be such shitty companies?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.