[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My friend wants to buy the new macbook, because his lenovo from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 14
File: macbook-select-gold-201501.jpg (140 KB, 1200x630) Image search: [Google]
macbook-select-gold-201501.jpg
140 KB, 1200x630
My friend wants to buy the new macbook, because his lenovo from 2009 is too slow,help me explain to him why he shouldn't.
>>
>>51423776
if he's that retarded, just let him do it
>>
but he should
macbooks are great
>>
Let him buy it you can't change his mind even if he doesn't buy a macbook he is gonna find another way to waste his money at least maybe he will learn from his mistakes.
>>
Had a friend do the same thing last year because he installed so much bloatware and didn't understand that that was the reason his pc was so slow. Nigger didn't listen and got a MacBook anyways. Save your breath OP
>>
>>51423776
Apparently he needs new friends with money.
>>
>help me explain to him why he shouldn't.
>I can't come up with any compelling arguments so I need a /g/ copypasta
>>
>upgrade lenovo
>install hackingtosh
>???
>literally profit
>>
>>51423810
>>
File: IMG_0896.jpg (2 MB, 3024x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0896.jpg
2 MB, 3024x3024
>>51423776
>2015
>not buying the best laptop
>>
>>51424095
>fn and ctrl are inverted
why
>>
>>51424241
it's a mac, command is the actual control.
>>
>>51423776
Tell him he can get a laptop nearly as thin and just as portable for the same and usually for less.

He won't have problems with the CPU throttling then either.
>>
>>51424373
which is retarded
>>51424241
you mean like a Lenovo?
>>
Explain to him that the 2015 rmbp is the best he can get, and that the macbook is just a child's toy that throttles, has one port, and mid-tier hardware.
>>
>>51424241
>it's ok when IBM/Lenovo's Thinkpad does it
>>
>>51424429
>which is retarded
I can already tell that you aren't old enough to have experienced computing before Microsoft took over.
>>
Really nice laptop if you're prepared to do without any wired i/o (which is pretty viable these days).
>>
>>51424095
>Buying a crippled 1st-gen apple product
>>
Checked one of these out at the store for the first time a week ago. I could not fucking believe how light they are. I have a 13" rMBP which feels like it's made out of lead by comparison.

How much less powerful is the 12" Macbook vs. the 13" Pro? Because it seemed smooth enough in the store.
>>
>>51423776
It's a mac....
>>
>>51424482
>2015 rmbp is the best he can get
BASED
>>
>>51423776
Over priced piece of shit
>>
>>51424630
Depends what you do with it.

rMBP is what you want if you're doing anything other than facebook.
>>
>>51424489
No it's not. But who fucking cares, chinkpads are cheap, macbooks are expensive. You would expect good things out of expensive things. Unless you like eating shit out of your hands.
>>
>>51424617
>not having enough money to buy a new MacBook every year
>>
>>51423776
Explain to him that buying the new macbook would make you jealous, ask him to consider your feelings of inferiority before making a decision. A good friend will buy a worse laptop so you don't feel inadequate.
>>
File: cheap.jpg (867 KB, 2841x3962) Image search: [Google]
cheap.jpg
867 KB, 2841x3962
>>51424675
>chinkpads are cheap, macbooks are expensive
Only if you compare apples to oranges. If you take a brand new T450s and upgrade it with specs so it matches the base 13" MBP (also brand new), you're more than 100 bucks above the Mac's price but still get lower screen resolution (debatable if it makes sense to get 2560×1600 on 13") and an SSD based on SATA instead of PCIe. See pic attached.
I got a x250 myself and I absolutely love it, but please don't spread FUD like that.
>>
>>51424865
Thinkpads also have awful trackpads and speakers
>>
>>51424520
Spot on, doesn't make it less retarded in 2015
>>
>>51424890
In comparison, yes. But that's not the important factor. I was just disproving the stupid FUD that /g/ memers actually believe.
>>
>>51424865
At 13" anything above standard laptop res is wasteful, but if apple makes it you'll be sure they'll lather it with glitter to make it worth gold
>>
>>51424934
That's not the point. MBP price is still lower than the beloved Thinkpad.
>>
>>51424890
E420 here w/ win10 here.

Idk what you're talking about
>>
>>51424865
>buying from lenovo
Buy used thinkpads on ebay
>>
>>51423776
The only reason I don't use Apple laptops anymore is because I can't use a dock, otherwise I'd buy a MacBook
>>
>>51424948
but it's better because it can be maintained, upgraded and has a better keyboard
>>
>>51424959
That's the apples and oranges.
And if we go that lane, doesn't it make more sense to invest in a MacBook since they are worth much more used than a comparable Thinkpad?
>>
>>51424968
if not b8, faggot. not even an appshill
>>
>>51424972
>maintained
what does that even mean?
>upgraded
normal people don't upgrade their pcs and you're expecting them to upgrade their laptops?
>>
>>51424952
Clearly haven't used a mac trackpad

My school has T530s for us to use and the trackpad is miles behind my MBPs
>>
>>51424982
I don't see what's wrong with the MacBook. Sure you wouldn't buy it if you plug things into it all the time, but I don't and that's the main gripe. I use a laptop as a browsing and SSH machine, any low power CPU with an iGPU will work
>>
>>51424972
>maintained
Granted you are the one doing it. If you'd bring it to a shop even a MacBook can be maintained.
>upgraded
True, but Lenovo has shown in the recent past that they don't care about that so much anymore; upgrades are becoming much harder to do and I predict they'll go an Apple-esque route to pitch sales for more machines.
>better keyboard
I agree, but it depends on taste and preference, to be honest.
>>
>>51424989
Fix it when something goes wrong. Think pad has screws and can be deconstructed. MacBook is obscured. Different anon, but I think you are right about the price issue. It's just about a different use case.
>>
Macbook is an iPad with a keyboard.
As a second computer it is worth it. But as your main computer it is profoundly retarded thing to buy.
>>
>>51424630
I owned one for a couple weeks, it would literally lag while I was working on a word doc and watching YouTube.
>>
Apple is one of the most backwards companies in existence when regarding maintenance of their own products. Look into it. They're basically the scum of the earth according to any IT/tech repair business.
>>
mfw using chrome botnet.
>>
>>51424865
This is true. The price argument is utter rubbish. I dislike macs for the restrictiveness of their software and hardware. I also find their design aesthetic very childish. Purely in terms of hardware when bought new, they are as good as any other high end machine from any manufacturer.
>>
It might be different where you are, but where I live, nobody uses the mini display port or thunderbolt or whatever.
It is either vga (schools and conference rooms) or hdmi (homes)
So connecting a laptop requires a dongle.

The keyboard is not that great.
Aside from the poor key travel, the layout is considerably worse than other laptops. I know that this is a general problem with laptops as all of them are designed by people who have no idea about what makes a good keyboard, but apple laptops are mediocre at best.

The trackpad is really great, if you use that a lot then it might be worth considering.
But if you use the mouse a lot, it will be cheaper (and a better solution) to use a real mouse.

The screen is not that great either.
There is a intentional flaw with the screen where the giant advert on the back lets a lot of light through. You only have to see the screen from a slight angle in a well lit room for you to notice and when you do, the giant apple logo is hard to unsee.
You might not be bothered by that as you always are watching something where colors change a lot but then you still have to deal with glare as they stopped selling matte screens.
The resolution is great though.

I have no personal experience with this, but I have heard a lot of people having trouble with linux on macbooks but this might not be an issue if you just want to use it for facebook.

But if you cannot find a good laptop, just sort by price and pick whatever is the most expensive. That is the only true indicator of quality anyway.
>>
>>51424989
>implying i'm a normie
>implying I want to be one

for instance
>>>maintained
>>what does that even mean?
>normies can't understand context

>>51425018
> bring it to a shop even a MacBook can be maintained.

when did the influx of normie arrive? This is like the second /diy/, I don't trust/pay people to fix shit, I've been doing this from a child it's all I know

>True, but Lenovo has shown in the recent past that they don't care about that so much anymore;

Idk senpai, I have a newer e420 that can still be upgraded to a good range of cpu depending on how much power I want it to consume.

to me, almost every/every other year Lenovo drops a classic tp that can be upgraded, the old design just isn't their only design they want to explore, remember computers are meant to evolve

also
>he thinks people rather chiclet that more traditional, durable keyboard

cmon family
>>
>>51425009
I have, and I still don't know what you're talking about

>shilling this much that I can't have an opinion or viable experience to document

also, the classic thinkpads aren't the only good thinkpads, why df does this board think this?? to many oldfags?
>>
>>51425322
>when did the influx of normie arrive?
I'm just stating that the maintanence aspect becomes moot if a shop is in charge of maintenance. Since we're talking about someone who is considering getting a MacBook, they'll most likely bring it to an Apple store if something is wrong.
>upgrades
But didn't Lenovo decide to solder 4GB of RAM? Just saying, in the future they will surely go the same way Apple went. Enjoy your upgrades until then.
>he thinks X
You're assuming things. I merely said it depends on taste and preference.

Is it that hard for Thinkpad and Mac fanboys to stay objective while talking about their laptops?
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 680x680
>>51423810
>>
>>51425416
>1st point
good point

>But didn't Lenovo decide to solder 4GB of RAM? Just saying, in the future they will surely go the same way Apple went. Enjoy your upgrades until then.

Bruh idk, how much have you had to drink? Idk I havn't gotten that update on my E420, but I'd doubt Lenovo would be so stupid to fall for that b8.

You sound like you want it to happen to laugh in TP fags' faces

>Is it that hard for Thinkpad and Mac fanboys to stay objective while talking about their laptops?

I want that future too, I'm sure people are saying the same for Pakis and Idians or Americans and Slavs.

The issue with us is that imo you're stating things that you want to happen or aren't true or happen rarely and I have to explain why its not necessarily true
>>
>>51424489
You get used to it really fast and after a while you appreciate that you do not have to move that much when you press control.
>>
the macbook will be faster than his lenovo shitbook tho. I don't see the problem.
>>
>>51425552
so a 2015 laptop will be faster than a 2009 laptop?
Who would have known.
>>
>>51425617

well not you apparently since you posted the thread
>>
>>51424482
>Explain to him that macbooks are just children's toys that throttle, has no ports, and mid-tier hardware.

Fixed.
>>
>>51425534
>Bruh idk, how much have you had to drink?
Nothing actually. I just recalled that they ship one 4GB unit soldered and one DIMM-Slot for additional RAM. Might be wrong on that, which is why I posed it as a question.
>you want it to happen
I actually don't because I came to love the Thinkpad series for their ease of upgrades and maintenance. I'm so autistic I sometimes take my x60s apart just for fun. But I also get new Thinkpads every year or so for work and my experience has shown that Lenovo thinks less and less of upgrades (can only speak for the x series though).
>>
>>51423863
He wouldnt have installed all the bloatware if he had a macbook in the first place
>>
>>51425660
>can only speak for the x-series
>literally the shitiest line bar from one (old) model

Even the Edge lineup is better, anon. I tried to into x-seris but nah. If you consider the x1 carbon one of those then they're ok if you're into those kind of ffs, but I rather get a chromebook, I'd never compile any thing that slim because heat
>>
>>51425662
>implying OSX doesn't have malware
>>b-but OSX is less popular so less malware programs

well, true.
>>
>>51425644
>throttle
myth

>no ports
there is a port

>mid-tier hardware
so is tablet hardware and phone hardware. It's a new, thin form factor. It's obviously not as powerful as your thick-ass brick chinkpad or my glorious macbook pro
>>
>>51425896
OSX doesn't let you install non approve apps by default
>>
>>51425860
Since I travel a lot for work I had to get something small and the x series just fit my criteria. The x250 is great though. Runs silently (until W10 decides it wants to let svchost.exe use 40% CPU to download updates...) and weighs less than my Dell Precision M4800 that I used to work with. Only thing I regret is getting the 1080p resolution. Doesn't make any sense and the regular res would've been fine.
>>
>>51425916
u wot m8?
>>
>>51425942
That's his fucking point you dipshit
>>
>>51425907
>myth
Mate...
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5823810
>>
>>51425916
it doesn't let you run *unsigned* apps by default
>>
>>51425907
>myth
wow, there are people who will defend this. The engineering harbours heat which harbours throttling

this will happen to any ultrabook with an i5+ and dgpu, not just you precious secret hipster machine

>>a port
>thinks argument isn't petty

>It's obviously not as powerful as your chinkpad that has an extra .9" or my macbook pro that also throttles and has 2/3 more ports

fixed family
>>
>>51425942
lmao you're retarted senpai
>>
>>51425950

>hurrrrr I have to spend 30 seconds changing a setting once ever for my system

sensible defaults like this are the reason why os x is good for the masses as well as the enthusiast. They prevent normies from fucking shit up but they are flexible for us

suck a dick
>>
>>51425950
no, because you can say the same for android. Which literally has the same feature.
>>
honestly unless your friend has financial problems and you're saving him from getting into debt or some stupid shit you should probably let him make his own choices.

macbooks are fine, especially the macbook air, it's not even particularly more expensive than comparable windows flagships, you guys are just shilling against it because some cunts on a the tech board of a weeb cartoon website told you so.

do you even realise how retarded it is to have this fixed idea that MAC IS BAD, yet you have to ask why?
>>
>>51425958
ahhh, the 2012s. Those were shite. My late 2014 is a beast.
>>
>>51425978
just like Android

>high five
>>
>>51424095

jesus that fn/ctrl setup is gross.
>>
>>51426002
ah yes. I bet you can feel the heat of it's breath when you pet it on your lap
>>
>>51426002
Good for you, but throttling due to thermal issues is still a thing. Just search for "mac throttling" in any search engine.
>>
>>51426046
In OS X command is the main keybindings key so it's really a non-issue
>>
>>51426046
why? mind you, on macs the cmd key is used for most of the stuff you'd use ctrl for on windows

which makes a whole lot of sense ergonomically, actually
>>
File: android.png (369 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
android.png
369 KB, 600x600
>>51426038
kek
>>
File: Johnny-Depp-Lookalike-Melo-01.jpg (43 KB, 350x535) Image search: [Google]
Johnny-Depp-Lookalike-Melo-01.jpg
43 KB, 350x535
>>51425978
> masses as well as the enthusiast
>enthusiast

kek, ah macfags
>>
>>51426046

it's actually glorious. The shortcuts are so much easier to use and learn in OS X

Why the fuck would I need a whole key dedicated to the fucking start menu? I'm sure you can rebind it but god I hate that stupid windows key. At least the command key already comes with good keybindings
>>
>>51426062
that's the issue m8, the real ctrl is where the spacebar should extend if they removed the useless "control" key
>>
>>51426126
Ctrl is still useful for the terminal
>>
>>51426089
>facebook

ayy family xD
>>
>>51426139
remap caps lock to ctrl masterrace
>>
>>51426147
But then I wouldn't have caps lock
>>
>>51426152
you have a shift button for that

two of them, in fact.
>>
>>51426119
>i hate something because it's convinient, has many shortcuts, and defines a product

that's called being a bitter fag, anon
>>
File: 76.png (126 KB, 1916x1038) Image search: [Google]
76.png
126 KB, 1916x1038
I don't see how anyone could prefer OSX over Windows
>>
>>51426158
>holding shift to write full cap sentences or titles
>says it's a convenience

ehem, where's autist?
>>
File: 1447872907316.jpg (431 KB, 1000x2284) Image search: [Google]
1447872907316.jpg
431 KB, 1000x2284
>>51423776
Here, we don't like your kind. We won't support it.

We don't talk for, or against Apple. We don't talk about it at all.
>>
>>51426158
Why the fuck would I hold shift when I can press a key to do that for me?
>>
>>51426187

i just type it out normal in vim and then change the case to caps :^)

and otherwise I have such a low frequency of needing caps lock that it's much more convenient for me to have caps lock as ctrl

EVEN IF SOMETIMES IT IS ANNOYING TO WRITE CAPS USING THE SHIFT BUTTONS
>>
File: 2015-11-19 13_10_26-.png (972 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-19 13_10_26-.png
972 KB, 1366x768
>>51426181
I honestly don't know family
>>
>>51426206

because the inconvenience is worth the convenience of having ctrl right there

makes my programming super elite and fast desu senpai
>>
>>51426199
>financial superiority
But that's FUD, look at >>51424865
If anything, owning a Mac makes you a cheapskate for not getting a comparable Computer from a different company.
>>
>>51426211
lol, I hope my children don't grow up with this level of autism tbqh
>>
>>51426213

good for desktop.

OS X + god-tier trackpad is GOAT for laptops
>>
>>51426246
>good for desktop
what did he mean by this lads? I can't understand inconspicuous arrangements

>OS X + god-tier trackpad is GOAT for laptops

is it better than win 10 + the God tier trackpad I have? I want you opinion so much anon san senpai
>>
>>51423776
I bought a mac. Now I have AIDS
>>
>>51426284

win 10 can't into smooth scrolling anyway with trackpads tho, ur fucked m8 desu senpai baka
>>
>>51424959
>buying from Apple

buy used Macbooks on Craigslist

I bought mine and my moms from people on craigslist - basically brand new (<50 charge cycles), still under warranty, and no issues when running diagnostics, for WAY cheaper

Got my mom's 2015 rMBP 13" for $900
>>
>>51426181
VS is literally the only good thing about Winblows, unless you're a gaymen manchild.

Enjoy your forty copies of C++ redistributable, your babylon toolbar, your corrupted registry, and your natural gradual system slowdown until reinstallation every two years :^)

Oh, and if you happen to be on a laptop, enjoy the hard choice between performance/battery life/screen quality and your non-choice of a shit trackpad included with your purchase!

Seriously son.
>>
i like both OS X and Windows 10 and know the most useful keyboard commands for each

<Windows 10 is pretty great for window snapping (win key + arrows) - have to install 3rd party software (spectacle) for this on os x

<it's easier to find good freeware on Windows, but easier to pirate without becoming a bitcoin miner on OS X

<windows taskbar is better than OS X dock, but using gestures in os x (mission control, switching virtual desktops) mitigates this experience

<keyboard commands on os x make a bit more sense (wish W and Q weren't so close to each other tho)

<os x seems to be a bit better at indexing (faster results in spotlight search vs. win key & start typing)

<os x is better at managing/auto switching audio output.. realtek is horrible.

both have their strengths and weaknesses - /g/ is like /v/ 2.0 with this OS X vs. Windows thing
>>
>>51426308
are you talking about the reverse scroolling or just smooth scroling?

Cuz I've even does this on windows 7 tbqf mynigg desu senpai
>>
>>51426459
>VS is literally the only good thing about Winblows,
no its not it just werks : >) and has more programs
>>
>>51426564
smooth scrolling is shit on windows, and is only accomplished by 3rd party software and is ALWAYS janky

>turn on smooth scrolling in logitech settings
>flick scroll and then try to do a keyboard command involving "CTRL" before it's finished scrolling
>shit zooms in or out depending on which way it was scrolling
>>
>>51426559
family, most of us knows this, just having a bit of fun m80
>>
it's probably gonna be slower than his current machine.
tell him to get the MBP instead. same price, better performance, actually has ports
>>
>>51426584
>synaptic driver
>3rd party
>hasn't been "janky" since 4 years ago

wot? Also maybe you shouldn't have gotten the cheapest Acer netbook :<)
>>
>>51426611
Dell XPS 13" 2013 model, bruh
>>
File: hfyzxn.png (208 KB, 822x995) Image search: [Google]
hfyzxn.png
208 KB, 822x995
>>51426053
Good for you, but throttling due to thermal issues is still a thing. Just search for "X laptop brand throttling" in any search engine.
>>
>>51426641
lol I don't believe the shit you're spouting nigga. bye been nice b8in :')
>>
>>51426645
omg, is a macfag comparing something from 2011 with something in 2015?? I'm sitting here, witnessing a macfag admit that their pos hardware is not better than something from 2011.

wow, can't believe I was at my home eating dhal when I saw macfags get btfo, truly historic, this.
>>
Dear FUCK laptops with higher than Full HD resolution are expensive.

I just wanted WQHD or some shit.

Fucking 2.5 to 3k euros.
>>
>>51426089
desu the android emoji blobs are super cute
>>
Tell him the 13" rMBP costs the same and is better in every possible way.
>>
File: smug-00015.png (140 KB, 369x360) Image search: [Google]
smug-00015.png
140 KB, 369x360
>>51426907
>I-it's impossible that I was wrong
Not even him. I remember when I used to hate on Macs while posting from my ThinkPad, then I got a Mac.
>>
>>51426577
VS is shit, like windows itself
>>
>>51427165
well at least you use poppers before anal sex, that's good.
>>
>>51427295
Jokes on you, I'm a virgin and that will not change any time soon, probably ever.
>>
>>51427353
You're also christian, which means anal fucking is a loophole, I'm not falling for you faggot tricks

also he's wrong because I've used it and had no problems
>>
I work for a generic IT/computer company. Many of us like MacBooks. None of those are really major fan boys of Apple in general though (maybe 1.) People just use what they want. I've noticed the Mac users have no interest in arguing what is better yet the hardcore Microsoft fanboys (we have 2) won't stop trying to put it down and say hurr durr overpriced, can't repair, etc.

Honestly I've seen so many different laptops in front of me. The Mac hardware build quality is yet to be rivalled. The screen is beautiful. The trackpad is the best i've used and nothings come close. The battery life (when using OSX) is very VERY good. Setting up Windows if you want to boot camp is made very easy. One of the other main gripes is taking it apart to repair it etc. I don't know about other people but generally I would be uncomfortable doing that as its so expensive. I bought Apple care for piece of mind, and generally Apple are very considerate.

Downsides? They get hot as fuck, because of the aluminium casing, and the keyboard is a love or hate kinda thing. The only other major downer is lack of an RJ-45. You can buy the adapter (I have one, but I've yet to need it in about 6 months.)

I'm only talking about MacBook Pro's here though. The air and 'The Macbook' would only be good for casual users who e-mail and browse the web. Anything technical and you definately want to go down the MacBook pro route.

Software wise OS X is good. If you're not just slamming it because 'stop liking what I don't like', you'll realise it's roots are in various OS's like UNIX and BSD. It is capable of a hell of a lot more than casual people give it credit for. It now uses the Bash shell by default too and you can install others. It has a ton of functionality out of the box

I run OS X, Windows and Linux on it. I enjoy learning about them all. I like other laptops too. But the MacBook Pro is very, very nice and it's hard to argue otherwise other than preference.
>>
>>51424865
Lenovo realizes there is a thinkpad meme so price gouges now.
>>
>>51423776
macbook
or macbook pro?
The new macbook is trash. Tiny, slow, shitty key board, hot...
The pro on the other hand, is the best laptop money can buy.
>>
I recently bought a rMBP after never having owned a mac product ever. Don't regret my purchase one bit but I did struggle to understand how anyone could justify the macbook vs the macbook pro...
>>
>>51423776
tell him that it will be about as fast as his lenovo from 2009
even slower after medium-high load
>>
>>51424429
actually it's really nice
you can copy and past into terminal with the keyboard
>>
>>51428612
> muh processor synthetic benchmark
>>
>>51426181
I actually thought the same until I bought my MBP recently. Went on my windows desktop for the first time in weeks the other day, was reinstalled less than 6 months ago, went to share some media on my network, couldn't, somehow the search index had become uninstalled so I spent an hour looking up fixes and trawling through regedit and services to try and fix it.
Made me want to go back to OS X more than ever.
It's a really nice OS with a lot of polish and attention to detail.
>>
Because a macbook pro 13 inch is way faster and overall better
>>
>>51428881
What is this even meant to imply?
That I think the rMBP is better than the standard macbook because of synthetic benchmark performance?
>>
>>51429145
Yes
>>
>>51429094
are you being sarcastic?
>>
>>51429173
Well, for a start the rMBP has a better CPU hands down, better cooling due to a larger case, more than 1 port (Most retarded thing i've ever seen honestly) And then I personally prefer the thicker look of the rMBP but that's me.
>>
>MFW I just installed Windows on a separate partition on my rMBP
>These plebs think we're missing out on anything
>>
>>51424981
I buy my computers to use them, not to sell them.
>>
there is no reason in almost 2016 not to own a macbook or macbook pro. also, op, you sound like a controlling faggot. your friend is going to spend his money however the fuck he she or it wants to.
>>
>>51430542
>there is no reason to not own a macbook

Why would you even want a macbook?
They're shit.
Decent hardware, shit keyboard layout, unserviceable, shit os, mediocre build quality.

Is osx still limited to a single mouse button?
>>
>>51424095
I never used ctrl key. Its in a very uncomfortable position. Map caps to ctrl. Not a macfag but the command key position is better than placing it at the corner.
>>
>trying to tell friends what to do
>trying to tell retards they're retarded
>giving a shit what others do with their money

Fuck man, seriously. You big neckbearded manbaby calm down and have fun with your 2001 hardware, let him enjoy his 2001 hardware equivalent.
>>
>>51423776
suck his dick. then afterwards tell him that wanting a macbook has turned him gay
>>
>>51430601
>Is osx still limited to a single mouse button?
It never was.
Shows how out of touch some people are.
Still stuck with Unka Bill's 640K limit?
Still getting 2 devices on the one drive letter?
>>
File: Black-woman-white-man.jpg (203 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
Black-woman-white-man.jpg
203 KB, 900x600
To be honest and try not to shill I actually did recently purchase a rMBP 13 2015 and I've used windows my entire life up until now including building a powerful gaming rig + Multiple laptops of varying strengths (Such as this quad core i7 + Discrete GPU I have) and whatnot.

Pros:
> Excellent build quality - When I shut the screen the keys and screen don't seem to touch which means it's a very precise build that I enjoy. Everything else is sturdy and excellent such as the hinge.
> Trackpad is GOAT, it's not like how people say where it will BLOW YOUR FUCKING MIND, but I really enjoy using it to the point that I actually don't want to use a mouse. With windows I ALWAYS needed a mouse. I especially like all the gestures such as being able to go between windows with a 3 windowed swipe so I can shitpost on 4chan then immediatly finish some code I was working on.
> Screen is great. It uses an AR Coating instead of a matte layer which means the color and brightness of the display are fantastic BUT there is the staingate problem which I hope I don't get but atleast Apple will cover it up to 3 years from now in case I do.
> Fantastic battery life. Also I honestly appreciate apple being honest about the battery life. I'm fucking tired of advertisers saying "10 HOURS FULL DAY BATTERY LIFE" and their testing is 0% Brightness on idle and a normal person would get 5-6%. If you aren't running intense stuff such as autocad or running multiple VMs you indeed do get 9-10 hours as advertised. Strangely I've noticed safari was considerably better than all the other browsers in regards to battery performance.
> Holds its value exceptionally well. As meme-tastic as that sounds. If I take good care of it I'm hoping to sell it in a few years for 60%+ of its cost to me, with literally any windows laptop even the most high end variants I'd honestly be lucky to get 20% and I know that from experience.
>>
>>51435272
the "single button mouse" misconception really well-illustrates the fault of most* apple critics: they see something that looks odd superficially and proceed to have panic attacks over their worst-case inferences without making any effort to better understand the thing they're clearly misunderstanding.

I see a lot of people shitting on OS X because they think it's less powerful than Windows, and then someone who knows about shells and shit shows up and explains all that to them and then these people all disappear, as if lost in the face of a few facts.

These people similarly tend to project their experiences with iPhones to MBPs and whatnot, thinking that the locked down nature of iOS must *definitely* map to OS X.
>>
>>51436507
Cons:
> Fucking expensive, I stacked up a ton of coupons and discounts and price matches to get it considerably cheaper than what it normally is. I don't think I'd ever pay full price for it.
> It has this sort of grounding issue. So when you plug in the AC adapter to charge it and use it, when you run your finger across the metal of say the palmrest you feel a weird sort of buzzy sensation due to the how Apple designed the charging which is basically:

CONDUCTIVE MATERIAL (Metal chassis)
INSULATING MATERIAL
POWER CIRCUITRY

So it basically develops a capacitance and I feel a small amount of current. Apparently this is extremely common since the law states you need at least 2 layers of insulation if you don't have a dedicated grounding pin (As the magsafe only has 2 pins and not the 3rd GND) but it's more noticeable on metal laptops.

> I'm super paranoid about it at all times. I paid a fuck ton for it and I want it to be pristine so I can sell it later and not have to drop it down $200 because of a scratch so I'm constantly checking it for nicks and scratches even though it's in a neoprene case and the laptop itself has a hard shell case I bought.

> Makes me a macfag

Overall I say it's the best laptop I've ever had to date and I enjoy it. But like I said it's just a bit too pricey for me to enjoy it but I'd say macbooks are better than other ultrabook tier things if NOTHING else than for the fact that you can actually sell it for something more than 20% in a couple years. As much as I wanted to try an XPS or Surface, I'm already seeing them used and refurbished for 50% literally the very next year while on CL I see 2011 Macbooks being sold for $700-900 and people actually buying them. Are they retarded? Maybe, but they're still selling
>>
>>51424095

Noice. I want one myself.
>>
>>51425057
That seems weird, since I assume those'd be i/o bound not CPU.

I've owned a whole bunch of Apple laptops (including a couple rMBPs) and have never had occasion to use firewire or thunderbolt. Can count the times I've connected them to an external display on one hand (only ever tried that after they put proper HDMI ports on them). I can do without all the ports on a laptop, I just wouldn't want one that lagged in >2015 for that price.
>>
>>51424890

trackpad on x220 is shit tier and speakers on t420 dog-shit-tier but the speakers on my x220 tablet is acceptable and works alright. ofc rmbp speakers kick lenovo's ass, but well...
>>
>>51426359
>buying macs from craig's

enjoy your stolen hardware
>>
>>51425942

reading is caring anon, please read more
>>
>>51425940

I have this res, and also thought it was an issue, when i zoomed everithing from the display, web browser and text prossesor then i was ok and was grateful for the high pixel density
>>
>>51423776
It's underpowered and the keyboard is shit

Unless he needs ultra-mobility he should the the rMBP
>>
let him do it, laugh at his expense when he has trouble with various applications and forceware shit.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.