[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best OS for programming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632 KB, 1464x1986) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632 KB, 1464x1986
I know this is quite early for someone like me but I don't want to waste lots of money.

I used to be on the verge of switching to Linux but I tried it and I get so frustrated when trying to fix stupid problems like connecting to WiFi. I don't want to waste my time on this, so I'm no longer considering it. It's a pain in the ass trawling Google and seeing a million solutions to every problem with a million steps to each solution.

So it's windows vs OSX. OSX would require me to get an expensive laptop while windows has security issues, I think, though that's minor. Also installing everything on windows and setting it up to work is a pain. With the Linux command line, it all just werks while windows makes it a pain.

What do you think?
>>
OSX
>>
>>51426808
/thread
>>
TempleOS
>>
OSX has basically the linux command line. Install homebrew for a nice cli package manager.
>>
>>51423816
>gets frustrated fixing WiFi issues
I don't think you should continue programming
>>
>>51426795
>Nietzsche
https://github.com/TsarN/uber-os
>>
>>51426893
Don't know why that got quoted
>>
>>51426795
Linux.
>>
>>51426808
>>51426872
no, fucking macfags, it can;t be the best because not everyone can get it.

Linux
OSX
then Windows

OSX is ok but not God tier like how most people think
>>
>>51426795
I don't understand how you ran into problems like wifi and such, because most mainstream Linux distros are perfectly fine nowadays.

I'd suggest you using Linux. Windows is a configuration nightmare if you want to do some programming, and OSX is for faggots. So while Linux might have some issues for you, it saves you a lot of time by having preinstalled tools for programming.
>>
File: 1421424099789.png (35 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1421424099789.png
35 KB, 1200x1200
>>51426795
anything that isn't Windows
>>
>>51427501
"I hate Windows."

How original. Everyone and their family seems to hate Windows these days...except me.

I guess you gotta work corporate and six figures to appreciate the operating system.

That's right...it's good for me in that sense.
>>
>>51426795
I'm using Windows 10 for programming and it's working great. I tried Linux, and it worked pretty good, although I haven't done any programming with Linux so I can't speak for that.
I'm learning Python currently and I have had zero problems with configuration. Both Linux and Windows are great OSs in my opinion. I just prefer Windows because of the familiar interface.
>>
Your choice of OS has no impact on your programming. You can get anything to run under anything aslong as you try hard enough. With some exceptions like game engines that run exclusively on windows

>>51427128
>Windows is a configuration nightmare
That's only if you want to do C or C++ and the setup isn't that complicated. Especially if you use VS.

>>51426795
>So it's windows vs OSX. OSX would require me to get an expensive laptop while windows has security issues,

Windows has not had serious security issues since XP unless you execute something you shouldn't. If you do that you are fucked...

What you can do however is buy a x220t thinkpad and have perfect linux support and an excellent machine for $300.
>>
best house for cooking?
>>
Best OS for programming, if you are going to be serious, is Slackware.
>>
File: 1447535691164.gif (3 KB, 192x120) Image search: [Google]
1447535691164.gif
3 KB, 192x120
>>51427694
This desu. Use whatever the fuck you want. If you want to be a faggot with an overpriced laptop with a BSD clone, go with OSX. If you want to use Windows, use Windows It's not that hard OP
>>
>>51426795
It doesn't matter, they're all exactly the same.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.