[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need help, /g/.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
My computer started randomly shutting down today.

At first, I simply rebooted, but then it happened again and wouldn't turn on.

I let it cool for a bit and started it again. I thought it would be fine, but the problem happened again.

So I did a bit of research, and found that it is possibly an overheating issue. I ran SpeedFan, RealTemp, and the temp monitor software that came with my components, and the temperature peaked at 70c under 33% load in RealTemp. SpeedFan i sshowing some goofy shit for AUXIN values, but GPU CPU and System readings are well within tolerances.

Putting my hand on the case, and behind the fan vents, the PSU fan is blowing cold the entire time. The case is a bit hot near the exhaust fan, but it's supposed to be.

My PSU is a Corsair CX750m that's only about 18 months old. It really shouldn't be failing. On the other hand, the computer has essentially been on non-stop for that 18 months, but I've been harder on computers in the past and never run into this issue.

I'm really worried, and I want to know what else I can do to isolate the problem. Unfortunately, opening up the system isn't possible right at the moment. I may do it tomorrow, but it will be a pain in the dick.

Alternatively, are there settings (perhaps in the BIOS) that I can alter to stop the forced shut downs? Is there anything else that could be causing my problem that I'm missing?
>>
File: power-supply5[1].jpg (15 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
power-supply5[1].jpg
15 KB, 400x300
>>51432542
Anyone? Help me o/v/-wan kenobi. You're my only hope.
>>
You can spend a bunch of money and get one of these to test your psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899705003&cm_re=psu_tester-_-99-705-003-_-Product

They're kind of expensive for what they are and how often you'll use them.

The best way to test it is to probably open the psu case and look for the capacitors. Look for ones that blown.

If you can't find one that looks out of place you can do a simple test using to forks. Simply place one on each ground for a given capacitor. If they are good you will feel a slight vibration coming from the fork.
>>
>>51432585
>you can do a simple test using to forks.
heh.

any ideas about what else could be causing the problem? it seems to be running just fine right now, although i'm only using a web browser to post here, and running a jewtube video in the background (as well as typical OS bullshit, and my temp monitors). i'm peaking around 6-7% load. fans still blowing cold.
>>
>>51432542
Blow on it?
>>
If it helps any, I was gaming all day yesterday and I had no problems whatsoever. Then today, out of the blue, the thing just starts shutting down.
>>
>>51432542
try it with another psu?
>>
>>51432841
I don't have one available.

Also, I can't tear it down tonight. It would have to wait for the morning.
>>
>>51432542
>70c under 33% load
Jokes about toasters are jokes. Fix that shit.
>>
>>51432851
That's what RealTemp registered, although I'm not really sure what it's measuring. There's just 4 temp readings with no labels, and then "distance to TJMAx" associated with each one.

Even so, I should have had another 20-30 degrees C before it was genuinely overheating, if I'm reading it right.
>>
>>51432542

>70c under 33% load

If you havent even opened the case how do you know the fan is even spinning?
>>
>>51432902
well, i can feel air from the PSU fan, and the case vent fan. the GPU fan registers on ASUS GPU Tweak. the CPU fan registers in SpeedFan and the BIOS.

although I do have a Cooler Master CPU/fan combo that I let the damn salesman upsell me on at MicroCenter. He sold me the wrong fucking one, too. I have an intel system, and the one I got was bracketed for an AMD mainboard. i had to... erm... do some "engineering" to get it to fit. Never had any problems with it before now, though.

On the other hand, now that you mention it, the reported RPM is NOT stable. it's jumping from ~500 RPM to over 1000 with no change in CPU load. I can't hear any difference, though.

And anyway, I don't think the CPU temp is the issue. I've got an i7 4770k, it should easily be able to work at 70c.

maybe I should undervolt it as a stopgap? or disable turboboost or something?
>>
>>51432902
But, you know what, I was doing some heavy gaming yesterday with no problems. Why on earth would it start shutting bricks today out of nowhere?
>>
>>51432967
>Cooler Master CPU/fan combo
i meant CPU heatsink/fan combo.
>>
Buy a new psu
>>
>>51433244
I can't be sure it's the PSU, though. How do I isolate it?
>>
>>51433322
Isolate the problem, I mean.
>>
>>51433329
K
>>
Jump start the psu and see if it will power your fans.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.