[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the best Linux distro if all I want to do with my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 273x257) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 273x257
What's the best Linux distro if all I want to do with my computer is watch anime and browse the internet?

Also, if I use a live CD, can I install the whole OS to a flash drive and theoretically use it on any computer?
>>
>>51433635
Any distro that werks out of the box, so Ubuntu and Ubuntu based ones. Google for pictures, try the one you like the most, they all work the same way.

You can always boot from a flash drive, it's just going to be painfully slow.
>>
>>51433635
Xubuntu
Linux Mint Cinnamon

These can be installed alongside Windows to dual boot and test before you migrate.
>>
>>51433635
One of the recommended beginner ones. I would go for mint. Most modern motherboards will boot from USB so very likely yes.
>>
>>51433635
when using a live cd, none of your settings will stick on reboot
>>
Literally any distro will work great for that, the smaller ones are the more complicated less "it just werks" tho
>>
>>51433721
You can use a flashdrive and make a live USB instead. With this you can make a persistent file up to 4GB because of the limitations of FAT32.

You can use NTFS too but can't use the persistent file.

Or you can install the whole system in the flashdrive, it may be a little slow if you're using USB 2.0 but works just fine.
>>
Don't install -buntu or any african pygmy sounding bs

Research arch.
>>
>>51434099
>install Arch just to watch anime and browse the internet
There are support groups for people as autistic as you. Look them up.
>>
>>51433635
>What's the best Linux distro if all I want to do with my computer is watch anime and browse the internet?
Ubuntu makes it easier to keep Chrome, Firefox, and Baka-Mplayer up to date, so probably that.
>>
>>51433635
>What's the best Linux distro if all I want to do with my computer is watch anime and browse the internet?
Pretty much any simple distro.
If you want to stay light maybe lubuntu or xubuntu.

>Also, if I use a live CD, can I install the whole OS to a flash drive and theoretically use it on any computer?
I don't know if it's frowned upon in /g/, but you can use unetbootin to make a flash drive with a live installed, with persistant storage too, to boot on any pc you like.
But if you want to watch anime you risk running out of space fast, and as someone else already pointed out, it's slower an laggish, even on a USB3 flash drive.

>>51433713
If it's just for testing I would advise running them in a Virtual Machine. Much faster and safer.
>>
>>51434159
>There are support groups for people as autistic as you. Look them up.
I think he can find them in the completely opposite direction of a Desktop thread, if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>51433635
>can I install the whole OS to a flash drive and theoretically use it on any computer
>any computer
No. Just every x86 PC that is no mac and has booting from usb enabled, also only if you're allowed to.
>>
>>51433635
Windows
>>
Im pretty new to linux, but wouldn't puppy libux be a good alternative?
>>
>>51433635
Arch or manjaro
And yes you can install it to a flash drive.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.