[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newbie at Ubuntu here. Can someone tell me the survival applications
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: cof_orange_hex_400x400.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
cof_orange_hex_400x400.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
Newbie at Ubuntu here.

Can someone tell me the survival applications for Ubuntu, as preferably the sudo commands to install them. Also is chromium better then firefox for ubuntu, because firefox is slow and unresponsive.
>>
>>51425851
Are you too retarded to use Google to look up what's in the repository?
>>
>>51425851
>sudo commands to install them
Do yourself a favor and sudo apt-get install synaptic

Best frontend for apt.

Survival applications depend on what you are doing.

And chromium is never better. It may be slightly faster but it's an unreliable pile of shit.
>>
>>51425851
install synaptic and gdebi
remove amazon app and online search
install unity tweak tool

>firefox
>chromium
shitty memes senpai
install opera/vivaldi
>>
Remember to clear the memory cache of your harddrive as ubuntu swap feature can overdo it and make you lag.

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M
>>
If you are retarded enouth to seek help on /g instead of Google then you should uninstall Ubuntu.
>>
 sudo apt-get install xfce 

you're welcome
>>
File: RealNiggaShitMayne.gif (1 MB, 390x293) Image search: [Google]
RealNiggaShitMayne.gif
1 MB, 390x293
>>51425851
get synaptic, boot-repair and backintime. Synaptic is basically a gui frontend for apt-get. It makes getting new packages way easier. Backintime backs up your data, so when shitn happens you'll at least have a snapshot of your data, and you can recover easily. Boot-Repair fixes any problems with your grub when they arise.

>>sudo apt-get install synaptic
>>sudo apt-get install backintime
>>sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair
>>sudo apt-get install boot-repair
>>
>>51428789
Samefag here. Also remove the amazon apps and amazon search if you have straight up Unity
>>
>>51427439
Couldn't agree more. Honestly I don't know why the installer doesn't just run that.
>>
>>51428806
Samefag again. Run sudo apt-get update to make sure that the PPA I gave you is included in your ppa list
>>
>>51428789
>Backintime
How does Backintime differs from the built-in backup on Ubuntu? I have never used any of those.
>>
>>51428860
The built in tool is called deja-dup btw.
>>
File: Workspace 1_001.png (908 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Workspace 1_001.png
908 KB, 1366x768
>>51425851
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
>>
>>51428860
Deja-Dup gives you a key that encrypts your data, if I remember correctly. If you lose that key, your data's basically useless. Backintime doesn't use a key. It just backs up all your data and it encrypts it if you want it to be encrypted. Also it's simpler to use
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.