[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your honest opinion of women in STEM, /g/entlemen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6
File: kek_0.jpg (101 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
kek_0.jpg
101 KB, 768x1024
What's your honest opinion of women in STEM, /g/entlemen? Any stories?

I'm first year software development, and I've already seen majority of the girls in there drop the course.
>>
>>51426069
The only people who dropped out of the Intro to C++ class I'm finishing up now were female.
>>
>>51426069
The people at college aren't much different than high school.
>>
This is going to be a quality thread, I can tell.
>>
Two hoes in my x86 assembly class. Get by because all the nerds tutor them hoping to get some. They don't get any. Stupid hoes are gonna pass
>>
>>51426069
We need more of them in STEM. My CS classes are filled with beta nerds, DESIGNATED, and Alluha Akbars. The ones that stay the course are some of the best students, programmers, and people I know.
>>
>>51426069
Real girls in stem don't give a shit about being a girl in stem, only people in it for attention are.
>>
>>51426069
>women in STEM
Asian girls mean business and know their shit
the rest of them are idiots who think they can coast through it like everything else, they've usually flunked out by the end of sophomore year.
my personal experience
>>
>>51427527
Not strictly programming, but I remember going to a university auto research center and seeing a bunch of Indians right off the bat. Also most of the time they travel in packs at my college, it's weird.

>>51427881
Supposedly there's less of a "princess" thing among asians than other girls, probably all the abortions.
>>
File: Kinderpepe.jpg (67 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
Kinderpepe.jpg
67 KB, 720x960
I have an Indian girl that literally makes 100s in ever other class besides programming. I think it's just because women can't think logically desu senpai.
>>
>>51427881
>idiots who think they can coast through it like everything else
In my experience most people are like this, boys and girls, so it's not just a girl thing. So what makes guys more likely to NOT be like that in STEM classes? Is it because they're more likely to be losers that have no other options, i.e. "fuck it, I'm definitely not going to be popular and get by on my social skills and connections, so I'd better fucking do this one thing I know I'm good at?"
>>
>>51429552
I met plenty of girls in college that were good at math, though. Not, like, hardcore mathematicians, but certainly good enough for anything you're likely to do in programming (and yes I know programming != comp sci, but still).
>>
File: ISIS_credentials.png (27 KB, 693x219) Image search: [Google]
ISIS_credentials.png
27 KB, 693x219
>>51429529
They travel in packs at my uni too. They are in IT/CS or engineering. They wear flip flops, jeans, and button down t-shirts and smell like garbage or a shit ton of cologne.
>>
>>51429611
>Islamic U of Baghdad
if I saw this anywhere else I would think the person was making a stereotype joke
>>
>>51426069
I love it. Just need to find me a STEM woman so I can retire and be a stay at home man.
>>
>>51426749
kek its happening the same in one of my classes
>>
>>51429552
dumb frogposter
>>
There's a lot of muslim and asian girls in my comp sci classes, and some whites, and even black now that I think about it. They all seem to be pretty average among everyone else academically speaking.

Academic performance being race/sex related is a meme. If you're motivated, you'll do well. If not, you'll fail.
>>
File: SATadmmision.jpg (51 KB, 680x476) Image search: [Google]
SATadmmision.jpg
51 KB, 680x476
>>51429738
>Academic performance being race related is a meme
>>
>>51429529
>Supposedly there's less of a "princess" thing among asians than other girls, probably all the abortions.

(CS Degree here) There were lots of Chinese and Vietnamese girls in my CS program. I didn't find them proportionally smarter than any other people. Only one white girl graduated with me - she was cool but quite the nerd. I had a Vietnamese lab partner (CE courses) for two semesters - 5/10 face 9/10 body and she used to wear ass-cheek hugging shorts every day with heel boots. Drove me crazy but she was totally uninterested (pretty certain she was not into guys).

One of the smartest girls I knew in CS was another Vietnamese girl who was going for her second BS (already had one in engineering and had worked in the field for a bit)....good study partner (among other things).
>>
>>51429775
There are a lot more contributing factors than genealogy when interpreting those kind of statistics.

Academic performance isn't directly correlative with actual intelligence, however.
>>
>>51429834
>muh social background
>muh oppression by white crackers
>>
>>51429834
No Child Left Behind!
>>
>>51429848
Even if it's self-inflicted bullshit, it has a rippling effect.
>>
>>51427527
Agreed. About 75% of the girls that made it through 4 years of CS at my school, actually ended up also being in the top of their classes. And knew what they were doing. A much higher proportion than many of the male idiots that made it through the program. Worth noting- my intro to CS class was around 200 students. By the time I graduated, CS major had 17 students. It probably helped that my college had a really strong math program and it was 50% women.
There's def a selection bias- the ones that are average- drop out bc the culture sucks. Only the above average females stay. This is only at my program though. Where failing was easy.
>>
> Intro into CS around 200 people, 20 girls
> end of 3th year ~25, no girls
>>
>>51430076
>3th
>>
>>51430076
statistically speaking- given that rate of attrition- you'd expect there to be 2.5 girls. I'm too lazy to do the math right now- but a difference in 2 girls doesn't seem to be a statistically significant, especially given the small sample size.
>>
>>51430076
Were the girls indian and chinese?
>>
some of them are bright and really driven. i noticed girls usually learn by following instructions. they succeed in controlled environments where there's a set path they can follow.
but when things get stressful they freak out and generally become useless.
there was only one girl engineer in our class but I noticed she easily got an internship while most people didn't get anything until graduation. her grades weren't even that good.

you can tell some are attracted to the field because it suits them, but most women aren't cut out for it.
>>
>>51430264
>but when things get stressful they freak out and generally become useless.
heh

>there was only one girl engineer in our class but I noticed she easily got an internship while most people didn't get anything until graduation. her grades weren't even that good.
Probably because the companies are desperate for women.
>>
File: 1443913254751.jpg (18 KB, 207x222) Image search: [Google]
1443913254751.jpg
18 KB, 207x222
>take some IT courses
>1/4th are female, the fat annoying loser types
>professor keeps mentioning how happy she is to see so many females interested in IT since they're rare, standard female empowerment shit on the first day

>halfway through the semester they're all gone
>>
>>51430437
>dropping IT
Top kek. I had a good number of women in my intro to programming class and most dropped it.
>>
>>51430264
>i noticed girls usually learn by following instructions. they succeed in controlled environments where there's a set path they can follow.
That's literally anyone with a conformity thing or anyone who wants to do well (who doesn't have adhd) or anyone who drinks a lot of coffee. It's just not an excuse.

>but when things get stressful they freak out and generally become useless.
That's literally anyone who doesn't manage stress, only people who've spent 5+ years mastering meditation or secretly enjoy stimulants aren't like this.

>there was only one girl engineer in our class but I noticed she easily got an internship while most people didn't get anything until graduation. her grades weren't even that good.
Honest to god sexism that everyone is willing to pretend isn't sexism.

Please don't make excuses for pathological leftism, anything that puts people on unequal footing is undeniably bigoted and unequal. Putting white men to huge expectations and making them lower preference based on those high expectations is still bigoted and unequal. People should either excel by their own merit or not at all, any other option hurts productivity.
>>
>>51429775
So 155 male dropouts vs 20 female dropouts?
>>
>>51426749
>stupid hoes
the hoes as you say are smart
the beta's are stupid

>>51426069
Would be great, rarely see them though, shame honestly...
>>
>>51430232
Just some russian girls, which dropped after the first semester.
>>
File: 1373667163475.jpg (80 KB, 435x434) Image search: [Google]
1373667163475.jpg
80 KB, 435x434
> Engineering Placement Opportunity [FEMALE APPLICANTS ONLY]
>>
More women enter higher education
Women are more likely to complete higher education

The difference is the majority of men see STEM education as their only opportunity for a stable career and pursue that goal, especially in IT. Women are more open to pursuing other education paths.
>>
>>51430508
I'm a useless lazy shit until I'm stressed and when I am stressed I am god tier
>>
>>51426069
I graduated recently (IT Engineer). We were about 30. 4 females.
>>
>>51432224
Don't try meth, guaranteed it'll destroy your life without any hope.
>>
>>51426069
Using Hola to get past your bans, crip?
>>
>>51429788
What else was she good at?
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.