[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it risky to buy used ram? Does ram go bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 10082157.jpg (27 KB, 360x433) Image search: [Google]
10082157.jpg
27 KB, 360x433
Is it risky to buy used ram? Does ram go bad?
>>
why buy it? just download it for free
>>
ram, like that gentleman, is a fine wine

it gets better with age
>>
RAM is like any other component. Of course it can go bad and of course it's risky to buy it used. Just buy it from a reputable seller or through a service that will cover you if the seller is a liar and won't take it back.
>>
>>51432497
Consumer feature demand for RAM is high fidelity.

Because so many things can fuck up in a PC when its RAM is bad, naturally demand for infaliable RAM was number 1. This lead to RAM that almost never breaks, leading to consumers, like buying a fridge, buy RAM once and never have to look back.

It is for this same reason that the RAM market became depressed a few years ago, and all the memory companies branched out into everything else. e.g. Corsair and Kingston. You buy RAM once, and only once till there is a DIM change like with DDR4.
>>
>>51432497
RAM doesn't usually go bad, but it can also be bad an only rarely display it.
People often dismiss problems as being a RAM issue because they only occur once a week and not under similar conditions (play a game for hours fine, then get a crash another day when playing for a few minutes).

You could buy the RAM and have no issues for months, but then when the weather is a bit warmer and your ambient temp is a bit higher you start getting occasional crashes.

Generally just buy RAM new because you can RMA it easily.
>>
>>51432575
>mfw I have three different kinds of RAM that might need replacing
At least DDR is cheap now
DDR2 is still not
And I still ought to move up to 16GB of better DDR3 on my main machine.
>>
>>51432655
>DDR2 is still not

What? Is $15 for 8gb too expensive for you? Hell even DDR4 is pretty cheap
>>
>>51432975
>$15 8GB
Point me at it because that ain't what I'm seeing locally.
>>
>>51432975
ddr2 is not that cheap, it's like 80% of the price of ddr3
>>
In my experience RAM is faulty more often than any other component but it is also pretty hard to hide it, ideally run memtest on it or something before you fully accept it. If it is ok when you buy it the chance of it going bad on you are relatively slim (just like the other components).
>>
>>51432975
I don't think you can even get 8GB DDR2. Even 4GB DDR2 was pricey. 4x 2GB would probably be the cheapest and you wont get that unless someone gives it away for $15.
>>
>>51432497

better question, does it really matter to buy dual channels in packs if you have other dimms for the same slot

does the speed actually matter that much
>>
How fucking poor do you have to be to buy used ram???
>>
>>51433185
Poor enough to be using DDR2 at all.
>>
>>51433161
If I remember correctly this is retarded.
I'm pretty sure if for example you have a 2.1ghz stick and a 2.4ghz stick they will both run at 2.1
>>
>>51433249

but again, the entire speed of ram is pointless, its been shown on various bench tests that its franctions of a percent difference in performance no matter if you have a meme DDR4 or a slow ass 800 DDR3

my point is, if you mix an match speeds or different brands that werent sold together and dont have them in the proper order on the mobo, does it really matter as long as the total RAM is still added up properly
>>
File: holy crackers.png (3 MB, 2048x2048) Image search: [Google]
holy crackers.png
3 MB, 2048x2048
>>51433124
>tfw paid 500 USD for 4x2GB DDR2 during the LGA775 days
>>
Asked this in another thread but this might be more useful. What are your opinion on buying RAM from Chinese wholesalers?

Like. In my country 4gb's cost like 50-60 bucks. While in Commieland it's closer to 20.
>>
>>51433370
Ram is ram.
Just make sure it's legit. I've never heard of fake ram though...
I know you can get es processors and fake graphics cards though.
>>
>>51433283

Unless APU
>>
>>51432497
It's anecdotal, but the only time RAM fucked up was because of me.
I rarely saw faulty RAM
Even 15yo ram from a old dell dimension work (HDD and CPU are almost ded)
>>
>>51433283
What about the fallout 4 ram bench?
I know it's a horribly optimised game but that should still indicate something, right?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.