[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just installed Mint. How do I go back to my windows 8.1 partition,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Sad-Frog-Meme-Gun-15.png (70 KB, 440x470) Image search: [Google]
Sad-Frog-Meme-Gun-15.png
70 KB, 440x470
I just installed Mint. How do I go back to my windows 8.1 partition, assuming I didn't delete it by accident? When I restart it goes striaght to mint
>>
>>51423946
you allauhakbar'd your windows 8.1 partition m8

sorry
>>
>>51423946
Going back from linux?

wtf
>>
>>51423946
Go into bios and find the key for choosing boot partition
>>
>>51423946
can you see the partition in mint? if not then you fugged up hard to be honest family
>>
>>51424000

I don't know what that means.

Also I don't think i killed my windows partition. I already had an ubuntu partition adn when I installed mint it asked me if I wanted to delete it, and I said yes.

I backed up my few important documents from windows, so I have lost nothing, but seeing ten million complicated fixes for this problem on google makes me lose hope.
>>
>>51424033
fix grub

nice dubs
>>
>>51424069

I've tried messing with grub

$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

$ sudo update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Warning: Setting GRUB_TIMEOUT to a non-zero value when GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT is set is no longer supported.
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-38-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-38-generic
No volume groups found
done

At least the wifi hasn't fucked up yet, the situation is tolerable.
>>
>>51424033
see >>51424018
If you don't see the drive in mint, you're fugged.
>>
>>51424033
You press F2 or whatever the computer tells you to press during bootup, and it takes you to a settings page where you can change the hard drive you boot from.
>>
>>51424116

When I click on "Computer" I see the Mint "File System" drive and another drive with a weird name and I can't access it.
>>
>>51424169
Is the drive with the weird name the size of the windows partition?
>>
>>51424192
It doesn't say a size.
>>
>>51424291
Right click => properties?
>>
Looks like you have the grub menu timeout set to 0 so you can't see the menu to choose which os to boot.

Hold shift key when booting to make grub appear then select windows from the menu.
>>
>>51424317

It says unknown.

I tried holding shift as I was booting but it did nothing. I pressed one of the F buttons a while back and got this blue menu but I can't figure out how to get it again
>>
>>51423946
Boot into your live USB and install bootrepair.
>>
install gento
>>
Guys, I just went on the blue menu you get by pressing F2 at startup and I don't see windows as a boot option, only two Ubuntu ones
>>
If I can't figure this out then a way stop mint disconnecting from WiFi would be good as well
>>
>>51424725
Congrats, you fucked it.
Welcome to linux.
>>
OP here, recommend me a laptop under £400 on Amazon.co.uk pls
>>
>>51424860
just install windows again...
format it and do a clean install
>>
>>51424762
what is your wireless card
>>
>>51424910
I have no CD or any of that jazz
>>
>>51424799
>Install alongside Windows
>Just fuck my shit up
Gee I wonder which one should I use. You make it sound like OP is actually capable of installing any OS. The only reason why he had working Windows partition in first place was probable because it came preinstalled with his laptop.
>>
>>51424935
How the fuck did you install linux
>>
Lmao what a dumb cunt. This is why retards should just stick to babby Windows.
>>
>>51425178
>Install linux you retard!
>Installs linux
>Wow just stick to Windows retard!
>>
>>51424935
That unnamed drive is probably still windows. If the size of hard drive - size of current mint filesystem is anywhere close to the size of your windows partition, then you still have windows installed. Download windows 8.1 installation media and use the recovery option to fix the windows boot manager
>>
>>51425364

OP here, I'm going to do this.

The next laptop I'll buy will be a Mac. I only installed Linux because the command line makes installing tonnes of stuff for software development easy, but it can't connect to WiFi either in Ubuntu or mint. Many other routers are in range and its random whether they're detected as well.

Every single mint problem has 9001 solutions on Google, each with 9001 extremely technical steps. I thought Linux just werked? It doesn't werk, not at all.
>>
>>51425450
Now you've experienced the meme hopefully you won't fall for it again :^)
>>
>>51425450
did you at least try holding shift on boot so that the grub loader menu would pop up?

someone up above mentioned it, I think.
>>
>>51425574
I tried it, nothing happened.

I did the F2 on startup thing twice. Despite doing nothing else, the first occasion it showed a loader as an option (didn't know how to select it), the second time it didn't show any windows loader option
>>
File: 1433417428254.jpg (107 KB, 602x458) Image search: [Google]
1433417428254.jpg
107 KB, 602x458
>>51424033
>He went balls deep linux.
>Not VMbox test run
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.