[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why Windows Update continues to be a slow and shitty update manager,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: cap.png (255 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
255 KB, 1680x1050
Why Windows Update continues to be a slow and shitty update manager, when every Linux package manager not only updates the core packages but the programs you've installed.
>>
>why does Windows Update only update Windows and optionally other Microsoft software by enabling Microsoft Update
>WINDOWS Update
I FUCKING WONDER
>>
I am so fucking confused by that picture
>OS X window decoration for the top, implies that it is Windows 8 in a VM
>UNITY side dock
>Windows updater and programs

WTF OP
>>
>>51429026
Not OP but it's probably an OS X-style theme for Ubuntu. He's running Windows 8.1 in a VM.
>>
>>51429026
It's Virtualbox Running Windows 8.1 on Ubuntu 14.04 host. BTW the windows 8.1 taskbar is set to autohide to get better use of the screen, it's really comfy.
>>
>>51429056
What a strange setup. The OS X window theme for Ubuntu almost had me fooled, where did you find it?
>>
>>51429091
I don't even remember but i guess it's from noobslab's themes repo.
>>
>>51428947
Its not for updating other packages
>>
>>51428947
>slow
Understatement, I thought my netbook was freezing up after an hour or so, turns out it needed like more than an hour to figure out what to update. I did the update then wiped it all and installed a linux but haven't had much time to spend on it yet. The stock updater is superior no question.

Obviously under a MS update many tentacles need to probe every orifice of the box, not just MS but am guessing the spooks as well now. You could imagine the almighty horror and clusterfuck with a windows update spoofing attack and 8 billion botnets served or whatever.

Much could be alleviated by not using the real world as a beta testing environment for the OS.
>>
>>51429192
that's the problem with every part of the OS, it's a spaghetti code mess of legacy support, i mean look at the mess of %appdata% and the registry.
>>
>>51428947
>2 recycle bins
>>
>>51429419
the scary part: the huge clusterfuck that is %appdata% was meant as a cleanup of what came before (which was basically anyone put anything wherever. Ever see a normie's "my documents", especially back in the day?)
>>
>>51428947
>>51428983
The funny thing is is that linux package managers update the whole system with everything on it in a few seconds and it takes windows hours to update windows alone.
>>
>>51430369
>hours
Works on my machine.
>>
>>51429616
dude really?, Do you understand that he is running a virtual machine?
>>
>>51429616

>literally retarded: the post
>>
File: flashbang.jpg (27 KB, 771x510) Image search: [Google]
flashbang.jpg
27 KB, 771x510
GNU/Linux is a modular system designed to dynamically update itself in a plethora of situations. Windows is a desktop operating system with a different design scheme. It will always be like this. You autists can stop arguing now.
>>
>>51430556
https://github.com/OneGet/oneget
>>
>>51430377
When's the last time you actually had to update a machine from OS install though? Windows update is assssssssssssssssss ass ass assssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
>>
>>51430680
Very recently. Windows 10 updates smoothly as fuck.
>>
>>51430718
That's a brand new OS retard. Try one that actually has a shitload of updates for it like Windows 7 or Windows 10 in a year or so. And Windows 10 is a pile of garbage why on earth would you use that at all.
>>
>>51431504
>what is the Media Creation Tool
And Windows 7 is deprecated. I prefer Windows 8.1 on my Surface, though.
>>
>>51431613
I use media creation tool, retard. Has nothing to do with the fact that windows needs a shitload of updates outside of sp1/8.1

Microsoft doesn't bother keeping their source installs up to date whatsoever you just get the odd service pack and then have to download a million updates off windows update. MS is literally dogshit tier.
>>
>>51431650
Nice bait. The Media Creation Tool gives you updated installation media on a periodical basis, it's not my fault you don't update the installation media.

Windows 10 is just like 8.1 on that regard, the tool gives you the latest version.
>>
>>51429055
>>51429056
he could also be using that Unity/Seamless mode thing from Virtualbox
>>
>>51431673
>The Media Creation Tool gives you updated installation media on a periodical basis

No, it gives you an ISO based on MS's release cycle which is exactly what it always has been = vanilla, sp1, sp2, etc

I literally just used the media creation tool yesterday to try Windows 10 and had to install several updates from windows update after.
>>
I'm glad I'm past all this garbage. It's never touching any of my machines ever again.
>>
>>51431753
But that's wrong.
>>
>>51428947

Reinstall from scratch, setup a tap interface and bridge it with eth0.

iptables -A FORWARD -d 192.168.1.0/24 -m mac <vm mac address> -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -m mac <vm mac address> -j DROP

Nuke it from orbit, then reinstall and mute the fucker forever. It's the only way to be sure.

Honestly kids, the show's over. Windows just isn't internet ready, never was.
>>
>>51431775
No, it isn't. Media creation tool gives you an iso that corresponds to whatever they've released in retail channels. It's not some special update mechanism. It's just like downloading an iso from digital river.
>>
>>51431753
the Media Creation tool only downloads ISOs by major builds (7600/7.0, 7601/7.1, 9200/8.0, 9600/8.1, 10240/10.0, 10586/10.1) which does not contain updates made after that certain build is made
>>
>>51432514
How long before they stop pushing out major builds rapidly? I give them a year or two tops. Then it will be update hell all over again.
>>
>>51431856
>>51432514
It slipstreams certain updates to the latest release of the OS.
>>
>>51434272
No, it provides you with a major build. Slipstreaming is taking an individual patch or service pack and applying it to an OS source install.
>>
>>51434489
Dude, I was there when they tool was first provided. Folks reverse-engineered and found that it not only gives you the latest release of the OS but it also slipstreams certain updates so that you install the OS with them already installed.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.